+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff - Season 11

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff - Season 11

CA just tweeted that this week is the double scoring-technique and performance (which was pointless last season, and will probably be this season). Being acoustic night, and that type of scoring, makes me feel they really will try and either pad scores or ding contestants on how they want it to work out. Given what we've seen of Mike, I can't believe he'll be able to pull off an AT. He'll get overscored on both counts, but I think the judges will probably pad his score on performance, because in no way will he have the technique part down.

Wouldn't story telling week make more sense to score them on performance? It's going to be interesting this week, that's for sure.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-09-2010 at 03:36 AM.

FORT Fogey

Mike S. needs to get that bulb at the tip of his nose surgically removed. Otherwise, I like the kid.

Karina had an odd expression on her face. Like she was ticked, but upset. I don't know, maybe she knows this was their swan song (*fingers crossed*) I was surprised the judges actually gave him criticism tonight. It was overdue. My cat could have done better. Some of those lifts looked awkward. And Mike's still got that arrogant sleazy grin on his face. I won't be surprised if it's all a red herring, though, so tomorrow's boot won't be so obvious.

I don't see what's so special about his abs. Wasn't digging their outfits, especially Karina's.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-12-2010 at 02:59 AM.

He really should go this week. He's just not good and isn't going to get any better.

Im not counting Mike out just yet, we all know how the eliminations work, there are surprises....I would rather him stay, than Bristol, she is not exciting at all. She just stands there.

At least with Mike, you never know what to expect, granted most of the time its a trainwreck, but, at least he is entertainng, and I find myself waiting to see what he will do next....Hes actually seems like a nice guy, and is working hard. I would not be surprised if this week Kurt is in trouble.

Tobi
    I hope Situation, Kyle and Bristol stay around awhile. It's funny but they are my favorites to watch.
    Me too. I started out disliking Kyle he seemed such a smart aleck but I like him now he really tries. I kinda feel sorry for Situation (whatever his name is) he knows he is horrible and feels bad about his lack of dance skills. I've never seen JS and have no desire to. I like Bristol she comes across as a shy unassuming kid, she is not all that bad. These three are really trying I enjoy seeing how much they improve each week. Kyle and Situation have come down a notch or two since the beginning of the show. At first, both thought they were the cutest thing going until they realized their egos don't count for anything.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;4082252;
    Tobi

Me too. I started out disliking Kyle he seemed such a smart aleck but I like him now he really tries. I kinda feel sorry for Situation (whatever his name is) he knows he is horrible and feels bad about his lack of dance skills. I've never seen JS and have no desire to. I like Bristol she comes across as a shy unassuming kid, she is not all that bad. These three are really trying I enjoy seeing how much they improve each week. Kyle and Situation have come down a notch or two since the beginning of the show. At first, both thought they were the cutest thing going until they realized their egos don't count for anything.
    I realize that the Situation is pigeon-toed, and that impedes his dancing, but the judges didn't even comment on the difficulty of the lifts. I did feel sorry for him because I could see that he had worked very hard that last week, and that wasn't acknowledged at all.

Watched Mike/Karina on Jimmy Kimmell. Nothing interesting except both were surprised CA mentioned couples hooking up (Mike said he'd been missing out apparently). Karina looked gorgeous, though the dress looked like something Brooke's taken to wearing on the show. When Mike was flexing his pecs on the show (Jimmy showed a clip), Karina didn't know what everyone was laughing at. If that really is Mike's schtick and not his real deal, good luck to him finding a long lasting entertainment career (with or without it). He seems like a nice kid but his attitude tonight made me hope he wouldn't be back next week even more than I was already hoping for.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4083064;
    Watched Mike/Karina on Jimmy Kimmell. Nothing interesting except both were surprised CA mentioned couples hooking up (Mike said he'd been missing out apparently). Karina looked gorgeous, though the dress looked like something Brooke's taken to wearing on the show. When Mike was flexing his pecs on the show (Jimmy showed a clip), Karina didn't know what everyone was laughing at. If that really is Mike's schtick and not his real deal, good luck to him finding a long lasting entertainment career (with or without it). He seems like a nice kid but his attitude tonight made me hope he wouldn't be back next week even more than I was already hoping for.
    Flexing his pecs was a "thumbing his nose" gesture at the show and the judges. I am in no way at all condoning his poor social behavior and bad attitude, but I recognized immediately what he was doing and why.

This guy knew he was about to get the ax, so he stole Tom's thunder from him in a rude but riveting manner.
    (Come to think of it, diverting the attention from Tom in itself is pretty hard to do!)

In a way I am surprised that we have not seen more poor behavior from the celebrities than we have seen.
    These are people that we have made to be little idols. In their respective fields and in their hay days, they were ( or sometimes still are) almost worshipped. Almost on top of that they are rich. They have been made to think that what they do is close to perfect.
    In their worlds, they get relatively little criticism.

Then they come to Dancing With the Stars.....

A few like Emmett Smith, Apollo, and Kristi fall right into dancing naturally just like they did with their sports. For the most part, though, the other celebrities are not natural dancers, and for first time, or for the first time in a very long time they face some (often harsh) criticism.
    Temperamentally, performance artists can be naturally sensitive anyway, but then you add the fact that they are used to hearing tremendous praise, and when they get a continuum of criticism, there is a chance that there is going to be an outburst like we saw from the Situation and heard from Michael Bolton and the comedienne a couple of seasons back.

One thing that surprised me this season was that Karina was more likeable. If her behavior had always been like this, I wouldn't have developed the distaste for her that I have. She seemed to have fun with the season and not pull the "attitude" that turned me off.
    As far as this week's performance was concerned, she made an error in having the routine lift heavy thinking that would be so dazzling that no one would notice the very poor dancing - what dancing there was. I think Mike got frustrated because his hard work on the difficult lifts was not met with awe when, after all, it is a dance show.
    I'm not sad to see them go because the other contestants were more deserving to go forward. (And I didn't find his childishness very entertaining.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast