+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I took dance so I'd probably qualify as having experience-but looking like Nicole? Not even close That's probably more what Evan is getting at.

I just watched Nicole/Derek's cha cha-I hate when any couple lip syncs along to the song. They aren't the first ones to do it, but it really is distracting. In reality, I was kind of let down with their performance. I thought the team dance was better. Too much messing about in the beginning. If I mute the judges comments and don't watch their rehearsal package, I find I enjoy them a lot more if I just watch their dance. But if they dance on Tuesday nights during the show, they'd look like any other pro couple performing.

I wonder who will get the encore tomorrow. I hope it's finally Erin.

FORT Fanatic

I think Derek is a really good choreographer. But I also think it must be a whole lot easier to choreograph for someone who can dance, vs. someone who can't. I would really like to see him get a Kate Gosselin, or Holly Madison, or Kim Kardashian some season and see what happens when he has to choreograph down to their level, vs. choreograph for someone who for the most part is at his level dancing wise.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

karalott, I just felt he was really shying away from admitting he has experience, since it wasn't mentioned in his "package" either. Generally, all figure skaters take dance while they are in competition. Line, dance moves, and lyricism (since skaters skate to music) is very important, so dance is an essential part of their training.
    I just wish Evan had owned up as the others had. And his dancing experience is so evident in his dancing anyway... especially in his beautiful lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn;3906285;
    I think Derek is a really good choreographer. But I also think it must be a whole lot easier to choreograph for someone who can dance, vs. someone who can't. I would really like to see him get a Kate Gosselin, or Holly Madison, or Kim Kardashian some season and see what happens when he has to choreograph down to their level, vs. choreograph for someone who for the most part is at his level dancing wise.
    That's what I'd like to see.

I enjoyed Chad more tonight than I have since I think week 1. I'm more impressed the band doesn't completely butcher GaGa songs as they do everyone else. I wish they'd drop the latin solos because, as we saw, there more about gimmicks than any dancing. Cheryl didn't annoy as much, either. And sorry Len, but I totally disagree about Chad's shirtless abs being a 10 and Maks's an 8 Chad reminded me a bit about Warren with his movements. If he'd been dancing like this sooner I'd feel better about him being in the finals. But I want Erin dang it!

Evan/Anna's paso is one of the best. I think it might surpass Mel/Maks's as my all time favorite. I so hope they win this. That was amazing choreography with Anna. Much like the above with Derek always having a partner with potential and seeing what he can do with an absolute dud, we've seen Anna can really shine when she's got a contender. BTW, what the heck was up with Bruno's comment when he scored Erin/Maks's paso? He said 'for Erin...' judges getting a little hostile towards Maks or something?
    Last edited by karalott; 05-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3906292;
    BTW, what the heck was up with Bruno's comment when he scored Erin/Maks's paso? He said 'for Erin...' judges getting a little hostile towards Maks or something?
    When Bruno was bleeped, I think he was saying that Maks f*%&ed up at the end of their dance, not Erin. So when he said 'for Erin', I think that was his follow up to that comment.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3906304;
    When Bruno was bleeped, I think he was saying that Maks f*%&ed up the part at the end, not Erin. So when he said 'for Erin', I think that was his follow up to that comment.
    So in other words, he didn't mean it as a diss then. I know Maks took the blame so I guess that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3906269;
    Did I actually hear Evan claim he has NO dance experience?!

A quote (Evan's own words) from a New York Sports article titled "How Evan Lysacek got ready to Win Gold

Ballet is dance, last I heard. Props to Erin and Nicole for showing a little of the experience they've had via their "packages".

That said, of the three with dance experience, Evan is by far my favourite. I hope so much that he wins this. It's not just him, but his pro is such a great choreographer, and it has been fun to watch their chemistry and growth in relationship throughout this competition.

It really is time for Chad and his slouchy shoulders to hit the road.

Eta: Did Derek have an incredible neck recovery between the first and second dance? After the second dance, he was celebrating and he did this head bang thing and I was like, "ouch!" Oddly, it didn't seem to faze him.
    It's been a LONG time since I skated, but when I did, ballet training was introduced/used for stretching, extension and balance. Not necessarily for dance. Although they probably do use ballet to teach figure skaters how to "feel" the music and interpret the music in addition to stretching, extension and balance. Just my thoughts, could be completely wrong here-but that's what they were teaching us in Alsip, IL (south of Chicago as opposed to west where Evan got his initial training).
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

I was stunned by Nicole's first dance and appalled by her second "dance." I want the first one on DVD but don't want to see the second ever again. Her first was the best dance in the history of DWTS that I've seen, but the second? Pure junk!

I think Derek put everything into the first and ran out of time for the second. I agree with Len and the critics on the ABC Board. It wasn't a CCC!

I hated everything about that fake Cha Cha Cha starting with Nicole's horrendous costume. Where did she get that hideous outfit? Did she raid Kiran Chetry's closet? The ridiculous puffy shirt. The colors. The bare midriff. Then there was the stripper chair prop. She looked like she was the warm-up act for David Copperfield. After she got off the chair the "dancing" was boring. The music had pathetic singing by some guy who sounded more high-pitched and out of key than Britney Spears.

It leaves you wondering if Derek will ruin it in the finals like previous professionals. To make that kind of a disaster so late in the competition after an epic performance should make any of her fans very concerned even if the freestyle is Derek's forte.

Evan knows how to come on strong in the final performance. He has a competitive edge over Nicole. She's a perfectionist who could crack under the pressure she's not used to. The DWTS final is like nothing she's done, pressure wise, on Dolls.

Remember how Evan won the Olympics beating the ringer? Is Sherzinger the new Plushenko?
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

I think Derek/Nicole will be fine in the finals, for several reasons: 1) CA and Bruno love them no matter what; 2) the freestyle round is anything goes, and while Anna and Cheryl may go for a more showy style routine, Nicole will probably choreograph a 100% hip hop routine and her experience will shine through like it never has; 3) they've gotten decent scores for doing non dances as it is. I don't think doing the dance the right way is a criteria anymore.

Anyone but those 2 for the win. I'll deal with Chad even if I can't stand Cheryl.

Just my 2 cents...I thought everyone gave it their all tonight. I was especially amazed by Evan's 2nd dance and his solo. By far the best solo of the evening. Derek, again, is an outstanding choreographer. Out of the 4 couples, I think Erin and Evan advanced the most from the beginning, and I've loved Erin & Maks more every week , which is why I voted, texted and e-mailed my votes for Erin. I used 3 phones for the traditional call-in votes. I think Chad did well, but not enough to put him in the finals.

One more thought...just read an article quoting an "insider" about how toxic it was backstage with Kate on the show, and they're all dreading her return. The "insider" specifically mentioned hair & makeup or costume department as really dreading it. I wonder if that's why Kate's makeup and costumes always looked ghastly?

Ooops....one more thought....I respectfully ask that Brooke stop using the term "package" when talking with the contestants. It just doesn't sound right when she says it. Can't she just call it a video clip or something?

+ Reply to Thread