+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3862860;
    I can. As a matter of fact I'll FB a friend who went there also. Get his view. I do know that they have to take general courses also at the "sister" school. I'll see what I can find out.
    So, I did FB a friend and I also sent an email to YPAS. This is the response I got from YPAS.....

"Students that are accepted into the Youth Performing Arts School will declare a major - specializing in a particular arts genre - we have majors in Instrumental Music (woodwind, brass, percussion, strings), Vocal Music, Piano, Theatre, Dance, Technical Theatre Design and Production, and Musical Theatre. Students may choose electives in other performing arts areas if they audition and are accepted into the class - they also take all of their pre-college curriculum at duPont Manual High School (English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Health, PE, Humanities, etc.). Manual has 27 Advanced Placement Courses - more than any school in the state of Kentucky, the Advanced Program, and the Honors Program."

My friend said that when he was there you mostly took your "major" courses but almost everyone took other genre courses as well. It gave them an advantage to do it that way. He said almost all the vocal students also took a lot of courses in dance, theatre, and musical theatre.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3863482;
    So, I did FB a friend and I also sent an email to YPAS. This is the response I got from YPAS.....

"Students that are accepted into the Youth Performing Arts School will declare a major - specializing in a particular arts genre - we have majors in Instrumental Music (woodwind, brass, percussion, strings), Vocal Music, Piano, Theatre, Dance, Technical Theatre Design and Production, and Musical Theatre. Students may choose electives in other performing arts areas if they audition and are accepted into the class - they also take all of their pre-college curriculum at duPont Manual High School (English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Health, PE, Humanities, etc.). Manual has 27 Advanced Placement Courses - more than any school in the state of Kentucky, the Advanced Program, and the Honors Program."

My friend said that when he was there you mostly took your "major" courses but almost everyone took other genre courses as well. It gave them an advantage to do it that way. He said almost all the vocal students also took a lot of courses in dance, theatre, and musical theatre.

That really only makes sense, especially in today's market.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3863491;
    That really only makes sense, especially in today's market.
    That is what he said. He said it is so tough out there in the entertainment world so kids that are in the program will spend all the time they can taking extra courses to get the extra experience, class, etc.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3863164;
    Many,many moons ago I grew up dancing - tap, ballet, modern jazz. I even took a couple of ballet classes in college. At the time, while it might not have been a cake walk to have gone in and conquered ballroom dancing, I can honestly tell you that it would have been much easier for me than it is for those people with no dance experience.

"Pull your bum in" was referred to as "Tuck your rear in" and it meant a certain way that the rear muscles are tightened so that the rear pulls in and appears to tuck under.

I knew how to arch my back so that shoulders were straight, and I carried myself well - with the air of a dancer. (carriage) When the foot was lifted, it was arched and the toe pointed down.

Arms were worked on repeatedly so that they appeared light and fluid instead of heavy.
    Hands were rounded instead of fingers sticking out straight.

This could go on and on. With jazz, the idea was to become loose and limber with hips that swizzled while the top of the body stayed still.

There is a tremendous, tremendous advantage especially to someone who has had modern dance training because that person has gotten some of all what I have been describing.
    That is what happened with Mya last season. I could spot her advantage almost immediately.
    ...Yep, and therein lies the A-HA that Nicole is the ringer for this season. Puhleeze. It might be nice to watch her dance so beautifully, but she's got a huge advantage over the others. And while I agree that Derek is a talented choreographer, I would like to see how good an instructor he'd be to someone without all this previous training and dance/performance experience.

it doesnt matter if she has background dancing cause he has kim like last season or the season before and they didnt make it to the finals or even to the semi finals.So it matters what fans vote also voting also choregraphy of derek as well.Nicole also it her first dance and she did awesome so let see how she does with the jive cause it about ballroom dancing and latine dances as well

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I predict at least 1 10, possibly 2, and who knows, Len doesn't often go sour on Derek so unless he's been told to hold back and not make her the obvious front runner that she is, Derek could get a perfect 30 tomorrow. Which I think would be the earliest in a season anyone's ever gotten one (unless Kristi Y. beat them there).

The one thing about Nicole is, like Mya and Sabrina, she's got nowhere to grow like the other couples. And at least online, there are a lot of people who are tired of Derek always doing well and always lucking out. I keep saying, if they thought he was that good of a choreographer or that he could make it on his own without the judges propping him up, they'd give him a harder partner to train. Even Cheryl's paid her dues and at times has gotten people more unknown than Joanna Krupa. And I'm not dissing Derek as a dancer; he's definitely among the best on the show. It's hard not to look at him when he's dancing. Choreography wise, though, I think a lot of pros maybe need a break. Derek's routines last season weren't really all that memorable, at least to me.

Of course I start to look at the first episode and not to my surprise Derek has not only the pretty girl but also the one with the most experience. This is the case nearly every year and it makes me sick.

We've seen one dance. One dance. And frankly, it was far from perfect, I thought she was a little stiff. I'm going to wait until I actually get a clear idea of her skills before I start joining in the "ringer" talk.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think I'd like Nicole better if she was paired up with anyone but Derek (or Mark). At least the others have earned the dancer. I called it, Derek got 2 10s from CA and Bruno and Len, thank God, held back. Derek's doing good so far about holding back on the hamming it up. Let's see if they get the sexy Latin routine next week and get another 2 10s. What was with Len not uttering a peep about Derek "messing about" in the beginning of his jive? Aiden jumping off the stage and Edyta wearing a coat was more distracting? SOS isn't a bad jive song at all, at least not for this show. Since Maks already had that song in season 3 makes me wonder if he was rolling his eyes at Nicole flipping out over having to dance to it.

I hope Derek and the ringer are a surprise elimination. Not so much because of her, but I'm tired of the Hough butt kissing, bias, and favoritism he gets on top of him being held to a completely different level. Bruno's comments the last two weeks makes me think there's two groups: Derek/Nicole ad then everyone else. As for their dance, I thought it was boring. Evan's jive was a lot more fun and better. Maybe they're afraid he'll pose a threat to their golden one. But Nicole is definitely an accomplished dancer.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-30-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Nicole reminds me of Kim K. Not so much in the way they dance, but thier overall attitude like they deserve to be there because they are pretty and famous. Nicole is a Pussy Cat Doll and they sing and dance. There were a lot more dances tonight that I liked and this jive was pretty boring.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

+ Reply to Thread