+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Re: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Am I the only one that finds when Evan extends his arms out while dancing it looks beautiful? Len commented that it was overkill and I disagreed.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3887827;
    You have a right to your opinion and you very well may be right. However, I stand by my statement that a judge (in this case, Len) should never complain about a pro's choreography (in this case, Derek), and downgrade the score because of it, only to have the other judges (CA and B) overcompensate by overscoring the dance.

The scoring was really wonky last night and I hope the wrong person doesn't go home because of it.
    are you just as passionate about Len handing out a 7 to Erin because of Maks' choreography??

and I agree with nanarama that it wasn't the dance/choreography but the fact that Evan danced like a skater last night.

I wasn't worried for Evan knowing he was standing next to Niecy - I figured he was only leaving if he had asked to because of his grueling schedule.
    Last edited by anders332; 04-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3887629;
    I agreed with the judges comments about his Samba, he just didn't seem to get the feel of the dance.
    This wouldn't generally be a criticism, but he was almost too elegant for the dance.
    I did think they got kicked out of the swing number too soon, but most of the couples did a pretty good job and the placings seemed slightly random.

It ws also Evan's bad luck of the draw to have to dance first . . . if the judges had seen some of the weaker dancers first, they might have been more kind. Going first is a lousy draw in skating and it seems to be the same here. So . . .Evan had a rough week: after sustaining a concussion on a stupid hot-dogging move that could have derailed his skating career, he perseveres and gives the most elegant dance of the night, to the delight and standing ovation of the crowd. Only to subsequently be reamed a new one by the judges for 'dancing it all wrong' and receive the same scores as the guy who tripped over the stairs? Boo to the judges on a couple of levels: 1. Because demoting Evan to 5th was so transparent. So, okay, the 'spirit of samba' might not have been there, but it was technically perfect and still a thing of beauty.' When you are derided for being 'too graceful' on the dance floor, it's a safe bet straws are being grasped for. It's like they all got together beforehand and agreed to concoct criticism of Evan because he was too far into the lead--the savageness of their criticism was way too over the top to be justified. By that standard, almost falling as Jake did made him the superior dancer. 2. All of them, particularly Len Goodman, have to give our celebs more leeway about not cleaving to perfect ballroom form. This is NOT the World Ballroom Championships and being so nitpicky over form is killing the joy of this show.

I get that they don't want to make it appear 'too easy' for Evan, since our former Olympic athletes are like, what, 3 for 3 in terms of wins. Frankly I think Nicole will beat Evan simply because last season's winner was Donny Osmond and they will want a girl to win this time. So I will expect the criticism of Evan to become more, not less, severe in the coming weeks. Both he and Nicole have unfair advantage based on their prior dancing and performance experience anyway--if they don't want the experience gap to be so wide between the contestants, they need to stop casting former Olympians and concert dancers!

Evan has a perfect figure for ballroom dance. Developing into a great Latin dancer will require more time than he's got on this show, but it's ridiculous to say he ever deserves to be 5th. He hasn't been fifth in anything since Turino when he skated with the flu!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2;3887501;
    Evan posted on his Twitter page last night that he couldn't sleep because he was so sad about the judge's scores. I hope he can pull it off in the final -- assuming he gets there. He is a class act and so much fun to watch.

I wonder if that isn't a bit of PR-meistering? I find it hard to believe that somebody who owns an Olympic gold medal would be so upset over one dance. After all, he still has his day job on Stars on Ice. I loved Evan's samba--thought he knocked it out of the park, and the whole studio audience did, too. I have never before (nor ever will again, I suspect) heard 'too much grace' cited as a fault in any kind of dancing. It was particularly cruel of the judges to gang up on him like that after he, consummate professional that he is, danced with a concussion and did so beautifully. He could have been severely injured doing that move and derailed his skating career all for this silly show that he's supposedly doing for a lark. It would have been nice to hear some acknowledgement of his injury from the judges--this is the same guy who's been dancing on broken toes from Week 2--now a concussion and they don't say a word.

I think maybe Evan is pouring too much of himself into this and treating this like an Olympic competition. I think DWTS needs Evan Lysacek more than he needs it . . .but champion that he is, he can't dial himself down and do anything by half-degrees. Maybe that's what it will take, though--to be a little more cool and disinterested in the dancing and the judges might reward it higher. Whatever. After that scoring debacle, I think all that comes from the judges' table is so much noise.

are you just as passionate about Len handing out a 7 to Erin because of Maks' choreography??
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3888672;
    I think maybe Evan is pouring too much of himself into this and treating this like an Olympic competition. I think DWTS needs Evan Lysacek more than he needs it . . .but champion that he is, he can't dial himself down and do anything by half-degrees. Maybe that's what it will take, though--to be a little more cool and disinterested in the dancing and the judges might reward it higher. Whatever. After that scoring debacle, I think all that comes from the judges' table is so much noise.
    I think this is the case; that he's just that intense about everything he does (even though he never says that out loud the way Kate always did). I think that's why the Olympic athletes do so well in this competition, they have a commitment to excellence that us mere mortals don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2;3888753;
    I think this is the case; that he's just that intense about everything he does (even though he never says that out loud the way Kate always did). I think that's why the Olympic athletes do so well in this competition, they have a commitment to excellence that us mere mortals don't.
    ITA. In addition, Olympians like Evan are in top physical condition. As was pointed out in the Dance Sport segment with Dmitry and Edyta, good dancers are superb athletes. Some contestants, like Erin, may look physically fit. That doesn't mean they have the strength or stamina of the true athlete. (This was shown quite clearly as Erin ran out of steam at the end of the dance off.) Finalists in Dance Sport challenges have to dance almost non stop for hour after hour. I believe Evan would have still been dancing strong at the end if he'd not been pulled and if he didn't have a concussion.

Anna has tweeted that her and Evan are practicing the Argentine Tango! I assume this is their individual dance, not the group dance. Can't wait to see Evan get into character for the AT with all of his beautiful long arms and legs!

FORT Fanatic

I think the AT will be a great dance for Evan and Anna and give them a chance to get back to the top of the leader board where they belong.

Am I allowed to post this? I love this photo that Evan tweeted awhile ago:

@evanlysacek and @atrebunskaya on the Flexjet plane to Manche... on Twitpic

+ Reply to Thread