+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3896254;
    Will she go back to her sports on ESPN? Or will she leave them for ABC? I'm sure ABC would love to have her. Do they have a connection with ESPN?
    Yes, ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney. In fact, if you watch a sporting event on ABC, it will say something like ESPN Sports on ABC. Some of the sports personalities appear on both networks.

I don't think Erin has any ambition to leave the sports part of the networks. She's always seemed knowledgeable when she's been working as a sideline reporter. In other words, she's not one of the women who work the sidelines who appear to be there for their looks alone. Nor does she appear to be there angling to become a network news anchor or to try to move into the entertainment industry.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Now if Melissa is owned by ABC (can't they make her a kiddie show host or something to get her out of our faces?), is Erin the next one to undergo this treatment? Will she go back to her sports on ESPN? Or will she leave them for ABC? I'm sure ABC would love to have her. Do they have a connection with ESPN?

I think Erin's a great dancer who is giving it her all, in spite of what she's had to endure.

But I don't think she deserves to win. I'd like to see Evan get the trophy. He's a better dancer, as is Nicole, but I don't want her to win!

ESPN is partially owned by ABC, both of which are owned by Disney. Erin's contract is up this year (last I read, Erin was in negotiations about it). Depending on Erin's aspirations, I'm sure that ABC would help her whether it be to continue with ESPN or transition into another news show. That's what remains to be seen. Even Erin said this week that she'll need a break after this show to recover from "playing dress-up."

Erin made it this far because she really is a decent dancer. In the best case scenario, she should be in the F3 ahead of Niecy and Chad. If the true point of the competition is "most improved dancer," then the F2 should be between Erin and Evan. We'd only reach that ending if somehow Nicole fell out of the scene. At that point, well, depending on Erin and Evan's performances these next weeks, that would determine who rightfully deserved the trophy. I love both Erin and Evan. Evan is magical to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3896345;
    Yes, ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney.
    Sorry, Mariner. Didn't see your post before writing mine

'm glad Erin is determined not to let the idiots out there alter the way she lives her life. She has a backbone and I respect her for it. You go girl! I want to see Erin in the finals. She has something sorely lacking these days, character.
    Erin deals with an extension of this kind of unevolved closed-minded sexism every day as a sports reporter.
    Agree 1000% with these statements. Watching Erin go head-to-head with Maks shows her confidence. Each Monday, ESPN radio interviews EA. She holds her own in sports talk with "the boys." During one of these shows, she discussed her relationship with Maks, the stubborn partner, comparing it to her experience of forging a path in a male-dominated world. She spoke up for herself to him as she does in the sports crowd. (I don't think it was quite the battle though ). Sadly, sports journalism is still a field that sexism dominates.

I'm super proud that Erin's in this position. Her story is many women's story; the discussions that arise as a result will hopefully alter views. Above all, I'm thrilled that she continues to live her life, have fun, stay grounded and humorous.

(As for the Fox article, well, it's Fox ) No offense intended to FoxNews fans.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3896358;
    Agree 1000% with these statements. Watching Erin go head-to-head with Maks shows her confidence. Each Monday, ESPN radio interviews EA. She holds her own in sports talk with "the boys." During one of these shows, she discussed her relationship with Maks, the stubborn partner, comparing it to her experience of forging a path in a male-dominated world. She spoke up for herself to him as she does in the sports crowd. (I don't think it was quite the battle though ). Sadly, sports journalism is still a field that sexism dominates.

I'm super proud that Erin's in this position. Her story is many women's story; the discussions that arise as a result will hopefully alter views. Above all, I'm thrilled that she continues to live her life, have fun, stay grounded and humorous.

(As for the Fox article, well, it's Fox ) No offense intended to FoxNews fans.
    I noticed the Fox association too, veg_out.

And I derailed the conversation a little by talking about Emmitt Smith, who is unrelated to a discussion about sexism, but I love Emmitt and couldn't help it.

I also googled a little and I guess there have been increasingly token women sports reporters and female reporters doing interviewing in men's locker rooms for years and years but, even today, it continues to be a constant battle against sexism for them.

And that sports writer - or blogger or whatever he is for Fox - repeatedly calling Erin 'Sideline Barbie' really highlights that. I mean, he barely used her name just 'Sideline Barbie'. And what Elisabeth said only blatantly encourages those attitudes which is highly unfortunate. And if it turns out to be a conspiracy to gain Erin a position somewhere else at ABC/Disney other than ESPN it really should have been done a much different and much better way.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3896363;
    And that sports writer - or blogger or whatever he is for Fox - repeatedly calling Erin 'Sideline Barbie' really highlights that. I mean, he barely used her name just 'Sideline Barbie'. And what Elisabeth said only blatantly encourages those attitudes which is highly unfortunate. And if it turns out to be a conspiracy to gain Erin a position somewhere else at ABC/Disney other than ESPN it really should have been done a much different and much better way.
    Our conversation about sexism in the media (forget the world) could span 1 week's time....

About the article. It fascinated me that someone would draw such conclusions about the intent of the comment. Given that the comment was a produced segment, I really did think, "Who thought to discuss this topic?" Was it Elisabeth? or the producers? Who determines these women's discussion? At that point, you just wonder the reason behind a produced segment singling out the clothing of a woman who was a victim of a stalker. How would any thinking person not draw some correlation between the overt images and the implicit message of "she should cover up lest it be repeated?" Beyond that query, I just don't understand the producers supporting it given that it's an ABC show and that Erin is an employee of the station both as a DWTS celeb and an ESPN correspondent. What was their point? (Maybe I'm overanalyzing.)

Back to the article. I get the feeling that this dude's sole M.O. is to aggravate while attempting to be funny which he's not. He obviously has no regard for women. Sadly, how many men do look at EA and EH as he does? I wonder how many men enjoy EA's reporting/analysis due to their factual accuracy and insight more so than the fact that she's gorgeous. Uphill battle

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

WOW - that article! I'm so tired of guessing which reality shows are "real"! I honestly don't know any more. This isn't the first article I've heard about that said the whole thing is a set up. Do I think Erin can win it after all this? I really don't, but maybe that was the plan all along. Now if Melissa is owned by ABC (can't they make her a kiddie show host or something to get her out of our faces?), is Erin the next one to undergo this treatment? Will she go back to her sports on ESPN? Or will she leave them for ABC? I'm sure ABC would love to have her. Do they have a connection with ESPN? Are they up for broadcasting rights for prime time football soon? How much of THIS show is real? Are those nebulous combined scores on the up and up?

I think Erin's a great dancer who is giving it her all, in spite of what she's had to endure.

I hope she and Maks are a couple IRL. He seems to prefer strong-willed women.

But I don't think she deserves to win. I'd like to see Evan get the trophy. He's a better dancer, as is Nicole, but I don't want her to win!

If this has all been a set up all along (I just can't believe it has, but I'm getting so cynical about these shows), then. . .
    I like to have a small hope that the show isn't outright rigged, but maybe just highly manipulated. It's becoming more and more obvious each season with casting the ringers (especially when some of the same pros continually luck out), the judges overscoring/overpraising or being downright nasty to a couple that really didn't deserve it, seeing an investment like Kate outstay her welcome, the advantage of some over others, etc. I really will be surprised if Erin wins, as much as I want that to happen. Evan's my second choice. Then Chad I guess, but I don't want it to be Niecy or Nicole. But I hate when articles like that come out because then people might wonder As much as I think Nicole is going to win for Derek or people thinking the show would prefer a female winner, I have to say I think whoever wins there's probably no rigging. Maybe

Here's Maks's blog for the week. Guess what his #1 topic was:

Dancing's Maks: Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Comments Were "Unnecessary" - Celebrity Blogs | TVGuide.com

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3896672;
    It's like Elisabeth walked by her on the street and kicked her down. It made no sense to bring it up. It was clear that Elisabeth didn't think her comments through. What she said not only rude and insensitive to Erin, but it ended up targeting everyone who's been victimized by that type of activity. And that's just not right. You don't blame the victim.
    Standing ovation for Maks. And thanks for posting this Kara.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3896683;
    Standing ovation for Maks. And thanks for posting this Kara.
    No problem! I always look forward to Maks's blogs but this week, of course, I especially couldn't wait. I think he said all that needed to be said. He's been trying to make this a fun experience for Erin to try and help her move forward and realize she can live her life, and as soon as he does that, someone goes and makes some stupid remark that gets her feeling bad again. I think DWTS has been a good thing for both Erin and Maks. He, after his break up with Karina last season and not having her around this time, and her, for all she's been through, getting to do something she's wanted to for so long and be able to put her focus elsewhere. I'd like to see Erin/Maks boycott a View appearance but I think they're bigger than that. I'm sure it'll be all smiles onstage but backstage probably not so much. Hopefully Elisabeth doesn't use Erin's appearance to try and make herself look good and like she can understand what she's going through.

FORT Fogey

This is my first time reading Maks' blog, and I loved it. It's so great to see him stick up for Erin and also to admit that he is opinionated himself. But I'm not mad about that picture of him.

I admit it, I ship these two so hard. But even if they aren't a couple, she seems to be having a great time with him and that's wonderful to see. He is so sweet with her.

+ Reply to Thread