+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

If you watch the reaction from Mario and Karina when they lost to Emmitt and Cheryl, that left a sour taste in many people's mouths. I can remember someone in the episode saying it best, Mario looked ready with his acceptance speech and had the smug of a guy who thought he had already won. That was Karina's first season, and she was crying on ET about losing and how she thought they should have won. They didn't really have many congratulatory words for Emmitt and Cheryl right after the announcement. That was the first season I recall their being the ringer argument and the first fan war between Emmitt and Mario. It was obvious early on it was going to come down to those 2 in the end, similar to season 4 and Joey vs Apolo. That was the first case of, do you want to see a dancer dance or someone learning to dance? Looking back, I enjoy Mario a lot more now. I can't say I was entirely anti-Mario then, either.

What I recall about Mario was that he and Karina decided that they would do exactly what they wanted, empahsize showmanship, and ignore the rules of their particular dance whenever it suited them. He was definitely a good dancer, but judges and viewers were into seeing the dances as they were supposed to be done than they are now.

My preference for the finals would include Donny and Mark. I can deal with Michael, Kelly, and even Aaron and Mya hanging around. But please get Joanna off the screen. She is nauseating.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3738398;
    The other person who blew me away, I'm talking Gilles Marini type talent, was Mario Lopez. The Karina thing kind of grosses me out, but Mario danced better than many pros.
    I know Emmitt Smith was more popular so he won, but I also have sensed that some people around here were not enamored with Mario.
    Since I am learning this history for the first time, could someone tell me why Mario was not that well liked?
    I'm not sure why, but I've disliked Mario since he was a child actor. I've always found there to be something intangibly unpleasant about him. With all that, I still thought he should have won his season and he stands alone as the only person I've ever voted for on this show - and that's because I knew that a lot of people were voting against him.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3738579;
    I'm not sure why, but I've disliked Mario since he was a child actor. I've always found there to be something intangibly unpleasant about him. With all that, I still thought he should have won his season and he stands alone as the only person I've ever voted for on this show - and that's because I knew that a lot of people were voting against him.
    Putting aside the background, I've now blown most of my afternoon watching past seasons and, as I've said, the people who looked like they were in a class by themselves were Gilles Marini, Mario Lopez and Sabrina Bryan. I'm sure there are others I missed but I have seen all of the "champions" and these 3 were clearly better....and none of them won it.
    The best dancer from this season, on his or her best day, wouldn't get past the first 2 weeks against a good collection of past losers.
    Last edited by sdl; 10-28-2009 at 10:22 PM.

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3738658;
    Putting aside the background, I've now blown most of my afternoon watching past seasons and, as I've said, the people who looked like they were in a class by themselves were Gilles Marini, Mario Lopez and Sabrina Bryan. I'm sure there are others I missed but I have seen all of the "champions" and these 3 were clearly better....and none of them won it.
    The best dancer from this season, on his or her best day, wouldn't get past the first 2 weeks against a good collection of past losers.
    You are so right about Gilles, Mario and Sabrina. They were the true champions of their seasons. Only ones this time who can 'kind of' compare are Mya or Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by BTW;3738670;
    You are so right about Gilles, Mario and Sabrina. They were the true champions of their seasons. Only ones this time who can 'kind of' compare are Mya or Mark.
    I wouldn't even put Mark that high. For me, there's still an element of grace missing from his dancing, as if he can't learn to relax his muscles or something.

Mya maybe, but I don't have any real emotional reaction while watching her dance, like I did with Gilles or Li'l Kim.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Premium Member

I also loved Joey Fatone's dancing as well, I especially remember his and Kym's jive.

I've been thinking for a long time now for these "audience votes" shows, and someone here beat me to posting it!, that we should be voting for who we want eliminated. That would send a much clearer picture to producers.

So CarrieAnn was a Flygirl and had nothing to do with ballroom. She needs to mature up a bit and stop rolling her eyes. Oh, and leave so we can get someone in there who KNOWS about ballroom.

Bruno adds nothing to the show but over the top drama, which grosses me out. Ugh.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I liked to watch Appollo and Julianne. I like the non dancers who give it all they have and come out winners. That was the year before Julianne seemed to get an 'attitude'...

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think when the whole Hough/Ballas trio came on and got such a reaction that the producers had their heads up their behinds to cater to their every need (or vice versa) is when I started getting tired of them. Julianne I started not caring for during season 7 with Cody. Looking back, and seeing Cody out partying it up in a recent magazine, I think she deserves an award Surprisingly she and Chuck didn't grate on my last nerve like I thought, though I don't think she pushed him like she did her other partners. Anyone know if they're still together? She and Apolo will probably always be one of my top 5 favorite pairings on this show ever, and I could watch their routines over and over again. Joey/Kym were a ton of fun, too. Any other season I'd probably root for Joey hands down to win.

+ Reply to Thread