+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Re: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3909443;
    I hope that both Anna and Maks choreograph great freestyles next week, although I don't know if anyone can top Drew and Cheryl's. For me, that's still the best freestyle of the series.
    So true!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3909443;
    I hope that both Anna and Maks choreograph great freestyles next week, although I don't know if anyone can top Drew and Cheryl's. For me, that's still the best freestyle of the series.
    Freestyles have become lackluster in the later seasons compared to the early ones. Drew/Cheryl's remains my favorite, with some others really close behind. I enjoyed Kym's with both Warren and Donny, and Mark/Kristi's, but most of the other ones are unmemorable since season 6 onwards. Since most of the pros aren't the best at doing hip hop, I think they need to take Cheryl's route that she did with Drew. That was a freestyle themed around a song. Maks I think was at a disadvantage with Laila and Mel; he couldn't really do lifts with Laila and she wanted to have input with the choreography, and Mel wasn't able to fully rehearse her routine and forgot half of it, so she winged it. Anna's only had one shot, and part of the reason I'm hoping she'll win is because I figure her chances are a lot slimmer than Derek's or even Maks's of making the finals again anytime soon.

I think she's done a fantastic job with Evan, and just what a choreographer needs to do. He's showing improvement and peaking at the right time. She's come up with some really memorable, fun routines without going overboard on the props/gimmicks. I loved their paso mainly because she really showcased Evan in that dance. That should be a requirement how solos should be done. I'm glad Anna's had the chance to also have a partner where she can showcase her talents.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3909449;
    Freestyles have become lackluster in the later seasons compared to the early ones. Drew/Cheryl's remains my favorite, with some others really close behind. I enjoyed Kym's with both Warren and Donny, and Mark/Kristi's, but most of the other ones are unmemorable since season 6 onwards. Since most of the pros aren't the best at doing hip hop, I think they need to take Cheryl's route that she did with Drew. That was a freestyle themed around a song. Maks I think was at a disadvantage with Laila and Mel; he couldn't really do lifts with Laila and she wanted to have input with the choreography, and Mel wasn't able to fully rehearse her routine and forgot half of it, so she winged it. Anna's only had one shot, and part of the reason I'm hoping she'll win is because I figure her chances are a lot slimmer than Derek's or even Maks's of making the finals again anytime soon.

I think she's done a fantastic job with Evan, and just what a choreographer needs to do. He's showing improvement and peaking at the right time. She's come up with some really memorable, fun routines without going overboard on the props/gimmicks. I loved their paso mainly because she really showcased Evan in that dance. That should be a requirement how solos should be done. I'm glad Anna's had the chance to also have a partner where she can showcase her talents.
    I agree that Kym's and Donny's was another favorite. Delightful in a different way from Drew and Cheryl's. (And at the time I hadn't yet gotten sick of Cheryl)
    I'd like to say that now that Anna has done so well with Evan and shown an audience who may not be familiar with her what she could do, then maybe she'd have a better chance of coming back again with a decent partner. Then I remembered Kym from last season...I don't know how much she asked for $$$ wise and if all the pros get paid the same, but it's obvious that none of them are assured (except maybe Derek) of coming back each season or of getting a contender.
    And, to change the subject, my daughter who only occasionaly watches the show asked me last night why that Derek guy always gets such accomplished partners. (And BTW, she really does't like Nicole's attitude.)

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3909449;
    Freestyles have become lackluster in the later seasons compared to the early ones.
    Agreed. Fortunately for everyone involved, we've already seen the worst freestyle of the entire series with Marie's bizarro doll thing, so they couldn't possibly do worse than that. I still can't imagine what Jonathan was thinking with that one.
    I'm so pleased that Anna seems to have gotten a celeb that she's so well-matched with. They seem to work so well together and she really knows how to choreograph to his strengths. I thought that Paso was spectacular (in case I haven't mentioned it enough ) - it showed off Evan's talents so well and really allowed them to show the connection between the two of them. Plus, his solo was the only one that was really in the style of the dance. The music, the costumes, the choreography were just all perfect. I can't imagine how Anna could top it with the freestyle, but I'd love to see her try!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I managed to score some great tickets to Star on Ice tonight but I had to work so I sent my wife and kid (the one in my avatar with me). Kid texted me at intermission that there are several DWtS cast members around them. She said Louis, Chelsea and Buzz are sitting near them. My wife called at intermission and said the kids are going to try and meet the cast members there tonight. Why do I always have to work

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3909478;
    Agreed. Fortunately for everyone involved, we've already seen the worst freestyle of the entire series with Marie's bizarro doll thing, so they couldn't possibly do worse than that. I still can't imagine what Jonathan was thinking with that one.

I'm so pleased that Anna seems to have gotten a celeb that she's so well-matched with. They seem to work so well together and she really knows how to choreograph to his strengths. I thought that Paso was spectacular (in case I haven't mentioned it enough ) - it showed off Evan's talents so well and really allowed them to show the connection between the two of them. Plus, his solo was the only one that was really in the style of the dance. The music, the costumes, the choreography were just all perfect. I can't imagine how Anna could top it with the freestyle, but I'd love to see her try!
    I still believe it was one of two things where Marie/Jonathan's freestyle was concerned: it either looked really good on paper/in rehearsals, or they wanted to lose. If it's the latter, I think Jonathan could have found another way rather than scarring the viewers (and his freestyle making reputation). Some have been boring and just badly put together, but their's was definitely scary. I cringe everytime I think of Marie walking around like a horribly made blow up doll from a D-list 80s horror movie.

I think Anna's going to have a lot to work with for their freestyle, more than with Jerry Rice (who really wasn't anywhere near the dancer either Drew or Stacey was). Given what her routines have been like all season, there's is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Their paso is, for me, the best of the season. She got everything right with that dance. And it's what I like, because she pulled it together doing the actual dance and without relying on anything but their dancing. I feel like every dance she's put everything into the dance, taken the judges criticisms to heart, and really worked on Evan's strengths and trying to fix his weaknesses. I think it's been the hardest she can push him. I was worried pre-show that the show would try and create a rift between them, because of the Evan/Plushenko (with Anna being Russian) controversy, or her being a sassy, spunky spitfire while Evan's got a more laid back, quiet demeanor. I think he's been the perfect balance all season in what a celeb should do on this show. Respect your pro, respect the process, respect the judges, and give it your all. She's earned someone like him.

I agree that Kym's and Donny's was another favorite. Delightful in a different way from Drew and Cheryl's. (And at the time I hadn't yet gotten sick of Cheryl)
    I'd like to say that now that Anna has done so well with Evan and shown an audience who may not be familiar with her what she could do, then maybe she'd have a better chance of coming back again with a decent partner. Then I remembered Kym from last season...I don't know how much she asked for $$$ wise and if all the pros get paid the same, but it's obvious that none of them are assured (except maybe Derek) of coming back each season or of getting a contender.
    And, to change the subject, my daughter who only occasionaly watches the show asked me last night why that Derek guy always gets such accomplished partners. (And BTW, she really does't like Nicole's attitude.)
    I've often felt Anna has been one of the more under appreciated pros on this show. Pre-season, before it was announced what pros were returning, I thought for sure she'd be the first one on the chopping block. She came in at the show's height in popularity, and when the Hough/Ballas clan were the new America's sweethearts, and when everyone else had pretty much been on the show steadily since at least season 2, so they had a chance to build up fanbases on their own. I'm not sure if the rumor about Kym wanting more money was true or not, but at least she's been back for pro dances, so it's not like she's blackballed. She's really the only female pro I've missed and want back (I take back what I said about Karina returning) so I hope to see her in the fall. On the subject of freestyles, Kym provided one of my all time favorites, hers and Joey Fatone's in season 4. Cheryl's really dropped the ball on choreography. I thought the sky would be the limit in season 8 with Gilles and I still can't believe what a dud of a freestyle she turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;3909594;
    I managed to score some great tickets to Star on Ice tonight but I had to work so I sent my wife and kid (the one in my avatar with me). Kid texted me at intermission that there are several DWtS cast members around them. She said Louis, Chelsea and Buzz are sitting near them. My wife called at intermission and said the kids are going to try and meet the cast members there tonight. Why do I always have to work

Wow! What fun for your wife and daughter. Bummer that you didn't get to go. How nice that the cast members came to see Evan. Buzz seems to be getting around, lol. He is there almost every week for the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;3909715;
    Wow! What fun for your wife and daughter. Bummer that you didn't get to go. How nice that the cast members came to see Evan. Buzz seems to be getting around, lol. He is there almost every week for the shows.
    Evidently they saw other cast members as well. In addition to the previously mentioned cast members Alec and Edyta were there along with Mark Ballas, Dmitri, and Kate Gosslin. The kids got to meet Buzz and he took a picture with them. From what they said he is a very gracious man.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;3909769;
    Evidently they saw other cast members as well. In addition to the previously mentioned cast members Alec and Edyta were there along with Mark Ballas, Dmitri, and Kate Gosslin. The kids got to meet Buzz and he took a picture with them. From what they said he is a very gracious man.
    Hmmmm...Kate Gosselin was there watching Evan? How odd for a poor, struggling, single mom from P.A. who hates to be away from her kids.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3909790;
    Hmmmm...Kate Gosselin was there watching Evan? How odd for a poor, struggling, single mom from P.A. who hates to be away from her kids.
    She's probably in town, learning how to fly, for the finale.

+ Reply to Thread