+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3884243;
    I wonder if it could be a sort of joke since she said last week on the show that there wouldn't be any thing going on between her and Maks until he gave her a ring like Chad gave Cheryl.
    Ostensibly, that is it; ordinarily, I wouldn't care and certainly not enough to say anything. However, although the NFL Draft is not earth-shattering, it is very important in the lives of all of those people who were directly involved with it last night, and Erin was on the scene with one fellow especially who they called "on the table". He is evidently a very talented young quarterback who was anxiously waiting to be picked up (which he wasn't at least last night during the first round). They would cut from time to time to Erin to see how this young man was handling the pressure, and that huge ring just jumped out right in the middle of it all. It was a bit disconcerting....
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I would think either it's part of her wardrobe choice or a joke (would be even funnier if Chad gave it to her). I don't know that I'd see her wearing a joke ring during something like this, so I'm inclined to think it was just something she owned.

Those judges better be nice and fair to these two this week! I don't know why I feel like Maks might not be back next season, but I worry if he gets ticked about not having a good run with Erin, he'll take the season off out of spite. Call it being bitter and petty, but I don't blame him, and I'd miss him In this case I don't get what the judges issue is but their being inconsistant is worse than usual this season.

I've viewed all the post-show interviews with the couples and I can tell Maks is pretty fed. This is a season of great inconsistency by the judges, as they certainly are not judging everyone alike. Stumbles, props and gimmicks are mentioned for some and not others. Critiques are given and then the scores do not match the critiques. After the season, I hope CariAnn, Len and Bruno are locked up in a room together and made to sit through all the episodes in one sitting and see exactly how erratic they were in THEIR performances! Good grief!

I'm considering writing to ABC again to remind them that their viewers aren't idiots and yes, we notice who they're favoring and who they aren't. If Pam/Evan/Nicole/Jake isn't the final 4 I'd eat dirt though on the off chance Pam doesn't make it, I think it'll be Niecy. If Evan or Nicole make the DO in any week against anyone but the other, I cry rigged. I was thinking about the first week how Aiden/Edyta got called out for messing about during the beginning of their cha cha, with Edyta whipping off a coat and Aiden jumping off the stars, yet never called Derek out for starting his jive up in the glass house talking to Pam. And there's been other times Len loves when they use the stairs, and other times he doesn't. Jake should have gotten called out for not having his pants on and taking the time to put them on. It was no different than any other theme/gimmick used that night, and was even longer.

The good thing about Maks is he doesn't take his issues laying down. Now of course the producers can point to the door and replace him at the drop of a hat, but he won't go down without a fight. Some people blamed the ratings decline last season on some of the pros who made an early exit. So hopefully the show realizes trying to get rid of their long term pros who've become just as much a staple of this show might be a bad thing. SCD is planning on it and I'll be curious how that works out for them.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3884637
    The good thing about Maks is he doesn't take his issues laying down. [B
    Now of course the producers can point to the door and replace him at the drop of a hat, but he won't go down without a fight. [/B] Some people blamed the ratings decline last season on some of the pros who made an early exit. So hopefully the show realizes trying to get rid of their long term pros who've become just as much a staple of this show might be a bad thing. SCD is planning on it and I'll be curious how that works out for them.
    I agree with everything you said. If the producers even thought about replacing Maks - other than his wanting to take the season "off" on his own for whatever reason - they would lose A LOT of viewers. And they're not dumb - they know who brings in the ratings.

FORT Newbie

SCD is planning on it and I'll be curious how that works out for them.
    Sorrry, I don't understand what this sentence means. Would you mind giving me a bit more?

I'm encouraged by everyone's conclusion that fan support of Maks would make ABC keep him aboard. But to do so and then abuse their powers by scoring his partnership unfairly just is too, too exasperating. One can no longer expect any sense of fairness on DWTS. And that just violates my fundamental beliefs. Why watch even handsome Maks if the show is going to be so unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by danesRfun;3884703;
    Sorrry, I don't understand what this sentence means. Would you mind giving me a bit more?

I'm encouraged by everyone's conclusion that fan support of Maks would make ABC keep him aboard. But to do so and then abuse their powers by scoring his partnership unfairly just is too, too exasperating. One can no longer expect any sense of fairness on DWTS. And that just violates my fundamental beliefs. Why watch even handsome Maks if the show is going to be so unfair?
    Sorry, SCD=Strictly Come Dancing, our British version. They air once a year (rather than twice like us) and always in the fall. Last season, they had a lot of things go wrong, and got beat by The X-Factor, although I had read it was the network gurus who thought it was a good idea to move their time slot and then refused to budge when people complained. Obviously when it came time to choose which one to watch live, people made their choice. There were a lot of other things that happened last season that affected their ratings, and the rumor going around this time is that the show is going to try and get a bunch of American dancers on the show to replace a good majority of their pros (some of whom are big fan favorites). Derek Hough is once again rumored to be on their list and signed on, though that rumor has been there before. But it sounds like the pros were the least of the problem, and yet to give the show a re-vamp that's the element they're going to mess with (plus do like us and get a bigger stage and more audience involvement). There was an uproar last season for axing the oldest female judge and pro on the show.

I think the same could happen here. If I don't like the cast, at least I can watch my favorite pros. Even though it's become obvious who's going early and who's lasting until the end every season. But regardless, they're still there. I can't blame Maks for being ticked because that bit with Jake's pants was pathetic. Anyone else probably would have gotten points off (except maybe by Bruno, who seems to be becoming the voice of reason). Even Chelsie twirling out there with his pants looked awkward, and then just standing there doing a little shimmy while he put them on. Since I have 8 hours to kill at work tonight, I did write them to let them know the judges and editing pattern is old and predictable, and that the judges aren't playing fair. And that they really need new singers. I'm sure I can't be the only one whose written in about that.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3884328;
    I would think either it's part of her wardrobe choice or a joke (would be even funnier if Chad gave it to her). I don't know that I'd see her wearing a joke ring during something like this, so I'm inclined to think it was just something she owned.

I don't know why I feel like Maks might not be back next season, but I worry if he gets ticked about not having a good run with Erin, he'll take the season off out of spite. In this case I don't get what the judges issue is but their being inconsistant is worse than usual this season.
    Never posted on DWTS thread; first season actively watching it, mostly cuz I watched the first night to see if Jake could dance. I ended up falling in love with so many other couples, namely Maks and Erin. They're the reason I watch week-to-week: that crazy, fun, bantering partnership.

Two things:
    1) Erin's monstrous ring on ESPN: It may be a joke, but I think it's just her infusion of fashion. Gaudy rings are the rage at the moment. She wore a big black one when on Ellen. It would be super adorable if it was a shout-out to Maks. (Sorry, I'd love for them to be a duo in real life.)

2) Judging. Now that I'm totally engrossed by Maks, I went back to watch some of his past performances. He is an outstanding choreographer. I don't see that same "oommph" in his dances with Erin. Maybe the cha-cha. While I do think their tango and jive were scored low, I do think that their other scores were accurate. Are they judged against other couples or against themselves? Do you think that the judges have higher expectations of them both, so they're low-scoring them as motivation?

If Maks were to leave, it would not be quite as fun to watch. He's sizzling and adds so much to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3884930;
    Never posted on DWTS thread; first season actively watching it, mostly cuz I watched the first night to see if Jake could dance. I ended up falling in love with so many other couples, namely Maks and Erin. They're the reason I watch week-to-week: that crazy, fun, bantering partnership.

Two things:
    1) Erin's monstrous ring on ESPN: It may be a joke, but I think it's just her infusion of fashion. Gaudy rings are the rage at the moment. She wore a big black one when on Ellen. It would be super adorable if it was a shout-out to Maks. (Sorry, I'd love for them to be a duo in real life.)

2) Judging. Now that I'm totally engrossed by Maks, I went back to watch some of his past performances. He is an outstanding choreographer. I don't see that same "oommph" in his dances with Erin. Maybe the cha-cha. While I do think their tango and jive were scored low, I do think that their other scores were accurate. Are they judged against other couples or against themselves? Do you think that the judges have higher expectations of them both, so they're low-scoring them as motivation?

If Maks were to leave, it would not be quite as fun to watch. He's sizzling and adds so much to the show.
    Some of Maks's best work was with Laila Ali and Mel B, imo. He hadn't really had a potential worthy partner since Mel B, until now, but sadly he's not getting the recognition from the judges for it. I can see little tiny flaws from Erin, but nothing that can't get a quick fix or that have deserved such low scores. In response to the bolded part, that's the million dollar question when it comes to judging. I think it depends what kind of mood/day you catch them on. I had always thought they were compared to other couples as well as the judges maybe docking them if they know they can do better. Aside from the first week, I don't really think Erin's been given a fair shake. I feel like since Len said he should have given their waltz a 6 he's had it out for them especially. Maks is a polarizing yet popular pro. I think it's more a love to hate if you don't completely like him (in comparision to some other pros where there isn't that middle ground). I missed him during season 6, and in his early exits in the last 3 seasons, so I'm certainly enjoying watching him as long as I can. He's been doing some tweeting about him and Tony having some big things coming up, so in addition to his other post-DWTS projects as well as his potential discontent for the season I worry I may have a Maksless fall season.

FORT Newbie

Thanks for SCD background. I've not followed that show (can't really) but I've saved their pro dance from a couple seasons ago to the Chicago song. FABULOUS. All the women in dark bob wigs. VERY EXCITING DANCE.

DWTS has become so predictable and manipulative that I simply would not watch it at all if it weren't for Maksim. I love Tony D, Anna T, and Kym J as well, but not enough to put up with the rest of the now hackneyed goings on.

Maksim has a quality to him that adds fun and spice and interest to the whole cast. Every time he's been on I think, the cast rallies together in part because he networks them so well. He seemed to become great pals with Gilles, with Christian, with the sports dudes, etc. He promotes the camaraderie, IMO.

And then his own time on camera is so charismatic, unpredictable, and usually hilarious or gorgeous. Why they would waste such an asset on the likes of Denise Richards and Debi Mazar confounds me. (And the ratings dropped)

The favoritism toward any of the Ballas Brats is glaringly obvious and it appears to be their agenda this year for Derek to get another trophy so that they all have two.

Sorry, but I'm hoping for another outcome and that at least one of the fantastic American dancers from eastern Europe can claim it.

And that Maksim and Erin get scores that match their performances without the prejudicial crap and faint praise. (Color me angry about the unfairness of that.)

+ Reply to Thread