+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 208

Thread: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #181
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3906335;
    So we get to see VIENNA and Jake waltz next week? Was Chelsie "conveniently occupied" or something? Just please tell me Vienna won't be one of the "stars" next season!!
    Dmitry tweeted that he and Chelsie had been practicing with both Jake and Vienna for the finale, so I guess they're going to do a duet. I swear if I hear "On the Wings of Love"...I guess the bright side is, this will probably be Jake's repeat performance for the finale so we won't have to be exposed to him dancing in his underwear again. Kate, Vienna-ABC sure knows how to ruin a show.

    If Vienna were a star, I have my doubts she'd last even as long as Jake. She didn't seem well liked and by that time people will have moved on to the newest love birds and dumpees of TBette.

    Clyde Drexler was on in season 4. They paired him with a very short person. I don't remember her name.
    That was Elena Grinenko, Tony Dovolani's former pro partner. Elena I can usually remember, it's Clyde I typically forget. She was really short compared to Clyde which was unfortuante. He was a waste of space on this show. I would love to see them cast another person from the NBA, or even baseball, soccer, hockey, or just any sport that isn't football. I'm as big a fan as the next person but would be nice to see other sports genres represented.

    There is nothing about her as a person that merits her being painted as a villain, and it's not her fault she got cast in the season she did. And I was genuinely moved tonight, first by that breathtaking AT (I mean come on!), and then by the reactions to it -- not Carrie Ann's tears, but Nicole's tears when she got caught up in the emotion of the judges' comments. She was genuine, and grateful, and she deserved it. And considering Derek was probably flying high on on painkillers, I'd call his behavior tonight almost conservative for him.
    I usually tune CA and did this week as well. I'm not denying her AT wasn't phenominal, probably one of the best ever on this show. And for once she actually showed emotion. Her cha cha left a lot to be desired, imo. But I stand by my opinion that she's just too good to be considered a competitor on this show. As a dancer, yes, but as someone competing alongside Evan, Erin, and Chad, she's had an advantage for weeks. Anyone who had a partner with as much ability as Nicole could choreograph just as good routines because there's nothing to work on. The judges have said as much, and the scores have cemented it. I still say you have nothing to worry about in regards to her winning I have to agree with the majority, though, that the dance of the night went to Evan/Anna. If Erin doesn't get the encore, they better.

  2. #182
    FORT Fanatic Pandora2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    573

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3906371;
    I usually tune CA and did this week as well. I'm not denying her AT wasn't phenominal, probably one of the best ever on this show. And for once she actually showed emotion. Her cha cha left a lot to be desired, imo. But I stand by my opinion that she's just too good to be considered a competitor on this show. As a dancer, yes, but as someone competing alongside Evan, Erin, and Chad, she's had an advantage for weeks. Anyone who had a partner with as much ability as Nicole could choreograph just as good routines because there's nothing to work on.
    I agree. My problem with Nicole is that I tune in to the show to watch non-dancers learn to dance. I like to see changes week to week, I like to see those who weren't stand-outs at the beginning turn it around as time goes by. Watching Derek and Nicole is like watching two pros, and I'm not interested in that. I don't even watch the segments that involve only the pros; I don't enjoy dance that much.

    So someone like Nicole defeats the purpose of the show, for me. It's a distraction more than anything.

  3. #183
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,869

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    If this were another season, I would hop on the bandagon and grab a torch, like I did wih Mya. But this season, the rest of the pack doesn't thrill me enough for that aspect of the show to be as big a consideration. It's nice when it does happen (the feel-good story of nice non-dancers rising to the top), but it's never a guarantee, no matter how much the show tries to steer things thay way.

    The only star this year who comes close to fitting this mold for me is Erin. If she came through in the rest of the dances and somehow pulled it off, it would be that kind of a story, and I'd be happy. She's like the Kelly Osborne of this season in that sense. Unortunately, she's also like Kelly in that she is her own worst enemy when it comes to confidence on the dance floor. It's a coin flip every time with her, will she forget herself and dnace great or get nervous and not follow through 100%?

    As for Evan and Chad, neither of them thrill me enough to want them to defy logic and win. Chad is obviously not good enough still, and there is obviously something off about Cheryl this season, and you have to wonder if it's Chad that's clouding her ability to make her partner looks as great as she has in the past. I think Cheryl can't wait for this season to end, frankly.

    As for Evan, the problem with him is that he should be more of a frontrunner then he turned out to be. I get how people love him, and want him to emerge as the aw-shucks hero just like he did in the Olympics. But I just can't feel it. He is dull! Dull, dull, dull! Even when he pulls off a great dance like their quickstep or last night's paso (which admittedly I missed part of it and have to watch again), to me he still seems like a teenager in the arms of an experienced woman. He never commands like the male is expected to in these dances. When I watch him, I see a boy trying to please the audience and his folks and coaches and favorite teachers...but not a grown man with a point of view. With Donny, it was easy to overlook the fact that he wasn't technically the best dancer because it was, y'know, Donny Osmond! But I don't think Evan fits into that same category of celebrity.

    This is why I would rather see Nicole win: I don't think the "purpose" of the show that people like to see is possible to achieve in a believable manner this season. And if you can't force it upon the results without it seeming like tampering, then they (and we) should at least use common sense and award the best dancer. But, it's an entertainment show as well as a ballroom competition, and everyone tunes in for their own reasons. I just want the results to be believable enough so that it doesn't look ridiculous to the outside world.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  4. #184
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,285

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    I thought Erin's VW was beautiful, but her Paso was horrible. Her legs were flailing around oddly to me, and I do not get her getting higher marks for that one. Nicole and Derek's Prince number was awful. I hated how silly they were singing along with it as if yes we can dance so well that we can add singing too. Derek is an amazing talent, but sometimes I feel he overdances and is too hyper in his movements, and it looks messy sometimes to me.

    I like Evan and Anna the most because I want to see Anna win a season. I would love to see her and Erin be the final two with Chad third. I would love two pros who have never won be one and two. Nicole is just annoying, and Derek might as well be dancing with Chelsie or Lacey or even Edyta.

    I heard Chad and Cheryl make some comment about Derek in their rehearsal footage, but did not catch exactly what they said.

    I cannot believe Chad has four children, my goodness how old is he? He must have started really young as some were quite old.
    Last edited by MHcarrollton; 05-18-2010 at 08:23 AM.

  5. #185
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3906371;
    Dmitry tweeted that he and Chelsie had been practicing with both Jake and Vienna for the finale, so I guess they're going to do a duet. I swear if I hear "On the Wings of Love"...I guess the bright side is, this will probably be Jake's repeat performance for the finale so we won't have to be exposed to him dancing in his underwear again. Kate, Vienna-ABC sure knows how to ruin a show.

    If Vienna were a star, I have my doubts she'd last even as long as Jake. She didn't seem well liked and by that time people will have moved on to the newest love birds and dumpees of TBette.



    That was Elena Grinenko, Tony Dovolani's former pro partner. Elena I can usually remember, it's Clyde I typically forget. She was really short compared to Clyde which was unfortuante. He was a waste of space on this show. I would love to see them cast another person from the NBA, or even baseball, soccer, hockey, or just any sport that isn't football. I'm as big a fan as the next person but would be nice to see other sports genres represented.



    I usually tune CA and did this week as well. I'm not denying her AT wasn't phenominal, probably one of the best ever on this show. And for once she actually showed emotion. Her cha cha left a lot to be desired, imo. But I stand by my opinion that she's just too good to be considered a competitor on this show. As a dancer, yes, but as someone competing alongside Evan, Erin, and Chad, she's had an advantage for weeks. Anyone who had a partner with as much ability as Nicole could choreograph just as good routines because there's nothing to work on. The judges have said as much, and the scores have cemented it. I still say you have nothing to worry about in regards to her winning I have to agree with the majority, though, that the dance of the night went to Evan/Anna. If Erin doesn't get the encore, they better.
    I feel pretty much the same way. When Nicole did her solo with the chair, I thought that she could have easily been doing the same moves in one of her PCD routines. She is obviously a very naturally gifted dancer who has the added advantage of making her living by learning and performing dance routines for the past 10+ years. Yes, Evan, and to a lesser extent, Erin, also have prior experience, but it's still like comparing having played little league baseball, to the minor leagues, to being on the Yankees.

    Chad did much better, especially in his waltz, but if you really watch him and not Cheryl, there is no comparison between what he is doing on the floor and what Erin has been required to do. If his parts of the routines were anywhere near as challenging as hers have been, there is no way he could have pulled them off. And his samba was kind of weak, and surprisingly, appropriately scored, if not critiqued, IMO. That said, I don't think a four-point difference in their scores (last week it was eight) will be enough to offset his bigger fanbase, so I am still resigned to Erin leaving. I suspect next week, Chad may get skewered, between having to perform four dances, and by a more direct comparison with the 2 frontrunners.

    I have been hoping for a paso done to "Bring Me To Life" for a few seasons now, and if they couldn't give the song to Erin and Maks, I'm glad Evan and Anna got it. It was the dance of the night IMO, and I think it also secured him the win over Nicole. I also suspect that many of Erin's fans (or Chad's if he is eliminated, please!) will switch their votes over to Evan next week.

  6. #186
    FORT Fogey anders332's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,439

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    At one point while watching Evan do his Paso I had flashes of Gilles - he really is a phenomonal dancer.

    Loved Erin and saw the nervousness - she is at a disadvantage in that dept, the other 3 stars are used to performing for millions and being under that pressure - for them it drives them, for Erin is made her super nervous.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

  7. #187
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,323

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3906408;
    If this were another season, I would hop on the bandagon and grab a torch, like I did wih Mya. But this season, the rest of the pack doesn't thrill me enough for that aspect of the show to be as big a consideration. It's nice when it does happen (the feel-good story of nice non-dancers rising to the top), but it's never a guarantee, no matter how much the show tries to steer things thay way.

    The only star this year who comes close to fitting this mold for me is Erin. If she came through in the rest of the dances and somehow pulled it off, it would be that kind of a story, and I'd be happy. She's like the Kelly Osborne of this season in that sense. Unortunately, she's also like Kelly in that she is her own worst enemy when it comes to confidence on the dance floor. It's a coin flip every time with her, will she forget herself and dnace great or get nervous and not follow through 100%?

    As for Evan and Chad, neither of them thrill me enough to want them to defy logic and win. Chad is obviously not good enough still, and there is obviously something off about Cheryl this season, and you have to wonder if it's Chad that's clouding her ability to make her partner looks as great as she has in the past. I think Cheryl can't wait for this season to end, frankly.

    As for Evan, the problem with him is that he should be more of a frontrunner then he turned out to be. I get how people love him, and want him to emerge as the aw-shucks hero just like he did in the Olympics. But I just can't feel it. He is dull! Dull, dull, dull! Even when he pulls off a great dance like their quickstep or last night's paso (which admittedly I missed part of it and have to watch again), to me he still seems like a teenager in the arms of an experienced woman. He never commands like the male is expected to in these dances. When I watch him, I see a boy trying to please the audience and his folks and coaches and favorite teachers...but not a grown man with a point of view. With Donny, it was easy to overlook the fact that he wasn't technically the best dancer because it was, y'know, Donny Osmond! But I don't think Evan fits into that same category of celebrity.

    This is why I would rather see Nicole win: I don't think the "purpose" of the show that people like to see is possible to achieve in a believable manner this season. And if you can't force it upon the results without it seeming like tampering, then they (and we) should at least use common sense and award the best dancer. But, it's an entertainment show as well as a ballroom competition, and everyone tunes in for their own reasons. I just want the results to be believable enough so that it doesn't look ridiculous to the outside world.
    Isn't he only 23 or 24? I think your characterization is very accurate. Add to his age the way he has lived his life and I think he is still very young and naive in many ways! That being said, I think he comes across as one of the nicest and most genuinely happy to be there stars ever. Reminds me of Shawn and how they wanted her to be more sexy. I actually thought he did a fantastic job with the paso last night. Totally dorky, but it actually brought me to tears - and no one has done that in a really long time for me.

  8. #188
    FORT Fogey veg_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Wow! Just WOW to last night. Evan's PD was riveting. I could not take my eyes off that kid. He was in charge of that dance last night. WOW.

    Nicole, as always, brought her A game. Derek's neck issue was a non-issue, just drama in my book.

    The one thing about Erin's dances this week: I was completely focused on watching her, not Maks, so I tip my hat to Maks for choreographing a dance that focused the viewer on Erin, not him. Her VW was graceful, elegant; it accentuated her assets, i.e long lines, good posture, and grace. Her PD, I liked it, but I'm not sure it was a paso, by the Evan, Nicole, Mel B standards.

    Chad was Chad. He has improved, but the samba was rough.

    Per the judges' comments, I do think that they tried to hint at the final that they want: Evan, Nicole, Erin. Chad did not get the "you should be in the finals" whereas Erin's comments had variations of that littered throughout them.

    When I calculated the judges' scores disparity it breaks down like this

    Chad= 52/160 (total points of all couples' scores)=.325
    Erin=56/160=3.5
    Evan/Nicole=59/160=.368

    The gap's a bit wider between Chad and Erin than Erin and the top 2. Here's hoping....

  9. #189
    FORT Fogey Beachmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,663

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3906567;
    Wow! Just WOW to last night. Evan's PD was riveting. I could not take my eyes off that kid. He was in charge of that dance last night. WOW.

    Nicole, as always, brought her A game. Derek's neck issue was a non-issue, just drama in my book.

    The one thing about Erin's dances this week: I was completely focused on watching her, not Maks, so I tip my hat to Maks for choreographing a dance that focused the viewer on Erin, not him. Her VW was graceful, elegant; it accentuated her assets, i.e long lines, good posture, and grace. Her PD, I liked it, but I'm not sure it was a paso, by the Evan, Nicole, Mel B standards.

    Chad was Chad. He has improved, but the samba was rough.

    Per the judges' comments, I do think that they tried to hint at the final that they want: Evan, Nicole, Erin. Chad did not get the "you should be in the finals" whereas Erin's comments had variations of that littered throughout them.
    When I calculated the judges' scores disparity it breaks down like this

    Chad= 52/160 (total points of all couples' scores)=.325
    Erin=56/160=3.5
    Evan/Nicole=59/160=.368

    The gap's a bit wider between Chad and Erin than Erin and the top 2. Here's hoping....
    First bolded part: ITA!!!!

    Second bolded part: Can this actually be done?

    Third bolded part: On her first dance, Len said she "made a giant step through the door" to the finals.

  10. #190
    FORT Fogey veg_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3906600;
    First bolded part: ITA!!!!

    Second bolded part: Can this actually be done?

    Third bolded part: On her first dance, Len said she "made a giant step through the door" to the finals.
    To the "can this be done?": it's really tough actually but yes

    Also, I'm off a decimal point in the percentage calculation for Erin: Her decimal equivalent was .35, not 3.5.

    Oops!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.