+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Peacheater- It never occurred to me that DTWS "is nothing more than a mirror ball." I guess those continuing payments made to cast members who stay around really don't mean much as long as the Disney elves are delivering the entertainment. I'm afraid that the only common ground we share here is that "it's not that serious."
    All TV shows are for entertainment, that is what TV is all about! Even the news producers make sure their show entertains. Documentary makers too. Weather men often consider themselves comedians and aim to please.

Everyone involved in making a TV show is paid. Why would anyone work for nothing? It is a job for all involved.

I understand why you take dancing seriously, it is your field, but this show is pure fluff.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3733601;
    Of course they'll try to up the star power - how could it get any worse?
    I highly doubt that the fat cat with the big cigar walked up to the cubicle of the nerd who used to cast for this show before he was fired last week for incompetence and said, "Listen, here's the deal....I want you to cast the most uninteresting, anonymous bunch of losers we've ever had on this show, ok? Get me the son of a tanned guy, a hermaphrodite who cries, someone from a cooking show who can't cook, a chick who drops more f-bombs than Andrew Dice Clay, an Osmond, an Osbourne, and one professional dancer - because this is a dancing show, got it? While you're at it, cut the budget on the band, dry Samantha's hair with a wind turbine, and tell Bruno to kiss a Mormon. This will be great."
    You have outdone yourself on this one! As of now, old chum, methinks you are the king of snark.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey

sdl, Hysterical!

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3733589;
    I went back and watched every dance from Monday night and there wasn't a bad performance in the bunch....especially if you take into consideration where some of these people started. Oddly, I thought Aaron and Mark, the two that I would most like to forget about, had their best nights so far.
    But I am more convinced than ever that the judges have their scores entered before they even see the dances. I would love to know what promises were made to Donny before he came on the show - I like the guy a lot but there were 3 or 4 dances that were better than his....
    I will go to my grave believing that this show is rigged.
    I am not as suspicious, leery as you are

I went back and watched every dance from Monday night and there wasn't a bad performance in the bunch....especially if you take into consideration where some of these people started. Oddly, I thought Aaron and Mark, the two that I would most like to forget about, had their best nights so far.
    But I am more convinced than ever that the judges have their scores entered before they even see the dances. I would love to know what promises were made to Donny before he came on the show - I like the guy a lot but there were 3 or 4 dances that were better than his....
    I am not as suspicious, leery as you are

My close friends are the same, very leery of everything I try to have an open mind, until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3733705;
    All TV shows are for entertainment, that is what TV is all about! Even the news producers make sure their show entertains. Documentary makers too. Weather men often consider themselves comedians and aim to please.

Everyone involved in making a TV show is paid. Why would anyone work for nothing? It is a job for all involved.

I understand why you take dancing seriously, it is your field, but this show is pure fluff.
    Yes this show is for pure entertainment only and giving the viewers a chance to vote is the way to get people involved. Sort of like AI, only they use real contestants who want to be professional singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3733253;
    OK, I assume that since you have quoted me, MsDiva2007, that you are of the opinion that I am either taking it "out on Mya" or am in some way suggesting that others do the same. Nothing could be further from the truth. I understand why some feel the need to "vote against her," but I don't vote, so I have no personal stake in the outcome. I'll admit to having one or two "Oliver Stone" moments when learning that information about Mya's dance past was removed from her website and left out of the ABC bio info. If there is nothing to cover up, why not just proudly put it out there for us?

Perhaps if you read my past comments about Mya, you would be aware that I have applauded her dance performance on the show and believe her to be an exceptional dancer, far outdistancing the competition. None of the judges have been critical of her technique, and only Len is competent to offer her any criticism. I'd loved to have danced in "Chicago" as Mya did, or to have performed solo at the Kennedy Center here in DC. If she were to become serious about ballroom following DWTS, I think the pros at Dancesport International next June in Boston would welcome her openly. I would, and I'd love to dance with her at some point in the future; but, that doesn't mean I don't see her as a thoroughbred race horse running in a field of Shetland ponies in DWTS.

I'm glad that you know the rules for the show. ("There is no rule that states they have to be a novice.") Can you share the rules with us or provide a link? I'd like to know what they are, in order to be more fully informed. As a trained ballroom adjudicator and ballroom dance professional, I would never participate in a competition without knowing the rules, and I find it uncomfortable not knowing what they are for DWTS. I've stated repeatedly, and it is a condition of my participation in this website, that I view that dancers only on their performance (as a pair) in competition, using generally accepted dance judging criteria. The fact that you and others find it all to be purely entertainment is something I can applaud, but it is entirely irrelevant to me. It is not why I watch. And, it is not why some members here have asked me to contribute here this season, from the perspective of my own dance background.

Frankly, if one compares Mya's professional body of work with that of Carrie Anne, one is hard pressed not to argue that the wrong one of these two is judging this competition.

But, thank you, anyway, for putting me firmly in my place. It never occurred to me that DTWS "is nothing more than a mirror ball." I guess those continuing payments made to cast members who stay around really don't mean much as long as the Disney elves are delivering the entertainment. I'm afraid that the only common ground we share here is that "it's not that serious."
    I apologize that I can't provide a link, but I just wanted to contribute what I know, based on what has been said, both on these boards and others for years - I think what the rules specifically state is that no "star" can have prior ballroom experience. That's it. Nothing else about dancing experience or anything else - just no ballroom experience.

Peacheater - I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your comments. While I know this show is an entertainment show and plenty of couples over the years have said they don't necessarily stick to the requirements of the dances in favor of a splashy number that they know will win over fans - I still appreciate the opinion of someone who really knows her stuff! I may be crazy, but Len is actually my favorite judge - because of the 3 of them, he seems to be the only one who actually knows what he is talking about when he critiques the couples!

I do wonder about this sometimes. Especially with regard to the couples who are labelled "in jeopardy" and then told they are safe. Like with Joanna this past week. If you believe the polls, she was never really "in jeopardy". But I think the combination of her being told she was "in jeopardy" and Natalie being voted off, will sway some fans to vote for her because she has been dancing pretty well.

It's funny - on DI this week, they predicted Natalie in the bottom 3, which shocked me at the time. But since that turned out to be true, I wanted to mention that one of the others listed as being in the bottom 3 was Donny! Now, we all know there was no way Donny was going home. And I also know DI only registers phone votes. But I would think many of Donny's fans (although certainly not all, so please don't attack me!) would be slightly older fans who would tend to vote via phone vs. online or texting. I know some people have made comments here about not even bothering to vote for Donny because he is already guaranteed a final 3 position. But now I am seriously starting to wonder if there is actually some truth to that statement!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3733839;
    I do wonder about this sometimes. Especially with regard to the couples who are labelled "in jeopardy" and then told they are safe. Like with Joanna this past week. If you believe the polls, she was never really "in jeopardy". But I think the combination of her being told she was "in jeopardy" and Natalie being voted off, will sway some fans to vote for her because she has been dancing pretty well.

It's funny - on DI this week, they predicted Natalie in the bottom 3, which shocked me at the time. But since that turned out to be true, I wanted to mention that one of the others listed as being in the bottom 3 was Donny! Now, we all know there was no way Donny was going home. And I also know DI only registers phone votes. But I would think many of Donny's fans (although certainly not all, so please don't attack me!) would be slightly older fans who would tend to vote via phone vs. online or texting. I know some people have made comments here about not even bothering to vote for Donny because he is already guaranteed a final 3 position. But now I am seriously starting to wonder if there is actually some truth to that statement!!
    DI did show Donny in jeopardy, but Donny was iffy even then as the margin of error was extremely high whereas Natalie's margin of error was 0, I believe. Also, as well as the text votes had not been counted, DI cuts off, I believe, at 10:00 CST which means that we did not see any indication at all of how the West Coast might have voted. There might have been just enough votes ( maybe a lot more when all was said and done for all I know) to put Donny over the edge and out of the danger zone when the West Coast came in.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3733191;
    I'm sorry but imo it is not right to take out on Mya the fact that the show has no problem with her previous experience. If the show has no problem with it why should the audience.There is no rule that states they have to be a novice. It's not even a true dance contest just a entertainment show. Omg it really is nothing more than a mirror ball. Its not that serious.
    It's really that simple. The show is only for show, so to speak. I'm way past really caring whether somebody on there is a pro or not, only insofar as it makes the other contestants feel like crap when they have to witness near pro displays week after week from a fellow contestant that they know they can't top. On the other hand, they all signed up for the same schlock so it all evens out in the paycheck as I'm sure even the celebs would mostly agree.

Moreover, ABC/production doesn't seem to give a damn about celeb backgrounds anymore, not even at the risk of being accused of stuffing the lineup with a few ringers. Gone are the days where there would be an uproar over the winner like there was when that chick won the first season over that soap opera guy that everyone drooled over. They even had to hold a do-over or something. Can't remember all the details or their names and I like it that way.

For most of the "stars", this gig is only a publicity stunt and a face time-getter. For some it's mostly just for fun. For the casual viewer out there who has never seen a message board, it's just something that's on TV that they can vote for on Monday nights. For me, it's the ultimate cheese and not to be taken seriously so I think it's pointless to over-analyze something I'd rather just laugh at. And believe me, I'm laughing. Weekly. Sometimes even twice.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread