+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3734485;
    Maybe it's just me (but I don't think so) that doesn't find "beating the crap out of people" (for real) entertainment. Of course, the explanation that such goes on is because of $$$ (and unrestrained impulses, mismanaged anger/rage and attempts to justify such). Sorry (not really), but I don't have any respect for Chuck and others doing such.

Zeesh.
    For years, I hated UFC....the thought of it made me sick to my stomach. No kidding, I thought it was as bad as the Christians and the lions. I wondered what our society had come to.
    Then this guy came to work for me who was an MMA fighter, so I started paying attention, slowly at first because I still assumed he was a goon and it was pandering to the lowest common denominator.
    I've got to say now that it really is a sport. There is a TON of technique involved and the most skillful, not necessarily the most brutal, person generally wins. It is by far the fastest growing sport in America - still not my favorite because I love college football, etc. but really big - and I think the reason it is growing is because people are figuring out it is more than just apes mauling each other.
    So my bad for playing into the stereotype and referring to them beating the crap out of each other. Sometimes I overdo the visual references.
    But is anyone thinks it is gross and vulgar, I respect that because I was there for a long time.
    Ok, enough about Chuck and fighting. Back to dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3734491;
    For years, I hated UFC....the thought of it made me sick to my stomach. No kidding, I thought it was as bad as the Christians and the lions. I wondered what our society had come to.
    Then this guy came to work for me who was an MMA fighter, so I started paying attention, slowly at first because I still assumed he was a goon and it was pandering to the lowest common denominator.
    I've got to say now that it really is a sport. There is a TON of technique involved and the most skillful, not necessarily the most brutal, person generally wins. It is by far the fastest growing sport in America - still not my favorite because I love college football, etc. but really big - and I think the reason it is growing is because people are figuring out it is more than just apes mauling each other.
    So my bad for playing into the stereotype and referring to them beating the crap out of each other. Sometimes I overdo the visual references.
    But is anyone thinks it is gross and vulgar, I respect that because I was there for a long time.
    Ok, enough about Chuck and fighting. Back to dancing.
    I'm guessing that this "sport" involves steroid use/abuse.

And surely there are more positive uses for natural testosterone.

When will they ever learn...when will they ever learn.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Thank you, sdl, for posting your insider news. I appreciate it. I liked Chuck's personality and work ethic, and while he wasn't the best dancer I enjoyed the time he was there. Still thinking Donny and Mya for the finals, with Joanna or Melissa as the third celeb, just because of the dynasty fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3734485;
    Maybe it's just me (but I don't think so) that doesn't find "beating the crap out of people" (for real) entertainment. Of course, the explanation that such goes on is because of $$$ (and unrestrained impulses, mismanaged anger/rage and attempts to justify such). Sorry (not really), but I don't have any respect for Chuck and others doing such.

Zeesh.
    Not just you. I don't enjoy watching ultimate fighting, boxing, wrestling, or any other sport where the object is to injure your opponent as badly as possible. For me, that is not entertainment.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Melissa said this is how the competition mambo will work: all the couples will be dancing on the floor, the judges will be out walking amongst them and when they tap a couple on the shoulder, they're out. Last one standing wins, I guess.

Even more of a popularity contest than the viewer voting.

sdl, I got that you were just passing on info. and that was what your source believes. Just think that's he/she has been purposefully mislead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3734467;
    You are often an example of "Don't shoot the messenger!"
    It stands to reason that when we get news of what is going on behind the scenes, we aren't going to like all of it, nor are we going to agree with all of it or the way some of it has been handled. However, that isn't going to change the way things are.
    Not sure if this is mostly in regards to my post, but if it was, my point wasn't that I disliked what his source had to say. It was that, IMO, there's no way it could be true. I follow politics and government far more closely than I follow reality shows, and because of that I know that it would most likely not be even feasible, let alone likely.

I simply think ABC higher ups are just trying to find an excuse to pass along to employees to pass along to others as to why he was cast. Trying to cop out of what some saw as a bad decision. Which I find rather cowardly on ABC's part. And FTR, I don't even like DeLay!

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3734781;
    Melissa said this is how the competition mambo will work: all the couples will be dancing on the floor, the judges will be out walking amongst them and when they tap a couple on the shoulder, they're out. Last one standing wins, I guess.

Even more of a popularity contest than the viewer voting.
    Sounds like a dance-a-thon. Maybe each of the stars could raise money for their favorite charity (not them!) to really make their time on the dance floor meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3734367;
    sdl, I trust your information and your source, but this is one time I'd have to say that this part of it does not sound right at all (to me) just based on government-related logic. Even if he supported bills in the past that benefited ABC, the key phrase in that is "in the past." If such bills even existed, ABC has long since gotten their perks or whatever and he wouldn't be able to revoke it now. If he was a current politician, I could see it as a possibility (but still wouldn't buy it), but he's not.

I don't have insiders on Capitol Hill, but I can't think of much of anyone who wants to be associated with him politically these days, so it's not like he could threaten old allies to do something to ABC if he didn't get the show offer. Even if he could do that, it wouldn't matter since the Reps have no power in Congress ATM. So, from my perspective, there's no way it was "impossible to turn him down." He holds no power over them; if they didn't want him, they could've just said no and stuck to it.

To me, if that's the idea they're floating around as to why he was cast, then it sounds like the higher ups (not your source, but the in charge folks) are trying to find a cop out as to why he was cast. I still believe it was to generate controversy and buzz.
    When I first read your post and saw Congress ATM, I wondered why you were bringing up the Treasury money-printing machine. Then I realized you meant "at the moment". My bad.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3734817;
    sdl, I got that you were just passing on info. and that was what your source believes. Just think that's he/she has been purposefully mislead.

Not sure if this is mostly in regards to my post, but if it was, my point wasn't that I disliked what his source had to say. It was that, IMO, there's no way it could be true. I follow politics and government far more closely than I follow reality shows, and because of that I know that it would most likely not be even feasible, let alone likely.

I simply think ABC higher ups are just trying to find an excuse to pass along to employees to pass along to others as to why he was cast. Trying to cop out of what some saw as a bad decision. Which I find rather cowardly on ABC's part. And FTR, I don't even like DeLay!
    Not you specifically at all. I was speaking more in general. Sdl has gotten inside info on DWTS and on the Bachelor/ette several times. People objecting (even worse aiming the objection at him) has become frequent. Occasionally, a portion of the info might be considered somewhat debatable, but for the most part it pans out as given. I haven't always been crazy about the info that has come out, but as the messenger that is not sdl's fault. I understand it isn't going to change the message ( if the info is on the money) to fuss at him.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3734902;
    Not you specifically at all. I was speaking more in general. Sdl has gotten inside info on DWTS and on the Bachelor/ette several times. People objecting (even worse aiming the objection at him) has become frequent. Occasionally, a portion of the info might be considered somewhat debatable, but for the most part it pans out as given. I haven't always been crazy about the info that has come out, but as the messenger that is not sdl's fault. I understand it isn't going to change the message ( if the info is on the money) to fuss at him.
    Hey, the only time I get into trouble is when I pass along things that are debatable, such as why in the world anyone would cast Tom DeLay, whether UFC should be a sport, and how many girls Aaron Carter has hit on today (seriously, and I digress, all I hear is that this guy is he is a dog in heat - not just Karina, not just Chelsie, he hits on everyone...)
    But let me get back to the facts. It is official, this is the lowest rated season of DWTS ever. I am told that viewership in the all important 18-49 demographic is down 23-27% from last year. My friend from ABC, who is a number cruncher, did the math and calculated that it could cost them as much as $30 million (assuming ad revenue is directly tied to viewership, which it isn't exactly but ultimately they are related).
    As an example, last year DWTS was getting, I believe, $325,000 for a 30 second spot. When the show did well, with all the interest in Gilles, Melissa and Shawn, they hiked it to almost $400,000 (chasing AI at $650,000 per segment). Then the ratings tanked, and ad revenue is off - way off - this season.
    Hence the panic. They know the problem is the cast, but they are in meetings now to consider any possible mid-season adjustments to stop the bleeding. I can't even imagine what ideas are on the table but sure would like to find out.
    Last edited by sdl; 10-23-2009 at 11:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread