+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3900059;
    Suffice it to say, I'd prefer that the producers NOT cast people with so much actual dance experience.
    You make a lot of good points, and ultimately I wish they could cast a more balanced roster as well. But that in itself seems like an impossible task. While I would bet lots of C and D list celebrities are trying to get on the show to boost their careers, it's probably a lot harder for the show to attract a few A and B list names each season in order to attract viewers.

And I can understand how Nicole's being hard on herself and not being as fun-loving as others can turn people off. It makes me cringe a little sometimes too, but it doesn't make me root for her less, for some reason.

I think the fundamental difference between me and most people here is: I like Derek! That seems to be a big factor in all this too. For all his talents and accomplishments with his partners, he hasn't taken a partner to the finals in 4 seasons. And yet people even seem to punish him when Mark wins a season, because they grew up together. I just love watching him dance, and the staggering amounts of creativity in his choreography. I don't think it would be a crime for him to win one more season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Erin win, because that's a good story and good TV. But I would mind it if Erin came in third, and then Evan beat Nicole, provided the actual dancing was equal on all sides. Evan doesn't appeal to me the way he does to so many others, mostly because to me, he puts on the same mock-humble face as Nicole supposedly does, but he's better at it because his trainers teach that to skaters for when they get interviewed. He's just as much of a frontrunner as Nicole is, but he refuses to learn from the judges, and his dancing stays at a slightly-less-than-perfect level because of it. He needs to learn how to work with a partner, and to be in the moment with her. That's a crucial part of ballroom dancing, and it's something that even Niecy and Chad and other eliminated stars understand. If he wins, it will ring false to me. But that's just me.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3900075;
    You make a lot of good points, and ultimately I wish they could cast a more balanced roster as well. But that in itself seems like an impossible task. While I would bet lots of C and D list celebrities are trying to get on the show to boost their careers, it's probably a lot harder for the show to attract a few A and B list names each season in order to attract viewers.

And I can understand how Nicole's being hard on herself and not being as fun-loving as others can turn people off. It makes me cringe a little sometimes too, but it doesn't make me root for her less, for some reason.

I think the fundamental difference between me and most people here is: I like Derek! That seems to be a big factor in all this too. For all his talents and accomplishments with his partners, he hasn't taken a partner to the finals in 4 seasons. And yet people even seem to punish him when Mark wins a season, because they grew up together. I just love watching him dance, and the staggering amounts of creativity in his choreography. I don't think it would be a crime for him to win one more season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Erin win, because that's a good story and good TV. But I would mind it if Erin came in third, and then Evan beat Nicole, provided the actual dancing was equal on all sides. Evan doesn't appeal to me the way he does to so many others, mostly because to me, he puts on the same mock-humble face as Nicole supposedly does, but he's better at it because his trainers teach that to skaters for when they get interviewed. He's just as much of a frontrunner as Nicole is, but he refuses to learn from the judges, and his dancing stays at a slightly-less-than-perfect level because of it. He needs to learn how to work with a partner, and to be in the moment with her. That's a crucial part of ballroom dancing, and it's something that even Niecy and Chad and other eliminated stars understand. If he wins, it will ring false to me. But that's just me.
    I think that's where my dislike from Derek comes from. It's the show's fault for doing it, but it's him. I honestly hope he doesn't get paired up with someone that I like because then I'd have to root for him As far as I'm concerned, though, I'd feel the same way if Mark were standing here at the end with Nicole. All the Hough/Ballas's are one in the same. When one wins, they all win. Derek tweeted last season, after going out 4th, that he let "them" down-and he didn't mean him and Joanna. Does anyone not think they won't pull off a perfect 60 next week, complete with comments of 'you topped yourself', 'that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen', 'you did it again!', 'you're just a flawless dancer', 'that's the best routine I've seen on either Strictly or DWTS ever'. Whether they deserve it or not will remain to be seen, but that's where it's gotten with Derek for me. You know what the judges will say before they say it, you know that he'll have a decent partner, you know he's going to win any individual or team thing that's scored. Someone suggested renaming the team dances 'Team Derek' and 'Team Gonna Lose'. He's like King Midas. Anything he touches is gold. He may have made the finals once, but has never finished any worse than 6th place, and that partly may have been his and Shannon's fault they didn't go further. Saying he got no named models or that Jennie, Shannon, and Joanna weren't specutacular so he deserves the ringer isn't good enough when compared to the other pros who've dealt with first eliminations (more than once), who've dealt with partners that were disrespectful to them and who didn't have a prayer. There's just something about Derek that the show puts him above it all. Even Mark, who does annoy me slightly more, has gotten his share of horrible partners, as has Julianne (who I think is a doll). But why does it seem every season has to have a Hough or Ballas in the finals? I'm sure it's aggrivating to the other pros. It's a common theme online.

As for Nicole, she's gotten more entitled as the weeks have gone on. It really has nothing to do with not knowing who she was pre-show. I never expected to root for Warren Sapp or Kelly Osbourne but fell in love with them on the show. There've been others who I thought I'd love but were a big let down. If they're going to cast a ringer, at least make her nice like Kristi. I still think the show is setting her up to win. Evan isn't the winner in the judges minds, unless they're really playing it low because they think him winning will be a shock. If so, they're better actors than I thought. Nicole is getting a crappy edit in the rehearsal packages, but she's scoring well everywhere else. She's got the favorite pro. She'll do no wrong. I think it'll be edited more that loveable, Olympian Evan will be headed for victory but Nicole takes it in a "surprise". Then they can claim the best dancer who doubted herself and doesn't do this for a living won the best season ever. I doubt you'll see anyone onstage surprised.

But if that's the case, then the show isn't trying to help Nicole; they're trying to help Evan! They probably thought he would be the runaway favorite this season, but it would be okay because he was fresh off being America's come-from-behind Olympic hero. Who wouldn't want to see that kind of all-American victory?

Well, me, because it would be false. He's got chronic weaknesses that aren't because of any lack of physical ability, but because of a lack of sophistication and adaptability on his part. Meanwhile, Nicole is dancing her heart out, and she's the frontrunner.

So if ABC is giving her crappy edits, while trying to make Evan's dull personality seem bubbly like Kristi or Shawn, what does that tell you about who ABC wants to win? That is what ticks me off more than anything: they can't just let the best dancer win, they have to try and manipulate the audience not to like someone like Nicole because she doesn't fit the "narrative" they want to tell. She is this year's Gilles. And that just makes me want to vote for her more, and get even more email accounts, and crow about why she deserves to win from the highest tower. Because I can't stand insincerity. And to me, it's not coming from her. It's coming from the show.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3900604;
    But if that's the case, then the show isn't trying to help Nicole; they're trying to help Evan! They probably thought he would be the runaway favorite this season, but it would be okay because he was fresh off being America's come-from-behind Olympic hero. Who wouldn't want to see that kind of all-American victory?

Well, me, because it would be false. He's got chronic weaknesses that aren't because of any lack of physical ability, but because of a lack of sophistication and adaptability on his part. Meanwhile, Nicole is dancing her heart out, and she's the frontrunner.

So if ABC is giving her crappy edits, while trying to make Evan's dull personality seem bubbly like Kristi or Shawn, what does that tell you about who ABC wants to win? That is what ticks me off more than anything: they can't just let the best dancer win, they have to try and manipulate the audience not to like someone like Nicole because she doesn't fit the "narrative" they want to tell. She is this year's Gilles. And that just makes me want to vote for her more, and get even more email accounts, and crow about why she deserves to win from the highest tower. Because I can't stand insincerity. And to me, it's not coming from her. It's coming from the show.
    Now that we can agree on. The show is going to ruin itself more by manufacturing drama where there isn't none, and make itself more and more predictable as each season goes on. Sometimes I feel like Kelly Monaco's win still scars them. Whoever has said it's becoming more like a reality show and less like a competition is right. I'd rather just see the dances and say to heck with the rehearsal packages. The ringer argument can go on and on, but I think Nicole does have a clear advantage over everyone else, and it may be easier to adapt to the show for her because she's danced for a living. It's why I sometimes think athletes have an unfair advantage, at least training wise. They're used to be putting in long hours, the strain on their bodies, and listening to someone tell them what to do. I hadn't really thought Evan or her were equal in dancing and the judges scores have proved that to me. That's not to take away his advantage over Chad and Erin, but I think Nicole has, from day 1, outdanced him. I'm not saying I want a cast of clunkers. Buzz was adorable but had no chance. I think the cast started out decent enough, potential wise, but no one that was terrible or, aside from Evan and Nicole, had a huge advantage. I'd rather see the core of the cast in future seasons. Everyone, except Ashly and poor Tony, had something to work with for a change.

I'd have to disagree on Evan's portrayl; if they're trying to make him seem bubbly, they've got a long way to go I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks who will be right on who's going to win. I'm still calling Nicole. I'd love to be wrong. And I wouldn't rule out Chad. So maybe we'll both be wrong. I'm sure the show won't let that happen, but I won't be too surprised. As much as I want an Erin/Maks victory, that's the one I'm least expecting.

FORT Fogey

Nicole for the win! Reading some of these comments make me enthusiastic about voting for her! Well, I am currently voting for Ocho Cinco but that's just until the inevitable happens! lol! Sorry, Chad. But then I will vote for Nicole. Firstly, Evan is a jerk. I've been following his interviews for a very long time. He sometimes gloats about being mean to people and he is often taking shots at my boy, Johnny Weir. So he has to go! Secondly, he lacks artistic expression which is a huge problem considering he is a performer. Nicole really has all the elements a winner should have. I am a bit irked that this season was not a level playing field. It usually feels more fair to me. But when it comes down to the best 3 contenders, Nicole is the best of the best.
    I don't know why people feel the need to criticize the woman for being good. They allowed her to compete, didn't they? So why blame her for being good? Some people might need to ask themselves this question: Why isn't Evan that good? What is his excuse for not being the best? He has the same skill and the same opportunity as Nicole. Maybe he just needs to work harder!
    I love you, Johnny Weir!

FORT Regular

Nicole is by far the best dancer and if it were a dance competition she should win. Here's how I see their ability. 1. Nicole....huge gap........2. Evan..... smaller gap ...... 3. Erin.... girnormous gap.... 4. Chad. IMO the gap between Evan and Erin is due to Erin's body type and posture issues. I think she's capable of dancing very well and getting the scores - it just might not look as good. My worst scenario is for Chad to make the finals ahead of any of them. Other than that, I don't care about the finish. I usually find the freestyles to be a let-down, and often don't watch.

As for Nicole, she's gotten more entitled as the weeks have gone on. It really has nothing to do with not knowing who she was pre-show. I never expected to root for Warren Sapp or Kelly Osbourne but fell in love with them on the show. There've been others who I thought I'd love but were a big let down. If they're going to cast a ringer, at least make her nice like Kristi.
    And then there's this. I had no idea who Nicole was before DWTS. I probably would have been inclined not to like her anyway because I'm tired of her partner, and on top of that, she's received a bad edit for some reason, so there you go. It's not just a dance contest and all the other stuff comes into play. She and Derek as a team are just too predictable and that and the favortism turns me off. IMO Derek is all about Derek and getting publicity, and the show is playing along, but that's another post. Are the bad edits meant to balance out their scores somehow? I have no idea. But it's clear they're going to dance well, and their scores will offset any lack of votes due to the ringer stuff and edits. I think she's a cinch to win. If not her, then I think it will be Erin because she has some momentum going. I l like Evan but I've thought all along he hasn't been doing that well with the votes, and it doesn't look like he's going to get the scores or the judges' comments to put him at the top. I just hope he finishes ahead of Chad.

I would agree that Derek is an excellent dancer. He'd be great in musical theater or musical films if they made those anymore. I could easily see him in the Russ Tamblyn role in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

On this show, however, all the pro dancers are good. Derek still has to prove to me that he can do what Louis, for example, has done in the past two seasons -- take a less than graceful and not so slim celebrity partner with no dance experience and help her become a good dancer. If he can do that, he'll start getting some of my votes.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella;3899649;
    I won't vote for her ever...and if Derek is back next season I hope he gets paired with some nasty heifer with two left feet.
    You want them to bring Kate back?!

Quote Originally Posted by Julika;3900665;
    Nicole is by far the best dancer and if it were a dance competition she should win. Here's how I see their ability. 1. Nicole....huge gap........2. Evan..... smaller gap ...... 3. Erin.... girnormous gap.... 4. Chad. IMO the gap between Evan and Erin is due to Erin's body type and posture issues. I think she's capable of dancing very well and getting the scores - it just might not look as good. My worst scenario is for Chad to make the finals ahead of any of them. Other than that, I don't care about the finish. I usually find the freestyles to be a let-down, and often don't watch.

And then there's this. I had no idea who Nicole was before DWTS. I probably would have been inclined not to like her anyway because I'm tired of her partner, and on top of that, she's received a bad edit for some reason, so there you go. It's not just a dance contest and all the other stuff comes into play. She and Derek as a team are just too predictable and that and the favortism turns me off. IMO Derek is all about Derek and getting publicity, and the show is playing along, but that's another post. Are the bad edits meant to balance out their scores somehow? I have no idea. But it's clear they're going to dance well, and their scores will offset any lack of votes due to the ringer stuff and edits. I think she's a cinch to win. If not her, then I think it will be Erin because she has some momentum going. I l like Evan but I've thought all along he hasn't been doing that well with the votes, and it doesn't look like he's going to get the scores or the judges' comments to put him at the top. I just hope he finishes ahead of Chad.
    The freestyle round has been a let down since season 6. I enjoyed Kristi's, Shawn's, Jason's, and Warren and Donny's (Kym is queen). Everyone else's were forgettable. I'm pretty much expecting perfection on Derek/Nicole's part for the freestyle round but whether the show is really aiming for a win for these two will be told on how the judges rank everyone else. I think Evan/Anna can pull off something spectacular, but the question is whether the judges will dock points if they don't think there's enough dancing or the dancing isn't good enough (mainly, will they find something wrong on purpose?) I think Chad, who I'm expecting to also be there in the finals, will pull off something good, and maybe Cheryl can redeem herself from her bomb with Gilles. What you said about Louis says it all. I also admire Kym and Chelsie for the same reasons. Sometimes a clunky partner is a lost cause, but those 3 usually spring to mind in being able to turn someone awful or mediocre around. They can usually choreograph to their strengths and around their weaknesses, and come up with some really good routines without completely dumbing down the dance. I just want Derek either to get an early ouster, horrible hoofer. He's overdue. Or take a season off (and take his buddy with him).

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3900075;

I feel the same difference, MFWalkoff! He is one of my very favorite pros because of his incredible dance performances and stunning choreography. A majority of the time, it is his routine that is the highlight of the night for me.

I also don't get how he, Mark and Julianne are equated. If Anna wins with Evan, will that also be counted for Maks and Edyta, because they're also Russian and part of the older group? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I just hope D/N make it to the finals. I will feel severely deprived if I don't get to see their freestyle! I would certainly be happy for them if they win, although I would also be happy for A/E or M/E as well. I feel that each of those couples deserve to win for different reasons.

+ Reply to Thread