+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

I think the problem with Jake will be that he can't emote. On the Bach, we saw two expressions -- the closed mouth cheesy grin and the open mouth, toothy cheesy grin. That's it. I can't imagine him being able to bring the heat and passion and SELLING IT like he needs to for the latin dances. He will probably be able to get through the waltz, etc. But I don't see him wiggling his behind in any kind of convincing way (don't even want to imagine it!) for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3848646;
    This is a big wink here, but Chelsie could be with our admirable Buzz Alrin. I suspect Jake moves for freely than Buzz!
    I wouldn't bet on that! Evan's already saying something like Buzz could bench press him, and Evan is not Mr. Munchkin.

Poor Chelsie... In that pic, she looks like she's headed off to the dentist for a root canal. I wouldn't have minded this stupid casting decision as much if he had been paired with Cheryl. She would've wiped the smirk off of his mug in five minutes flat!

When the cast was first announced, I thought it sucked. I really didn't like who was chosen for this season. But I've warmed up to the cast ever since... except Jake.

People complain that Kate isn't a "star," but I would argue that Kate is definitely a bona fide tabloid celebrity. It's Jake who I would argue isn't a "star." Personally, I don't watch The Bachelor. I stopped after Travis's season. I was thinking of getting into this season, since one of my teachers sort of knows Ali, but I decided to skip out. I've heard of him, yeah, but just because this guy was the most recent bachelor doesn't mean he ABC should call on him to participate on the most popular reality show with celebrities. I'm sure they could have found some other guy who would have been interested. Jake wasn't even that highly publicized about in the tabloids like Melissa was, with Jason's on-air dumping of her for Molly. So yeah, I'll just see how he does on the dancefloor, cause right now, he's at the bottom of my list.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I don't consider DWTS to be a "reality" show. It's an entertainment show. And it's not a true dance competition show, either. It's an entertainment show that casts a myriad of contestants, some from "reality" shows and most from whatever genre who are looking for publicity, some bucks, and/or a challenge. JMP.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3849696;
    I don't consider DWTS to be a "reality" show. It's an entertainment show. And it's not a true dance competition show, either. It's an entertainment show that casts a myriad of contestants, some from "reality" shows and most from whatever genre who are looking for publicity, some bucks, and/or a challenge. JMP.
    Yep, totally agree. That's the best definition for this show, and I like it because it is entertaining.

And I think it's fine that Jake was asked to do the show, and he accepted the invitation. As The Bachelor, he was the "star" of that show.....I mean, it's not called "Dancing with the Oscar Nominees" or anything. And I have to say that if I were presented with the opportunity to make some significant $$ (for me, that would mean anything over $20,000 ) to dance on TV and get a good workout on top of it, I would do it in a heartbeat! Who cares if people thought I wanted more limelight. I'd sock that $$ away or buy a house or invest it. So for Jake, it's probably a decision based on fun factor and income, and good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3849809;
    As The Bachelor, he was the "star" of that show.....I mean, it's not called "Dancing with the Oscar Nominees" or anything.
    I agree, he was the "star" of the show this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3849684;
    When the cast was first announced, I thought it sucked. I really didn't like who was chosen for this season. But I've warmed up to the cast ever since... except Jake.

People complain that Kate isn't a "star," but I would argue that Kate is definitely a bona fide tabloid celebrity. It's Jake who I would argue isn't a "star." Personally, I don't watch The Bachelor. I stopped after Travis's season. I was thinking of getting into this season, since one of my teachers sort of knows Ali, but I decided to skip out. I've heard of him, yeah, but just because this guy was the most recent bachelor doesn't mean he ABC should call on him to participate on the most popular reality show with celebrities. I'm sure they could have found some other guy who would have been interested. Jake wasn't even that highly publicized about in the tabloids like Melissa was, with Jason's on-air dumping of her for Molly. So yeah, I'll just see how he does on the dancefloor, cause right now, he's at the bottom of my list.
    I think Jake has been on the cover of US Weekly for a few consecutive weeks now. Just today alone, I was at Costco and he was on the cover of People, US Weekly and OK...and Costco doesn't have a large selection of magazines to begin with. I saw his picture was also on the the cover of Star magazine.

Yeah, but Us, People, Star and OK are the normal outlets for Bachelor stories. The Jason/Melissa/Molly drama spilled over into mainstream news/media outlets for a time, especially with Melissa joining DWTS so soon after it happened.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I think the problem with Jake (and I don't blame him one bit for jumping on the DWTS opportunity to make a lot of $$$) is that other than his good looks, what else is exceptional about him or is there to recommend him? Yes, he presented himself as a nice, chivalrous guy with old fashioned values, although his behavior and choices on TB is leaving many to question just how legitimate that presentation was. Otherwise, he is not particularly intelligent, educated, successful, charismatic, funny, talented, or anything else. There isn't even anything unique about him, like Kate Gosselin having 8 kids. I think ABC incorrectly attributes TB season's high ratings to Jake's popularity, which they hope to leverage now on DWTS (much like they did with Melissa), but I will be really surprised if he has enough of a following on his own to overcome bad scores. I just hope the judges don't try to prop him up in an attempt to keep him on the show longer, per ABC's instructions.

How far ahead do they start casting for the season?? Likely after the Bachelor started airing and the ratings were good?? I figure MF had a hand in getting him the gig. but I don't have any illusions of grandeur that he will last past the half-way mark - if that long. Those that would vote to keep him would be fans of his during the Bachelorette and The Bachelor - and I don't know how many fans he has left after this past season. He stock went way down after picking the girl with the lousiest of edits evah!!
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

OK I have to disagree and think that reality personalities is stretching the Stars part of Dancing with the Stars just a tad bit. I do not mind seeing them too much, but of all the bachelors this is the guy they choose, the one with the least charisma ever. How about Andy or how about have gotten Molly and Jason to have done it together now that they are married and their wedding is televised right around the announcement time. This guy just has no draw for me to want to see him.

+ Reply to Thread