+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Thanks, Anders, for clarifying for everyone the proper use of "I" amd "me." My father was also a stickler for proper grammer (his father was a newspaper editor) and, though don't always speak correctly, the trick of taking the other person out of the sentence works every time. (Now if I could always keep who and whom straight!)
    On another note, when they were on GMA, Jennifer did say it properly. I wonder if someone said something to her?

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4115097;
    Thanks, Anders, for clarifying for everyone the proper use of "I" amd "me." My father was also a stickler for proper grammer (his father was a newspaper editor) and, though don't always speak correctly, the trick of taking the other person out of the sentence works every time. (Now if I could always keep who and whom straight!)
    On another note, when they were on GMA, Jennifer did say it properly. I wonder if someone said something to her?
    I had trouble with who and whom until I read that if you exchange he and him for them (he/who, him/whom) you can *usually* figure it out. I wish someone would have told me that in school 25 years ago! I knew to figure out the me/I problem it was easiest to take out the 2nd person to figure out which one to use.

I'm satisfied that Jennifer and Derek won. I think she was the best. I was rooting for her along with others during the season, but truthfully I liked Kyle's freestyle better. I didn't think Jennifer deserved all those 10's but looking at the totality of the season she certainly was the best dancer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4114951;
    I think she just wanted to be a part of the history of the show, one that Patrick supported when it first came out. She also reignited her passion for dance that she had when she was a child, so I'd say she's come out ahead no matter what the result.
    Given that she has a husband with a reasonably successful acting career, I'd say that Jennifer did the show because she wanted to - not because she had to. Plus, she's 50 years old. Opportunities for women in that age bracket are limited, so to think this show would do much of anything for her career is pretty naive, I think.

In my very humble opinion, there are people who go on this show for the experience - not necessarily for the money or as a career booster. I choose to believe (rightly or wrongly), that Jennifer is one of them. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and hard to pass up - esp. at a certain age.

Quote Originally Posted by law638;4115016;
    I am 53 & proud of it. I was a police officer for 20 years. If you think that the pain & whatever was a ploy to gather votes, I think not. After 20 years, every bone in my body hurts, no I am not a wussy, it HURTS. It seemed to make sense when I was 21, not so much now. That girl worked her butt off & deserved that MBT.
    One has to experience a back injury him/herself to fully understand the degree of pain it involves. Even a pinched nerve along the spine is excrutiating (I have first-hand experience). Jennifer's issues are not only real, they are really painful (I noticed on the finale when they went to get their trophy, Jennifer put her hand to her lower back for a moment. I'm familiar with that motion, and it indicates she was in pain).

I loved everything about Jennifer on the show:
    • She is 50 and still very athletic
    • She is 50 and still looks amazing (she could easily pass for 25 years younger)
    • She knows her body, namely what will work to make it work and stood her ground about it
    • She demonstrated great courage and perseverance
    • etc.
    Meh. It's late, and I've turned into a rambling fool. Suffice it to say, I have great admiration for Jennifer and am thrilled she is in the ranks of the winners.

The only negative thing I have to say about her is that I wish she never had a nose job. Although that meant alot to her at the time, and I guess I understand - esp. living within Hollywood standards.

Oh, and speaking of careers...i wonder if she gets residuals from Dirty Dancing and Ferris Bueller's Day Off when they are played on TV (i.e. like sitcoms)???. It's probably unlikely, but if she did, she might be doing just fine financially.
    Last edited by Jexter; 11-27-2010 at 03:40 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4115274;
    The only negative thing I have to say about her is that I wish she never had a nose job. Although that meant alot to her at the time, and I guess I understand - esp. living within Hollywood standards.
    I guess I'm in the minority in thinking she doesn't really look that different! As far as her "old" nose affecting her career, though ... if you look at Meryl Streep's profile, her nose has a bump and slopes down from there, and I'd say it hasn't hurt her career one bit!

The problem with Jennifer, though, is that she didn't get jobs after the nose job.

Hollywood, pretty much, turned their back on her.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4115715;
    The problem with Jennifer, though, is that she didn't get jobs after the nose job.

Hollywood, pretty much, turned their back on her.
    But why would that be? Maybe her agent was bad or she was busy with a family? Or maybe she wasn't a great actress? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4115853;
    But why would that be? Maybe her agent was bad or she was busy with a family? Or maybe she wasn't a great actress? Anyone know?
    It's my understanding that her fame from the movie went big shortly after the auto accident in which two people were killed and her boyfriend (Ben Stiller?) was badly hurt. She apparently went into a bad surviver's guilt depression and withdrew from the industry. At least that's the story she tells now.

Quote Originally Posted by Solanos Gal;4116116;
    It's my understanding that her fame from the movie went big shortly after the auto accident in which two people were killed and her boyfriend (Ben Stiller?) was badly hurt. She apparently went into a bad surviver's guilt depression and withdrew from the industry. At least that's the story she tells now.
    Matthew Broderick was the boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4115853;
    She was so totally unrecognizable. That's why.
    Unfortunately, hollywood can be like that.
    She was actually on some show - can't remember the name of it - where they lampooned her. She played herself; the actress nobody could equate with her former self.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

It could just be her star wasn't there anymore. I'm sure changing her appearance to where she was unrecognizable didn't help. But how often is some celeb everywhere, getting lead parts, and then 5 years later you never hear about them again. Obviously there's exceptions, but it seems a lot of stars fizzle out after their respective decade is done and someone new comes along. It was hard enough for me to look at Jennifer Grey as the same Jennifer Grey who starred in one of my favorite movies. I'm sure offers will come her way from the show. Whether her career boost is long lasting remains to be seen.

+ Reply to Thread