+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

And......I'm officially grossed out by Mark Ballas. He dated Sabrina after the show, and I looked at these montage collections of photos of them cuddling and kissing. In every one, Sabrina is totally focused on Mark, and Mark is making a theatrical face or looking directly at the camera.
    He also overdanced even back then, trying to be the show, but Sabrina and later Kristi were so good it wasn't as obvious.
    It's weird how those images can completely push you over the edge on someone you're already kind of sick of, but trying to (slightly) defend.
    Mark has been a fame whore since day one, including his current relationship with the show pony who got kicked off of AI for not fully disclosing her professional career.
    I'm done with Mark. Least favorite pro.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I agree this season is weak. There's not a single dance this season that's been memorable for me - whereas I can recall specific dances from Season 2 on (when I started watching).

Season 3 week 8 was a Halloween theme - some very entertaining dances that week. I think I'll go back and watch some of those again.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3738295;
    This season is so weak that I have taken to watching performances from years past. A few observations:
    1. They used to have a different band director, and sounded better.
    2. It was weird seeing Julianne bring in Derek, who was not on the show yet, to help coach Apollo. Derek was cool then.
    3. Samantha was quieter, which was better, and wasn't so lean and muscular, which was hotter.
    4. I've always wondered what the big deal was with Sabrina Bryan - I didn't watch the show back then - but Holy Smokes! That girl was a better dancer on night one than most of the champions were in the finale. If you haven't watched her, check out her chacha and rumba on youtube. All I can say is wow, fabulous.
    Having said that, Sabrina was almost as much of a ringer as Mya - she danced on stage and in videos with the Cheetah girls. Kind of like Lance and Joey, except she totally got ballroom, instantly.
    And Sabrina puts Mya to shame, in terms of personality, dancing, likability, technique, showmanship, and interest level.
    So I guess not all ringers are created equal.
    When So You Think You Can Dance first came out, I saw the previews which showed a bunch of people dancing on their heads. That does nothing - absolutely zero - for me, so until last night when I was at someone else's house and saw the show for the first time, I did not realize how good we actually have it on DWTS. Their judge, Mary Murphy, totally puts Samantha and Carrie Ann with Paula Abdul thrown in for good measure to shame. That woman -Mary Murphy - with her megaphone voice for sure danced on every last nerve I have.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3738292;
    I think it's both. Of course, they have to make sure both end up in the DO. Imagine if Aaron and Mya ended up down there. The show alone knows how everyone is doing with the audience vote. I think last night's reaction, or lack there of, when Melissa was voted off, shows either how little interest people have in this season or that no one cared. I do think that there's manipulation with the outcome, and I tend to believe that's how they saved Michael over the big fan favorite Louie. And I realized Louie was in the bottom 2 but between the two, I think he had a better chance of getting through big time with the fan votes afte realizing he was that close to leaving. Anna D. took a safer approach with their DO, which paid off. I expect Michael to be in the DO again next week, and probably won't survive, because I think the judges want to save anyone else. I believe Michael has been in jeopardy these last few weeks. I don't believe Joanna was last week. I believe that mambo dance off was nothing more than a way to ensure their favorites were saved. I don't believe Aaron or Joanna are scoring well with the fan votes, and I don't think Kelly is, either. If they have to send Kelly home they'll probably curse the audience, cry, and package it as a shocker. I also agree with those who say Natalie got hosed, but I think she was a threat to their favorites. Why bother voting with this show?

Next week the team dances return, and it looks like I wasn't missing any couples, they are going to be uneven in numbers: Team Tango is reportedly Joanna/Derek, Donny/Kym, and Kelly/Louis. I don't know what the other team of Aaron/Karina, Michael/Anna, Mark/Lacey, and Mya/Dmitry are dancing.
    I saw on the motherboard someone mentioned the Samba. In my opinion, this team dance will be extremely unfair. Much easier to coordinate a group dance for a Tango then a Samba. AND, two the three on Team Tango already danced the AT. I think Michael (in his KO dance) is the only one to dance a Samba from that team.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3738295;
    This season is so weak that I have taken to watching performances from years past. A few observations:
    2. It was weird seeing Julianne bring in Derek, who was not on the show yet, to help coach Apollo. Derek was cool then.
    3. Samantha was quieter, which was better, and wasn't so lean and muscular, which was hotter.
    4. I've always wondered what the big deal was with Sabrina Bryan - I didn't watch the show back then - but Holy Smokes! That girl was a better dancer on night one than most of the champions were in the finale. If you haven't watched her, check out her chacha and rumba on youtube. All I can say is wow, fabulous.
    Having said that, Sabrina was almost as much of a ringer as Mya - she danced on stage and in videos with the Cheetah girls. Kind of like Lance and Joey, except she totally got ballroom, instantly.
    And Sabrina puts Mya to shame, in terms of personality, dancing, likability, technique, showmanship, and interest level.
    You crack me up! I am so used to your "inside information" posts that I sometimes forget you are a viewer like the rest of us who has an opinion!!

Yes, Sabrina was good - but I definitely remember the boards going crazy during her season about her being the ringer. There always seems to be one person each season who gets the fans up in arms - and Sabrina was it for her season.

As for Samatha - I agree. I think it was a response to being pregnant and getting back in shape afterwards. I don't know what it is with some new moms - they really feel like they have to go overboard after the baby is born - like they have something to prove!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3738360;
    I saw on the motherboard someone mentioned the Samba. In my opinion, this team dance will be extremely unfair. Much easier to coordinate a group dance for a Tango then a Samba. AND, two the three on Team Tango already danced the AT. I think Michael (in his KO dance) is the only one to dance a Samba from that team.
    I'm surprised they're doing the tango since they just did it last season. Could they really not find another dance to do? Not to mention they had the regular tango this season already, which Kelly did (and screwed up on). But I'm so lost on whose danced what and when and what's even been the dances, I think Michael is the only one from that team to have danced the samba. Plus, team tango has an advantage with Louis, Kym and Derek as choreographers and two dancers that have done very well in the judges rankings and Kelly who they love. I'm sure CA will point out like she always does that one couple saved team samba. And when Tom does the elimination, like seasons past, it's likely one entire team will be safe from elimination. Maybe that'll be good news for Kelly after all.

When So You Think You Can Dance first came out, I saw the previews which showed a bunch of people dancing on their heads. That does nothing - absolutely zero - for me, so until last night when I was at someone else's house and saw the show for the first time, I did not realize how good we actually have it on DWTS. Their judge, Mary Murphy, totally puts Samantha and Carrie Ann with Paula Abdul thrown in for good measure to shame. That woman -Mary Murphy - with her megaphone voice for sure danced on every last nerve I have.
    I've never had any interest in SYTYCD, but if I did, Mary is enough to turn that interest off completely She's a popular Joel McHale target on The Soup and that's more than enough for me to deal with. As much as I wouldn't miss CA, Samantha, or our band, I guess things could be worse.

DWTS 1-5, the Golden Years. How I kiss them. They've been repeating a lot of the same songs they've used in seasons past this season, and time hasn't done this band well. Listening to the two songs from the two seasons they were used on, the first time around was a lot better. I'm still wondering what the deal is with them repeating songs. I loved the quote from Apolo that said something like 'it's weird that Julianne dances this with her brother' referring to their rumba Derek helped out on I had heard Derek was asked and considered for season 4 but he turned it down. Rumor had it when he saw how big the show really was and how popular his sister became, then he wanted on. Season 5, after 3 consecutive seasons of male winners, they seemed destined to get a female winner, which is where Sabrina and Mel B came in, along with the over praising and scoring of Jane and Marie. The male side was totally lopsided. Albert Reed, who had a decent chance, left early for popularity reasons. Wayne Newton, Floyd Meywether, and Mark Cuban didn't stand a chance. Poor Cameron and Helio got dinged by the judges time and time again, but likeability and personality trumped better dancing in the end. This was the season where Maks hinted around that the judges have the ability to manipulate the outcome, and he believed fully he and Mel won but they went with the more popular couple.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3738376;

DWTS 1-5, the Golden Years. How I kiss them. They've been repeating a lot of the same songs they've used in seasons past this season, and time hasn't done this band well.
    The other person who blew me away, I'm talking Gilles Marini type talent, was Mario Lopez. The Karina thing kind of grosses me out, but Mario danced better than many pros.
    I know Emmitt Smith was more popular so he won, but I also have sensed that some people around here were not enamored with Mario.
    Since I am learning this history for the first time, could someone tell me why Mario was not that well liked?

I think some of Mario's 'not liked' had to do with his marriage to Ali Landry.
    They dated for like 6 years, got married and divorced 6 weeks later.
    Gossip based this on Mario cheating on her at his batchelor party (and other times)

Just doesn't endear a person, does it.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I was surprised to see Melissa at the very bottom. She wasn't very good this week, but I thought her fan base would be stronger.
    I liked Louie a lot, but the past few weeks, he didn't seem to do other than walking around with some backflips thrown in. I also thought he was starting to sound a bit smug. I think one of his biggest problems was dropping Chelsie. I've never seen a celeb accidentally drop someone like that. And, he didn't seem to be that bothered by it. I think Michael is really trying hard and I do feel the past 2 weeks he's done better than Louie.

I'm sorry to see Joanna still there. She's improving, but she has about the personality of a wet mop and is very annoying.

For SDL, not sure about all the talk of Mario back then. However, i will say that he was a performer since childhood and that included dancing, acting and singing. He wasn't quite Mya, but I'd rank him fairly close to Sabrina. He was anything but a novice when it came to dancing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3738398;
    The other person who blew me away, I'm talking Gilles Marini type talent, was Mario Lopez. The Karina thing kind of grosses me out, but Mario danced better than many pros.
    I know Emmitt Smith was more popular so he won, but I also have sensed that some people around here were not enamored with Mario.
    Since I am learning this history for the first time, could someone tell me why Mario was not that well liked?
    In addition to what schmoo said, Mario had a bit of an attitude when he was on the show - many felt he was not a very good sport (actually both he and Karina - that may have been her worst season for attitude). There was also the issue of him having previous dance experience - so the old ringer argument reared its ugly head for him too.

+ Reply to Thread