+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

SDLQUOTE " Mya has a bad attitude, fat legs, has danced professionally with Gregory Hines (seriously), and does not deliver the goods. The world may very well end if Mya wins."

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3737525;
    And sdl, do you really think they'll have 16 couples again next season? I know the idea that they'd scale back the length of the episodes and results shows won't happen because of $$$. But I can't believe they'd overinflate the cast again. Even a 16 member cast headlined by Tom Hanks, Cher, Bruce Springsteen, and Nicole Kidman would be too much.
    The short answer is I don't know.
    But do you ever have one of those "ah ha" moments when things suddenly become clear? I was talking to number cruncher this morning, and I said something like, "well, they'll sure want to scale it back next time since whoever couldn't make a decision between bad and worse, and brought us 16 couples, eh?'
    Number cruncher responded like I was a kid in short pants who actually bought the arguments that they were guarding against injuries and developing a wider appeal, and proceeded to explain the harsh realities of how they make money, stretching a one hour show into two for more advertising dollars, and it was obvious that the 16 couples idea was not an accident.
    They now know they messed up, so they may drop it to 14 or 15, but still enough to make sure that they can justify keeping it long and preserving those precious advertising slots.

So if people think Mark, Derek and Julianne have had too much success and someone else should now win, hypothetically speaking, does it follow that if any of them were half of the best performing couple, would people favor someone other than the best couple to win?

(The question intentionally excludes the concept of fans voting for their favorite "entertainment," which I recognize represents the opinion of many here.)

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3737566;
    The short answer is I don't know.
    But do you ever have one of those "ah ha" moments when things suddenly become clear? I was talking to number cruncher this morning, and I said something like, "well, they'll sure want to scale it back next time since whoever couldn't make a decision between bad and worse, and brought us 16 couples, eh?'
    Number cruncher responded like I was a kid in short pants who actually bought the arguments that they were guarding against injuries and developing a wider appeal, and proceeded to explain the harsh realities of how they make money, stretching a one hour show into two for more advertising dollars, and it was obvious that the 16 couples idea was not an accident.
    They now know they messed up, so they may drop it to 14 or 15, but still enough to make sure that they can justify keeping it long and preserving those precious advertising slots.
    The persistent rumor I'm hearing within the dance community is that the two hour Monday night format will remain, the number of celebs will drop slightly, and there will be some added professional performances added to Monday, perhaps to demonstrate dances to come during the season. The pros on the show love dancing, but all say learning pro-partner routines during the show season is difficult from a time-management perspective. There are lots of dancers across the country who would gladly perform for free simply for the exposure.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3737568;
    So if people think Mark, Derek and Julianne have had too much success and someone else should now win, hypothetically speaking, does it follow that if any of them were half of the best performing couple, would people favor someone other than the best couple to win?

(The question intentionally excludes the concept of fans voting for their favorite "entertainment," which I recognize represents the opinion of many here.)
    I believe I am in the minority here, but I want my favorite "star" to win - which is probably 2/3 talent and 1/3 likability.
    To me the pros are coaches, and while I like some better than others, I've never voted for or against a star because of their pro.
    The majority of the stars, I could not quickly off the top of my head tell you who they danced with.....ok, now I'm certain I am in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3737568;

I personally don't have an issue with them and think they are great dancers. But the part that does bug me is that it seems they get better partners season after season. Sure, each of them has had a dud. But then I look at people like Edyta and Johnathan and Tony who have been on season after season and other than one or two really good partners, they are consistently out pretty early. My understanding is that the pros are compensated weekly - meaning those that stay on longer get more money. I guess that is the part about that bothers me. But the reality is that I am not sure how that changes. They are three of the youngest pros. They are never going to pair Julianne with George Hamilton or Mark with Chloris Leachman. So I don't know what the answer is - but I would love to see some of the other pros get contenders. Even Chelsie, last season with Ty and Dimitry this season with Mya - they have been there two seasons and they have gotten "good" partners.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3737575;
    I believe I am in the minority here, but I want my favorite "star" to win - which is probably 2/3 talent and 1/3 likability.
    To me the pros are coaches, and while I like some better than others, I've never voted for or against a star because of their pro.
    The majority of the stars, I could not quickly off the top of my head tell you who they danced with.....ok, now I'm certain I am in the minority.
    I can't say I don't root for the pro. Enough to vote for them? Well, I haven't done that solely yet. But I'm ready to see Maks, Kym, Edyta, Anna T., Jonathan, and Tony finally take home the trophy. Heck, give Jonathan someone to get him past the first elimination! Derek and Mark have never had a partner they had to struggle with. Sure, Mark had Kim K. But when you put their pros and partners side by side, it's pretty lopsided. I believe Derek has a huge fan base, and believe that that is the only reason Joanna is still here. Did anyone know who she was before the show? Unless you heard of her from Superstars. But it's not like she's a huge known model. Of course I can't prove that. I also can't prove the judges have a love obsession with Derek and would give a broom a 10 if Derek danced with it. For me, the best dancer can be a bore. If I were having to vote for the best dancer, entertainment value aside, it'd be Mya. And if I had to vote for her, I probably wouldn't vote Even the judges give high scores or low scores for entertainment value (or lack of). I'm enjoying Kelly, Donny, and Louie. The rest? Eh.

I would love for Edyta, Jonathan and Tony to receive viable partners so that they can stay on longer.

I don't vote, couldn't be bothered, but if I voted it would be for the best dancer and not who I like. It would be wonderful if they happened to coincide, but that is not always the case. {sans of course Mya, who has far too much ability to be in with this cast}

FORT Regular

Finally got to see last night's Dancing....well, MOST of it. Due to Eagles football had to set the DVR to tape at 2 am. DVR is SUPPOSED to know the real start/stop times. Well, it didn't tape Donny & Kim and missed the whole Mambo dance-a-thon. Grrrrr!!! Verrry frustrating. We watched it on computer tape delay but it's not the same.

Have to say I was NOT impressed with what I did see. Thought Kelly's jitterbug was too slow, Mya's was just so-so and Louie DROPPED Chelsie---yikes! I love to watch an elegant waltz but didn't see any---even fast forwarded some of Joanna & Derek's!! Thought Michael looked improved and did love that Louie MOVED his feet. Afraid Melissa Jo is going home (boring...) not sure who else.

Really longing for last year's group----THEY were interesting and sexy Gilles was so nice to watch over and over and over!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Gilles is all I need to spice this season up. Anyway...

Always playing with conspiracy theories, I've noticed Mya has slipped a little in the last couple of weeks. I'm wondering if she's doing it on purpose more so she's not expected to up it more and more when she's already hit her peak. Aaron peaked and its been downhill for him, especially with the fan votes (which probably has more to do with things outside the show than his dancing). An article from MSBNC hints at Aaron mainly going through the motions and having the same expression on his face. Last week I thought Karina danced more around him than anything. Even if Louie walks at least he doesn't stand still Back to Mya, I don't know why she'd tempt fate or intend to give a mediocre performance, especially because Len is going to expect the same from her he has all season. Maybe she is just running out of steam

+ Reply to Thread