+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4096565;
    I AM over 50 and the way I feel when I hear Jennifer complain is, well then maybe you need to leave! I couldn't do what she is doing, but it is something she chose to do. My feeling was that she was almost saying she "couldn't do it anymore."
    I tend to give the celebs a pass on commenting/complaining about the physical toll this show takes on your body, because it seems that most don't realize just how much pain is involved when they sign on. That said, Jennifer is the only one who should have had a clue, since she must have gone through similar training for DD, albeit with a younger body. If she didn't think she was up to it, due to her medical conditions, maybe she should have waited until next season to tell us she was 51.

This season was a perfect storm of circumstances for Jennifer. The reason she found and caught her cancer was because she went for a physical when she was thinking of doing the show. Patrick Swayze died in the past year. Her story doesn't need milking, and I don't think she is playing it up or wallowing more than a person in her shoes should. The show edits what they get in rehearsals and decides what we see. If she's in a lot of pain and her doctor is advising her to be careful, is she supposed to conceal that and slap a smile on her face for the camera? Sheesh...she's not the devil for corn sake.

Not to mention, her dance selection has been heavy on the Latin, where she has to do tons of pivots and whip her neck left to right. She had that one breezy waltz to start off, but since then it's been pretty grueling, and Derek doesn't seem to be going any easier on the choreography like other pro's might. That surprises me since he's better at concealing when he's dancing around his partner than the other pro's. It's been a strange season in general...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'm just not understanding why the both of them seem to inspire so much negativity.
    Derek seems to be one of the few pros who never "talks" back to the judges when they diss the dance. He strikes me as extremely polite and professional, so I can't really understnad why other pros can get away with so much, yet he's blasted for what - being a great dancer and choreographer??
    As far as Jennifer, the producers of this show edit the stars every season. Nicole was always shown in an unfavorable light; so was Mya.
    I give Jennifer credit for trying to push through what must be very taxing on her.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4096583;
    This season was a perfect storm of circumstances for Jennifer. The reason she found and caught her cancer was because she went for a physical when she was thinking of doing the show. Patrick Swayze died in the past year. Her story doesn't need milking, and I don't think she is playing it up or wallowing more than a person in her shoes should. The show edits what they get in rehearsals and decides what we see. If she's in a lot of pain and her doctor is advising her to be careful, is she supposed to conceal that and slap a smile on her face for the camera? Sheesh...she's not the devil for corn sake.

Not to mention, her dance selection has been heavy on the Latin, where she has to do tons of pivots and whip her neck left to right. She had that one breezy waltz to start off, but since then it's been pretty grueling, and Derek doesn't seem to be going any easier on the choreography like other pro's might. That surprises me since he's better at concealing when he's dancing around his partner than the other pro's. It's been a strange season in general...
    I'm ready for it to be over, so much so that seeing Mark and Corky fight over who gets to be between Derek's legs at the end of the season is almost a welcome sight. At least it'd be over, and we can sweat out the rumors until next time I don't blame Jennifer for her edit. When I see her dancing in the line, backstage, or something like that, that's no editing. She did seem pretty strange last night. But I think she's getting more of a pass than Brandy or Bristol would. Agree to disagree I guess. I'm bored by all of them, to be honest. Although it's great seeing Maks so long this season, because I feel like next time I might not be so lucky.

Actually, in the early days, Derek DID talk back to the judges. Shannon Elizabeth, anyone? Back then I used to really like him. This season he has toned down his mugging and silliness which is one thing that has gotten on my nerves.

Being over 50 myself, I don't see the crying, whining or complaining as a pity party, my knees start hurting after walking more than a block and I don't look out of shape, my body just reminds me that it's a fact. That's not even taking into account her health issues or surgeries. Of course Florence didn't complain as much, she had much easier routines and a partner who was at least on the other side of 40. I think it must be frustrating for Jennifer to try to keep up with a young, healthy guy like Derek, regardless of health, there is a huge age difference there and it's going to show. She looks in shape and she can dance so everyone thinks she should be able to do it. Looks can be deceiving. Trust me. Yes, she signed up for it, but I doubt she thought it would be as tough as it is on her body.

Donnie Osmond may have been 50 as well but I didn't see him do the technical stuff Jennifer's doing either, so I don't put them in the same class just because of age.

I think she's good enough to win if she can last. I like to watch for the dancing itself. I even overlook my dislike of Brandy (which runs deep) and look at just her dancing. Although I have to admit my eyes seem to always stay on Max.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maryhse;4096662;
    Being over 50 myself, I don't see the crying, whining or complaining as a pity party, my knees start hurting after walking more than a block and I don't look out of shape, my body just reminds me that it's a fact. That's not even taking into account her health issues or surgeries. Of course Florence didn't complain as much, she had much easier routines and a partner who was at least on the other side of 40. I think it must be frustrating for Jennifer to try to keep up with a young, healthy guy like Derek, regardless of health, there is a huge age difference there and it's going to show. She looks in shape and she can dance so everyone thinks she should be able to do it. Looks can be deceiving. Trust me. Yes, she signed up for it, but I doubt she thought it would be as tough as it is on her body.

Donnie Osmond may have been 50 as well but I didn't see him do the technical stuff Jennifer's doing either, so I don't put them in the same class just because of age.

I think she's good enough to win if she can last. I like to watch for the dancing itself. I even overlook my dislike of Brandy (which runs deep) and look at just her dancing. Although I have to admit my eyes seem to always stay on Max.:teeth
    When they are dancing apart, and Maks starts strutting his stuff, it's hard not to watch him. He just naturally draws the eye. That happened even when he was with Mel B, and she was excellent.

I think Derek is probably a more creative choreographer, but Maks cuts a fine figure when he is dancing solo.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4096573;
    I tend to give the celebs a pass on commenting/complaining about the physical toll this show takes on your body, because it seems that most don't realize just how much pain is involved when they sign on. That said, Jennifer is the only one who should have had a clue, since she must have gone through similar training for DD, albeit with a younger body. If she didn't think she was up to it, due to her medical conditions, maybe she should have waited until next season to tell us she was 51.
    of the hours and hours of footage that they have of the rehearsals, the 60 seconds they choose to air is her complaining, crying and/or bitching to Derek. To me, that's what makes it difficult - there has to be times in that rehearsal studio that they're having fun and hamming it up - why not show us that?? Why not try and give us a reason to actually like her??
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4097059;
    of the hours and hours of footage that they have of the rehearsals, the 60 seconds they choose to air is her complaining, crying and/or bitching to Derek. To me, that's what makes it difficult - there has to be times in that rehearsal studio that they're having fun and hamming it up - why not show us that?? Why not try and give us a reason to actually like her??
    What I find irratating is that is was the SAME clip over and over..

The producers are very aware of which "stars" have the populus votes. Even if the judges continue to score Bristol low..her mother's voting hoards will keep her in...I believe that Jennifer has the largest of the voting base so the Producers MUST continue to show her in a "bad light" to hope that some of those votes will go away...that will be the only way to kepp "DRAMA" in the show and the viewers "tuned in"..

If Bristol stays on my TV much longer..I will quit tuning in and just get the recap here!

I like Jennifer and I feel for her because of her injuries and the toll competing is taking on her body.
    We all know the show will edit the rehearsal packages to tell whatever story they want and I think we need to keep in mind it may not be representative of how things are actually going between the couples.
    Case in point, they seemed to greatly play up the tension between Brandy and Maks earlier in the season. If we can believe that's exaggerated then I think in fairness people should be able to believe that they might be painting a very specific picture of Jennifer, for whatever reason they choose.

It bothers me slightly to read people say that if she complains she should leave the competition.
    All the contestants complain to some degree, if they all left because of it the show would be over in a couple of weeks.
    It's just very difficult for me to condemn Jennifer's complaining (and I acknowledge I'm a huge Derek fan and give him all the leeway in the world) because we just don't know how accurate a picture of their rehearsals the footage is painting.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread