+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke - Season 11

Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke - Season 11

The former Laker returns to LA to hit the boards. But sorry, Rick, no sneakers allowed on the dance floor.

3-time NBA Champion with the Los Angeles Lakers, actor and producer Rick Fox has appeared in a number of film and television projects, sharing the screen with actors ranging from Whoopi Goldberg to Henry Winkler to Angela Bassett and Shia Lebouf.

Fox’s acting debut came in 1994 in William Friedkin’s Blue Chips. Similar roles followed in 1996’s Eddie and 1998’s critically acclaimed He Got Game (directed by Spike Lee) before Fox’s breakout role on the hit HBO series Oz. Since then, Rick has appeared in over a dozen network shows, including Ugly Betty, One Tree Hill, The Game and Dirt. In addition, Fox has appeared in a series of diverse films, including Resurrection, Holes, Mini’s First Time and Tyler Perry’s Meet The Browns.

While Fox continues to strengthen his craft, he's just as busy behind the camera, developing his own film and television projects for his production company, 1744 Entertainment. As a star basketball athlete, he attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and was coached by the legendary Dean Smith. Fox began his pro basketball career when he was drafted into the NBA by the Boston Celtics as a first round pick. He went on to be the captain of both the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers while being coached by 11-time champion Phil Jackson. Fox is a father of two and currently resides in Los Angeles.

Re: Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke - Season 11

Cheryl has always been my favorite female pro. I started watching DWTS season 3 and I'll never forget seeing she and Emmitt Smith start dancing down those stairs to "son of a preacher man". She had me hooked. I'll forever be rooting for whomever she's paired with.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RyMac;4058062;
    Cheryl has always been my favorite female pro. I started watching DWTS season 3 and I'll never forget seeing she and Emmitt Smith start dancing down those stairs to "son of a preacher man". She had me hooked. I'll forever be rooting for whomever she's paired with.
    I loved Cheryl up until season 8. Since then, something's just bugged. It might have been before, but maybe I was so in love with Gilles I just didn't notice. I'll give her her due, even with unknown partners or people who appeared destined to go early, she's done really well. I think she gets lucky with her match ups, but think she's earned what she's accomplished. I did love her with Drew and Emmitt. Emmitt's my kind of DWTS story that I like. Their rumba remains one of my all time favorites, and that's a dance I wouldn't miss if they took it out.

I'll be curious to see if the height difference proves to be a disadvantage, and if Rick is more like Jason Taylor or Clyde Drexler.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4058194;
    I loved Cheryl up until season 8. Since then, something's just bugged. It might have been before, but maybe I was so in love with Gilles I just didn't notice. I'll give her her due, even with unknown partners or people who appeared destined to go early, she's done really well. I think she gets lucky with her match ups, but think she's earned what she's accomplished. I did love her with Drew and Emmitt. Emmitt's my kind of DWTS story that I like. Their rumba remains one of my all time favorites, and that's a dance I wouldn't miss if they took it out.

I'll be curious to see if the height difference proves to be a disadvantage, and if Rick is more like Jason Taylor or Clyde Drexler.

It is obvious that Cheryl gets most of the athletes. Also, the comment is thrown around that Cheryl is the stern taskmaster. Now, whether there is a connection between the two as if it is necessary for the athletes to maybe have a stern taskmaster, I don't know.
    One would think they would be disciplined, but then on the other hand, compared to their athletic training and activities, they might tend to think that this process is a joke until she gets hold of them!

The bottom line to me is that at 5'4 (which is what I believe I read is Cheryl's height), she looks both strange and awkward trying to dance with those guys who are a foot plus taller than she is. I think it would be better to pair those very tall guys with one of the taller women.

Cheryl looked very, very good with Emmit, Drew, and Gilles who were better proportioned height-wised for her.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4058259;
    It is obvious that Cheryl gets most of the athletes. Also, the comment is thrown around that Cheryl is the stern taskmaster. Now, whether there is a connection between the two as if it is necessary for the athletes to maybe have a stern taskmaster, I don't know.
    One would think they would be disciplined, but then on the other hand, compared to their athletic training and activities, they might tend to think that this process is a joke until she gets hold of them!

The bottom line to me is that at 5'4 (which is what I believe I read is Cheryl's height), she looks both strange and awkward trying to dance with those guys who are a foot plus taller than she is. I think it would be better to pair those very tall guys with one of the taller women.

Cheryl looked very, very good with Emmit, Drew, and Gilles who were better proportioned height-wised for her.
    By the way, Drew's 5'6", Emmitt Smith and Maurice Green both 5'9". Ian Zeiring is 5'11½" while Chad Ochocinco is 6'1". Gilles, Wayne Newton, and Cristian are tall at 6'2".

Cheryl speaks glowingly of Rick describing him as 'pretty coordinated' ... has good rhythm and musicality and, apparently, enjoys rehearsing with him that she sometimes forgets the height difference. She hardly speaks this way of her partners so this is very 'new'. They are doing Viennese Waltz _ a first for Cheryl on Premiere Nights who did 'Cha cha cha' first with her previous dance partners.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4058259;

It could depend on who the athlete is. Put Terrell Owens on the show and you're bound to have a battle of the egos and attitude. I've heard that about Cheryl, and given what I read about Chad last season, wondered if that's why they got partnered up. In regards to her partners and the height difference, it could also be how well they're built, too. Chad was tall and skinny, whereas Gilles had a better build. Chad practically towered over her in the closed hold dances, and at times looked like he was trying to slink down to her level.

I am glad that Rick is paired with Cheryl, even though she is not my favorite of the female pros. I would have rather seen him with Edyta, but I am not sure how tall she is. I didn't know he had all these acting credits to his name. I hope that means he will have a bigger fan base than Laker fans like me. I just hope he can dance and not plod
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Who is John Galt?

I am very surprised at this pairing, for the height difference alone. He is way too tall for her. He should be paired with Anna, Kym, or Edyta. It is going to look like he is dancing with a doll or a young child, rather than a woman. Strange . . . !!!
    Last edited by aname2; 09-12-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: misspelling

Who is John Galt?

Regarding my comment that I'd rather see him with Anna, I meant tall Anna - not Trebanskaya.

Cheryl's one of the smaller ones - way shorter than 5'4".
    I think they should have paired him with someone taller, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast