+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Our local paper thinks J is doomed unless she really nails her next performance on all levels---because of the fan groups of the remaining celebs.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4100538;

I With her dances this week and next, I bet she's going to climb back up and have some wonderful turnaround. Just how this show goes
    You nailed it right there. I say this because Derek was shown giving her the pep talk about rallying and and Apolo told her that she's made it this far so it's time to push harder and work through any issues she may have. So yeah, it's all set up for her to "overcome" her physical difficulties and succeed with the end game being the mirror ball trophy. Bleh.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4101034;
    You nailed it right there. I say this because Derek was shown giving her the pep talk about rallying and and Apolo told her that she's made it this far so it's time to push harder and work through any issues she may have. So yeah, it's all set up for her to "overcome" her physical difficulties and succeed with the end game being the mirror ball trophy. Bleh.
    Yeah, I expect next week everything will be all happy, no talk of injuries (or if there is, it'll be more positive than we've seen), she'll come out and wow the judges even more and get a perfect 60, and then we'll hear from Brooke and Derek how fantastic she's doing for being 50 and having those ailments. Her dad made a touching cameo, she got the first perfect score (undeserved, imo-at most I would have given that dance 3 9s, but considering Bristol was 2-3 points behind with the judges...yeah). Brandy's been pegged the front runner and mirror ball contender since TV theme week, and now she'll fall from glory and Jennifer will climb back up. This way, the show can say it's all unpredictable and wide open playing field.

While the last outcome I want, besides Bristol, is these two winning, I realize I don't even care that much. It's just so obvious, and this season in general has just been a huge letdown.

I really enjoyed seeing Jennifer's father, Joel Grey, in this week's episode. He's such an enormously talented man. I'd been wondering if he'd ever put in an appearance on the show.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

While I realize that everyone has a different threshold for pain, I was unable to suspend disbelief about Jennifer's knee ailment after I saw her jump up and down in heels when she received her scores from the first dance on Monday night.

She also does an awful lot of shimmying and shaking in the introductory line up that leads me to believe she's either on some major pain relief drugs or that the ailments are not as bad as they are making them out to be in the footage. The flip side is that she may be a much better actress than I gave her credit to be and that is how she is able to dance beautifully in heels without wincing in pain.

It loks to me like she's on major drugs. I say that based on the comments she makes to Brooke and / or to the judges.
    I've seen her many times before and she's come off a lot differently.
    I agree that it's hard to equate someone being in so much pain / difficulty, and then going out and performing so well. I do think a lot of it, as others have said, is the same with athletes who work through the pain and / or performers who must do the same in a performance.
    I do think the edit she's getting is as bad as the one that Nicole got last season. Same with Brandy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

You'd think by now she would have heard the negative feedback and stopped highlighting her pain (or asked the producers to stop it). I do believe the pain is real and she is performing thru sheer grit and determination. I have to admire that.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;4103233;
    While I realize that everyone has a different threshold for pain, I was unable to suspend disbelief about Jennifer's knee ailment after I saw her jump up and down in heels when she received her scores from the first dance on Monday night. She also does an awful lot of shimmying and shaking... leads me to believe she's either on some major pain relief drugs or that the ailments are not as bad as they are making them out to be ...
    I've worked while in pain and performed while in pain MANY times, WITHOUT drugs. There's something that takes over your mind while you're on display. Not sure if it's adrenaline, or distraction, or just an intense focus on the task at hand. But something temporarily hides the pain and lets you do the job as if you're in perfect health. Even with a pulled muscle, you can fling your leg high when the pressure is on. (You pay the price afterward!) With a damaged knee which forced me to pull on a handrail and limp upstairs, I could still RUN UP STAIRS when an emergency happened. I don't know why. It just happens. I'm inclined to think it's NOT a threshhold-of-pain issue. I think it's a stardom issue. i.e not a self-sacrifice-work-through-pain issue, but rather a I-dont-feel-the-pain-because-I'm-performing-on-national-television issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;4103616;
    I've worked while in pain and performed while in pain MANY times, WITHOUT drugs. There's something that takes over your mind while you're on display. Not sure if it's adrenaline, or distraction, or just an intense focus on the task at hand. But something temporarily hides the pain and lets you do the job as if you're in perfect health. Even with a pulled muscle, you can fling your leg high when the pressure is on. (You pay the price afterward!) With a damaged knee which forced me to pull on a handrail and limp upstairs, I could still RUN UP STAIRS when an emergency happened. I don't know why. It just happens. I'm inclined to think it's NOT a threshhold-of-pain issue. I think it's a stardom issue. i.e not a self-sacrifice-work-through-pain issue, but rather a I-dont-feel-the-pain-because-I'm-performing-on-national-television issue.
    I completely agree. I have had to perform ice skating routines on injuries that caused me to limp out of the arena afterwards. You just grit your teeth and do it! You do what you can to support the injury so that it doesn't get injured further and hope for the best. The pain is still there, but you push through it and fix the problem later.

Does anyone remember Keri Shrug, the Olympic gymnast. She had a severely sprained ankle, but she had to land one last vault so that the USA team could win the gold. She did the vault, collapsed on the mat afterward and was carried off by her coach. They won the gold.

I believe she's in pain and has been put the the meat grinder to get as far as she has on this show. She's a 50 year old woman who's dancing like a person in their 20s or 30s. What can you expect? I don't believe any of her complaints aren't real.

That said, I think her edit is bad. Really bad! Her health issues are NOT gaining her any support and are turning many people off mostly because they.don't.belive.her. IMO, Jennifer should ask to have the "story" about her daily aches, pains, and visits with the doctor stopped asap.

I want her to win and think I'd better start voting for her...which I haven't done at all this season.

+ Reply to Thread