+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3745081;
    This franchise is flopping right now, and I think everything should be on the table for discussion. If they don't take notice that 2 of the 3 judges make most people's skin crawl, then that is simply bad business.
    The tolerance for what is at best mediocrity, ignorance of negative public reaction, and the complete lack of creativity, when the stakes are this high, are inexcusable.
    If the franchise is flopping right now it's because of ABC's own greed and overindulgence. Sixteen couples? Really? Really? I mean, talk about insanity and a complete disregard of what works and what doesn't. Padding the lineup with throwaways, to the exclusion of what the fans want, just to justify those miserable weekly 2 hour shows and more episodes is a pure money grab if I've ever seen one.

Nobody sitting on this side of a TV screen wanted sixteen third rate celebs battling it out on the show. That idea could only have sprung out of the mind of a money hungry numbers man at ABC. I consider half of the people cast this season to be like the freaks that American Idol and SYTYCD parade about during audition weeks. Perhaps ABC was eying AI and thinking: "Hey, why can't we have that sort of cushion to give us more show time?" And they went to town with all these worthless adds and twists that make zero sense.

The judges sucked on the previous 8 seasons already. The music has been beyond horrid since they've started out. Samantha has been consistently the worst set decoration they've had pretty much from the first show onward. In that regard, nothing has changed. To now suddenly blame the judges for the bad ratings when they're just doing what they've been doing all this time is neither fair nor right, IMO.

The only revolving door has "CAST" written on it and that's where I put the blame. Fire whoever cooked up casting 15 people + Tom DeLay and get a better lineup for next season; perhaps then the ratings will go back up.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Production cannot go wrong with keeping their finger on the pulse of things by reading the message boards as well as watching the ratings; however, we ALL know that the message boards tend at times to be a mass of contradictions. Although we tend to agree that the singers butcher songs, most people are irritated by Carrie Ann ( especially her obsession with lifts) and many people are annoyed by Samantha no matter what she wears or does, we widely differ on the contestants - who's the best, who's the worst, who needs to leave, who should stay, even who should be there at all. Therefore, the producers would be well within their rights to come back with, "You can't please every one," when it come to the contestants. The closest I have seen us come to agreeing on contestants is that Mya with her (disappearing) resume that clearly showed that she is a professional dancer/choreographer should not be competing against even Donnie with general dance in the old routine over the years let alone the rest of them.

All that said, the producers would do well to read the boards and to glean from them what they can to improve the show. There are definite trends of thoughts that do shine through, and if they are interested, they will be able to locate them and benefit from them.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3745158;
    If the franchise is flopping right now it's because of ABC's own greed and overindulgence. Sixteen couples? Really? Really? I mean, talk about insanity and a complete disregard of what works and what doesn't. Padding the lineup with throwaways, to the exclusion of what the fans want, just to justify those miserable weekly 2 hour shows and more episodes is a pure money grab if I've ever seen one.

Nobody sitting on this side of a TV screen wanted sixteen third rate celebs battling it out on the show. That idea could only have sprung out of the mind of a money hungry numbers man at ABC. I consider half of the people cast this season to be like the freaks that American Idol and SYTYCD parade about during audition weeks. Perhaps ABC was eying AI and thinking: "Hey, why can't we have that sort of cushion to give us more show time?" And they went to town with all these worthless adds and twists that make zero sense.

The judges sucked on the previous 8 seasons already. The music has been beyond horrid since they've started out. Samantha has been consistently the worst set decoration they've had pretty much from the first show onward. In that regard, nothing has changed. To now suddenly blame the judges for the bad ratings when they're just doing what they've been doing all this time is neither fair nor right, IMO.

The only revolving door has "CAST" written on it and that's where I put the blame. Fire whoever cooked up casting 15 people + Tom DeLay and get a better lineup for next season; perhaps then the ratings will go back up.
    This I can agree with. The judges aren't going anywhere, and considering CA has been on a lift brigade since season 5 (maybe earlier, but that's the first time I think anyone really noticed) I guess they figure if everything else fails, they have that. Where this season went wrong, and I think there's a few things, but it was the casting. I don't believe it was as much to avoid injuries as it was to be able to increase the episode to stay 2 hours longer than usual and rake in the adveritsing $$$. Tom Delay probably seemed like casting genius at the time but unlike other controversial casting choices of the past, this backfired big time because he was beyond being a polarizing figure that people would just want to tune out when he was onscreen. People just didn't watch, peroid. The show seems to have more competition Monday nights, too. 16 couples is just too many, I don't care if it's a A+ list cast. But if they are going to cast that many, they should have gotten more well known personalities. The ones that seemed popular (Chuck, Louie, and Kelly) are the ones that they probably cast to be early boots. I think they banked too much on Tom, Donny, the NFL/tween nostalgia factor that has helped seasons past, and expecting a Gilles out of the gate. Out of all the complaints this season, everyone says it's the casting.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3745158;

To be fair Samantha wasn't on the first season, her first show was the second season. Hard to believe but I think the other girl was more boring. She didn't make the mistakes Samantha does but that gives us something to complain about. Boring is worse IMO. But Samantha has been consistently bad since she started

Other than that I pretty much agree with what you've said. Too many people, too many new twists, too much judges getting a say-so on a show that's always been about viewer votes having the ultimate decision. They need to go back to what was working. This cast is not good. My favorites aren't the best dancers and the best dancers are boring (Mya) or annoying. I haven't been wowed by any of the dances. I realized last week after I rewound to watch the group tango that it's the first dance all season long I've done that for. Usually by now there are stand-out dances but so far I guess none that really sparked my attention. Not even by my favorites.

I think all of the really lousy people in the cast - the folks with no redeemable qualities at all - are gone now. It was a pretty rancid cast for far too long, but the right people have, for the most part, risen to the top.

Glad to see the universal annoyance with Carrie Ann Inaba. This lift thing has got to stop. I understand fussing about deliberate lapses in choreography rules, but she's trying to find ways to declare illegal lifts that aren't there, and she's developed tunnel vision about it. The two particular quotes from her that really set me against her were "I don't know why you chose to put a lift in there, I think that's disrespectful" back a season or two ago, (Why are you taking the mistake personally?) and "I'm going to call that a lift" from this year. (You are going to CALL that a lift? Is there some question? If it does not look like a deliberate lift, it's not a lift, at best it's a bobble.) That one issue has swallowed up everything else she does.

I think this is a reasonable final five. I understand the annoyance about Mya, but I suspect they choose at least one established dancer or two each year just to be sure that the whole show isn't awful from beginning to end as people like Tom DeLay stomp around. I don't really have a problem with that. It's not like it matters who wins, just whether we get to see some pretty dancing. I think Joanna's pretty good, Donny is GREAT, MUCH better than I was expecting after the trainwreck that was his sister, and Aaron's dancing is as competent as his personality is grating. Kelly is about to wear out her welcome, but I'm not scandalized that she got this far.

However, in previous weeks there was too much chaff to get to this small skein of wheat we have now. It's ridiculous that Michael and Louie only recently got eliminated. I think I understand why they created the double eliminations, because they wanted to have some cushion for injured contestants that have to drop out, but I don't think they need three of them. The dance-off is downright rigged and objectionable. It needs to go. I actually agreed that Aaron deserved to outlast Mark based solely on last week's dancing, but the sense that Mark was doomed before he began his dance-off did not sit well with me.

I am among those who really likes Derek Hough. He just seems to be the most skilled male pro dancer out there - crispest moves, most interesting choreography. Now, I don't think he's got a great future as a rap star, and I don't know what the heck that all was about, but I like to watch him dance. Agreed that he usually gets the better female celebs.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

This week on the results show is Design a Dance (eh), Dance Center (), and a bunch of pro numbers with Jonathan/Anna (dancing to Michael Buble), Susan Boyle (I think Tony and Chelsie are dancing to her) and Maks/Cheryl dancing to the Bee Gees. Louis's been doing a lot of the choreography for the pro numbers this season, which has been a treat, and I hope a good season Louis will be a more permanent regular on the show, rather than a season here, 3 seasons off, and another season. He's done so well with Kelly as well, and I'll be voting like crazy for them to make it to the semis. I'm also happy Jonathan/Anna have done a lot of pro numbers and hope Anna becomes more of a regular again as well. Less flashy Macy's dance numbers, more dances with our pros, better musical guests than seasons past-at least this season has done something right

+ Reply to Thread