+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

I think this is going to be a great dance for them! But I loved their samba, so if it looks anywhere as good, the judges will probably hate it Evan got high marks for his regular tango.

I get that they don't want to make it appear 'too easy' for Evan, since our former Olympic athletes are like, what, 3 for 3 in terms of wins. Frankly I think Nicole will beat Evan simply because last season's winner was Donny Osmond and they will want a girl to win this time. So I will expect the criticism of Evan to become more, not less, severe in the coming weeks. Both he and Nicole have unfair advantage based on their prior dancing and performance experience anyway--if they don't want the experience gap to be so wide between the contestants, they need to stop casting former Olympians and concert dancers!
    We've had more Olympic athletes lose than win this competition, and the 3 that did are the 3 that were the best on this show (and now Evan would make 4). Evan and Nicole are the top 2 and it appears every week each are being held to a different standard. At times I feel like they're out for Evan to try and keep Nicole in the lead. He has yet to get a 10 when he should have gotten at least 1 by now the way they've been scoring. Nicole at her worst with the judges and breaking the rules has still gotten better scores and less of a tongue lashing than Evan got. I'm sure the judges justify it as saying they are doing it for his own good. I think they're going to try and turn Nicole into a 'surprise' win in the end. I wish I was as confident as everyone about Evan winning, but I think it's becoming Nicole's to lose if the show has it their way.

I doubt Evan would want the pity and if he was the type could carry on about his injuries and whine that he deserves better. But he's not that type. Even though DWTS is a cheeky little show where the prize is a mirrorball, a whole lotta cash, and for some their foot back in the door to bigger opporunities, I can see why people do take it seriously and don't want to lose. Athletes especially have done very well on this show; next to Olympians our guys from NFL have racked up really impressive finishes. Last season and the first season are the only ones to not have at least 1 athlete in the finals. I agree with Pandora that there's a reason why they do so well and seem to take this show so much more seriously than others might.

At this point, I'm pulling for Evan over Nicole in the ringer category; Erin over Nicole for a female winner.

Not only is Evan a gorgeous dancer (his port-a-bras is outstanding), but his personality displays discipline, determination, commitment, concern, sweetness, and graciousness. He has never dissed the judges or any contestant. He's supportive to the nth degree. There's no diva aspect to him whatsoever.

While Nicole possesses the same work ethic, her personality, though at times humorous, is a bit too much for my taste. I acknowledge her tremendous dancing and performance abilities, but I’d compare her to MelB and Mya. She’s too good already for this show. CA said as much this week, that, in essence, she’s trying to find faults with her since the show is about growth. That statement, to me, is the reason she cannot win.

What’s the ratio of male champions to female champions over the past 9 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3889462;

What’s the ratio of male champions to female champions over the past 9 seasons?
    We've had 5 male winners and 4 female winners.

Male winners were:
    Drew Lachey w/ Cheryl Burke - season 2
    Emmit Smith w/ Cheryl Burke - season 3
    Apolo Anton Ono w/ Julianne Hough - season 4
    Helio Castroneves w/ Julianne Hough - season 5
    Donny Osmond w/ Kym Johnson - season 9

Female winners were:
    Kelly Monaco w/ Alec Mazo - season 1
    Kristi Yamaguchi w/ Mark Ballas - season 6
    Brooke Burke w/ Derek Hough - season 7
    Shawn Johnson w/ Mark Ballas - season 8

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;3889516;
    We've had 5 male winners and 4 female winners.

Male winners were:
    Drew Lachey w/ Cheryl Burke - season 2
    Emmit Smith w/ Cheryl Burke - season 3
    Apolo Anton Ono w/ Julianne Hough - season 4
    Helio Castroneves w/ Julianne Hough - season 5
    Donny Osmond w/ Kym Johnson - season 9

Female winners were:
    Kelly Monaco w/ Alec Mazo - season 1
    Kristi Yamaguchi w/ Mark Ballas - season 6
    Brooke Burke w/ Derek Hough - season 7
    Shawn Johnson w/ Mark Ballas - season 8

Thank you so much for this recap!

Wow, so it very well could be that they're pushing for a female champion to even the ratio out 5:5.

If that's the case, again, I'd prefer Erin to Nicole. Plus, Erin's story is a bit more compelling than Nicole's.

My dream F2 would be Evan and Erin. They both exemplify what this show is *supposed* to be about, that is, growth as a dancer.

This was the first week I cast votes for Evan as I didn't want to assume he had the fan votes to pull him through. It was upsetting last season when Natalie was eliminated as she showed great potential and seemed to have a very humble personality, much like Evan.

He is the epitome of grace, in his demeanor and his dancing and I imagine his skating (except for the clips I've seen on DWTS, I've never seen him skating).

The only negative thing I can say about the guy is that his hair looks like a toupee. Something about it when dry and even slicked back is not particularly flattering. If he chose to change it, the remedy would be fairly easy.

The scoring did seem "off" for Evan this past week. I'd much rather see him in the finals than Chad. His work ethic is quite admirable and except for one clip early on asking his hometown to vote for him, he doesn't seem to pimp his call-in number as much as some of his "castmates" do.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3889462;
    Not only is Evan a gorgeous dancer (his port-a-bras is outstanding), but his personality displays discipline, determination, commitment, concern, sweetness, and graciousness. He has never dissed the judges or any contestant. He's supportive to the nth degree. There's no diva aspect to him whatsoever.
    I rewatched the last show. When Tom announced Evan and Anna were safe, you could just see in his face he was sad for the other two. He didn't jump up and celebrate, he just took a step back and I think clapped just a little. This guy is the personification of graciousness!

FORT Fogey

As a HUGE Johnny Weir fan, I hope Evan goes next week. I've been crossing my fingers for him to go from day one! This guy is conceited and has the most limp personality of anyone ever!
    I'll be voting for Chad now. But After Chad goes, I will vote strategically to get this guy out! Whatever it takes to avenge my Johnny!

FORT Fanatic

I noticed that too Beachmom. There was no shrieking and jumping up and down. Evan was totally gracious to his fellow competitors who were still left there in jeopardy.

Evan and Anna have been a joy to watch and to me, he should be the winner.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3885331;

He earns my respect a lot more for taking on both at once. I don't think anyone, except maybe Donny, was as busy during the DWTS season as Evan has been. Erin is getting my votes now but if/when she's eliminated, Evan will be getting all mine, and hopefully all the way to the mirrorball.
    Evan isn't doing both at once. He's keeping all of his commitments with DWTS, but only about half of his commitments with Stars on Ice. Evan spends at least three entire days every week in Los Angeles. So he ends up missing about half of the ice skating shows.

I had been happily making elaborate preparations to see Evan skate. Why couldn't he wait a year so that skating fans could see him skate. What's the hurry?

I would have been impressed with Evan if he had waited a year to do DWTS, so that everyone who wanted to see him skate, would have the opportunity. I read about people who bought tickets just to see Evan skate. Then they found out Evan won't be at their show, and they can't get a refund. Tickets can cost as much as $150.

I think Evan could win. They might prefer a gold medalist to a former pussycat doll. But I don't cheer for Evan, I don't root him on, and I will never vote for him.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher;3890844;
    Evan isn't doing both at once. He's keeping all of his commitments with DWTS, but only about half of his commitments with Stars on Ice. Evan spends at least three entire days every week in Los Angeles. So he ends up missing about half of the ice skating shows.

I had been happily making elaborate preparations to see Evan skate. Why couldn't he wait a year so that skating fans could see him skate. What's the hurry?

I would have been impressed with Evan if he had waited a year to do DWTS, so that everyone who wanted to see him skate, would have the opportunity. I read about people who bought tickets just to see Evan skate. Then they found out Evan won't be at their show, and they can't get a refund. Tickets can cost as much as $150.

I think Evan could win. They might prefer a gold medalist to a former pussycat doll. But I don't cheer for Evan, I don't root him on, and I will never vote for him.
    The DWTS opportunity may not have come around again for Evan. He was hot off his Olympic win and a very well known figure. When the fall rolled around? DWTS might have passed him over for someone else. He might not have fit in with another cast as he had in the make-up of this one. Melissa Joan Hart was asked to do the 1st season but declined, then after seeing how big the show was, had been trying to get on ever since. Finally it happened last season, but she still might have gotten passed over had it not been a huge cast. You never know who the "big thing" will be. To say he's not doing both because he's missing skating shows, I'll agree to disagree on that. He is doing both, and because of it, is missing rehearsals for the team dance this week because of his skating schedule. And I'm sure it's more grueling for him and Anna to have to travel all over and him to have to take on both tasks. He's risking injury on the show for his skating, and in the skating for the show. That's a lot like the DWTS tour; they have a set group of pros and celebs but some of the "bigger" named celebs only appear at certain venues. No one really knows in advance who or when, so some people miss out on seeing who might have been their favorite. I'm enjoying him, and will be voting for him in hopes he wins in the end (since I'm realistic and realize Erin/Maks probably won't get to that point-right now I'm splitting my votes between the two couples). Anna doesn't get a shot every season at DWTS, and has never had a partner at the level of Evan. And she may never again. So I'm doing it for her more than him.

+ Reply to Thread