+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 11/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3751877;
    My last note was emotional. This one will try to be entirely logical.
    The producers have a tough elimination on their hands, or so it appears....unless you do the math.
    From an "entertainment" standpoint, while they are clearly the best dancers, can anyone fathom Mya vs. Joanna together in the finale? No way. Two rather cold personalities with very little name recognition and thin professional resumes. They are both divas - can't have both. It will never happen.
    They have to find a way to keep Donny so there's at least one male in the final three, and at least one known star. I strongly suspect the fan vote, real or "audited," will be enough to pull up his bad scores.
    Kelly had her best night, and is a fan favorite. She's a great story line. They will generally let someone like that make it into the final 3. Truthfully, she was slightly overscored tonight to get her past the elimination. They need her enthusiasm.
    Kelly + Donny = RATINGS.
    With the judges' slobbering tonight, Mya is bulletproof in this week's elimination. Nothing we can do about that.
    CONCLUSION: Joanna will almost certainly be eliminated tomorrow night. I think she deserves better, but she's had a nice run. They even foreshadowed it with her comments tonight about how she never thought she would make it this far.
    This is the formula for the show. Donny and Kelly add suspense, but I'll be shocked if it's anyone but Joanna eliminated tomorrow night..
    You summed it up wonderfully. Kelly is the story line, Donny is the fan favorite, and I'd call Mya an underdog except she's a professional dancer already who shouldn't be there. So no. She's just filler. But the producers seem to be in love with her, for whatever reason, which I'm hoping means will lead to the pro dancer losing next week to the 2 amateurs who've had to actually work their butts off and didn't have her advantage. Her alone in the final 2 is enough to bore me. I think the show has tried to prop her up to the fans as something she's not, or rather she's not being received like they're dishing her out.

I won't be entirely surprised if either Mya or Joanna goes tomorrow. Obviously when it comes to fan base issues, it is very possible Donny and Kelly have them beat there. And assuming the producers don't tinker with the results, one of them could very well go home tomorrow. I'd rather Mya just because she bores me worse than Joanna, doesn't have to work on anything, and has a partner that equally bores me unlike Derek. Besides, considering Derek, Julianne, or Mark has always made the finals since season 4, this would be the first season since those 4 joined without any of them being in it. Mya's bulletproof, and I think Donny is definitely going to have the fan votes to save him. So it may come down to Kelly or Joanna.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3751910;
    Funny you should say that.......
    I was watching the show tonight with a mix of male and female friends, and the most common remark was how completely lacking in sexuality Mya is - of course, warmth is key to sexuality, and it was also pointed out that she had zero personal warmth toward anyone. It's like she's dancing alone.
    This is where the judges are blowing it. They even took Brooke Burke to task for not having a real connection with her partner or the audience, and Brooke was a firebrand compared with Mya.
    You nailed it. Mya's world is Mya. She makes me miss Aaron, sort of.
    SDL--interesting that you and your friends had similar thoughts tonighjt.

Maybe it was extra-apparent because of the passion and fervency of the other contestants?

BTW--I have felt sorry for Dmitry this entire season--it is as though he is not even there. He reminds me of the specialized kind of chair that some people have in their bedrooms that they can hang their clothes on.

That is how Mya seems to see him. And she walks all over him all the time in terms of choreography. I'd call her a b***-b**ter except I think that's way too strong a word for how she feels/does not feel about or for him.

I don't usually bad mouth DWTS contestants in this way but I am really struck by the lack of emotional content in either her dancing or in her persona.

I admit that my first thought tonight during their first dance was that Mya is only attracted to women but then it became clear that she seems not to be attracted to anyone.

Very odd how strong a sense one gets of this asexuality and lack of human warmth from her dancing.....

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3751909;
    Velvet,

I didn't see every minute, but I'm positive Tony did not dance. My understanding is that he'll be on the results show tomorrow with Melissa from last season. That's what Tom said.
    Thanks! And yes, I knew about Tuesday night, but thanks again...
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3751913;
    Wow I just may have to vote just for the heck of it to give Mya more votes. Poor thing gets grief for coming on dancing with the stars because "gasp"becaus she has danced before. A show that makes no rule that states you must be some virgin dancer with two left feet.

Then when the show does the annual celebrity background story she gets accused of coming forth with her background to come clean as if she has committedsome sacred tacky glitterball crime. Anyone who has ever seen Mya knew she was an accomplished dancer. A could of google searches is all it took so how is she hiding anything?

I enjoyed watching her and frankly every star this season including Joanna who I loathe. I guess I am going to use up all ten email address and both cellphones for my girl Mya! You go Girl!

I miss Michael Irvin. Could Donny look anymore like Quagmire from Family guy tonight?
    If one were to start from the premise that they "loathe" Joanna, and mock Donny Osmond's appearance, then it's not a big step to go on to say that Mya's past, regardless of what she did, is no big deal. That assessment seems more cultural than factual.
    But most of the criticisms of Mya are more intuitive, and seem to stem from her lack of magnetism, sincerity, graciousness, sexuality, and humility.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3751913;
    Wow I just may have to vote just for the heck of it to give Mya more votes. Poor thing gets grief for coming on dancing with the stars because "gasp"becaus she has danced before. A show that makes no rule that states you must be some virgin dancer with two left feet.

Then when the show does the annual celebrity background story she gets accused of coming forth with her background to come clean as if she has committedsome sacred tacky glitterball crime. Anyone who has ever seen Mya knew she was an accomplished dancer. A could of google searches is all it took so how is she hiding anything?

I enjoyed watching her and frankly every star this season including Joanna who I loathe. I guess I am going to use up all ten email address and both cellphones for my girl Mya! You go Girl!

I miss Michael Irvin. Could Donny look anymore like Quagmire from Family guy tonight?
    The "show makes no rule..." Damning with faint praise?

The problem I have is in the fraud in which Mya herself must have participated. At the beginning of the season, the details of her dance background and experience vanished from her website. Clearly she could not remove the information about her Harlem dance education from everywhere, including the extended bio on the Kennedy Center's website which still shows Mya's solo dance performance at the Kennedy, a major national stage.

While I find her to be a very accomplished technical dancer, I find such behavior unconscionable and unworthy of my support. With a little warmth of personality (maybe more than a little), Mya could easily replace Carrie Ann or one of the female professional dancers.

If Mya should win, the producers are going to find themselves confronting very many dance professionals who have been complaining to each other for weeks about the patently unfair deck-stacking with a dance professional among a sea of amateurs. I'd hate to think that the future quality of pro dance support to the show would diminish to the present level of the "fabulous band."

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3751928;
    If one were to start from the premise that they "loathe" Joanna, and mock Donny Osmond's appearance, then it's not a big step to go on to say that Mya's past, regardless of what she did, is no big deal. That assessment seems more cultural than factual.
    But most of the criticisms of Mya are more intuitive, and seem to stem from her lack of magnetism, sincerity, graciousness, sexuality, and humility.
    well my nephew and son who are both in their twenties find her to be very sexy and if tongues could wag these two young men did while she was dancing. According to my son HD was made for women like Mya. I enjoy her more than Joanna who always looks like she sucked on bad fish.

Go Mya!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3751923;
    BTW--I have felt sorry for Dmitry this entire season--it is as though he is not even there. He reminds me of the specialized kind of chair that some people have in their bedrooms that they can hang their clothes on.

Very odd how strong a sense one gets of this asexuality and lack of human warmth from her dancing.....
    Love the analogy about the chair.
    I grew up as a hick and we country danced almost weekly from the time we were barely teenagers. I feel sorry for those who didn't grow up like this because there is no faster, more legitimate way to break through the barriers and get to know someone than dancing in a close and romantic, but respectful way. You smell their hair, feel the small of their back, notice the softness of their touch.....or you don't. It's chemistry, and it's pretty automatic. Some very attractive people dance like your spinster aunt, and there's about as much attraction there.
    There is an old country saying, "They dance well together." What it means is that all people have a natural cadence - if they move effortlessly well together, it's almost a sure sign of compatibility. I have broken up with girls because they were all over my feet....but it really wasn't the dancing. It was that our natural rhythms were not in sync - in all phases of life but demonstrated by how we moved together on the dance floor.
    I think that's what the judges are talking about when they express concern about partners "connections" on this show. They may even have the steps down, but if there's no chemistry, everyone can feel it.
    Mya should never go to a barn dance. She should stick to hip hop routines in which she dances by herself. That's where she leaves her chemistry.
    Last edited by sdl; 11-17-2009 at 03:03 AM.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Does anyone else have "One Bad Apple" in their heads now? I always thought Marie should have choreographed her freestyle to "I'm a Little Bit Country" and played off that. But she blew it. I don't necessarily think Donny should, but he did look so comfortable dancing to "One Bad Apple." I love watching Donny. The Osmonds were always expected to be the "One Take Osmonds" and there was a lot of pressure for perfection. You can see that in Donny. I put all my votes behind him. He got 30 out of me. I hope it's enough because I would much prefer someone who tries to win.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Quote Originally Posted by yourefired;3751933;
    Does anyone else have "One Bad Apple" in their heads now? I always thought Marie should have choreographed her freestyle to "I'm a Little Bit Country" and played off that. But she blew it. I don't necessarily think Donny should, but he did look so comfortable dancing to "One Bad Apple." I love watching Donny. The Osmonds were always expected to be the "One Take Osmonds" and there was a lot of pressure for perfection. You can see that in Donny. I put all my votes behind him. He got 30 out of me. I hope it's enough because I would much prefer someone who tries to win.
    One bad apple was a favorite when I was a teen. It make me feel so old now,lol.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3751923;
    SDL--interesting that you and your friends had similar thoughts tonighjt.

Maybe it was extra-apparent because of the passion and fervency of the other contestants?

That is how Mya seems to see him. And she walks all over him all the time in terms of choreography. I'd call her a b***-b**ter except I think that's way too strong a word for how she feels/does not feel about or for him.

I don't usually bad mouth DWTS contestants in this way but I am really struck by the lack of emotional content in either her dancing or in her persona.

I admit that my first thought tonight during their first dance was that Mya is only attracted to women but then it became clear that she seems not to be attracted to anyone.

Dmitry's probably glad to have gone all the way this season. But I can't imagine any of the other male pros taking so lightly to their partner stepping up and choreographing the routines and telling them how it needs to be done. What you said about Dmitry, interesting because last week when they did their foxtrot (or the week before, whatever it was) when he was crawling on the floor and she was on his back-that's all I thought of him as, some prop like she was giving a show and he was her back up. Underneath it all I still think she's got a sense of arrogance and entitlement.

She should stick to hip hop routines in which she dances by herself. That's where she leaves her chemistry.
    I'm already dreading next week when she and Dmitry do their freestyle. Chances are, they'll go last (because you know the judges will have to be falling out of their seats in amazement at her). CA loves her hip hop, and if she had her way, would probaby turn this show into Hip Hop with the Stars. So I can already hear the overpraising and overscoring coming.

+ Reply to Thread