+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

I happen to like Derek.
    I do understand, though, why some don't.
    I think, however, that Derek gets better partners often times because he is 1 of the best dancers /choreographers on the show.
    And, I certainly like Derek a lot more than Mark. I'm not overly enamored of Mark or his father.

I'm thinking, too, that Derek may not always be so lucky with his partners.
    There was a lot of negativity toward the Krupa lady when she was on. Lots of us didn't care for her. I sure thought she was highly overrated.
    I think those of us who have heard briefly of Nicole may have already formed an image of her and it may not be a positive one.
    So, perhaps, in addition to getting some of the "better" dancers, perhaps they also give Derek some of those in need of a popular and well liked partner.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3856847;
    I happen to like Derek.
    I think, however, that Derek gets better partners often times because he is 1 of the best dancers /choreographers on the show.
    And, I certainly like Derek a lot more than Mark. I'm not overly enamored of Mark or his father.

There was a lot of negativity toward the Krupa lady when she was on. Lots of us didn't care for her. I sure thought she was highly overrated.
    I think those of us who have heard briefly of Nicole may have already formed an image of her and it may not be a positive one.
    So, perhaps, in addition to getting some of the "better" dancers, perhaps they also give Derek some of those in need of a popular and well liked partner.
    He gets partners with physical appeal. People made fun of Joanna's over done lips, but she had a pretty face and a beautiful body. Lil Kim had an image and reputation problem, but she oozed sex appeal when she danced. I don't know his current partner, but I just watched some E clips where the couples are practicing and then they come out separately to leave. Nicole is very pretty.

I think if they have some ability and they have physical appeal, Derek has the ability to take them a long way. This is still a testimony to his ability, but it doesn't test him in the same way as he would be tested if he had a star who was definitely overweight, klutzy, and/or suffering from emotional self -image issues, etc.
    That is what I am waiting and want to see in Derek.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3856847;
    I happen to like Derek.

I agree with you. Derek has paid his dues! I think that the producers have given him difficult material to work with. The last two seasons he got what on paper should have been a couple of duds. Just because he was able to make decent showings out of what he was given he is being vilified here. Remember, the only time he made the final three was with Brooke - with whom he won.

Take Joanna Krupa - how many other "supermodel" contestants have even made it past the 3rd round (I don't count Brooke as a supermodel because she made her living as a TV host)? She also had a ton of negative publicity coming off the "Superstars" competition and a reputation for being a diva that the team had to get past. Not only did Derek make her look good on the dance floor, but she came across as a genuine person on the show.

In the case of Lil' Kim he also maximized her assets to show off the fun side of her personality. In the end they didn't make the finals, but they came darn close. Lil' Kim had the baggage of being an ex-con which is not exactly the pedigree one would expect to do well going up against the reigning Olympics gymnastic queen. Her fan base wasn't exactly in the mainstream demographic of the show either. Somehow she and Derek got her reputation turned around and they did well together.

Derek also seems to get along well with the rest of the dancers. In my opinion his only drawback is the camera mugging. I am hoping that with a little maturity that aspect of his personality will be brought into check. In the last two seasons he didn't hog the microphone as much as he did with Brooke, so I see this as progress in the right direction.

Derek is an asset to the show. I would hate to see him leave. I just wish Julianne would come back as well.

FORT Fogey

If he is so good, than give him a Susan Lucci or Jane Seymour and let him make them look like a dancer. I would not have a problem with him if he had his turn at the older nondancer once in awhile. He gets someone that realistically has a chance every season. Tony gets the ones that have no shot even before they step on the dance floor.

I remember the first season of the show. None of the people could dance, and it was more about whom you enjoyed. Now they have dancers and choreographers and a lot of previous dancers on the show. I liked it better when everyone was more on an even scale.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3857693;
    If he is so good, than give him a Susan Lucci or Jane Seymour and let him make them look like a dancer. I would not have a problem with him if he had his turn at the older nondancer once in awhile. He gets someone that realistically has a chance every season. Tony gets the ones that have no shot even before they step on the dance floor.
    Precisely! Derek is an extremely talented dancer, no argument there. But his ego outweighs his talent. I'd like to see him do what Louis did with Kelly last season, or what Maks did with Leila Ali, who started out a little clumsy but became delightful to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I like Derek. I think he does a good job teaching and is warm to his partners. I wished last season that he had gotten the girl who was the athlete who went out early (what was her name?). She could have went far with him as a partner. I've never heard of Nicole, but it looks like she is already a dancer. I hate when people come in with previous dance experience. I like to see them learning on a level playing field. But, because I like Derek, I will be cheering them on!

As for being a ham - yes, he is! I think it's funny. He's like the annoying little brother who shows off for the camera and steals the show.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3857693;

I remember the first season of the show. None of the people could dance, and it was more about whom you enjoyed. Now they have dancers and choreographers and a lot of previous dancers on the show. I liked it better when everyone was more on an even scale.
    Or Monica Seles, Belinda Carlise, Macy Gray, Heather Mills, Denise Richards, Kate Gosselin, Cloris Leachman-someone the judges can't just overlook their faults. Sorry, but everyone's paid their dues on this show except Derek. I don't think anyone was expecting Lil Kim to be a dud, and obviously she could move. Same with Joanna. People thought she would have a tough time living down her Superstars reputation (which came out after she was eliminated) or being a no name, but put her with a pro that is untouchable to the judges and they took care of it. If he could turn someone like Macy or Denise into a Ginger Rogers by the end of the season, then I'll say he'd paid his dues. Why couldn't they have given him Shannen, Niecy, or Pamela, who I think all would have fit his height? He can't dress them in the same outfits as Brooke and choreograph the same routines where they ooze sex appeal and the judges soak it up. I think Derek's held to a different standard on this show. And now he gets a ringer, which really isn't a shock. I feel like the show is on a quest to get him his second mirrorball trophy so he can be in the same camp with his sister and BFF. It was nice last season seeing a true celebration rather than a Hough/Ballas pat on the back fest when they won.

I did like the show, probably before the Derek/Mark joined more, because it was more about the dancing, less about gimmicks, less bias from the judges, more people were on equal footing and had a chance (give or take a Tucker Carlson and Kenny Mayne). Now? Jonathan is almost always issued a dud. Same with Tony. As soon as Kate was announced being on the show, pretty much everyone knew she'd probably get Tony and that Derek would get Nicole. The judges act like he's actually teaching her something. She's a dancer. Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll be more hip hop like Sabrina Bryan or Mel B and have faults they can't over look. But the show is at a point now where it is more about keeping the characters around, and the ones they figure the audience wants to see. I don't know what's so special about Derek. He is a good dancer, but that's where it ends for me. I'd just like to see other pros get the same consideration as him. Even Julianne and Mark have had to pay dues at some point. Chelsie hasn't really had a partner with winnable potential since she started (and I know she had decent finishes with Ty and Louie-but she wasn't going to win with them). Derek always gets the pretty young thing that can move or that he can dance around. Cheryl's really the only pro I'd argue has had to take on challenges and gotten her partner to the end.

Everyone's already predicting a final 2 of Evan and Nicole-so why not give Derek his trophy now, spare us Kate, and we'll be back in the fall. I am hopeful that some of the other couples wind up surprising us, and that the judges don't knock them for not bringing it every week or not upping their ante if they don't to Nicole, and that there may be a surprise ending this season. I'm hoping Maks, Anna, or Edyta get it. They're the oldies who haven't won yet. And, since they're typically screwed over in the partner match ups, have their best shots this season to do it.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-18-2010 at 10:24 PM.

I honestly don't think Nicole will last...she's already a talented dancer, i thought DWTS were trying to avoid getting people who were already talented in the area...

And like it was said before, PCD, or should I say, the current incarnation of PCD is demolished, and nobody heard of their break up mostly because Nicole is PCD, and nobody really knows the other girls. Carmit was the first to leave on her own. Jessica was injured during a performance and she was basically kicked out right then and there. Kimberly and Ashley left soon after as well. Apparently though, Robin Antin is still gonna continue the PCD brand and reform the group, maybe with another reality tv show? lol but yeah...awful story, i use to admire the group so much too...

FORT Fogey

Before Eden's Crush, I remember seeing Nicole on campus at my university, and thought she was stunning. When I watched Eden's Crush, I couldn't believe it was her - not because she isn't talented b/c I think she is, but just b/c it was strange to see someone I had seen in "real life," on a tv show. (This was before the zillions of reality shows on tv. It's almost blasť now days, if you see someone you "know" on tv!) She was a dance, voice, and theatre major in college, and supposedly a really nice person. She's definitely gorgeous. I remember thinking she seemed really down to earth during the Eden's Crush show.

Nicole was one of the judges this past winter on the accapela group sing off show. She started off doing good, but seemed to 'Paula Abdul' it after a couple of shows. I don't know if she's naturally ditzy or whattt.... But it makes me wonder how well she'll do on this show. I really liked her personality on the show, but she did seem to have that Paula Abdul oddly zany factor going on.

Put me in the group who loves Derick! I also love Mark and even Corky. All three have such imaginative choreographys that it's fun to watch.

+ Reply to Thread