+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3730321;
    As a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, Melissa played to an audience. As a participant on a reality show, she played to an audience. On DWTS, she played to an audience. She received attention and fame for appearing before an audience.

As a gymnast, Shawn performed or played for an audience every time she competed including during the Olympics. On DWTS, she received attention and further fame for appearing before an audience.

The athletes compete in front of a crowd and gain attention and fame for their successes. When they come on this show, they are gaining more attention and fame.

Gilles and every other actor who has ever been on this show has plied his trade for attention in front of an audience. All of those actors further vied for attention and further fame in front of an audience when they were on DWTS.

It is the same thing with every singer and performer who plays to an audience, gains attention and fame, and then comes to gain more attention and fame on DWTS.

Frankly, if we say that Melissa is a famewhore for dancing on this show for fame and attention, then I don't see how we can not apply the same title to the majority of other contenders who do the same thing.
    You are so right on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3730321;
    As a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, Melissa played to an audience. As a participant on a reality show, she played to an audience. On DWTS, she played to an audience. She received attention and fame for appearing before an audience.

As a gymnast, Shawn performed or played for an audience every time she competed including during the Olympics. On DWTS, she received attention and further fame for appearing before an audience.

The athletes compete in front of a crowd and gain attention and fame for their successes. When they come on this show, they are gaining more attention and fame.

Gilles and every other actor who has ever been on this show has plied his trade for attention in front of an audience. All of those actors further vied for attention and further fame in front of an audience when they were on DWTS.

It is the same thing with every singer and performer who plays to an audience, gains attention and fame, and then comes to gain more attention and fame on DWTS.

Frankly, if we say that Melissa is a famewhore for dancing on this show for fame and attention, then I don't see how we can not apply the same title to the majority of other contenders who do the same thing.

I agree completely. Really....what other reason do these stars agree to do this show for? They aren't paid millions, so it's not the money for most of them. It's the recognition.

The Dallas Cheerleaders are the most famous cheerleaders in our country. They are revered...lol. Melissa was one. She just happened to be on the Bachelor. If we are going to dog every reality star for doing this show, then I guess Kelly, Steve-O, Kim Kardashian...and a few others should get the same treatment. Add the models to that, as well.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think the difference is, most of these people got famous for doing something other than a reality show. And I've heard Kelly is pretty successful in the UK. You got me on Kim and Steve-O Trista I don't count because it was the first season, but I guess it made sense at the time. They may not be huge Tom Hanks or Nicole Kidman ranked stars, but MJH and Aaron were huge teen stars at one point. Shawn and Kristi will probably go down in history as some of the most well known Olympians ever. But I think reality show contestants fall into that trap of being known as being famous for nothing, as being famous for being a weasel trapped on an island, secluded in a house, or being rejected by a guy or girl after seeing them make out with 25 other men or women in the process. She was picked on short notice and because ABC probably figured people would feel sorry for her at first. Reality show contestants that continually show up when they're more infamous than famous become like Speidi, Sanjaya, the other Kardashians, and Omarosa. I guess supporting has been or nobody C and D listers is different than seeing someone come from one reality show to another.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying she's in that league. Melissa wasn't my favorite, but that's another topic. Proud lifetime member of the Gilles camp here!

FORT Fan

I had never heard of Gilles before he was on DWTS. To me, he was more of a non celebrity than Melissa and the others that I actually had heard of were. For me it is a YMMV thing. Looking at this year's crop, the only ones I have heard of before is Donny, Kelly, Melissa, Michael and Tom DeLay. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed watching the others.

Since this is the thread for the results show from this past week, I'll use that specifically as an example about my comments on Lacey being snippy and non-supportive. In the confessionals and after they got their scores, she just acted plain rude, IMO. She's coming across to me as annoyed and put-out, like Mark just irritates her. At least the way they edit it, I do not see her as being encouraging or supportive. Yes, it was only a one point improvement this week, but it was an improvement. She could be blunt with Lance, but I still never recall her acting this way with him or Steve-O. As another example, the two-step she choreographed came across to me, again just IMO, as her showboating her own self instead of focusing on choreographing it to suit her partner. Anna D.'s choreography was a disaster in its own right, but I think that seems to deal more with not being an experienced (or good?) teacher than it is for her promoting herself in the dances.

I still believe he could have done better with another partner. Win? Very doubtful, but he could have done better.

FWIW, I also don't particularly care for Cheryl and her attitude trips either that she has from time to time. Never like the pros being rude to the celebs, which is one reason why I'm not the biggest fan of Maks either.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by catzy;3730383;
    I had never heard of Gilles before he was on DWTS. To me, he was more of a non celebrity than Melissa and the others that I actually had heard of were. For me it is a YMMV thing. Looking at this year's crop, the only ones I have heard of before is Donny, Kelly, Melissa, Michael and Tom DeLay. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed watching the others.
    That's what I enjoyed about last season. I went in thinking I wouldn't enjoy it, and yet Gilles, Ty, and even Steve-O were delights to watch. This season, Louie and Kelly weren't ones I expected to root for, but here's hoping they make the final 3 (along with Natalie). Chuck was also a ton of fun to watch and why I like this show (minus his bad dancing, but the experience part of it). I had heard of Michael, but not to the extent of Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith. I probably knew more about him way back when. Melissa, Aaron, and Tom were others. I think sometimes knowing more about the cast makes the season worse for me But you're right, I have pre-show opinions of certain contestants and pros that makes me not want to root for them. Sometimes they turn it around, sometimes not.

Since this is the thread for the results show from this past week, I'll use that specifically as an example about my comments on Lacey being snippy and non-supportive. In the confessionals and after they got their scores, she just acted plain rude, IMO. She's coming across to me as annoyed and put-out, like Mark just irritates her. At least the way they edit it, I do not see her as being encouraging or supportive. Yes, it was only a one point improvement this week, but it was an improvement. She could be blunt with Lance, but I still never recall her acting this way with him or Steve-O. As another example, the two-step she choreographed came across to me, again just IMO, as her showboating her own self instead of focusing on choreographing it to suit her partner. Anna D.'s choreography was a disaster in its own right, but I think that seems to deal more with not being an experienced (or good?) teacher than it is for her promoting herself in the dances.

I still believe he could have done better with another partner. Win? Very doubtful, but he could have done better.

FWIW, I also don't particularly care for Cheryl and her attitude trips either that she has from time to time. Never like the pros being rude to the celebs, which is one reason why I'm not the biggest fan of Maks either.
    I think Edyta's really the only one that I've seen frustrated, but not out right rude, and her frustration seemed to be more with LT and Ashley than other partners. Kym and Chelsie as well. The others have had their share of frustrations and bust ups, and in some cases I try to give them a break. They are teachers, they are professionals, they are world wide champions, and are teaching celebs who (give or take a few) have different reasons for being here, have varying personalities that could cost them, have different dance abilities, and who may not like being in the role of student. I think some of them come in with a different expectation of how they'll do and be perceived by the public, and yet completely flop, and want to blame everyone but themselves. Debi and Denise kind of fit in that category for me. Lacey does seem more irritated. I don't know if she's got other projects waiting and wants to slip ala Julianne. I certainly wouldn't miss her if she took next season off. Maybe Lance and Steve-O were more her types or lived up to her "rebel of the ballroom".

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3729960;
    I'm going to take a deep breath and endeavor not to respond to you. I see no point in fighting that fight on the board again. It was nothing but unnecessarily divisive, and was one of the significant reasons I left this forum last season.
    I'm going to go with Peacheater on this one. Are we still talking about Meiissa Rycroft not belonging on the show? Talk about ancient history.
    As for Gilles, I fully acknowledge that he was a nobody back then but I think that dude was the best pure dancer ever to appear on DWTS, and I'm happy he's becoming a real star now.
    Now to current events: It happened again tonight! I was flipping channels into the dead zone and I came across Iron Chef. But this time I actually watched the whole sad mess and personally witnessed the contribution the Chairman makes to the show, as follows:
    (a) This is the worst show on TV, ever. The test pattern is riveting entertainment compared with this odd combination of a Japanese game show and something you might see if you fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 4am, thinking you were having a weird nightmare til you realized it was just this really dumb, disorganized cooking show featuring creppy little guys circling boiling cauldrons in red silk kimonos.
    (b) The reason Mark is on a cooking show but admittedly knows nothing about cooking is because his part is virtually irrelevant and lasts at most 3 minutes. That guy must be so elated to be making $200,000 plus or minus on DWTS because if he makes more than $200 per episode of cable TV filler Iron Chef, then he's overpaid.
    (c) I cannot tell a lie. I thought Mark had his personality removed for DWTS, in order to make Chuck Liddell sound like Jay Leno. Nope, the guy is every bit as boring in his natural habitat - same monotone voice and lack of expression in his 3 minutes of fame on Iron Chef. Apparently, it's not an act. Listening to the Chairman is like watching paint dry.
    Rather than eliminating Aaron and Michael - who, whether you like them or not, actually have personalities - the producers might consider getting rid of Mark, so people can fall asleep in front of their TV's at 3am watching Iron Chef rather than 7pm on Monday nights.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3729831;
    Well I hope you're calling the kettle black, because MissKellyO can do no wrong..:laugh

A look at the thread here for Kelly indicates that no fans of Kelly are saying anything like this.

FORT Fanatic

Oh this is cute. Everyone now wants to bag on boring Mark and snippy Lacey. Maybe some folks are just a tad worried this is going to be a good week for them.

Yeah, I'd rather be a boring guy who does a cooking show, but also does at least one or two films a year, was nominated for a French acting award, was the lead in a tv series, does films that have meaning, like Only the Strong that promotes an activity other than drugs for young people, (and in works to do a sequel) or a movie like Only the Brave honoring the war veterans, or is a musician and tours with a band, or does a children's movie, or changes gears completely and becomes a vanpire in a horror flick. Yeah...boring guy...a perfect gentleman, with a beautiful family..

Somehow that's more appealing than a couple of hollywood brats, who's claim to fame are dubious, or an Olympic "hopeful" who has yet to make the team being less than gracious to each other.

As far as the Lacey hate goes, she's been bashed around for not knowing enough standard Ballroom dance, and when she does know some Social dances well, I don't blame her for saying so. Snippy? Cheryl swore at Gilles in practice. Coaches have different approaches, so she's not a stroker, that doesn't mean she hasn't done some strong choreography this season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3730370;
    I agree completely. Really....what other reason do these stars agree to do this show for? They aren't paid millions, so it's not the money for most of them. It's the recognition.

The Dallas Cheerleaders are the most famous cheerleaders in our country. They are revered...lol. Melissa was one. She just happened to be on the Bachelor. If we are going to dog every reality star for doing this show, then I guess Kelly, Steve-O, Kim Kardashian...and a few others should get the same treatment. Add the models to that, as well.

In the long run, what the heck does it matter? It is a given that in the very nature of what they do they seek attention and recognition, but they entertain us with what they do. If we took away every person who does what he or she does because inherently he or she is a "fame whore" ( I don't think I like that phrase anyway), then the world would be downright boring for those of us less talented, creative, beautiful, etc. types.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread