+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4097593;
    I don't think it's Jennifer's age that would be a problem for Derek, rather her over emotional reaction to criticism, etc. She seems to fall apart easily, and then he has to deal with that before they can get back to practice.
    Her emotional reactions are more to her own physical limitations and pain than to his criticisms, which don't seem to be that harsh really. She had that one tantrum a few weeks ago, but since then it's been about her body giving out, and Derek seems to be very supportive to her about it.

I agree with fluff about the attitude that "if Jen needs to complain so much, she should drop out." She's not displaying the attitude that she wants to leave. Once these stars sign up, unless they turn into total PITAs, the producers probably do everything in their power to make sure that stars don't get despondent enough to want to leave. And if they get that bad, the producers probably bring the tough love, and start talking about contractual obligations, etc.

It would explain Bristol's sadness this week, at least.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I love Jen. I don't see anything wrong if she wants to cry. Some people are more emotional than others. Remember, she's been through a lot physically more than all the contestants. The pressure must be really hard sometimes for her.

FORT Newbie

The pressure is hard for everyone. And yeah, Jennifer's been through a lot physically, but she chose to sign up for this show after recently having had surgery. So she can suck it up, for all I care. I was a lot more tolerant in the beginning, but now that she's cried for what seems to have been several weeks on end, I'm over it. Other contestants have injured themselves during the show and soldiered on without complaining/crying half as much as she has.

Plus, remember as I mentioned before Patrick Swayze said that Jennifer has a very emotional/dramatic personality in general, so I think it's a stretch to chalk up her tears to her suffering more physically. She's always been this way. Yes, some people are more emotional than others, and there's nothing wrong with being emotional, but there's such a thing as being overly emotional and sensitive. And Jennifer IMO crosses that line. Obviously YMMV. But I hate being around people who seem to cry at the drop of a hat, and it's no better watching them on TV.

I feel sorry for Derek. He needs someone who is cool and levelheaded for once. He had Lil Kim a few seasons ago, she seemed like fun.
    Last edited by bibbitybobbityb; 11-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I realize that it's all editing's perspective, but it doesn't help to see Jennifer crying and complaining about whatever problem she's having that week, but then see her backstage doing splits and nailing her dance. Is it more she can't take the criticism, is under too much pressure (what I believe Brandy's main flaw is)? I don't know. I don't think she and Derek are at odds. But he seems different this season (for the better). Largely ungoofy, not as mugging, sticking to more traditional dancing vs throwing in gimmicks and theatrics (unless it's a theme week). Maybe it's the age difference. I think Derek's been luckier in not only getting partners with experience/potential, but ones he can also get along with. I know there were rumors Lil Kim was often late to rehearsals and a bit of a diva, and that he blew up with Brooke and Joanna, but, for the most part, they seemed cool.

I'm slightly hopeful there's a chance Jennifer won't win.

So the best dancer shouldn't win, but the one who complains the least in rehearsals should. Well, the way Bristol keeps staying that just may be the case this season!

Quote Originally Posted by maryhse;4100275;
    So the best dancer shouldn't win, but the one who complains the least in rehearsals should. Well, the way Bristol keeps staying that just may be the case this season!
    For me, it's not about who is the 'best' dancer. When I vote, I vote on three key points....1.) Progress. Is the star improving each week? 2.) Was I entertained? You can have a star dance a perfect dance but that doesn't mean the choreography was good or that it was engaging. 3.) Attitude. Positive, upbeat, and willing to put in the work that is required of them.

I can't fault that Jennifer is a wonderful dancer. But the whining does get old. There has to be other clips the producers can show us. There has to be. I had back surgery two years ago and I work four 10 hour days...on my feet the whole time in a very physical job. I don't complain too much because the fact is...I choose to be there, I choose to do that particular job.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Newbie

I rented The West Side Waltz over the weekend because the mentioned stars were Shirley MacLaine and Liza Minnelli. As it happens, Jennifer Grey was in it, also. Throughout the movie, I kept expecting her to break into a dance routine...but, it did not happen. It thought it was a good story and I believe her fans will enjoy watching it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4100304;
    For me, it's not about who is the 'best' dancer. When I vote, I vote on three key points....1.) Progress. Is the star improving each week? 2.) Was I entertained? You can have a star dance a perfect dance but that doesn't mean the choreography was good or that it was engaging. 3.) Attitude. Positive, upbeat, and willing to put in the work that is required of them.

I can't fault that Jennifer is a wonderful dancer. But the whining does get old. There has to be other clips the producers can show us. There has to be. I had back surgery two years ago and I work four 10 hour days...on my feet the whole time in a very physical job. I don't complain too much because the fact is...I choose to be there, I choose to do that particular job.
    In the end, I'd never vote for the worst clunker when it came down to it. But I like seeing someone, like Audrina, who isn't horrible, but who has the ability and potential to improve, and keeps improving every week. Likes being there, is respectful to her partner, is enjoying the experience. It's part of the reason I want Kurt in the finals. He may not be the best dancer left, but I admire his spirit and determination (plus I hate the judges skewing towards their favorites and blasting anyone else). It's all about popularity in the end, whether it's because of the pro or the celeb. Part of why I wouldn't mind a batch of new pros, so then it'd really be about the celeb for a change.

I think a lot of people on here can say they have health issues. I do, at a young age, so while I admire Jennifer for sticking around, she's not getting any extra credit from me. They've had people old enough to be her parents on here who didn't complain, others who danced just fine with injuries. Unless the producers didn't show us those clips. I think her attitude has been more with the edit and remarks/scores she's been getting vs anything else. With her dances this week and next, I bet she's going to climb back up and have some wonderful turnaround. Just how this show goes I hope with the insta-dance tonight, the judges cut the couples a little slack. Obviously I won't be surprised if there's a lot of bad timing to the music, but Jennifer got it easy with the rumba. So I hope there's not a lot of grandstanding because she nailed it and everyone else failed (I think it's a stupid twist as it is, and maybe I'm wrong, maybe she won't nail it).

I'll always vote for my favourite until they are gone, then start voting for the person I want to see win the trophy. In a finale with jennifer - I can safely say I likely won't vote for her. The judges have a lot of influence when it comes down to the finale, so unless Brandy is in the f2 with Jennifer, it's a given Jennifer will win. Brandy is the only one left who can really bring the performance required to knock out J/D
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread