+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/03 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3743274;
    VoteNumber1 had Aaron next-to-last in online voting percentage, with 6.6%. With the exception of Michael, everyone else had at least double that. So yes, I believe Aaron was indeed in the bottom three.

Mya, on the other hand, had 25.51% of the VoteNumber1 tally, so it is no surprise she was safe.

Can you point me to the fine print you speak of? It does not run at the end of any show - I have them TiVo'd and just double checked. It is not on the DWTS explanation of how voting works. Steve Wozniak publicly doubted the tabulated results, which resulted in Conrad Green inviting him to view first-hand how the process works, after which Wozniak remarked on how completely professional it is and apologized for his prior doubts.

I was on the ABC Board on a rather serious thread (surprise, surprise) where people with professional backgrounds were discussing different aspects of the show. One of the posters who showed quite a bit of technical knowledge had worked for ABC in the advertising/public relations department. She had already come at the advertising much the same as SDL has, and she went further into how and why focus is centered on certain people. When the issue of whether the voting is a straight shot came up, this poster very calmly answered that this was an entertainment show, and that the producers "reserved" the right to insure certain outcomes in order to produce the most entertaining package ( or something very similar). When questioned further, she said that it was "in the fine print". Someone else verified it.
    Now, when Shawn's contract was made public last season, I waded through the whole thing, and sure enough, the contract in a bunch of legalese does insure that the contestant understands that the show and is producers has the sole right over results.

Again... I point you to the fact that unlike American Idol, we never hear DWTS announce that any outside firm has verified the results.
    If I were a betting person, I would lay money that is not due to the fact that the show or its producers do not have the funds to pay an accounting firm to verify their results.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3743385;
    Forget about her past, can you?? You obviously have never liked her. I am talking about the present day, not her past, what I see on this show.

Graycat--hi. I guess I'm lucky because I didn't see the Osbourne reality show--only heard a little about it. So I didn't "know" Kelly at all until I saw her dance for the first time on DWTS.

I am impressed by her willingness to try so many new things and to overcome her obivous lack of confidence to try to do her best under very daunting conditions.

She may not be the 'best" dancer this season--but for me she is surely one of the most inspirational.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Here are the dances for next week, and it sounds like the Latin dances will each have their own decade theme to it:

Aaron/Karina: Foxtrot/Samba (the 90s)
    Donny/Kym: Viennese Waltz/Paso Doble (the 80s)
    Kelly/Louis: Foxtrot/Jive (not confirmed but I'm going to guess the 60s)
    Joanna/Derek: Quick step/Paso Doble (Derek says it'll be a futuristic PD)
    Mya/Dmitry: Quick step/Samba (the 70s and apparently their samba will be danced to a song by the Partridge Family)

Bloomers, in regard to what you posted, I can buy that, which is I think Donny may get set up for a loss because it be a bigger headline that he loses to Mya or Joanna. I don't trust their judgement, however, on what they deem as entertaining, and tend to roll my eyes when the judges berate the fans for voting the way they did (next time Bruno or CA says 'you guys need to vote' I'm waiting for Tom to say 'but they did'). I think Natalie got set up, and I also question Louie and Mark leaving. I personally don't find anything entertaining or endearing about Mya, Joanna, or Aaron, but if the show thinks there's something to them being left, its their call.

And even though AI may reveal their vote count, I wouldn't put it past them to tinker with their votes.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.

I never saw the Osbourne show, either, so I knew nothing about Kelly. I do very much enjoy her and her fortitude. I do think, though, that she needs to step it up a bit as she seems to have plateaued about 3 weeks ago.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

My thoughts on last night's results:
    It seemed pretty obvious that Michael should have left.
    And Mark's dance was a hot mess.
    Aaron has alot of people not lovin him, so that's his problem.

Based on dancing ability, Kelly should have left. People like her because they are buying into her "sweet" act. Ha!

The only problem with the judges saving Aaron, instead of Mark, is that he doesn't have the fan base to get out of the bottom. Obviously, when the guy has a 29, and still winds up in the bottom, the fans aren't behind him. Why not just let him go and move on?

FORT Fogey

Noreality--I agree with you. I don't know if the dances she is doing for next week are going to help her do this--but I hope so. I too think Kelly needs to push herself up to the next level.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3743458;
    I was on the ABC Board on a rather serious thread (surprise, surprise) where people with professional backgrounds were discussing different aspects of the show. One of the posters who showed quite a bit of technical knowledge had worked for ABC in the advertising/public relations department. She had already come at the advertising much the same as SDL has, and she went further into how and why focus is centered on certain people. When the issue of whether the voting is a straight shot came up, this poster very calmly answered that this was an entertainment show, and that the producers "reserved" the right to insure certain outcomes in order to produce the most entertaining package ( or something very similar). When questioned further, she said that it was "in the fine print". Someone else verified it.
    Now, when Shawn's contract was made public last season, I waded through the whole thing, and sure enough, the contract in a bunch of legalese does insure that the contestant understands that the show and is producers has the sole right over results.

Again... I point you to the fact that unlike American Idol, we never hear DWTS announce that any outside firm has verified the results.
    If I were a betting person, I would lay money that is not due to the fact that the show or its producers do not have the funds to pay an accounting firm to verify their results.
    If it is in any fine print - and that is a big if - it is neither on the ABC website nor in the closing credits of the TV show - it wouldn't be for "entertainment" purposes but to take action if fraud is detected. Steve Wozniak said the show has ways to ferret out possible computer voting fraud - the very thing he had posited someone could make a computer program to do - and the fail-safe mechanisms included checking the phone results against the internet results. He said they should track fairly closely.

The lack of an outside accounting firm does not bother me in the least. Neither does the legal language in the cast contract other than the harsh potential financial penalties provided therein for certain types of default.

Here is an example of fine print ("No Liability" down at the bottom) that is boilerplate to protect the entity against exigencies: Dancing with the Stars - Yahoo7

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundmom;3743384;
    So true - he's only 21??? Yikes!

I'm rooting for Kelly and Louie at this point. She may not be the best dancer, but I watch the show for entertainment, and her intros and dancing make me smile the most. And she and Louie really seem to like eachother. I didn't come into this a Donny fan at all, but he's now my second pick. All the others...bleh.

I normally love the show, but I've kind of lost interest in this season.
    Yup, Kelly is my first pick. If she doesn't win it, I wouldn't be upset if Donny did. I was not a fan, either, but really, Donny is so much more palatable (sp?) than Marie. He's grown on me.

As for Kelly being a bratty, mouthy teenager.....weren't we all? I was grounded constantly as a teenager because of mouthin' off. The difference is...we didn't have the world watching.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Just a bit of a Princess MadelynneRabb's Avatar

Well, it's been fun, but with Mark D. leaving, I really don't have much other reason to watch the show. I realize that with the week Mark had, it showed in his dancing, and while he would have survived a regular week, the double elimination was just too big a hurdle to jump. But the other couples (save Louie and Chelsie) haven't been sparking my interest at all, and so it's time to cut my losses. It's been a ride reading the recaps and everybody's comments, and I hope that you all have fun with the rest of the season.
    I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can, even if there isn't any Narnia." -- Puddleglum, "The Silver Chair"

"Don't smoke. Don't drink and drive. And pay your taxes. Because they will find you." -- James, Big Brother 6

I don't like that the judges can save a couple from elimination. I don't like Aaron and really looked forward to him leaving. He's consistently in the bottom even when his scores are high. Why can't the judges take the hint that America doesn't enjoy watching the kid dance?

Also, I want Joanna gone. I'll be so irritated if Derek wins this year.

I hate how the judges have obvious favorites.

I wanted Mark and lacey in the final three. I'm really dissapointed.

+ Reply to Thread