+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Honestly, I always believed they paired her with Derek because they had every intention of milking the DD thing, and which male pro comes closest to being their Patrick Swayze? His stature, etc. is the closest to Patrick they have available. What I didn't think was that they'd dive straight in and go for her jugular with the DD thing. She certainly wasn't expecting that song, and Derek looked as if he had no idea it was from the movie(hard to imagine but not everyone saw that movie countless times). They went for that reaction and when they got it they chased her down so they could capture every heart wrenching moment (they had to know when someone runs they want a moment alone). Nope, they want to milk it, then give it the highest score (which I don't think it deserved-they were a point or two off). Then of course they want everyone to feel the emotion and vote like mad so they get the chance to do that dance again. This is the type of thing that always drove me crazy about DWTS (along with the fact that they will have these seasons where they know they have a great dancer like a Mya or a Nicole, and instead of just saving them to compete against each other they will have them in there with a Kate, Buzz or someone of that ilk).
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 09-21-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

I used to like Derek and I still think he's a really good choreographer but think it's unfair that he never seems to get a celebrity who's not a good dancer or with great potential unlike the others who all seem to have to pay their dues at times. He's also the golden child of the judges who seemingly can do no wrong or at most just a little slap on the wrist. I like Jennifer and doubt she's really a ringer but her being paired with Derek is one of the reasons I'm not watching the show this season. The other is I'm still mad that Nicole the true ringer won last season.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4065549;
    Honestly, I always believed they paired her with Derek because they had every intention of milking the DD thing, and which male pro comes closest to being their Patrick Swayze? His stature, etc. is the closest to Patrick they have available. What I didn't think was that they'd dive straight in and go for her jugular with the DD thing. She certainly wasn't expecting that song, and Derek looked as if he had no idea it was from the movie(hard to imagine but not everyone saw that movie countless times). They went for that reaction and when they got it they chased her down so they could capture every heart wrenching moment (they had to know when someone runs they want a moment alone). Nope, they want to milk it . . .
    When I heard what the song choice was for her, I was like "Oh, no they didn't . . .!" Yes, they did. Bless her heart for at first being so brave and then trying to find a private space to cry while being chased by cameras.

I am 6 years younger than Jennifer, but still consider her a peer. I watched Dirty Dancing several times when it came out in the theatre. I was in college at the time. Jenn, though she was playing an 18-year-old high school graduate was actually a decade older at the time. This is why she looks so great at 50! She's always looked young. She moves wonderfully, too, due to her tiny dancer's frame. I'm sure the daughter of Dancin' Joel Grey, and a true Hollywood princess took dancing lessons in her younger years. I think Derek will take her quite far. Despite feeling that HE doesn't deserve another win so soon, I'm rooting for her to go the distance. Go Cougars!

Did a little math last night and I feel decrepit--by my reckoning, Derek was all of 2 years old when Dirty Dancing came out in 1987. Yikes. So, no wonder he's not that familiar with the movie. Even though I would have expected him to have run across it in the course of dreaming of a career in dancing. Patrick Swayze was exquisite.

Imagine how Jenn must feel, though. She's gotta be all perky and sexy on the dance floor and meanwhile she's thinking "I could be his mother." Or at least WE are thinking it. She looks great though. It was not mentioned last night, but Jennifer has been undergoing treatment for cancer. If she is still in treatment, then she gets an extra gold star for bravery. This show is grueling even on the healthy 20-somethings.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I never think about age difference between dancers. I do not like Derek, but I do like Jennifer. I think she did a great job and I'm hoping, based on what I saw last night, that she makes it to the finals.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Rooting somewhat for Jennifer early on. To me, she's still the sister from Ferris Bueller, not Baby from DD. I HATE that the cameras followed her. That was offensive to me.

As to the nose thing - doesn't anyone remember her ill-fated TV show where she essentially played herself? Of course it was a nose job. She never hid that until recently.

Interesting that NightLine did a piece last night on how Hollywood has reversed it's stance on cosmetic surgery and "enhancements" and is now looking for all natural. They interviewed casting agents who said it was almost always obvious when someone had had something done and that would preclude them getting a part. Maybe that's why Jennifer is trying to diffuse the who "nose job" thing. If she wanted it done, okay. It is her body. But now she may not want to own up to it due to the stigma it seems to be getting. Perhaps the backlash started with Michael Jackson's freakishly going too far and has mounted with Lisa Renna, Heidi Montag and others who have expressed regret over what they've had done - especially because many proceedures are botched.

I'm not familiar with the songs from Dirty Dancing other than having had "Time of My Life" shoved down our throats at every wedding, etc. where there is a cheesy singer. So "song choice" had no effect on me. That said, I did NOT get all the gushing. I thought Brandy's waltz was twice as good. Jennifer was maybe ahead of Bristol and Michael all around, and in dance but not entertainment beat out Florence and Hoff in my opinion.
    Audrina, Kyle(?), and Brandy at least should be ahead of her at the end.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fanatic

She said in the media that she wanted to dance for Patrick Swayze. I think she did a beautiful tribute. If she was over emotional about the prformance, so be it. It had to be hard to have those memories well up inside of her.

FORT fan

I hate it when reality shows milk real life tragedy for their purposes. I couldn't watch. I like her but I hope her whole story the whole season isn't about Patrick Swayze. That will get old fast and I'll stop watching. As for Derek, he's a great choreographer but his self absorption is off putting. And Brook Burke needs to be as "for" everyone as she always is for Derek. I know they danced together and she has affection for him but she's wearing a different hat now and needs to realize it. Plus Derek doesn't need anymore pumping up, he's so pumped (self important) he's going to explode.

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by needsalife;4066334;
    I hate it when reality shows milk real life tragedy for their purposes. I couldn't watch. I like her but I hope her whole story the whole season isn't about Patrick Swayze. That will get old fast and I'll stop watching. As for Derek, he's a great choreographer but his self absorption is off putting. And Brook Burke needs to be as "for" everyone as she always is for Derek. I know they danced together and she has affection for him but she's wearing a different hat now and needs to realize it. Plus Derek doesn't need anymore pumping up, he's so pumped (self important) he's going to explode.
    They certainly knew what would get people to vote their feelings for Jennifer. Actually, she was good without that little show. I can see her going all the way, but wish it weren't with Derek.

+ Reply to Thread