+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 280

Thread: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #211
    FORT Newbie kendra143's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Just started reading this forum recently. That's a lot of Mya hate!! Goodness, Donny is as much a singing and dancing professional as Mya is. And I find that Osmond wholesomeness as annoying at 50+ as it was when he and Marie were a brother-sister team. Anyway, I digress. I love Dimitry but he did them no favors with that free dance - were they restricted to a type of dance or style of music? I would be happy if either Kelly or Mya wins, but I like Dimitry much better than Louis.

  2. #212
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    72

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kendra143;3756191;
    I love Dimitry but he did them no favors with that free dance - were they restricted to a type of dance or style of music?
    Nope, no restrictions at all. They were free to use whatever music and style of dance they wished. Didn't Dmitry say he thought that song and style of dance would appeal to the most people? Something like that.

  3. #213
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,956

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kendra143;3756191;
    Just started reading this forum recently. That's a lot of Mya hate!! Goodness, Donny is as much a singing and dancing professional as Mya is. And I find that Osmond wholesomeness as annoying at 50+ as it was when he and Marie were a brother-sister team. Anyway, I digress. I love Dimitry but he did them no favors with that free dance - were they restricted to a type of dance or style of music? I would be happy if either Kelly or Mya wins, but I like Dimitry much better than Louis.
    After we saw Mya's resume as posted on her thread, by far the majority of us concluded that someone who choreographed her dance on this show (as seen in a rehearsal clip), had danced with Michael Jackson, in the Lincoln Center, and in the musical Chicago, etc., was head and shoulders professionally above Donnie and anyone else who had ever been on this show who just incorporated dance into or as part of their career: dance on skates, dance as part of a boy band, dance as part of gymnastics, or dance as a cheerleader, etc.
    She is literally a professional dancer.

    IMO, there is a vast difference between the general type of softshoe shuffle off to Buffalo step which just about anyone can do that Donnie has done when necessary in his career and the jazz/contemporary dancing that is done in a broadway musical or in a Micheal Jackson number.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

  4. #214
    FORT Fogey nanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3756200;
    Nope, no restrictions at all. They were free to use whatever music and style of dance they wished. Didn't Dmitry say he thought that song and style of dance would appeal to the most people? Something like that.
    IF he choreographed the freestyle himself, (and I have a hard time believing Mya would give up all control) he showed his inexperience with that aspect of the show. "Over the top" and "out of the box" are things that people want to see in free style. There was nothing over the top in that number. It showed competent dancing and that's all.
    It is true what was said up-thread and in other places on the forum how Mya shows no emotional connection to her partner. She may as well be dancing alone. From the info on the show and what I've read elsewhere about her, it seems to be indicative of her perfectionist personality. If you're that concerned about perfection, it would be hard to open yourself up and be vulnerable.
    One more thing I noticed. During the season, Mya has made numerous comments of how "hard" she's worked, what she's sacrificed and that she didn't come this far to not win it. What does she think everyone else has done? I don't remember any contestant in the past who as annoyed me as much with their "me-ness." (And, believe it or not, I was prepared to really like her the first couple of shows - the Audrey Hepburn neck drew me in.)

  5. #215
    FORT Fan Peacheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    316

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kendra143;3756191;
    Just started reading this forum recently. That's a lot of Mya hate!! Goodness, Donny is as much a singing and dancing professional as Mya is. And I find that Osmond wholesomeness as annoying at 50+ as it was when he and Marie were a brother-sister team. Anyway, I digress. I love Dimitry but he did them no favors with that free dance - were they restricted to a type of dance or style of music? I would be happy if either Kelly or Mya wins, but I like Dimitry much better than Louis.
    Kenda, your statement in bold above is an opinion to which you are entitled. I don't agree with it, based not on my opinion, but, rather, on my experience. I've been a ballroom dancer for nearly four decades, with three decades as a pro performer/teacher. I also happen to love musical theatre and have participated in amateur and professional theatre (Anything Goes, the Fantastics, Chicago, Chorus Line, West Side Story, etc) in NY and Washington, DC, for just as long.

    That wealth of experience, reading her pre-DWTS public resume (available at the Kennedy Center website) and seeing video of her rehearsals with Dimitry, tells me that Mya is a trained and seasoned pro for whom the vast majority of ballroom movement is already well known or easily learned. And, even more importantly, her essential dance frame is fully upright. Show performers dance differently with the posture not fully erect, and is actually slightly canted toward the audience. Last season Melissa Roycroft was criticized for this ballroom posture "failing".

    One thing that Donny brings to the floor is his stage showmanship, but that is not the only thing. He also brings baggage. Particularly in the rehearsal video clips, I see a plethora of show dance technique that Kym must weekly struggle to have him unlearn. His "unlearning" curve must certainly be as steep and his learning curve. He occasionally fails, but there is every indication that his effort is honest, even perhaps passionate.

    This is no defense of Donny. Personally, I don't care for him or the Osmond family. To state they are both "pros" while true, trivializes dance as a highly evolved skill and art form. Each is a professional performer. Beyond that, in my view, their "dance" backgrounds are so different as to not honestly be comparable.

  6. #216
    FORT Fogey albean99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,285

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3756202;
    After we saw Mya's resume as posted on her thread, by far the majority of us concluded that someone who choreographed her dance on this show (as seen in a rehearsal clip), had danced with Michael Jackson, in the Lincoln Center, and in the musical Chicago, etc., was head and shoulders professionally above Donnie and anyone else who had ever been on this show who just incorporated dance into or as part of their career: dance on skates, dance as part of a boy band, dance as part of gymnastics, or dance as a cheerleader, etc.
    She is literally a professional dancer.

    IMO, there is a vast difference between the general type of softshoe shuffle off to Buffalo step which just about anyone can do that Donnie has done when necessary in his career and the jazz/contemporary dancing that is done in a broadway musical or in a Micheal Jackson number.
    ITA, Bloomers.

    My hope is that popularity wins out this season. I think it's even possible although not probable that Mya will finish 3rd much like Stacy Kiebler did in season 2. If I remember right it was the play it safe freestyle dance that did them in. I've been predicting Mya as the shock boot at 3rd or 4th most of the season so why stop now?

    Edited to add - thanks for the insight, Peacheater. It's interesting to hear it from the perspective of an actual ballroom dancer.
    Last edited by albean99; 11-24-2009 at 09:44 AM.

  7. #217
    FORT Fan Peacheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    316

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3756218;
    ...open yourself up and be vulnerable...
    That, friend, is one brilliant observation. It's compelling in its simplicity.

    Vulnerability is the essential quality which creates the performer/audience connection whether it be music, dance, art or simple everyday human existence (including trial law). It is the thing which takes us beyond the quality of the result and creates in each of us a response which says "I want more of you!" (not "more from you")

    Mya may well be a wonderful and warm person to those to whom she opens her emotional wall. Unfortunately, on DWTS, that does not appear to include the viewing audience.

  8. #218
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    583

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    I sent my online votes to Donny as well. I really hope that he can pull off the win.

  9. #219
    FORT Fogey graycat11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3755823;
    Donny says he's a quarter century older than Mya and Kelly, and Kym rubs in he could be their father
    Kym's correct and he got married at 20. He is a grandfather of 2.

  10. #220
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    [mod edit] I really do think so many times it comes down to the freestyle - unless the winner is just so out of reach of the others (like Kristi and Brooke). That's why Shawn won last year. And after watching the freestyles last night and listening to the judges comments - my thought was that Donny just won himself the trophy. I do hope I am right - either he or Kelly would be great (but once I heard the final points last night, I couldn't imagine a scenario where Kelly really got anything other than third - still something she should be extremely proud of).
    Last edited by Critical; 11-24-2009 at 01:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.