+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

I can't guess the venue, but I suspect we'll see a collaborative effort from these two post-DWTS. Now that's a rehearsal package I'd definitely like to watch.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan2;3901206;
    I feel the same difference, MFWalkoff! He is one of my very favorite pros because of his incredible dance performances and stunning choreography. A majority of the time, it is his routine that is the highlight of the night for me.

I also don't get how he, Mark and Julianne are equated. If Anna wins with Evan, will that also be counted for Maks and Edyta, because they're also Russian and part of the older group? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I just hope D/N make it to the finals. I will feel severely deprived if I don't get to see their freestyle! I would certainly be happy for them if they win, although I would also be happy for A/E or M/E as well. I feel that each of those couples deserve to win for different reasons.
    I'll think you'll get your wish, and if there is anything sort of truth to them wanting to even out the number of male/female winners, they'll probably want to even out the ration of athletes/non athlete winners as well (so far, we've had 5 athletes-3 being Olympians-win this show), compared to an actress, a singer, whatever Brooke is classified as, and a performer. I think for those of us who don't like the trio/triplets (as I've seen them referred to) is the way the show seems to favor them over everyone else. I'm noticing more and more that it's all Derek compared to the other two. If you're a fan, I guess you won't see it. But he always lucks out with his partners. He can do no wrong in the judges eyes. He and his partners always seem to get some sort of advantage, whether it be a particular dance style they get, getting away with breaking the rules or doing a non-dance and still getting 10s, typically going last, and it seems like other dancers suffer as a result. If CA and Bruno weren't so love struck, maybe I'd feel differently. But why is it he's gotten the partners he's had since his first season, yet Jonathan got 3 guaranteed first ousters, or Louis gets people he has to work on, and Tony gets stuck with the queen diva herself? Not only that, I'm just tired of his personality. I'm all for being happy if he wants to celebrate winning, but he and Mark make it about themselves. After he won season 7, Mark and Corky ran right to Derek and hoisted him up, leaving Brooke standing down below. His camera mugging is somewhat toned down this season, but that still bugs. He's done gimmicks and gotten away with it when other couples were called out. Let's just say, I'm curious if Nicole would have still gotten a 9 for her non-quick step if she had someone else. Just like I wonder if Joanna would have gotten all the praise heaped on her with a different partner.

I do see a lot of what you are talking about, Karalott, and I really hate it too.
    I think the 50's PD deserved the trip tens, but that's about the only time I think they haven't been overscored. It ticks me off when they get overscored and overpraised for a number of reasons. It's not fair to the others and it's not fair to them, either. They certainly provide performances that are fantastic enough to stand on their own merit. I LOVED that Broadway non QS, for example; hated the scores. I agree they should take their lumps along with the others. I think they are losing fans due to the neg edit they're getting and the judges' favoritism is part of that neg edit.

I do sympathize with the pros whenever they have to work with a clunker. The whole format of the show makes for unfairness. But I do have my favorite pros. As a viewer, I would choose to have Derek, Maks and Dmitry have great partners so they could last to the end every single time. I don't get irritated with personalities because I just watch the dances.

I realize different viewers watch for different reasons. Some of us vote for the quality of the dance, others vote for growth, others vote as fans of the celeb regardless of dance performance. I guess that is what makes the outcome unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3901273;
    I'll think you'll get your wish, and if there is anything sort of truth to them wanting to even out the number of male/female winners, they'll probably want to even out the ration of athletes/non athlete winners as well (so far, we've had 5 athletes-3 being Olympians-win this show), compared to an actress, a singer, whatever Brooke is classified as, and a performer. I think for those of us who don't like the trio/triplets (as I've seen them referred to) is the way the show seems to favor them over everyone else. I'm noticing more and more that it's all Derek compared to the other two. If you're a fan, I guess you won't see it. But he always lucks out with his partners. He can do no wrong in the judges eyes. He and his partners always seem to get some sort of advantage, whether it be a particular dance style they get, getting away with breaking the rules or doing a non-dance and still getting 10s, typically going last, and it seems like other dancers suffer as a result. If CA and Bruno weren't so love struck, maybe I'd feel differently. But why is it he's gotten the partners he's had since his first season, yet Jonathan got 3 guaranteed first ousters, or Louis gets people he has to work on, and Tony gets stuck with the queen diva herself?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the trio hasn't existed for 2 seasons. There's talk of Julianne returning, but I would really be surprised to see that, unless her singing career has totally tanked (I don't follow it so I don't know).

And the "advantages" Derek has gotten with his partners have come with huge disadvantages too -- the stars haven't been well-known to America, and as a result it's been easy to write them off as either ringers or bitches, usually when it wasn't completely true. And that is why Derek hasn't been in a final in ages, no matter how good he and his partners dance -- America won't let him in! It bugs me to no end, to the point where I resent America's voting criteria more than ABC's manipulations.
    Not only that, I'm just tired of his personality. I'm all for being happy if he wants to celebrate winning, but he and Mark make it about themselves. After he won season 7, Mark and Corky ran right to Derek and hoisted him up, leaving Brooke standing down below. His camera mugging is somewhat toned down this season, but that still bugs. He's done gimmicks and gotten away with it when other couples were called out. Let's just say, I'm curious if Nicole would have still gotten a 9 for her non-quick step if she had someone else. Just like I wonder if Joanna would have gotten all the praise heaped on her with a different partner.
    I keep seeing that story related here, and honestly, I just don't see why it's such a big deal, and why it makes them so easy to hate. It may be annoying at face value, but these three grew up together like brothers and sisters. And they come from the pro ballroom world, where everyone else is just as competitive as they are. It's not like they kicked Brooke down a flight of stairs. They were caught up in the moment, like humans tend to be sometimes.

As for Nicole's 9s for the quickstep, I saw that as the judges deciding not to penalize the star for the pro's sin. The choreography may not have been a real quickstep, but she still danced the hell out of it, and didn't give any indication that if there was more quickstep in the routine that she couldn't have handled it. I think that's fair.

For me, all that leaves is Derek's mugging and his hyperness on camera -- guilty as charged, even I get annoyed at Derek for that sometimes. But it doesn't prevent me from appreciating how much I enjoy watching his routines. C'est la vie...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3901290;

As for Nicole's 9s for the quickstep, I saw that as the judges deciding not to penalize the star for the pro's sin. The choreography may not have been a real quickstep, but she still danced the hell out of it, and didn't give any indication that if there was more quickstep in the routine that she couldn't have handled it. I think that's fair.

If we're proposing that the judges shouldn't punish the stars for the pros' sins, well, Erin shouldn't have gotten a 7 from Len for her samba. I'm sure there are other instances in which a pro has failed his/her star. If we're going to give leeway to Nicole, they all should get it.

Derek and Nicole are a powerhouse. She does dance her heart out, but so do most of the other stars. Things that are deducted from other stars' performances should also be deducted from Nicole's, like the use of gimmicks. Both the quickstep and the foxtrot had gimmicks. That was Derek's doing. If Len's calling someone out about gimmicks, he needs to call them all out.

No one denies Nicole her props nor Derek his, but they're dancing in their own league not the show's.
    Last edited by veg_out; 05-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;3901317;
    If we're proposing that the judges shouldn't punish the stars for the pros' sins, well, Erin shouldn't have gotten a 7 from Len for her samba. I'm sure there are other instances in which a pro has failed his/her star. If we're going to give leeway to Nicole, they all should get it.
    I agree, it should be all or none. I'd have to watch Erin's dance again to see if her execution merited more than a 7 before I could agree completely, though.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'm not a big fan of Nicole's - She's definitely a very good dancer, but I just don't find her at all engaging as a performer.
    I do really like Derek, though. He is just mesmerizing to watch on the stage and he's just so adorable.
    I'm not sure why so many dislike him, but then I don't like all the pros, either.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Len's absolute worst excuse on props for Erin and Maks came on their Jive. He criticized Maks for reading a menu, when Maks was moving and dancing the entire time. He's been overly critical of Erin and Maks all season, and his paddle scores prove that. When Derek and Nicole didn't do a proper Quick Step, they still got outstanding scores for it. That's where the fairness comes into question, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3901319;
    I agree, it should be all or none. I'd have to watch Erin's dance again to see if her execution merited more than a 7 before I could agree completely, though.
    Len made a point of telling Erin that he was giving her a 7 because of Maks' use of gimmicks/choreography.

It kinda all becomes relative/subjective when measuring who exerted more effort/heart in their dances. They all are trying really hard, but dancing is a performing art that leans so much on lines and timing. Some look better doing it. So it's kinda hard to say that someone deserved a certain score for performance. I can understand the score for technical accuracy.

If only we made the rules

FORT Regular

Guess who has the only full-page picture in the next TV Guide magazine?

+ Reply to Thread