+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 5/10 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/10 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2;3899336;
    I think Evan has a crush on Erin. They seemed pretty chummy during the group dance and for the first time I know of, he said he was sad to leave L.A. last week. But, that's definitely not much to go on, just a weird hunch...
    I get a brother/sister vibe from the 2 of them.
    And, with Erin being almost 10 years older than Evan, I just can't see them as a couple.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3899376;
    I'm not knocking Derek's skills as a choreographer or dancer, nor have I ever. But all of these pros are phenominal and, with the right partner, can definitely show what they're made of. Derek's never had a difficult partner, dance wise, to choreograph for. Anna is showing new sides of her this season because she has a more competent dancer in Evan, Maks is able to choreograph better routines with Erin over Debi and Denise, and so on. I don't know of any pro that has ever been disrespectful to their partner, except maybe Karina, aside from the few fights here and there. All the pros seem to really want to showcase themselves and their world the best they can. I'm sure it's overly frustrating to be someone like Tony and Edyta, who've been on this show a long time, have yet to win, and typically get partners that they know are an early exit. As I've said all season, what a feeling it must be to be Derek/Nicole. I'm tired of him, tired of the Hough/Ballas pimping, the judges 'can do no wrong-never seen anything like it-here's 10s for showing up' gushing starting week 1, Derek never having any sort of difficult partner (and before anyone says Joanna Krupa, I'm sure Jonathan would have gladly swapped his 3rd first ouster in a row with Macy for 4th place with Joanna), breaking rules but still getting high marks, his gimmicks, OTT mugging-I can't even get enjoyment out of watching their performances. Nicole is a diva with attitude. I don't like her. I'm only watching their paso because everyone said how good it was, but will skip their foxtrot. Regardless of everyone thinking Evan has this in the bag, I'm still expecting them to pull off a "surprise" Nicole win. They want ringers? Fine, then get 11 of them, and while they're at it, make sure they all have ballroom experience. It's not like it really matters.

Actually, I think I may just skip everyone's performances but Evan and Erin. They're the only two I'm enjoying.

I think Derek is a phenomenal choreographer and great dancer. He does know how to bring out the best in his partners. Still, I agree that he get the cream of the crop in terms of partners and it is not really fair. They clearly favor him.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3899389;
    I think Derek is a phenomenal choreographer and great dancer. He does know how to bring out the best in his partners. Still, I agree that he get the cream of the crop in terms of partners and it is not really fair. They clearly favor him.
    In terms of calling someone the best choreographer on here, that's hard to do. I don't really think one pro is better than the other. When they have decent partners, they can do a lot. I know Edyta often gets slammed for her routines, but I think she did a great job with Jason, Cameron, and Joey, and even two of her clunkers, John and George. Her routines with Aiden were pretty good, too. Jonathan I feel is the only one whose potential we've never really seen, as he's never had a partner that's been at the dance level of even Erin. Back in the day, I used to think Cheryl was top notch in every dance she touched (unlike Derek, in her case I'm bored). I'd probably rank Louis, Kym, and Anna T. up there in terms of coming up with unique, creative, and tough choreography, no matter how much of a clunker they have as a partner. In most cases, no matter how big of a ringer his partner may be, I often watch Derek in his routines because he is so good at what he does. No question there, just wish the show was a little better in dishing out the good/crappy partners evenly. I wouldn't mind seeing Cheryl get a few early exits, as that's rare for her, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3899310;
    Nothing against Nicole and Derek, but they do look like a professional dance couple. They are very good together and they both bring talent to the dance floor. Derek is an excellent choreographer and Nicole is a natural talent. She belongs in the entertainment industry, whether on stage or on the dance floor. If she was trained before DWTS then she has an obvious advantage over the others. But if she came untrained like the others, then she is an amazing dancer. She has been perfectly paired with Derek and they complement each other. I expect them to win even though I prefer Evan or Erin to win. Fans better get busy voting!
    She already IS in the entertainment field. As the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls, she's done plenty of dancing. In fact, she has a dance DVD out:

Join Pussycat Dolls creator and world-famous choreographer Robin Antin for the sexiest, most glamorous and fun dance workout you’ve ever done! Along with the Girls from the Pussycat Lounge Review, Robin will show you simple but striking signature dance moves to hit Pussycat Dolls’ songs that will help you move with confidence and dance your way to a lean and beautiful body. So if you’re ready to achieve the slim, sleek, toned physique of a dancer and feel fierce while you’re doing it, this is the puuurrrfect workout!

Featuring Lead Singer Nicole Scherzinger in a Dance Performance.

I agree with karalott - if they're going to use a ringer, then get 11 of them. Let's have the competition on a level field.

I completely agree with Karalott above.
    I also think that each pro has a slightly different focus. I think some are all about actually teaching their celebrity the basics of dance. It means they will sometimes be less flashy and slower in their choreography, especially at the beginning. Others are more about the current competition and teach the parts of the routine, lines, etc., necessary to get decent scores for that week.
    Add Alec to the pros that have not had a contender in a while. He won the first season, but has been an early out pretty much since, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3899349;
    Erin has had nothing but good things to say about Evan, and he the same. They really seemed to have developed the strongest friendship out of everyone..
    Erin was quoted as saying Evan is her best friend on the show. I personally think that's all there is to it. They seem to be very close. I know he spends a lot of time after the show, when he can, with Erin, Maks, and Kendra (her sister).

Did anyone see the kiss at the end of Erin and Maks' second dance? It didn't look to me like the typical kiss on the cheek. See, I think they're showing little signs of being comfortable in public with their relationship, even when they dance around the questions with their "cute" comments!

Two dances was a bit of overkill for me.
    I enjoyed most of the couples' first dances - even Nicole and Derek's. The latter reminded me of Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain. Derek is just that good.
    I still can't believe Niecy got to stay over Pam. I just find her unwatchable and unfunny.
    It's seeming overly obvious that Nicole and Erin are not getting that many votes for some reason.
    The judges have really been pushing them more than usual.
    On the other hand, I think Chad, Niecy and Evan have a lot of fans.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3899370;
    I think it was 50s in how it blended the paso with West Side Story moves, and later in the dance, how the moves turned more rockabilly once in a while. Plus Derek added little moves like slicking back his hair once in a while, and the costuming. I think it would have been a little more 50s if Nicole were dressed more like a West Side Story girl than a paso girl, but overall, I liked how the influence was subtle, but there, and it was still a paso at heart.
    I marvelled how he pulled that out of his hat. From dismay and confusion to gorgeous perfection. I also like that Derek has relaxed in his instructor mode with Nicole. She has become his muse. When you take on someone with her natural talent, you run with it and don't try to corral it.

I thought Erin also did very well tonight. She is still stiff in her core at times, but her arms and legs are beautiful.

I agree that Niecy and Louis were "out of the power balance" during their paso. A couple of times I thought she would knock him over.

I think Chad's being in the play-offs strategy is playing too much with his mind. He still needs to feel the flow of the dance.

A while back I brought up a comparison of Evan to the robot in the I, Robot movie. If he had painted his face silver, it would have been a dead-on look-a-like. After the talk about connecting and seeming cold, I only saw a one time connection in their waltz and that was the last dip. He admitted that when he isn't looking at her face he goes into step count mode. Loosen up, Evan.

Slightly OT: I swear I saw Kiptyn Locke of Bachelorette fame in the audience tonight. He sat in an aisle seat on the top row just below the celebri-quarium.

A good night of dancing; they are all trying so hard, but I think a few of them could relax while trying.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I do think Derek is one of the best choreographers on the show. I also think Cheryl is one of the better ones too. I don't think the others are bad by any stretch but if I was going on the show these are two that I would like on my side most.

I read Julieanne might be back next season and if that's the case I hope Derek has the season off. The Trio aka Mark, Derek and Julieanne can be a lot to take at one time. Derek never gets a clunker and with Mark going out first and Julieanne returning they are sure to get people who can contend. Might as well turn off the tv because they will all be in the semis and that's boring not to mention predictable. I'd like to see Tony get someone good after Kate and I adore Chelsie so I hope she would get someone who would get a shot but doubtful if the other 3 are all there. I wonder if Kym and Dmitry will be back. I like both so I hope so.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3899421;
    I do think Derek is one of the best choreographers on the show. I also think Cheryl is one of the better ones too. I don't think the others are bad by any stretch but if I was going on the show these are two that I would like on my side most.

I read Julieanne might be back next season and if that's the case I hope Derek has the season off. The Trio aka Mark, Derek and Julieanne can be a lot to take at one time. Derek never gets a clunker and with Mark going out first and Julieanne returning they are sure to get people who can contend. Might as well turn off the tv because they will all be in the semis and that's boring not to mention predictable. I'd like to see Tony get someone good after Kate and I adore Chelsie so I hope she would get someone who would get a shot but doubtful if the other 3 are all there. I wonder if Kym and Dmitry will be back. I like both so I hope so.
    I was wrong about which pros were probably going to get cut this season but I would really be surprised if Kym, Lacey, Karina, and Dmitry didn't return next season (two of them I could do without-especially if it meant losing Maks). Also Jonathan and Alec, though their usually wild cards as it is. It also wouldn't shock me if they have a few more couples next season. Not 16 ever again, but maybe go back up to 12/13. When hearing celebs say who they requested, I often hear Cheryl, Mark, Derek, Tony, and Maks's names come up. That's not to say the others don't get requested but I bet those 5 especially get picked, because of their popularity on the show, as well as getting along with the judges (for the most part anyway). I would be curious to know how much one's dance experience on this show, at least in a celeb's opinion, weighs in along with the factors. Once Derek has a really tough dancer on his hands and he can really work with his magic? Then I'm more apt to get onboard on the love train and off the anti-Hough express. Was anyone surprised at anything Derek/Nicole have managed to achieve this season (winning the swing marathon, being on the winning end of the team dances, being the first to get 10s, being CA and Bruno's pets while ballroom expert Len stands by what he knows, knowing when they're going to get 10s, and knowing they were in the finals before the season even started?) Evan is the next in line at being predictable, but I've enjoyed him mainly because it's been great seeing Anna get to show her stuff (thank God he didn't get Cheryl). Plus, he's really has flaws he's had to work on and hasn't been getting gushed over.

I agree with karalott - if they're going to use a ringer, then get 11 of them. Let's have the competition on a level field.
    And I really don't want that, as there's plenty of shows to watch 2 pros do their thing. But at least it'd make it more fair and make the judges nitpicking even more painfully obvious. Give me 11 Apolo's. He wasn't as much of a ringer as Kristi but was still at the top of the pack, dance wise. This season I thought had a lot of promise, as every looked to have enormous potential, and only a couple of designated horrible hoofers. As time's gone on, it's become more and more predictable what's going to happen, how the judges will react, and frankly it's taken the enjoyment out of the show for me. I'd rather go back in time where things didn't seem so obvious and when it did, the opposite happened. They're really playing Niecy up tonight as tomorrow's boot, and took Chad down a bunch of pegs. We'll see if Erin keeps her momentum going into next week, because that'll really indicate who they want as their 3rd place finisher.

Did anyone see the kiss at the end of Erin and Maks' second dance? It didn't look to me like the typical kiss on the cheek. See, I think they're showing little signs of being comfortable in public with their relationship, even when they dance around the questions with their "cute" comments!
    That looked kind of awkward to me. It seemed like they were going for a kiss on the cheek but missed. It could just be the level of friendship they've gotten to. We see the pros/celebs kiss each other on the cheeks and heads all the time. Since it's getting towards the end of the season, and if their is something going on, maybe it'll come out. Who knows. I think I'd rather live with the illusion that they're going to have their happily ever after, but something about them doesn't scream romantic as it does really great friends.

+ Reply to Thread