+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3887331;
    Evan and Anna are behaving themselves very well and I believe are setting themselves up correctly for a come-from-behind win in the Final. He's building his fan base by hard work, good manners, and respectful responses to criticism. He hasn't called himself an artist, either.
    This just kills me, because I believe it's truly unfair to Nicole in terms of it being a reason not to like her. First of all, Evan IS an artist, just as Nicole is, and it's not a crime or egotistical if either one of them calls themself one. It's what they've chosen to do with their lives, they are successful doing it, so they've both earned the title and (to a degree) the temperment that comes with it.

Any harshness or complaining coming frm Nicole has been about herself and her performance, not about the show or the judges. She doesn't draw unusual amounts of attention to herself when in a group, and I've yet to see her be rude to anyone on the show. She works just as hard as anyone, too; Evan doesn't corner the market on hard work just because it's the thing about him the the NFSA has chosen to market him by.

Anyone is free not to like her or not root for her, it just bugs me that anyone with some natural ability gets locked up in the same "ringer" dungeon and assigned all the negative traits of Mya and her predecessors. They are not the same person.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3891012;
    This just kills me, because I believe it's truly unfair to Nicole in terms of it being a reason not to like her. First of all, Evan IS an artist, just as Nicole is, and it's not a crime or egotistical if either one of them calls themself one. It's what they've chosen to do with their lives, they are successful doing it, so they've both earned the title and (to a degree) the temperment that comes with it.

Any harshness or complaining coming frm Nicole has been about herself and her performance, not about the show or the judges. She doesn't draw unusual amounts of attention to herself when in a group, and I've yet to see her be rude to anyone on the show. She works just as hard as anyone, too; Evan doesn't corner the market on hard work just because it's the thing about him the the NFSA has chosen to market him by.

Anyone is free not to like her or not root for her, it just bugs me that anyone with some natural ability gets locked up in the same "ringer" dungeon and assigned all the negative traits of Mya and her predecessors. They are not the same person.
    I put Nicole in the ringer category because that's what she is. Her advantage is obvious and CA made it even clearer this week. Because I feel like there's been hesitation on Derek's part to really let Nicole give it her all, it remains to be seen whether CA's remarks hurt them but I still don't expect to get a Hough free finale. I feel like there is some attitude on Nicole's part, and I had to roll my eyes at her crying about being in second and being criticized by the judges. Selective editing I know, but she was in second, they were nice in their critiques, and she still got higher scores than past couples who've broken the rules or given dumbed down routines (Mommy Kate being a rare exception). There's something entitled I feel coming from her, and I don't know whether being partnered with someone else would make it better or worse. I think all ringers are grouped in the same category but all don't get the same gushing from the judges or may not look as flawless or Nicole and Mya. Mel B was compared to looking like a trucker in some of her moves and needed to fine tune herself to be more lady like. Plus, she had an outrageous personality of her own, much like Joey Fatone, where I think Nicole falls flat. Performance wise I think it's all Derek.

The difference between Mya and Nicole, imo, is that I don't see Derek being the pushover that Dmitry was. At times it was hard to tell who was the one calling the shots in that partnership. Mya came across at times like she was above it all. Nicole does seem to have respect for Derek, and the show itself, even if I think she's come across that she deserved better. What my big issue with ringers, and just the appointed favorites in general (putting Nicole/Derek aside) is the obvious bias from the judges. Mario Lopez broke rules in his dances early on in favor of showmanship and got docked for it. Now that was an early era of DWTS so who knows if the same would happen to him today. Anytime a judge can find no wrong with a couple, completely gushes over everything they do even if they don't do a proper dance, when you can call that they're going to win some round-yeah, it gets old. It seems to begin and end with Derek and why, I can't figure out.

I feel like a final 2 of Evan/Nicole is coming but I still think, because Evan's the more well known, humble, likeable Olympian, they're going to try and pull the upset and crown Nicole. Whoever else is in the final 3 I'll feel sorry for because I'll feel like they're going to get nitpicked to death to keep them out of the final 2. It'll be in the judges comments and how they play it out. A perfect 30 is coming, and because these guys have the waltz I think this will be the week they finally win over Len. My big issue is more with the show/judges having to think they need to get a certain outcome to appease the viewers.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-01-2010 at 08:24 PM.

I'll be absolutely stunned if Derek and Nicole win. I see them getting a negative edit that's designed to turn off voters, not win new fans. I think some fans may vote for Derek just because they already like him. Same for Nicole. I'm guessing most who vote for them appreciate their dance routines. They're just really good, IMO. I also think Evan and Anna are fabulous, but I'll stick with Derek and Nicole here.

Yes, PCD has some NON Ballroom dance experience. To me that's not "ringer." I watch SYTYCD and have seen very talented lyrical or hip hop or other style dancers suck at ballroom. Dancing background can be an advantage. What is the name for the advantage a contestant has when they start with a huge fan base?

Last year my impression of Derek's partner was that she was very much like Pam is this year. She surprisingly had some natural dance ability which Derek developed and choreographed to well. I don't think Jennie had dance experience. I thought Brooke was a big surprise to everyone. Every season people screamed "ringer" about somebody who wasn't Derek's partner. Last time it was Dmitry's partner, before that Tony's. Once it was Maks' partner. I forget who partnered Yamaguchi. Frankly, I thought Kym's partner, Donnie, was as big a "ringer" as Maya in terms of background. He just didn't get the edit because he was older and not as good a dancer.

The better dancers usually take a lot of backlash, possibly due to resentment from fans of other pairs who are not as good. When a negative edit is presented in the packages and judges are seen to be scoring unfairly on top of that, it's a fair bet that TPTB don't plan to have that pair win. JMO

I only have one other season to compare this one to - Season 8. gilles marini looked like a lock to take the top prize, and he and Melissa were far better dancers than Shawn Johnson - she was great at the technical and pulling off the dance, but she didn't have the connection to the dance and music that is needed to really made it enjoyable to watch. The Latin dances especially require the passion/anger...etc...that she and mark really couldn't quite get.

Ringers don't always win, since Melissa was being touted as the ringer for that season and was out at F3, Gilles was the sex god who could bring the smoulder and not much else (as posted by many, not by me). Shawn won by a very small margin and after the final numbers were 'cleaned up'. And apparently there was a huge margin between Gilles and Melissa, she wasn't even competition for either of the F2 by the voting audience.

Although Nicole has been safe week after week, we dont' know where she's falling with her fan votes - for all we know she'll be out at F3...could happen.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Yes, PCD has some NON Ballroom dance experience. To me that's not "ringer." I watch SYTYCD and have seen very talented lyrical or hip hop or other style dancers suck at ballroom. Dancing background can be an advantage. What is the name for the advantage a contestant has when they start with a huge fan base?
    The difference is, I don't see Nicole sucking here. And when she does, at least CA and Bruno still love her. Whether that's because she fits their preferred genre, they love Derek, or are told to compliment and score her high even if she falls on her face and forgets her entire routine, who knows. I don't watch SYTYCD but have heard people from different genres not faring as well at something else. Some of the pros on here have attempted hip hop and failed miserably, and there have been different dance styles that have been introduced for a season (WCS, Texas two step) that also should never be attempted unless you're a professional of that dance.

Last year my impression of Derek's partner was that she was very much like Pam is this year. She surprisingly had some natural dance ability which Derek developed and choreographed to well. I don't think Jennie had dance experience. I thought Brooke was a big surprise to everyone. Every season people screamed "ringer" about somebody who wasn't Derek's partner. Last time it was Dmitry's partner, before that Tony's. Once it was Maks' partner. I forget who partnered Yamaguchi. Frankly, I thought Kym's partner, Donnie, was as big a "ringer" as Maya in terms of background. He just didn't get the edit because he was older and not as good a dancer.
    Donny is probably as close to winning by popularity as any celeb that's ever won this show. And I mean in terms of coming in with a huge fanbase, because other celebs have won due to popularity but seemed to gain more of it while waltzing away. Thing is, he wasn't that bad of a dancer. I thought it was a fairly weak crop of celebs last year, so it's not saying much, but Natalie, Aaron, and Mya were the only 3 I thought had a shot, dance wise, to win, next to Donny. Of course Natalie had the surprise boot, and Aaron/Mya were polarizing and not generally well liked. There will always be ringers, so you'll see this same argument in the fall, and same time next year I probably wouldn't have an issue is everyone was on a more level playing field, which I think this season accomplished better than others, and if the nitpicking of some couples but the gushing over others. And I don't even mean ringers like Nicole, just chosen ones in general.

The better dancers usually take a lot of backlash, possibly due to resentment from fans of other pairs who are not as good. When a negative edit is presented in the packages and judges are seen to be scoring unfairly on top of that, it's a fair bet that TPTB don't plan to have that pair win. JMO
    For me, that's got nothing to do with it. It can be aggrivating, as I mentioned above, when one, two, or all the judges seem to be infatuated by a certain duo just because they show up. I know some people are like me, in that they see a bias with Derek and are Houghed/Ballased out. For 5 seasons no one that didn't have that last name didn't win, and for the most part got fairly positive receptions to anything they did with their partners, whether it was worse than someone else or if people felt they got overscored. Putting the Derek and ringer issue aside, there are other things I don't like about Nicole. Maybe she wouldn't seem to be as boring to me or have an attitude if she had another pro, maybe she would The anti-Hough club think TPTB are going to try and get him his second trophy so he can match his sister and BFF's case and, if there theory of evening out the ratio of male/female winners has any truth to it, they can get their female winner at the same time. There's still a few weeks left, so anything can happen in terms of turning a person around. Evan tanked last week so we'll see what happens this week with the judges comments. I still bet Nicole will get her perfect 30, or at the very least finally win over Len and get a decent score from him. Either way, I think next season I'll try not to take it too seriously It's not like anything will change with the judges, and probably the same pros will get the same celeb types all over again. Fall seasons usually pale in comparison to the spring editions anyway.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-02-2010 at 02:18 AM.

I just think that the anti-BHB forces are so focused on their bitterness, that they don't seem to have noticed that:

a) The one time Derek won was 4 seasons ago, and while his partners tend to last long, that was the only time he ever got a partner into the Finals,

b) Julianne's last win was 5 seasons ago, and it was the last time she was in the finals, not to mention that, hello, she left the show 2 seasons ago and most likely will never return, and

c) even Mark, who for me is the one whose record is most responsible for the scorn heaped upon all 3 of them, has gotten stuck with early exiters this season and last.

Kym won last season, and Derek's place in the Finals this season isn't a guarantee (see Joanna Krupa). Everyone's so busy resenting the Terrible Trio, they haven't noticed that it ceased to exist after season 8.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3891886;
    I just think that the anti-BHB forces are so focused on their bitterness, that they don't seem to have noticed that:

a) The one time Derek won was 4 seasons ago, and while his partners tend to last long, that was the only time he ever got a partner into the Finals,

b) Julianne's last win was 5 seasons ago, and it was the last time she was in the finals, not to mention that, hello, she left the show 2 seasons ago and most likely will never return, and

c) even Mark, who for me is the one whose record is most responsible for the scorn heaped upon all 3 of them, has gotten stuck with early exiters this season and last.

Kym won last season, and Derek's place in the Finals this season isn't a guarantee (see Joanna Krupa). Everyone's so busy resenting the Terrible Trio, they haven't noticed that it ceased to exist after season 8.
    I can agree with you on Mark, and I hope to God his father never returns. I think Shannen left too soon but feel like we got lucky. Since my favorite, for 4 seasons, finished #2 behind Julianne/Mark/Derek/Mark-yeah, I guess I can be a little bitter Once they actually give Derek a Cloris/Kate level partner, then I'll feel like it's all even and not feel so Hough-fatigued. Florence Henderson mentioned if she did the show she would like him as a partner, but she also said she liked Tony, so we probably know who she'll wind up with. They need to be a little more even in the partnerships. That's my other complaint, but it's not Derek's fault.

Either way, since I'm not crazy about Nicole, maybe it's better she wound up with a pro I didn't like. At least I won't feel obligated to vote for her that way If I liked her it's not like I wouldn't vote for her because of Derek.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-02-2010 at 06:09 PM.

FORT Fogey

I think Nichole may win. When you get two competing couples going neck and neck with one celebrity being a better dancer and the other being more popular, I think popularity wins out.

Nichole is obviously the best dancer, but the popularity level of the remaining contestants who have a shot, namely Evan and Erin, seems pretty evently split. If this is the case, then Nichole could take it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3892112;
    Once they actually give Derek a Cloris/Kate level partner, then I'll feel like it's all even and not feel so Hough-fatigued.
    A lot of people feel this way, but I wonder what that would accomplish. The producers usually pair him up with partners with more ability, but also with less (or notorious) name recognition, which in the end is what keeps them out of the finals anyway.

I have to wonder if Derek doesn't prefer it this way; he doesn't get the trophy in the end, but in getting partners who can perform his sick choreography, he gets to have more fun while he's around, as opposed to playing nurse-maid or remedial dance teacher.

For me, there has to be at least one star who dances like a fiend in a season, otherwise things get too gloomy. Maybe Derek struck a kind of devil's bargain with the show so that a lot of people's interests (especially the show's) are served.

Yeah this is wild speculation on my part, but what the heck.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-03-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3892471;
    A lot of people feel this way, but I wonder what that would accomplish. The producers usually pair him up with partners with more ability, but also with less (or notorious) name recognition, which in the end is what keeps them out of the finals anyway.

I have to wonder if Derek doesn't prefer it this way; he doesn't get the trophy in the end, but in getting partners who can perform his sick choreography, he gets to have more fun while he's around, as opposed to playing nurse-maid or remedial dance teacher.

For me, there has to be at least one star who dances like a fiend in a season, otherwise things get too gloomy. Maybe Derek struck a kind of devil's bargain with the show so that a lot of people's interests (especially the show's) are served.

Yeah this is wild speculation on my part, but what the heck.
    Everyone's had their share of Kate/Cloris/Buzz partners, in some cases more than once, so for me anyway, I'd just feel like someone else finally gets a break. For someone like me that's tired of Derek, I'll be spared of him all season and the funny stuff that goes on with the judges. Other than that, I don't think it accomplishes anything, except maybe getting to see another pro shine. I feel like some pros have a black cloud over them because of their continuous early exits on this show. It makes me wonder how often a celeb requests Jonathan. Even for getting no-named partners for the most part, he's still done very well, even if he made it to the finals just once.

The show obviously loves Derek for some reason, and since he hasn't gotten partners on that level, it makes me wonder at times if the show thinks he couldn't handle it or couldn't handle having to really teach someone or at the very least learn to drag them around. Because of the popularity of the show, and conspiracy theories thrown around about the contestants contracts, I do wonder sometimes if the pros get certain stipulations written into there's. The idea has been around a few seasons that a celeb might be guaranteed a certain placement, even if the viewer votes override that. Because celebs freely admit to saying who they picked as a pro, there could be perks in their contracts if the show thinks they'd be a big get. Who knows. If it were me I'd probably laugh the pro/celeb out of the building for making demands but that's why I'm not in the entertainment business. I don't think I'd last I'm kind of over this season as a whole, so the finale can't get here fast enough.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-03-2010 at 03:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread