+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3899731;
    Well, that would be your opinion - we had the same conversation 2 seasons ago when Melissa was pegged the ringer and that the dance came easy to her - no matter how much she stressed that it didn't come easy for her (cheerleader as opposed to ballroom) people didn't believe her because she was able to do well - same thing in my opinion. Just because someone can get it and nail it doesn't mean it came easy - that's the point I'm making
    Anders, early on in the season it was traced back by someone in her hometown, and we discovered that Nicole went to the School of Fine Arts for HS where they get all kinds of classes including dance.

I just don't see how she can come out every single week even when they have two dances, group dances, or whatever have you dances and blow it out of the water if it is difficult for her. That is illogical. Even that 6 Len gave her was highly suspect to everyone else who thought it looked pretty good.

Like the rest of us, Nicole may have things in life that are difficult for her, but dance is not one of them. I think it is insulting to my intelligence as a viewer for them to try to push that idea on me. That doesn't take anything away from the fact that I think she is a beautiful dancer - and much better than Melissa was, and I was in Melissa's corner.

I also think that although she isn't a professional ballroom dancer, in her entertainment field, she most definitely dances enough and well enough to be called a professional dancer. Who does her choreography for her dances? Does she?

The gal came in as a singer/dancer, and she probably dances better than she sings.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Fair to say, that most seasons they have someone on who clearly has dance experience - in some way or another.
    I think what happens some seasons, though, is that those people don't come off that well in terms of their personalities. And, as a result, people don't like the contestant. I think this show is all about personality. Nicole's personality just doesn't seem as engaging as some others.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I felt their last dance this week was a bit soft and lacked paso doble love-hate. They looked more like brother and sister than lovers.

Also the dance ended about 30 seconds too soon; that's from choosing the wrong music.

Both mistakes were made by Derek, not Nicole. Hopefully he won't let her down in the Finals like pros did in previous seasons and rob her of what is rightfully hers. Hello Cheryl.

P.S. Did anyone else think Nicole had the most subdued reaction to perfect scores in DWTS history?
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Gotcha Bloomers - I guess I just will never understand the negativity towards her (dance experience aside)- if this show evoked these feelings in me I wouldn't watch - I'm upset when people like Pam go, but it is a game/reality show and I don't expect it go the way I want it to or for it to be anything other than what it has been for 10 seasons.

charm - I agree, there's no chemistry between them either - but at least slightly more then Evan and Anna.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

In my opinion, the only way I see Nicole not winning this season will be through the fan vote. Let's face it, Mya was technically a better dancer than Donny, but she lost. Nicole is technically a better dancer (by far) than any one else on the show. She can't win, however, on her dance skill alone. The viewer votes will have the say in who wins - unless the judges give scores to Niclole so much higher than the other competitors that else has a chance - and I don"t think that will happen. Does she have enough viewer votes for a win? That's the $64,000 question.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3899508;
    I wonder where Nicole is falling with the fan votes.....great dancing, but I wonder if it will be enough to win. I'd rather she win over Evan.
    Because she continues to get overpraised and overscored (in some routines), I wonder if she's doing as well as the others, and that the judges are trying to override the fan vote. Either that or create the illiusion that if they love her, everyone else will be mesmerized into thinking she's really good and vote for her.

In my opinion, the only way I see Nicole not winning this season will be through the fan vote. Let's face it, Mya was technically a better dancer than Donny, but she lost. Nicole is technically a better dancer (by far) than any one else on the show. She can't win, however, on her dance skill alone. The viewer votes will have the say in who wins - unless the judges give scores to Niclole so much higher than the other competitors that else has a chance - and I don"t think that will happen. Does she have enough viewer votes for a win? That's the $64,000 question.
    But Nicole has one thing Mya didn't-Derek. For that alone, I think her chances of winning are better. The judges will have one dance, the very last dance, that they score alone. Usually they keep the scores close, but it could be enough to tip the scale just enough to get the outcome they want. Does she alone have the fan votes? I doubt that, but she's the judges pet, is paired with the producers pet, and CA every week gets more blown away with her comments and critiques. I feel like they're leading up to her winning. Last week or the week before she was worried, Bruno said she didn't need to be, this week she whined that this was too hard for her, next week she'll get a boost of confidence as she cha chas and tangos her way to perfection. The ringers get better and better every season. I'd feel better if Derek and Mark didn't always seem to get first dibs, or at the very least not Derek get the dancers who always have potential.

Instead of luring former contestants over from SYTYCD to be pros, perhaps they'll invite one of them on to be a contestant.
    I'm actually waiting for that moment. Either that, or they can bring Julianne back as a contestant and label her a country singer. Ballroom experience aside, Nicole is not far behind her, dance wise. I don't think the show cares anything about dance experience, they just want to make a show. It's why they cast heifers like Kate, crazies like Cloris, and sex pots who can't shake it Denise.

FORT Fogey

I'm not sure that the demo of dwts knows much about the Pussy Cat Dolls but Nicole has sold millions of albums and probably doesn't have the biggest issue with getting votes. I don't imagine that she receives the most votes either. I think Nicole's biggest problem is that she has been pegged as the one with the most dancing experience. That may be true but I think Evan has more experience related to the kind of dancing that they are doing now. I mean, he is the current Olympic Champion in a sport where grace, strength, and performance are important.
    I don't really want either to win but I'd take Nicole over Evan any day.

I just don't understand how anyone can think that putting together all these dances and performing them this well comes easy to Nicole, or anyone. Nobody looks at Evan and says, "Well, figure skating comes easy for him, so of course he won the gold medal!" Instead they say, "He works harder than anyone!" How is it that watching some brief, edited video clips can reveal how easy/hard it is to do what these stars are doing? It's as if a star has to get injured just to prove that they're not a ringer.

Nicole is obviously not going to win, because she's not an Olympic darling, or a nice blonde sports broadcaster who has been in the news. Apparently America doesn't know Nicole as well, and has decided that her backstory makes her less desirable. I think it's more about that than it is about being a frontrunner all season. If Donny had consistently scored better than Mya all season, Mya probably would have been spared all the "ringer" talk, but would Donny have been branded a ringer and subjected to all the venom that goes with it? No, because he's a nice, cozy, comfy personality that America can snuggle with, and stand behind.

It does not come easy to Nicole. It takes just as much hard work for her as it does for Evan, whose abilities are equal to hers.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3900051;
    It does not come easy to Nicole. It takes just as much hard work for her as it does for Evan, whose abilities are equal to hers.
    I have to disagree. She may need to work to learn the steps and get them right, but her underlying technique is superior to the other "stars," including Evan, because her experience is in dancing. All you have to do is look at her feet. There was an image from last week where Derek had her bent over backward and her foot was PERFECT - in a picture last week of Cheryl with her leg out the same way, they were identical.

Nicole's starting point puts her ahead of the others. She has to work to learn the routines and polish them, but because she already has the basic dance technique - arms, carriage, extension, pointed feet - she can skip that and just work on honing the routine.

ITA with fluff - the weeping every week is just too much. Like we're supposed to feel sorry for her because she's such a perfectionist? I don't buy it. I'd much rather watch someone who starts out with little dance experience, but really blossoms throughout the season. Yes, Evan has experience learning choreography, but we've seen how his skating training has worked against him, especially with the Latin dances.

Also, if Nicole seemed like she was actually having fun, I'd like her a bit more. She's so Type-A about it that it's hard to like her. Maybe Melissa was a bit of a ringer too, but at least you could tell she was having a great time. It doesn't help that I really can't stand Derek. His over-the-top hammy-ness is just too much.

I love seeing someone who you don't expect to be a terrific dancer - who has little actual dance experience - just go out there and blow everyone away - Apollo and Drew were both like that for me.

Anyway, not to get off on a tangent or open up a debate about past seasons. Suffice it to say, I'd prefer that the producers NOT cast people with so much actual dance experience.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3900051;
    I just don't understand how anyone can think that putting together all these dances and performing them this well comes easy to Nicole, or anyone. Nobody looks at Evan and says, "Well, figure skating comes easy for him, so of course he won the gold medal!" Instead they say, "He works harder than anyone!" How is it that watching some brief, edited video clips can reveal how easy/hard it is to do what these stars are doing? It's as if a star has to get injured just to prove that they're not a ringer.

Nicole is obviously not going to win, because she's not an Olympic darling, or a nice blonde sports broadcaster who has been in the news. Apparently America doesn't know Nicole as well, and has decided that her backstory makes her less desirable. I think it's more about that than it is about being a frontrunner all season. If Donny had consistently scored better than Mya all season, Mya probably would have been spared all the "ringer" talk, but would Donny have been branded a ringer and subjected to all the venom that goes with it? No, because he's a nice, cozy, comfy personality that America can snuggle with, and stand behind.

Yes, I guess it probably doesn't come easy for her. She is certainly used to dance rehearsals and has the stamina to dance all week. She is certainly advantaged. I couldn't say that she has a bigger advantage than Evan though. This competition isn't easy for anyone, I suppose.

+ Reply to Thread