+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

FORT Fogey

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

I loved Dirty Dancing, Patrick Swayzy, and Jennifer Grey in the movie, but this lady hardily even looks like the same person to me. I don't think I would have known who she was if I had just been shown a picture.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

YouTube - Jennifer Grey Says 'DWTS' Rehearsals Remind Her of Patrick Swayze

Looks like Derek lucks out yet again. Why couldn't he have gotten Florence like she wanted? They should just hang it up and give him the trophy, or just start the season where they think he'll eventually end up.

Jennifer and Patrick WERE good friends. He taught her everything for that movie even though, as a ballet dancer, he had to learn the new style from scratch, and it wasn't easy for him. I've always loved Jennifer's dad and I wish her well even though I don't particularly like Derek.
    There's being friends and the shows spin on making them out to be inseperable BFFs and jamming DD and him down our throats for the nostalgic sentimental factor.

Karalott, I agree, why did they have to pair her with Derek? Why not Jonathan (if he had been in this season), Tony, or Louis? I don't know how well she'll do dance-wise, but I'm sure she has tons of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4058264;
    I loved Dirty Dancing, Patrick Swayzy, and Jennifer Grey in the movie, but this lady hardily even looks like the same person to me. I don't think I would have known who she was if I had just been shown a picture.
    I remember there was a lot of noise a few years ago when one of the Entertainment mags did some kind of "Where are they now" type piece on her (it was in response to when Swayze first got sick, I think). A lot of people on boards like this one acted like she did something wrong getting a simple rhinoplasty.

Supposedly though she did have a LOT of trouble getting work SPECIFICALLY because of the changed nose (casting agents said nobody would recognize her and... they were probably right). I guess the nose defined her, and she found that out the hard way.

-------------

Oh, this is interesting...

Jennifer Grey on How 'Dancing with the Stars' Saved Her Life
    Last edited by Krom; 09-14-2010 at 12:17 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm not sure why so many think she's going to be a ringer.
    The lady is now 50 years old and dancing as not exactly her life's work. She was a young actress called upon to learn a dance for a movie. And that movie seems a lifetime ago.
    I always liked her and I'm sorry that she got such a raw deal from Hollywood after the nose job. We seem to have a lot of other stars out there who seriously altered their bodies and were still embraced by audiences afterward.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think the only "advantage" she will have is that she has already been taught about posture and proper foot and hand extension. But that sort of thing also comes semi-naturally to most graceful people anyway.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4062367;
    I'm not sure why so many think she's going to be a ringer.
    The lady is now 50 years old and dancing as not exactly her life's work. She was a young actress called upon to learn a dance for a movie. And that movie seems a lifetime ago.
    I always liked her and I'm sorry that she got such a raw deal from Hollywood after the nose job. We seem to have a lot of other stars out there who seriously altered their bodies and were still embraced by audiences afterward.
    I guess that was before botox and plastic surgery was the it thing in Hollywood. She doesn't even look like the same person. I'd never recognize it was her, so maybe they didn't think she was bankable. I was never crazy about her as an actress, and can only name the two movies that she's been in. I don't know why she altered her nose, she looked beautiful before. I don't think Jennifer will win, and it's very possible she may get left in the dust once the show premieres. They can't always bet on people liking who they want and new favorites emerging from unlikely celebs. But it's more because Derek just can't seem to lose in the partner pairing, and that I don't want this to be a fake 'wow for a 50 year old you showed those young things how to do it' reactions, and Patrick Swayze/DD getting jammed down our throats. Maybe it won't happen.

Jennifer has said in interviews that she was upset about the change to her nose as well. She went in to get a deviated septum fixed and that is what happened. Now, maybe that's bull, but I think she's smart enough to know that part of her appeal was her quirkiness and the nose was a big part of that. I saw her after the change and only recognized her because of her voice.

I don't see her as a ringer either. From all accounts, she had a lot of trouble learning to dance and, while she did those routines well, they weren't terribly difficult. The way she danced with Patrick vs. the way Cynthia Rhodes danced with him in DD....well, there was no comparison. It pains me to say this because I'm not a Derek fan, but Jennifer is one of the people I'm rooting for this season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

She'd win me over if she pulled one over on Derek and broke out into the little thumb dance she did during DD. I'd love to see the look on his face

I can probably buy her story. We see it happen a lot, celebs either go too far with plastic surgery, or it gets botched, or the end result wasn't what it looked like on paper. With or without Derek I'm not a fan of hers. I did see an interview where she was upset people thought she had an advantage. I guess we'll see tomorrow night how well she looks and whether Derek has it easy once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4064315;
    Jennifer has said in interviews that she was upset about the change to her nose as well. She went in to get a deviated septum fixed and that is what happened. Now, maybe that's bull, but I think she's smart enough to know that part of her appeal was her quirkiness and the nose was a big part of that. I saw her after the change and only recognized her because of her voice.

I don't see her as a ringer either. From all accounts, she had a lot of trouble learning to dance and, while she did those routines well, they weren't terribly difficult. The way she danced with Patrick vs. the way Cynthia Rhodes danced with him in DD....well, there was no comparison. It pains me to say this because I'm not a Derek fan, but Jennifer is one of the people I'm rooting for this season.
    I really have liked Jennifer in the past would love her to do well on the show except she's partnered with Derek and ...

The deviated septum story is pretty hard for me to believe. I've had two daughters who had the surgery and the look of their noses didn't change one tiny bit. None. That's a pretty dramatic change to occur unless the doctor said, "you'll breathe better if we straighten the shape of your nose..." I don't claim to be a medical person, but it seems suspicious to me that this just "happened" without her realizing her looks would change.

+ Reply to Thread