+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3733682;
    Joann Krupa--the F-bomb Queen.
    Ah. Thank you.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3733863;
    DI did show Donny in jeopardy, but Donny was iffy even then as the margin of error was extremely high whereas Natalie's margin of error was 0, I believe. Also, as well as the text votes had not been counted, DI cuts off, I believe, at 10:00 CST which means that we did not see any indication at all of how the West Coast might have voted. There might have been just enough votes ( maybe a lot more when all was said and done for all I know) to put Donny over the edge and out of the danger zone when the West Coast came in.
    They got this particular results show right, but IMO it was due to pure dumb luck and nothing else. I've said before that DI works (generally) for AI, but is not very helpful for this show. Especially now, since it seems like fewer and fewer people are using it.

The first thing anyone should do when looking at those DI scores is go back and check the raw numbers. When you see that most of the contestants have no more than 13-30 some votes through the program, that tells you the sample size is simply too low to produce anything remotely approaching an accurate prediction of who has the least amount of votes. I don't believe at all that Donny's near the bottom. If Marie can finish 3rd, I don't think there's any way he'd be that low in votes compared to some of the others left.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3734029;
    For most of the "stars", this gig is only a publicity stunt and a face time-getter. For some it's mostly just for fun. For the casual viewer out there who has never seen a message board, it's just something that's on TV that they can vote for on Monday nights. For me, it's the ultimate cheese and not to be taken seriously so I think it's pointless to over-analyze something I'd rather just laugh at. And believe me, I'm laughing. Weekly. Sometimes even twice.
    I've kind of enjoyed this season because we can laugh about things and most folks - around here at least - are not so vested that it becomes a border war. I'm glad we can all be friends; it hasn't always been that way.
    But I heard a very different perspective this afternoon.
    I have a friend in LA who is at times called upon in the production of this show, this season less than others because, well, just because. But he/she/it is still around and knows a fair amount about what is going on.
    I spoke with "them" (I know, all you teachers out there - bad grammar but bear with me) just about an hour ago and this is what they had to say:
    Everyone is aware of the ratings plunge and the general criticisms of the production. Management is not buying that it is viewer fatigue - they think that some people got complacent and started mailing it in, creating a lesser quality show. There is enormous tension because somebody is going to take a fall, or at least that's what they believe.
    Among the cast, this has always been a fun show - lot's of support and comraderie, lasting friendships formed. This season is different, there are still people who like each other and are friendly, but most of the contestants kind of do their own things. The mood is decidedly different. There are no "friends for life" like Jason Taylor and Cristian de la Fuente.
    They are aware that 16 couples were too many, and not only made it tougher for the viewers to bond, but they think it impeded the bonding between the people on the show as well. They did it for two reasons: an overcorrection in reaction to all of the injuries last season, and an attempt to appeal to a wider audience - something for everyone they figured. It created a mass of people though, a herd so to speak, who didn't have as much opportunity to get to know one another well.
    Specifically, we talked about Donny. Not a bad person but all business. Turns it on at show time but otherwise is on a mission. He already has a full time job, a large family, and isn't going to stand around telling "two nuns walked into a bar..." jokes.
    We talked about Mya. She is different from the rest, the others know it, and while they are usually cordial to her, they resent working their tails off to avoid making fools of themselves while she has been doing this for a living since she was 2 years old, or whatever the deal is on that. One contestant commented within earshot of her that if she was going to "kick their ass anyway, she could at least be nicer about it."
    The feeling about Aaron ranges from contempt to pity, but he is not going to win any popularity contests. On the pro side, some of this feeling is a reaction to his hitting on Karina so soon after (or during - honestly I forgot to ask) she and Maks broke up. It was a low blow and Maks is one of the most respected of the pros - especially with the males. He (Maks) offends some of the women, but overall he is a solid part of their fraternity and nobody wants to see a 140lb worm disrespect him.
    We laughed about who used fouler language, Joanna or Kathy Griffin, but apparently she is not alone. They have to edit many of the pros and contestants because it's a family show.
    Mark is intense and sometimes hard to warm up to, but that's just his style. Not a bad guy at all, but keeps it inside.
    Michael is the most outgoing and probably the most well liked. He works hard at it but likes to keep it loose.
    Chuck was well liked. Not at all what people expected. Very respectful and gracious, and had a dry sense of humor.
    Kelly can be warm and funny but she tends to stick with the people around whom she is most comfortable. The press has caught on to her friendship with Michael. They like to laugh together, and she feeds off of his confidence.
    I'm trying to remember if I left anything out.....
    Oh yea, Louie is a nice guy but a little different, culturally speaking. He seems a lot younger than the rest, even Chelsie - who they do not believe is sleeping with him although they are good friends. Chelsie gets along with everyone.
    Melissa apparently has small children and doesn't hang around much.
    The pros are competitive, there are conflicts and rivalries, but I honestly did not pursue this - we had talked long enough and my sense was that this was not somewhere I needed to pry. This person will still have to see them long after we have moved on.
    Overall, no great "oh wow" moments but always interesting to hear.
    Last edited by sdl; 10-22-2009 at 08:03 PM.

FORT Fogey

SDL--what a jewel you are!

As always--thanks so much for your insider info!

Now I feel like I'm "in the know."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Thanks SDL for the info! I'm not surprised to hear that about Chuck and Michael. In interviews a lot of people speak highly of them, and many seemed very disappointed when Chuck left. Even when he was on the show, in the backstage footage, they seemed to be the most well liked.

Not surprised about your comments about Aaron and Maks. So, is 16 couples something they plan on doing again? Seriously, I think they can get a wide range of people with just 12 celebs, not 16.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3734137;
    SDL--what a jewel you are!

As always--thanks so much for your insider info!

Now I feel like I'm "in the know."
    Thank you!
    I just remembered 2 things that are kind of interesting. I keep lousy notes but have a pretty decent memory.
    Both of them are a bit more in the realm of speculation, fair enough? Because they were only opinions expressed in the course of our conversation but worth mentioning:
    1. Tom DeLay was a disaster, and the people at ABC aren't complete morons so they sort of saw it coming. But DeLay really wanted to be on the show, "lobbied" for it, and was initially rejected. Then one day they get a memo from the penthouse that Tom will be on the show. The scuttlebutt was that DeLay called in favors from his days in Congress - bills he had supported which benefitted ABC and it's parent company that made it impossible to turn him down. There were even questions about the validity of those stress fractures - once they held up their end of the bargain.
    I have no way of proving this as fact unless I read the last 20 years of the Congressional record, so take it for what it's worth.
    2. Apparently there was a coolness between Chuck Lidell and Mark D. Everyone thought, hey, these guys are both martial artists so they will have a lot in common. But Lidell was a world champion beat your brains out in the Octagon mixed martial artist who didn't just put on a robe and move around in front of a mirror. He put everything, his life, on the line in every match. Mark is an actor who "played" like he was hitting people in low budget Bruce Lee type movies. Big difference, so apparently they didn't spend a lot of time sharing war stories.
    Seriously, I'm a huge Gilles Marini fan, and he and Mark are "martial arts" buddies. So how long do you think Gilles would last against Chuck Lidell in a cage match which ends only when one is totally knocked out, has a broken limb, or is choked unconscious?
    Chuck was never rude to Mark; he just didn't pay attention to him.

FORT Fanatic

I would never be so dismissive of an "actor" who "Plays" at Kung Fu, especially when he has won 20 championships in the Martial Art, including a title as European Champion in his weight class. His ability in executing the Butterfly twist alone shows there's no wires, like there was for some of the actors in say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...they get help. The true Marital Artists are the real deal.

He has very sophisticated skill in Kung Fu, especially when he demonstrates the "one inch" punch, made famous by Bruce Lee. All the power is packed into a punch an inch from its target..to be able to make that guy move backward like that was incredible.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO BLOG: Lacey Schwimmer Goes Kung Fu with Mark Dacascos! | RadarOnline.com

It might also be helpful to read about how serious Mark is about his Martial Art, he never considered being an actor until he was asked. Obviously someone who is 45 and is that in shape must be incorporating Martial arts as a lifestyle.
    Martial Arts Players Directory : Star Spotlight
    Last edited by Andiemywestie; 10-22-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3734128;
    I've kind of enjoyed this season because we can laugh about things
    Yes, this season is full of laughs. The casting was a riot from the get go with Tom DeLay - Were they trying for a freak show? - and at least 4 or 5 other people on there who wouldn't have made the roster in previous years when they still had better people to pick from. I still don't know what the big deal is with Joanna Krupa and why people don't like her except what I read here about her swearing or something. Oooh, big freakin' whoop! I don't see that as a shocking sin against the universe.

But the funniest casting choice this season is, I think, Samantha's hair. That thing shifts and slides around like it's made of silly putty. It probably has it's own dressing room on the set and I keep expecting it to get a producer's credit on the show it's that prominent.

So, yes, this is one of the more cheestastic seasons to date and therefore somewhat more enjoyable than the previous one. That one almost made me break out in hives every Monday.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Tom DeLay was a joke. If he bought his way onto the show....that's just disgusting. I feel bad for poor Cheryl. It was a complete waste of her talent.

Aaron does look a bit uncomfortable all the time. I guess now we know why.

sdl, you should have gotten the scoop on Alec and Natalie. Can you call him/her/it back?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3734311;
    I would never be so dismissive of an "actor" who "Plays" at Kung Fu, especially when he has won 20 championships in the Martial Art, including a title as European Champion in his weight class. His ability in executing the Butterfly twist alone shows there's no wires, like there was for some of the actors in say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...they get help. The true Marital Artists are the real deal.

He has very sophisticated skill in Kung Fu, especially when he demonstrates the "one inch" punch, made famous by Bruce Lee. All the power is packed into a punch an inch from its target..to be able to make that guy move backward like that was incredible.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO BLOG: Lacey Schwimmer Goes Kung Fu with Mark Dacascos! | RadarOnline.com

It might also be helpful to read about how serious Mark is about his Martial Art, he never considered being an actor until he was asked. Obviously someone who is 45 and is that in shape must be incorporating Martial arts as a lifestyle.
    Martial Arts Players Directory : Star Spotlight
    I am sure Mark is very serious about his training in the gym, his exhibitions of his craft, hitting boards, and swinging his legs around in space. These are things that the rest of us cannot do.
    I am simply reporting what I was told - that the Chuck Lidell doesn't hit boards. He fights real people who are trying to kill him. It's not an exercise program or an artistic display. It is the real thing, and he was the world champion in an arena in which nobody pulled their punches. A completely different breed from the guys who never get bloody.
    So these guys don't have as much in common as one might think. One is great in theory; the other guy puts everything - his life - on the line.
    It's the difference between riding a mechanical bull and a live one that will kick, stomp and gore you because you are playing for keeps.
    I'm sure Chuck was very gracious towards Mark, but in no way are they engaged in the same sport.

+ Reply to Thread