+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by mslady;3756327;
    Pardon my stupidity, what is VN1?
    Also, re: Mya's regard for her partner-just my opinion- SHE HAS NONE. She is arrogant enough to believe she
    can pull this off "solo". I really feel sorry for Dmitry that he had to put up with her all this time.
    Sorry, it's VoteNumber1. Someone who followed and saved the numbers for years explained that while its numbers aren't perfect (and couldn't be), they are remarkably accurate.

Last season VoteNumber1 showed Gilles and Shawn almost in dead heat, and sure enough, the total turned out to be less than 1%, according to Tom Bergeron. That was the first time to my knowledge that the show has divulged any voting statistics, but it tracked very closely with VN1.

This season VN1 underestimated Michael Irvin's support, and did not predict that Natalie Coughlin would go home. They also missed Louie Vito being in the bottom three. So they are not perfect.[mod edit]
    Last edited by Critical; 11-24-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3756230;
    That, friend, is one brilliant observation. It's compelling in its simplicity.

Vulnerability is the essential quality which creates the performer/audience connection whether it be music, dance, art or simple everyday human existence (including trial law). It is the thing which takes us beyond the quality of the result and creates in each of us a response which says "I want more of you!" (not "more from you")

Mya may well be a wonderful and warm person to those to whom she opens her emotional wall. Unfortunately, on DWTS, that does not appear to include the viewing audience.
    This is what Mya has been lacking all season long, which was why she never connected with me or the audience.

Donny and Kelly both have that quality of vulnerability, which was why they were both audience favorites. People wanted them to succeed.

FORT Fanatic

Thank you, CatherineAG. Your explanation of VN1 was very helpful. I hope the prediction is correct.
    I'm for anyone except Mya. (no hatred involved-just fairness) If this prediction is true and Donny wins,
    I can't wait to see the look on Mya's face. It should be priceless.

I was doubtful of Donny in the beginning but most of my votes last night went to Donny (and some to Kelly ).

I am in agreement that Mya just was completely overconfident last night and really lost any connection to me or anyone else in the audience. Couple that with the fact that Dmitry is just not that great of a choreographer and you get that freestyle.

Go Donny !

Quote Originally Posted by kendra143;3756331;
    Yikes I guess I insulted the world of dance when I commented that Mya and Donny were both professionals. Mea culpa. I only meant that they can both move well and sell their programs and that's how they make their livings. I get that Donny is a "more shuffle off to Buffalo" sort of dancer. It feels like there's a little bit of "elitism" in the dance world and that's filtered in to this board. I just watch for fun and the amazement of what people can do with movement and grace (since I have little ability of my own). I'm not sure where the Mya hate started - surely if she has the technique and the knowledge of choreography that you all say she has, she should be using it to make impressive dances with Dimitry. I kind of like the fact that she's not oozing all over Dimitry like Cheryl Burke does with her partners (although I think Cheryl is a fabulous dancer). Anyway, LONG story short, I was not trying to insult the world of pure dance by comparing it to the schmaltzy Osmond type dance routines.
    No elitism from me. I love all forms of dance. If it were not for that fact that I've been in a very lucrative profession for nearly 40 years which I love and have ex wives to feed, I'd probably dance and teach full time -- the life of a starving artist.

I'm not sure how you justify the word "if" in relation to Mya's dance background. It's well documented. I absolutely know she is the best celebrity dancer this season. I also think she is better technically than some of the pro dancers. Week to week she has given brilliant performances. Unfortunately, for some, she doesn't connect with many people.

I'm a "charge at the windmill, Don Quixote" type of person, so while I have no animus toward Mya, I clearly have animus toward the producers who cast her and the ABC execs who approved of her participation. If I knew their names, I'd call them out for it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3756146;
    THAT's it! I've been trying to figure out the whole season why she seems so bland and it's the total lack of chemistry or regard for her partner. she acts like he's beneath her. Plus, she never really connected with him. During those sexy latin dances, she was just dancing. She wasn't feeling it and she wasn't dancing with Dmitri. She was dancing around him. He was just a prop for her all season.
    Well, as far as talent and creativity in dance, I think he IS beneath her! I think that's why she seemed annoyed all season, having to deal with his mediocrity. That's both the curse and blessing that comes from the fact that she herself is a professional. The truth of that came out in the dismal and ridiculous freestyle he came up with for her, arguably one of, if not THE best celebrity dancer ever on the show, no matter whether you feel she should have been there or not. I give her kudos for trying to make the best of a bad thing, but nobody could have made that silly Shirley Temple Good Ship Lollipop dance into an entertaining freestyle. It was a completely inappropriate dance for her. Dmitry should be off the show for that.

I would have LOVED to see Mya paired with Maks. Bet he would have choreographed a freestyle for them that would have knocked everybody's socks off and been legendary for seasons to come!

I was a fan well not a fan but liked him enough before this show. I think he is he one who is stuck up. He's just rubbed me wrong the whole time. It's only been about Marie and up'ing her. He still has horrible posture, is always looking down. I love Kym. Their freestyle didn't have anything exciting either. He lifted her a few times and was all showy. Lame! I don't see why they loved it so much so not at 10. Ha.

I enjoyed and smiled more during Kelly's freestyle.

I think Mya is the best dancer. But would love for Kelly to win. I think Dimitri should have listened to Mya and not played it so safe. If she was willing to do the work he should have listened to her.

Is everyone on the team Donny wagon in their 50's and been a fan forever? Just wondering.

And wow with Krupa's tweets the past day. She is so bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol;3756381;
    Is everyone on the team Donny wagon in their 50's and been a fan forever? Just wondering.
    Nope. In my 40's and, although I watched The Donny and Marie Show as a kid, I was a Shawn Cassidy girl

I've been voting for Kelly for weeks but, after last night, I gave Donny my vote. He's the one who has a chance to beat Mya and I really do think he gave the best performance last night. Not only has he improved so much, but he really "sold" his routines. Mya may be a better dancer, but I don't enjoy watching her. Kelly's cute as a button, but just had too many mistakes last night. I love her, but I don't think she can win.

I don't think the comparisons between Mya and Donny (as people who were full on dancers before the show) are completely fair. Mya has tons of professional dancing experience. For me, that's very different from being a pop star who does Temptation-style dance moves while singing. There will always be people on the show who are simply more coordinated than others and who have a better sense of rhythm and a natural aptitude for dance. I definitely don't want a season populated by arhythmic celebrities.

I remember on Skating With Celebrities when people complained that Jillian Barberie had tons of skating experience before the show. She definitely could have been called a ringer, but she didn't win the show. The person who won, had done very little (if any) skating, but improved tremendously: Jillian didn't improve much at all. I'm hoping that Mya will be another Jillian.

I like seeing the development of a good dancer over the season. Mya came in as a good dancer. I just don't see the point.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol;3756381;
    I am within spitting distance of 50, but have never been on the Osmond bandwagon. I've been an Iggy girl since the tender age of 9. Man, would I loooooove to see Iggy doing this show .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Man, I don't see nor get any of the attitude problems that some of the posters on this board says about Mya and guess you know her personally and possibly went to school with her. None the less my family and I love to watch her dance, I think she great and deserves to win it. At least she gotten the majority of my family's votes. I love Donny..grew up watching the Donny and Marie show, but sometimes he gets confused and causing a lot of miss steps to occur. Kelly is just cute, dancing wise....not so much. I didn't like any of the freestyle dancing of all three groups. I thought they were a hot mess and didn't put out any pizazz (sp). My vote is for Mya to win it, but if Donny wins it, then great.

None the less, I'm looking forward to the show down between Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice. I know it's going to be a hoot to watch.

+ Reply to Thread