+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Would YOU Like to See on DWTS Next?

Re: Who Would YOU Like to See on DWTS Next?

Mike Patton

Who is Mike Patton?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I know she's already declined, but in terms comediennes, I'd love to see Aisha Tyler do the show. I don't think she'd lay the schtick on too thick that'd it be old by the end of the first week. Jamie Lee Curtis is said to be re-considering, and the show finally got Jennifer and the Hoff, so maybe she would show up in a roster. Besides, I'd really love to see her interactions with her pro, the judges, and Brooke (part of why I'd love to see Chelsea Handler do the show).

The problem with a whole season of good dancers, I think, would be that the judges would start throwing out tens the way they did with Nicole S. in week two. If everyone's getting tens by the third or fourth week, it might take some of the fun out of it. They'd either have to change the scoring system some or change the requirements to make sure the good dancer contestants were being pushed to improve--like maybe requiring certain moves in each dance to be incorporated into the choreography as the pro saw fit.

I don't know why it has to be either no dance experience or a lot of it either. I think it's possible--it might even be easier--to find people who are somewhere midway between Kate and Nicole, so they wouldn't be awful to watch in the beginning but it wouldn't be a foregone conclusion who was going to win from the first night and/or the announcement of the cast. They did that in earlier seasons. For instance, whether you think he should have won or not, I don't think many people thought Helio was necessarily going to be in the finals when they heard the cast announced. Yes, he's a sports professional, but it's not like driving a race car necessarily sounds like much of an advantage in ballroom dance. Ditto Warren Sapp and Emmitt Smith. I don't think everyone thought, "Hey, they'll be in the finals" from the get go.

I also think it might well be possible to find a comedienne who would be a decent dancer. They just haven't done that yet. Heck, look at the Olympic athletes. You've got some winners in there, but you've also got Louis Vito, who, while I found him entertaining in his own way, wasn't going to win and everybody knew it.
    I loved Louie I hope Chelsie gets a partner next season that she had as much fun with as she did with him and Ty, but who is a much better dancer. While Louie rightfully shouldn't have won, I loved his general attitude and determination to try his best, even though he got dragged the mud more than once by the judges. So I'd take watching a clunker like him over someone who believes their own hype. Regarding the scores and caliber of dancers, having someone with as much experience as Nicole ruins it for me as much as it does having people like Bristol and the Situation. I like those in the middle who wouldn't be getting 10s for weeks but who aren't bad enough to getting a 7 equal being overscored. CA and Bruno throw 10s out so easily, and once they start, the easier they come. I hate the way they give 8s and 9s out. Dance ability aside, it seems easy to predict, either by a person's star power and whether they're a sentimental favorite going in or the first couple of weeks by the judges reception as to what the show wants.
    Whether the viewers agree with them or not is usually up for debate

I haven't watched every season of DWTS, so can someone tell me if there has ever been a truly A-List celebrity on the show (even if they were on the A List long ago)?

I think any of these people would be entertaining:

From Old TV Series
    ------------------

Bobby Sherman (Here Come The Brides)
    David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin on The Man From U.N.C.L.E and currently on NCIS)
    Diana Rigg (Mrs. Peel on the Avengers)
    Stefanie Powers (Hart-to-Hart)
    Stephanie Zimbalist (Remington Steele)

Reality TV Personalities
    ----------------------

Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
    Billy the Exterminator
    Duff Goldman (Ace of Cakes)

Sports Figures
    --------------

Brandy Chastain (Soccer)
    Dawn Staley (B-ball)
    David Beckham (Soccer)
    Ryne Sandberg (Baseball)
    Sammy Sosa (Baseball)
    Chris Evert (Tennis)

And please, please, please no more political figures! I don't think they will go after Christine O'Donnell, no matter how much her pal Palin is pushing for her. She is just not well-known enough to bring in ratings. (I hope I'm right!)

You can check this thread to judge who has been the most A-list celebrity to come on the show: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ion-lists.html

I would say that Pamela Anderson and the Hoff are the biggest celebrities that the show has gotten. It seems that the show has recently been getting bigger names.

Since you mention Brandi Chastain, I've met her. She is very nice and would be great on the show. She has recently retired so maybe she has time to do the show? She was on ABC's The Superstars, so I know she's at least up for doing a reality show. The only problem is that she has a bad knee which could take her out of the competition.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4116339;
    I know she's already declined, but in terms comediennes, I'd love to see Aisha Tyler do the show. I don't think she'd lay the schtick on too thick that'd it be old by the end of the first week. Jamie Lee Curtis is said to be re-considering, and the show finally got Jennifer and the Hoff, so maybe she would show up in a roster. Besides, I'd really love to see her interactions with her pro, the judges, and Brooke (part of why I'd love to see Chelsea Handler do the show).

I loved Louie I hope Chelsie gets a partner next season that she had as much fun with as she did with him and Ty, but who is a much better dancer. While Louie rightfully shouldn't have won, I loved his general attitude and determination to try his best, even though he got dragged the mud more than once by the judges. So I'd take watching a clunker like him over someone who believes their own hype. Regarding the scores and caliber of dancers, having someone with as much experience as Nicole ruins it for me as much as it does having people like Bristol and the Situation. I like those in the middle who wouldn't be getting 10s for weeks but who aren't bad enough to getting a 7 equal being overscored. CA and Bruno throw 10s out so easily, and once they start, the easier they come. I hate the way they give 8s and 9s out. Dance ability aside, it seems easy to predict, either by a person's star power and whether they're a sentimental favorite going in or the first couple of weeks by the judges reception as to what the show wants.
    Whether the viewers agree with them or not is usually up for debate
    Chelsie is overdue for a decent partner, especially after how hard she worked with Louie and Ty--and after getting Michael Bolton this season. And I agree with you that I don't like ringers and I don't like complete duds. I like contestants who have at least a little potential and are willing to work hard to improve. Kyle was like that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;4114946;
    Let's petition for Betty White to replace Brooke Burke. We could use a little levity after some of the dances and she and Tom could play off one another!
    Betty would be a great commentator and interviewer. I do disagree with things I have read around saying that she should be a dancer. While I understand there have been very old dancers on the show (as in their 80s), she's even told people that she doesn't want to do it, so I want to respect it.

That said, she might do the pep talk stuff.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4116352;
    You can check this thread to judge who has been the most A-list celebrity to come on the show: http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...ion-lists.html

I would say that Pamela Anderson and the Hoff are the biggest celebrities that the show has gotten. It seems that the show has recently been getting bigger names.

Since you mention Brandi Chastain, I've met her. She is very nice and would be great on the show. She has recently retired so maybe she has time to do the show? She was on ABC's The Superstars, so I know she's at least up for doing a reality show. The only problem is that she has a bad knee which could take her out of the competition.
    I think it depends on how you define A-list celebrity. An awful lot of the sports figures who've appeared on the show have achieved top awards in their fields--Apollo, Shawn, Kristi, and Evan all have Olympic gold medals, for instance. Evan was even the reigning Olympic gold medalist in men's figure skating when he appeared. In addition, I'd say Buzz Aldrin is about as A-list as you can get in terms of achievement. Not a lot of people have walked on the moon. Even if you're just looking at general recognition level, I'd like to think that a lot of people would know the names of recent Olympic gold medalists and moon walking astronauts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4115091;
    Is Fred Grandy still active in politics? I believe he was either a senator or representative from Iowa for a while. Not that anyone would think of him first as a politician, but if he's still an active politician, he's probably too busy for the show.
    Last time I checked, he was no longer a senator from Iowa, but now just does Goodwill stuff. Besides, most general public would recognize him for Gopher over the senator or Goodwill stuff, and if they know the latter, more for Goodwill since he's still doing that.

Then again, even as a senator, he was hardly the controversial type a la Palin, Tom DeLay, or say if Ted Kennedy had been on the show. I don't think he'd be that big of an issue here compared to the others.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4116356;
    Betty would be a great commentator and interviewer. I do disagree with things I have read around saying that she should be a dancer. While I understand there have been very old dancers on the show (as in their 80s), she's even told people that she doesn't want to do it, so I want to respect it.

That said, she might do the pep talk stuff.

Betty would be worlds better than Brooke as a commentator. She'd probably be more comfortable in that role too, as she's made it clear she's not interested in being a contestant.

+ Reply to Thread