+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 5/25 Finale Pt 2 - Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/25 Finale Pt 2 - Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3914392;
    Interestingly, the headline on Yahoo about last night's show announces that KHate returned to DWTS. It only mentions Nicole's win off to the side in small print!
    Speaking of Kate... did anyone else feel a bit about her using the show to platform her new reality series on TLC? If I had been ABC I'd told her no - and in fact it almost makes Blagovich's please to America that he was innocent in the buying the senator seat look subtle.

Things like this make me wonder if the FCC needs to REALLY start cracking down on rules regarding reality shows that have any award involved - especially if there is found fact that there was manipulation in order to guarantee Nicole won. Right now, they're seen as regular scripted TV shows, not game shows.

As soon as the federal government cleans up the oil spill in the Gulf, contains and follows through with exit strategies on the two wars it is fighting, balances the federal budget and takes steps to reduce the debt, makes the American education system competitive again, enacts real campaign finance reform, steers the economy towards more jobs, productivity and stability, and figures out coherent policies on foreign aid, domestic and world hunger, debt relief, immigration and human rights...then I want them to get right on putting the hammer down on reality TV dance show conspiracies.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3914389;
    If one wants to be a conspiracy theorist, it's pretty easy to find possible manipulation by the producers and judges for a Nicole win. Announcing in the semifinals that each pair had led in fan voting at one time was a way to imply that Nicole's fanbase was probably not significantly smaller than Evan's, contrary to what many had suspected. The extra dance in the finale, not only gave the judges 2 opportunities to "correct" voting after the fact if needed, but additionally played to Nicole's strength, in that Evan's time to learn a third new dance was more limited than hers due to his touring, as well as Erin's lack of experience learning choreo as quickly as the others would put her at an even greater disadvantage. Also, one could interpret the seeming propping up of Erin's scores (and I am an Erin fan, but felt her scores were generous) as a way to deflect from the seeming marking down of Evan's. All the while, the gap between Nicole and Evan widened to 7 points, which (if we are to believe that the fan bases were as close in size as they claimed), would be too much to overcome (over 3%, according to my calculations).

Bottom line, the show has been loudly promoting Nicole as the best celebrity dancer ever to appear on DWTS, and I suspect they felt if she didn't win, they would lose too much credibility. I'd love to know how the final voting really broke down.
    Yes, I think that DWTS was going to lose credibility if Nicole didn't win because the show had all been so ga-ga over her all season. There is absolutely no way there was 7 points of difference in her last performances and Evan's . . . at the most there could have been maybe three points difference, mostly because Nicole can flex her body into ways that bodies aren't supposed to normally go . . . but then that is because she is a professional dancer. No, the judges and Tom and the producers and everyone were going to make sure that Nicole won, and in that last little stumble to glory on Monday and Tuesday nights, they really looked like the scores were being made to say exactly what they wanted them to. Sitting and dialing a busy phone and working hard to "make your votes count" never seems to add up to much in the long run.
    Erin's a fun girl and clearly had improved but was grossly overscored by comparison, and likely for the reason stated above to blur the distinction with Evan. Two seasons in a row of really disappointing finishes. No more "Lost". No more "24". What's the world coming to?

FORT Fanatic

People that voted Monday night wasted their time. Including me, and I only voted online. The way this was set up this year, the judges had all the power. I feel stupid for even voting. Won't make that mistake again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn;3914455;
    People that voted Monday night wasted their time. Including me, and I only voted online. The way this was set up this year, the judges had all the power. I feel stupid for even voting. Won't make that mistake again though.
    that's the crux of my disasspointment - we vote, they ask us to vote for our favourite dancers, and when it comes down to brass tacks, they change the rules so that the judges can hand out the scores that will see their F1 take the trophy.

Have they ever in any other season ranked dances the way they did last night?? the 26-28-30 was totally unbalanced and they should've been scored on pts. The ranking was a clear indication how the chips were going to fall - and they did.

I wasn't fool enough to think Erin and Maks would win, but I really thought they had massive fan support......
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3914456;

Have they ever in any other season ranked dances the way they did last night?? the 26-28-30 was totally unbalanced and they should've been scored on pts. The ranking was a clear indication how the chips were going to fall - and they did.
    Last season actually; however, in that case they were pretty accurate based on the dancing done. I didn't feel that way this season, as I felt Evan and Anna had the better AT.

The best dancer won, the second best dancer came in second, and the third best dancer came in third. I like that all the frogs were in a row on their lily pads this year without a lesser dancer leaping over lily pads to mirror ball glory.

All three celebrities grew through the competition. For all of them there was the strangeness and discipline of ballroom dance, then the commitment to learning the forms. For Erin the next challenge was technical and for Evan and Nicole, emotional. The final three met each of these challenges and learned lessons about growing from them.

I enjoyed this season because it was fascinating to watch the final three improve in their trouble areas week after week. I grinned from ear to ear both nights as I watched them perform; and I sighed when I realized I couldn't watch them again next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3914475;
    The best dancer won, the second best dancer came in second, and the third best dancer came in third. I like that all the frogs were in a row on their lily pads this year without a lesser dancer leaping over lily pads to mirror ball glory.

All three celebrities grew through the competition. For all of them there was the strangeness and discipline of ballroom dance, then the commitment to learning the forms. For Erin the next challenge was technical and for Evan and Nicole, emotional. The final three met each of these challenges and learned lessons about growing from them.

I enjoyed this season because it was fascinating to watch the final three improve in their trouble areas week after week. I grinned from ear to ear both nights as I watched them perform; and I sighed when I realized I couldn't watch them again next week.
    Well said. One other point that I really appreciated was that they all worked hard at improving. As CAI said about Nicole, she could have dialed this in but she didn't. In fact, the only one who dialed it in was Kate.

It was a great cast with great spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3914461;
    Last season actually; however, in that case they were pretty accurate based on the dancing done. I didn't feel that way this season, as I felt Evan and Anna had the better AT.
    The problem with the ranking system, particularly when you fix the points awarded at 30, 28 and 26, is if you have 3 dances that are all pretty equal (as the judges claimed was the case this season), you must unfairly penalize the 2nd and 3rd place teams by a greater margin than perhaps they deserve. That said, I am sure that from the producers' perspective, they love the idea of giving the judges more subtle power to control the outcome this way and will keep this feature in all future seasons.

Without getting my head bit off, I want to theorize about why the judges scored Evan & Anna the way they did: It had more to do with Anna.

I know that rehearsal packages are heavily edited, but there really aren't many ways to spin what they showed for Evan & Anna. Anna's ideas didn't wow Evan, and after the disagreement, she shut down a little, because she wasn't ready with all-new ideas. Then, their final dance was performed beautifully (if not perfectly)...but it really wasn't that exciting. It was a great dance for Week 3 to show the judges that the star can learn the quickstep. But it didn't come close to having the "wow" factor to blow people away in the finals.

I don't know if Anna is built for the pressure of being in the finals. She admits to being terrified of the freestyle -- she's not as sure of herself when she doesn't have the constraints of the ballroom dances she has mastered. I feel like she had run out of steam by Monday. And Evan, while being incredibly athletic and cute and friendly -- was a high-maintenance star for a pro. He still had to be told to stop overthinking things in the semi-finals and finals. There were compliments in the last few weeks about him finally developing a good chemistry with Anna on the floor, but from what I saw, it was a dance-by-dance thing right up to the last one. For all that Evan achieved this season, Anna wasn't able to completely draw him out of his own head.

These are just my own objective observations, ones that are too long to put in the forthcoming recap, otherwise it will crash the server when I try to post it. Feel free to vehemently disagree, but I'm not spinning for Nicole here; it's just what I think I saw throughout the season.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread