+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 381

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

  1. #131
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4079904;
    I predict you'll never be able to follow through on that wager, because it's doubtful he will ever get a partner bad enough to allow us to find out. When I can see how he does with a Kate Gosselin, a Cloris Leachman (or how he would have done with Margaret or Florence this season), I'll give him credit for great teaching skills, but not before.
    No matter how good a teacher someone is, you really have to make some allowances for those who just cannot be taught. And specifically in physical endeavours, there are some people who just do not have it it them due to insurmountable constraints. And that would be Cloris. Gosselin is basically venal, lazy and self-involved - the best teacher in the world can't get through to someone like that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  2. #132
    FORT Fogey live4romance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    1,167

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4079794;
    I am of the same opinion. I don't love his personality, but boy do I like watching him dance. He is, as far as I'm concerned, hands down the best, most entertaining dancer they have, and I'd be willing to wager that he is one of the best, if not the best, teacher they have. And that being the case, there's a pretty good chance that he's going to do reasonably well with whomever he lands as a partner.
    I have to put Tony and Louis as just as good of a teacher as Derek, look what they have had to work with compared to Derek. When Derek gets a non-dancer and we can see how it works out, then I might give him the best teacher award.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

  3. #133
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4079904;
    I predict you'll never be able to follow through on that wager, because it's doubtful he will ever get a partner bad enough to allow us to find out. When I can see how he does with a Kate Gosselin, a Cloris Leachman (or how he would have done with Margaret or Florence this season), I'll give him credit for great teaching skills, but not before.
    I don't really think we can judge fairly who's the best teacher/choreographer (which imo is Louis, followed by Kym, Karina, Chelsie, and Maks), because there's not the equality of getting the same types of partners. Derek's always had someone that's either already a pro or who has enough skill and potential where he can either hide their flaws easy enough and dance around them, or push them to their limit. He wouldn't be able to do that with Margaret, Florence, or Bristol. His worst partners have been Jennie and Shannon, but watching them week 1 compared to Josie Maran or Priscilla Presley, there's a big difference in ability there. I wonder sometimes if TPTB have that illusion built up around him, and don't want to either ruin it by giving him someone not at that level, or they know he's a crowd pleaser (to some-his showboating annoys me) so they give him people that are already trained dancers or have the skills. I don't even know why Derek and his partner act surprised when they're safe every week, or when they win. Nicole's reaction was laughable last season.

    I like watching Derek in the pro dances, but as far as him being with a celeb, it's nothing new. Once he gets someone that he has to actually struggle with, then I'll be impressed. I'll even take him getting someone like Marie Osmond.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.

  4. #134
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    I was just curious, so I checked back and in all the seasons Derek has been on, he has only gotten two scores of 6 with a partner. One was with Joanna, from CA for their jive, and believe it or not, the other was from Len for his and Nicole's QS (that wasn't a QS, and that's why the score was low, not because the dancing was inferior; Bruno gave it a 9). The lowest total score he has ever gotten was a 20 once, and the lowest first week score was a 21 (3 times). Other first week scores ranged from 23 to 25. So it seems like he's either done a fabulous job of teaching in the initial 3 weeks of training each season, or he's gotten someone with pretty good potential to exploit right off the bat every season.

  5. #135
    FORT Fanatic RyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    495

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Now that's some great research! I would never have though at looking back at all the actual scores.

  6. #136
    FORT Fanatic laceygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    485

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4080050;
    I was just curious, so I checked back and in all the seasons Derek has been on, he has only gotten two scores of 6 with a partner. One was with Joanna, from CA for their jive, and believe it or not, the other was from Len for his and Nicole's QS (that wasn't a QS, and that's why the score was low, not because the dancing was inferior; Bruno gave it a 9). The lowest total score he has ever gotten was a 20 once, and the lowest first week score was a 21 (3 times). Other first week scores ranged from 23 to 25. So it seems like he's either done a fabulous job of teaching in the initial 3 weeks of training each season, or he's gotten someone with pretty good potential to exploit right off the bat every season.
    Lets not forget some of the challenges the other pros have endured (never Derek), and in doing so had to modify their cheorography to showcase their partners strengths and weakneses.....

    How about Heather Mills, (one prosthetic leg), Macy Grey (oh boy)!, Belinda Carlisle, Wayne Newton, Penn Gillette, Cloris Leachman, even this season, Michael Bolton, and we cant forget Kate Gosselin, just to name a few. These are the only ones I can think of at this time, but you get my drift.
    Last edited by laceygirl; 10-12-2010 at 10:34 AM.

  7. #137
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,961

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl;4082280;
    Lets not forget some of the challenges the other pros have endured (never Derek), and in doing so had to modify their cheorography to showcase their partners strengths and weakneses.....

    How about Heather Mills, (one prosthetic leg), Macy Grey (oh boy)!, Belinda Carlisle, Wayne Newton, Penn Gillette, Cloris Leachman, even this season, Michael Bolton, and we cant forget Kate Gosselin, just to name a few. These are the only ones I can think of at this time, but you get my drift.
    It is true that Derek has not gotten the challenges that others have gotten. What others have said is true. He still has yet to really be challenged.

    However, all of that admittedly true and apart, Jennifer absolutely took the best music for that dance and nailed it last night - bad foot and all. She did a fantastic job on that number.

  8. #138
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    And I call BS, since Derek got the best music for the AT last night (not his fault, unless he pitched a fit like Lacey with her waltz music, but I doubt it). I'm thinking ahead to the night where the couples get their music 20 minutes before the live show, and something tells me the producers will give Jennifer the best music that night to adjust to her routine.

    Speaking on horrible hoofers, Jonathan's a world champion, and I realize in describing most of the female duds this show has had, the ones we come up with all went to him. I don't know how he dodged Kate. But, even getting someone like Marie to the finals, she's no Nicole, Jennifer, or Joanna. Derek probably would have to adjust his choreography. It's hard for me to enjoy it anymore or even say they nailed it, because his celebs are already that good, and there's no dumbing down for him. He's a good choreographer, a great dancer, but I'm ready to see how he'd even handle someone like Bristol. I'd be more willing to believe he turned her into that good of a dancer in such a short time than I would Jennifer.

  9. #139
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    ABC in general is very bad at casting for the younger demographic and they think hot is all they want. The soaps are horrible. They kill off veteran actors, qualified actors and replace them with lookers period, and even when the ratings tank, they keep them.

    Derek is a very good looking young man, and is not married or attached in any way that is obvious so the young girls love him. My daughter is 14 and she thinks he hung the moon. I agree with everyone that he is not getting stinkers for a reason, and that reason is he makes a huge demo tune in.

    Johnathon and Tony are great dancers, and obviously they are capable of choreography, but they are more mature and that does not bring in ABC's desired demo.

    I disagree with it, but I think it will never go away. I know for a fact if Julianne wanted back, they would probably get rid of anyone to have her on.

  10. #140
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;4082410;
    Derek is a very good looking young man, and is not married or attached in any way that is obvious so the young girls love him. My daughter is 14 and she thinks he hung the moon. I agree with everyone that he is not getting stinkers for a reason, and that reason is he makes a huge demo tune in.
    It's funny, because among my coworkers, all of the older women - outside the coveted 18 - 45 demo - lurve Derek and think he's just adorable and the most talented thing ever. Whereas, the two of us who are closer to Derek's age - we're both in our twenties - can't stand the guy.

    I guess Derek is hot in the same way that Justin Bieber and boy bands are hot - very innocently so. So I'm not surprised that teenage girls like him. But just speaking from my experience, I haven't met many twentysomethings who like Derek.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.