+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

In terms of song selection, last I had heard, the pros are all allowed to select up to 100 different songs that they want to dance to. Of course nearly half are taken out since the show can't get permission to use them (which may explain why we're getting so many repeats of songs from seasons past). Edyta said she quit requesting songs, because the songs she requested went to other couples. So even if they request a certain song, it doesn't mean they'll get it. Derek could have asked for something 50s style, but got Rihanna instead. And no, they don't get their music right away.

If Nicole wasn't with Derek I'd be inclined to believe it might be a more even playing field. But because he's like King Midas to the judges, I just believe that they won't care when Nicole screws up, when she has lifts, if he has gimmicks in the dance, if the routines aren't any better 3 weeks into the competition. Her dance last night seemed awkward in the movements. She does take away what this show really was designed for-someone coming in and learning to dance, not a dancer learning to dance. Lil Kim wasn't always scoring as high with the public, which many believed is why the judges overscored her on dances. I doubt Nicole is any danger right now, but the scores could easily reflect that they're trying to balance the lack of votes they're getting.

I wouldn't have given them 10s for their jive, but I would have given a 9. It was simply that good, especially given the problems with having to adapt the choreography to the new music.

If the judges are overscoring to counter fan voting, I say good for them. If the best dancers leave in week 1 or 2, then there's no point in doing the show. Frankly I think there should be less weight given to fan votes, because of the internet. Fans of certain celebs vote like packs of wolves, even if their star is the worst dancer in history *coughKatecough*. I should HOPE that the show accounts for things like this, otherwise the dancers might as well just sit in the pit and wave at the camera, and make pleas for sympathy to get votes.

I think between Nicole, Evan, Chad, Erin, and even Pamela and Niecy, it is an even playing field. And this season has a long way to go.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3866274;
    I wouldn't have given them 10s for their jive, but I would have given a 9. It was simply that good, especially given the problems with having to adapt the choreography to the new music.

If the judges are overscoring to counter fan voting, I say good for them. If the best dancers leave in week 1 or 2, then there's no point in doing the show. Frankly I think there should be less weight given to fan votes, because of the internet. Fans of certain celebs vote like packs of wolves, even if their star is the worst dancer in history *coughKatecough*. I should HOPE that the show accounts for things like this, otherwise the dancers might as well just sit in the pit and wave at the camera, and make pleas for sympathy to get votes.

I think between Nicole, Evan, Chad, Erin, and even Pamela and Niecy, it is an even playing field. And this season has a long way to go.
    Well, now, you see I would have liked to have seen what Derek would have done with KATE.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I like Nicole. But I fear she will be the victim of a backlash like Sabrina. She'll get voted off too early because of her past dance experience.

Nicole can really tear up a dance floor. A joy to watch. Derek is still such a poser, though!
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3866316;
    I like Nicole. But I fear she will be the victim of a backlash like Sabrina. She'll get voted off too early because of her past dance experience.

Nicole can really tear up a dance floor. A joy to watch. Derek is still such a poser, though!

IMO Sabrina was a sweetheart and an excellent dancer. I was so sad to see her go that season. It was such a shock.

Nicole seems very stuck up and has an attitude about how good she is. If she is voted out I think it has more to do with that then how good she is as a dancer. JMO
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3866274;

However, what if that was their reasoning behind giving Kate 3 5's? To balance out any lack of fan votes she had. I think it can work both ways. Granted, I think it was more to not completely embarrass her anymore than she already was to give her extremely low scores. I'm actually the opposite, as I'd prefer them to do away with the judges votes or not make them count as much. I don't think they're consistent or, at times, fair with how or why they vote. This season does have a long way to go; you're right. And since I already think Nicole has no room to improve, as she's already there, that may work against her as the others still have that growth arc. Plus, Chad I think may be the most popular contestant this season. However, I'd stop short of saying that Nicole is on the same level as everyone else. She's above all of them dance wise. A good thing about this season, and what I hope becomes a future trend, is the only worse dancers are Buzz and Kate. Usually half the season if filled with clod hoppers like them. So I am glad that, aside from those 2 and Nicole, everyone else is really almost together. Oh, and Evan, but the judges are screwing with his scores.

I guess it comes down to what you like to see. I like what the show was intended for, to see people like Pamela, Niecy, Erin, and Chad who have no obviouse experience and, if they make it to the end, are probably going to look extremely impressive. I just don't get that same joy out of watching Nicole.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3866364;
    However, what if that was their reasoning behind giving Kate 3 5's? To balance out any lack of fan votes she had. I think it can work both ways. Granted, I think it was more to not completely embarrass her anymore than she already was to give her extremely low scores. I'm actually the opposite, as I'd prefer them to do away with the judges votes or not make them count as much. I don't think they're consistent or, at times, fair with how or why they vote. This season does have a long way to go; you're right. And since I already think Nicole has no room to improve, as she's already there, that may work against her as the others still have that growth arc. Plus, Chad I think may be the most popular contestant this season. However, I'd stop short of saying that Nicole is on the same level as everyone else. She's above all of them dance wise. A good thing about this season, and what I hope becomes a future trend, is the only worse dancers are Buzz and Kate. Usually half the season if filled with clod hoppers like them. So I am glad that, aside from those 2 and Nicole, everyone else is really almost together. Oh, and Evan, but the judges are screwing with his scores.

I guess it comes down to what you like to see. I like what the show was intended for, to see people like Pamela, Niecy, Erin, and Chad who have no obviouse experience and, if they make it to the end, are probably going to look extremely impressive. I just don't get that same joy out of watching Nicole.
    Re: the bolded part: Do you realize that Kate would win the season if this happened? What would be the point of the show? The viewers can't be trusted to take the actual dancing into account. And the show, while being a light piece of fluff in the big picture, has to have a point, and some integrity when it comes to representing ballroom dancing.

It's a show that takes people who have never done ballroom for a living or as a hobby, to see who can become the best ballroom dancer. Mya came to the show with some dance experience, but so did Donny, and it sure was subjective when we all decided who the ringer was last year.

How many of us knew thing one about ballroom dancing before the show began? If it weren't for Len and Bruno (and once every several weeks, C-A) and the pros, we wouldn't know how to tell a good ballroom routine from a bad one. We're all able to talk the lingo because we watch the show, but while the judges certainly have inconsistent moments, I trust their judgment a lot more than mine, and I vote for my favorites among those who can actually get through a routine properly.

If this just becomes a popularity contest, then there's no incentive for the stars to improve, and there goes the point of the show. I like that Nicole didn't want to do modern steps in her jive, she wanted to do a traditional jive, so that she could step outside her comfort zone and learn something new.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

This show has always been a popularity contest, but at least the judges scores don't make it so blatant.

The stars who do this show (or at least most of them) do it because they want to do it and do well, I dont' think anyone goes on this show thinking they have a huge fan base and won’t put in the effort – afterall, most of them are professionals and require that of themselves no matter what they do.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I was talking to my mom about the show the other night and she commented on the girl in the silver outfit and how good she was. I was trying to figure out who she was talking about and she said she wasn't sure if it was a pro or a celebrity. I realized it was Nicole. My mom isn't a pro, but she's also watched a lot of dancing - professional and amateur (mine) in her life - and for her to not be able to absolutely tell that Nicole wasn't a pro in the second week of competition is pretty bad.

I spent at least a dozen years in dance classes - ballet, tap, jazz, modern, etc. - and, if I was a celebrity, I would probably be called a ringer, even though I've never done any kind of ballroom. As far as I'm concerned, Nicole is even more of a ringer than Mya was. None of the other stars - including Evan - seems to be having as easy a time learning and performing this stuff as Nicole is. Beyond perfecting the dance, I don't see that she's having to struggle at all. For me, that's just not what this show is about.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3868979;
    I was talking to my mom about the show the other night and she commented on the girl in the silver outfit and how good she was. I was trying to figure out who she was talking about and she said she wasn't sure if it was a pro or a celebrity. I realized it was Nicole. My mom isn't a pro, but she's also watched a lot of dancing - professional and amateur (mine) in her life - and for her to not be able to absolutely tell that Nicole wasn't a pro in the second week of competition is pretty bad.

I spent at least a dozen years in dance classes - ballet, tap, jazz, modern, etc. - and, if I was a celebrity, I would probably be called a ringer, even though I've never done any kind of ballroom. As far as I'm concerned, Nicole is even more of a ringer than Mya was. None of the other stars - including Evan - seems to be having as easy a time learning and performing this stuff as Nicole is. Beyond perfecting the dance, I don't see that she's having to struggle at all. For me, that's just not what this show is about.
    Critical,

Thanks for your thoughtful post.
    Well stated.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread