+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 11/23 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

SDL,

After your comments upthread regarding Mya ( many I do agree with) , I especially focused on her legs. I didn't find them fat at all, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3756119;
    When I watched Mya's paso, I thought it was a complete mess - out of sync, uninspiring, sloppy, a real letdown. Then the judges started talking about it being one of the greatest ever, and I not only knew that they sucked as judges but that they were predestined to give her a 30 no matter what.
    I give no deference to the judges scores - if you've watched this show for a long time and can stay somewhat objective, you know the good dances from the bad ones...and can usually predict the scores in advance, except when the judges play obvious favorites.
    In all fairness, Kelly's freestyle was worse than scored, and Mya's freestyle was criticized by all of the judges but still got a 27. So it appears that nobody can do worse than an 8 in the finals, and the absolute floor for Mya is a 9. If she's less than awful, she gets a 10.
    The exchange between her and Dmitry over who's choreography to use in the freestyle made my blood boil, not only because it's ridiculous for a contestant to choreograph her own dance, but because I knew she would wear Dmitry out if she deigned to let him do his job and the result was less than perfect.
    I think Donny has a chance. His freestyle really was entertaining. Way to go Kym.
    I was on the plane tonight and didn't get to see the show, but I have heard enough about the freestyles that I am going to make sure that I see them before tomorrow night.

I have only read the last few pages, but it sounds like the majority do not feel like Mya and Dmitry's freestyle was good at all. Donnie's, on the other hand, was really good.

If I had to guess, 'sweetheart and give it her all', Kelly, is going to come in 3rd so that you have a run-off between a male and a female. Isn't that what we usually have?

Next.....Last season Gilles was the favorite of the judges - all three of them. It was obvious by the comments made and the scores given. I believe that Gilles was the judges' pick; however, Shawn had a really good freestyle, a widely known large fan base and, sdl, you know about the 'dirty votes' issue. I believe that taken care all of that suggests that for several reasons Shawn was the producers' pick.

With that in mind, I think there is a shot that with Donny's strong freestyle, known reputation as an overall hardworking, good guy, and his strong showing in a major fan poll, he might possibly end up as the producers' pick in the same manner that Shawn did last season, and Brooke did the season that she danced.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

[mod edit]

Might? They will. They can't back Mya all season and give the disrespecting ungrateful pro all the undeserved hype and scores and bail on her now. That'd make them look silly. I guess the show wants to make sure her reaction is somewhat genuine tomorrow when she's announced the winner, after being the only one to say the trophy is hers. I had a hard time getting through for Donny on the phone, so hopefully DI is wrong. But at this point, anybody but Mya for the win. I feel like the show has ulterior motives for Mya winning. I don't think they'll have any problem now with her being described as what she is-a professional dancer and choreographer who managed to outdance her own pro partner and who took charge on some routines.

And Len said Mya's paso was his favorite next to Mel/Maks. Frankly, nothing will ever touch Mel's paso. Since then, other couples have tried to imitate it with the same costuming and everything, but they need to get more original.
    Last edited by Critical; 11-24-2009 at 02:45 PM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3756125;
    SDL,

After your comments upthread regarding Mya ( many I do agree with) , I especially focused on her legs. I didn't find them fat at all, though.
    It's not like her legs are tree trunks or anything, but she is so petite everywhere else that her legs (thighs) look really fat for her body. At least that's what I see......and it was actually my daughter who first pointed it out.
    My daughter and a couple of others asked why they didn't cover those things up better.
    But if I'm wrong, I can accept it. It's not the worst of her faults.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3756138;
    It's not like her legs are tree trunks or anything, but she is so petite everywhere else that her legs (thighs) look really fat for her body. At least that's what I see......and it was actually my daughter who first pointed it out.
    My daughter and a couple of others asked why they didn't cover those things up better.
    But if I'm wrong, I can accept it. It's not the worst of her faults.
    SDL--hi.

Those are tapdancer's thighs.

And that's all muscle--mostly the quads.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3756137;
    Might? They will. They can't back Mya all season and give the disrespecting ungrateful pro all the undeserved hype and scores and bail on her now. That'd make them look silly. I guess the show wants to make sure her reaction is somewhat genuine tomorrow when she's announced the winner, after being the only one to say the trophy is hers. I had a hard time getting through for Donny on the phone, so hopefully DI is wrong. But at this point, anybody but Mya for the win. I feel like the show has ulterior motives for Mya winning. I don't think they'll have any problem now with her being described as what she is-a professional dancer and choreographer who managed to outdance her own pro partner and who took charge on some routines.
    I wouldn't worry about DI's totals at all. If you look at the raw numbers, you'll see it's literally roughly 300-400 votes (last I checked) attempted to be cast for each couple. The sample size is too small, and I never saw the numbers change after maybe 10:30pm EST. Say I had used that program: I got through 5 times for Donny & Kym eventually, but I got roughly 50 busy signals in the process. That alone is a large enough number in that sample to alter the results.

The way I understood the formula, judges' scores don't matter quite as much as people think they do. From what I remember, they add all the points up given to all couples for the whole night, and then calculate a percentage of total points for each couple (i.e. Couple X got 23% of the judges' total points awarded for the night, for example). That's then added to their percentage of the fan voting to get a total percentage.

If that is in fact the formula and I figured it right, Donny can literally beat Mya by getting roughly 0.8-0.9% higher in the fan vote. Even if she gets scored slightly higher than him tomorrow night, he can still beat her.

IMO, I think he's got a great shot to win it. A flop freestyle is very dangerous for any couple, no matter how much the judges drool over them.

I enjoyed the show and I loved Mya & Dimtry. I used all 15 email addresses and 4 telephone numbers to vote for Mya. Donny and Kelly did well also.

Mya for the win she is the best dancer and she has earned the win! I am looking forward to the Dance off with Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDll;3756124;
    That's exactly what I did. Go Donny and Kym!
    Ha. More like:

"Go Kym!
    Be thankful you are along for the ride, Donny!"

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3756142;
    I wouldn't worry about DI's totals at all. If you look at the raw numbers, you'll see it's literally roughly 300-400 votes (last I checked) attempted to be cast for each couple. The sample size is too small, and I never saw the numbers change after maybe 10:30pm EST. Say I had used that program: I got through 5 times for Donny & Kym eventually, but I got roughly 50 busy signals in the process. That alone is a large enough number in that sample to alter the results.

The way I understood the formula, judges' scores don't matter quite as much as people think they do. From what I remember, they add all the points up given to all couples for the whole night, and then calculate a percentage of total points for each couple (i.e. Couple X got 23% of the judges' total points awarded for the night, for example). That's then added to their percentage of the fan voting to get a total percentage.

If that is in fact the formula and I figured it right, Donny can literally beat Mya by getting roughly 0.8-0.9% higher in the fan vote. Even if she gets scored slightly higher than him tomorrow night, he can still beat her.

IMO, I think he's got a great shot to win it. A flop freestyle is very dangerous for any couple, no matter how much the judges drool over them.
    I know DI is not usually correct, and I haven't really paid much attention to it this season. But it wouldn't be the first time it says one thing and vote #1 says another. They were right on Natalie and Louie being booted Hopefully vote #1 doesn't let me down.

At least for now, the finale is somewhat interesting. I'm anxious for next season to start already, but am ready for this season to be over with as well. I still expect Mya to win. Something about their freestyle bugs. Either it was really, really good in rehearsal, Mya knows its in the bag for her, or she really doesn't care about winning. Because I can't believe she'd go along with it, or that Dmitry would choreograph something like that when they really had a bigger advantage. They did look somewhat surprised (more Dmitry, as usual) that the judges didn't like it but I think Mya expected it. Still, they got the scores to keep them barely at the top. I know they added the judges only votes for the last dance to potentially stop a Kelly Monaco win. I want Donny or Kelly to win more for their partners. Neither get much respect on this show and have had their ups and downs. If Kym comes in 2nd again I'm going to wonder what it'll take to finally win it for her. Hopefully Mya's "that trophy is mine" comment comes back to bite her. Hey, it did for Louie and I think Aaron when they said they weren't going home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3756073;

I mean--Mya wouldn't miss him because she is waaay too self-involved when she dances.

THAT's it! I've been trying to figure out the whole season why she seems so bland and it's the total lack of chemistry or regard for her partner. she acts like he's beneath her. Plus, she never really connected with him. During those sexy latin dances, she was just dancing. She wasn't feeling it and she wasn't dancing with Dmitri. She was dancing around him. He was just a prop for her all season.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread