+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3728659;
    Never before have I had a problem with a celebrity having previous dance experience of any type -- not with the ice skaters, gymnasts, boy banders, girl groups, broadway theater performers, ballet dancers, etc. Nor do I care if any of them decide to take a few lessons to prepare for the show. None of them was a choreographer. I, too, like to see good dancers on the show along with those who become good dancers. Gilles was so good that many insisted he had had dancing training at some points, which was patently not true.

With Mya, however, I feel they have crossed the line. To me, it would be tantamount to having someone like Patrick Swayze, Gregory Hines, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Cyd Charrisse, Juliet Prowse, or their like as contestants. I love each of those I named, but would think it unfair for any of them to have been cast on this show (in their time, of course).

That's just my opinion, of course, but I stand by it.
    There you go. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    This is exactly the issue....never before has the show crossed this line, but this time they did it in a way that, frankly, I am still struggling to understand. As in, what were they thinking?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I've heard before that certain contestants have wanted to participate but couldn't because they had some sort of formal ballroom training in their background (Marilu Henner and Danica McKellar). It makes me wonder that, even with formal ballroom training, how they'd stack up compared to Mya. I don't mind seeing good dancers, but not to the level she's at when she's got people on a lower scale dance wise that are learning something new and showing potential but who might get bumped in favor of her. I also didn't really like her and Dmitry's attitude this week towards Len.

Never before have I had a problem with a celebrity having previous dance experience of any type -- not with the ice skaters, gymnasts, boy banders, girl groups, broadway theater performers, ballet dancers, etc. Nor do I care if any of them decide to take a few lessons to prepare for the show. None of them was a choreographer. I, too, like to see good dancers on the show along with those who become good dancers. Gilles was so good that many insisted he had had dancing training at some points, which was patently not true.

With Mya, however, I feel they have crossed the line. To me, it would be tantamount to having someone like Patrick Swayze, Gregory Hines, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Cyd Charrisse, Juliet Prowse, or their like as contestants. I love each of those I named, but would think it unfair for any of them to have been cast on this show (in their time, of course).

This is exactly how many of us feel this year. The line has been crossed, and this is not someone with "some" dance background like the other "ringer" types have been.

Wow way to put Mya in good company. It is not a competition of dance as we are always reminded by those who vote. This show is nothing more than a Popularity contest with dancing involved. If it was anything more half of this cast would be gone except for possibly three people. The winner gets a tacky Mirror ball nothing more. It's pretty hard to cross an invisible line that the Producers never drew to begin with.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3728810;
    Wow way to put Mya in good company. It is not a competition of dance as we are always reminded by those who vote. This show is nothing more than a Popularity contest with dancing involved. If it was anything more half of this cast would be gone except for possibly three people. The winner gets a tacky Mirror ball nothing more. It's pretty hard to cross an invisible line that the Producers never drew to begin with.
    No producers never drew a line and that's the problem with the show in general. People have got to the point where they're tuning out in droves because they see the hypocrisy in the judging and the innate unfairness in bringing in a professional to compete against amateurs. Ratings have taken a huge nosedive and people are just fatigued by the bull.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-15-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3728842;
    No producers never drew a line and that's the problem with the show in general. People have got to the point where they're tuning out in droves because they see the hypocrisy in the judging and the innate unfairness in bringing in a professional to compete against amateurs. Ratings have taken a huge nosedive and people are just fatigued by the bull.
    I will agree that it's beginning to get more and more insane with the bias and the ringers. Having good dancers is one thing, if you had a better level playing field. But you have Mya competing against people like Kelly, Natalie, Louie, Mark, and even some of the better dancers like Aaron are in a different league. It's tiring to see CA and Bruno ooh and ahh over her every week like they're completely shocked by her performance and they never say it coming. Then giving attitude to Len because he's basically saying hey, you're at a more advanced level, you better dance like it. Then overlooking things with certain couples because you like the star and/or the pro but docking a couple on the exact same points. They don't hold everyone to the same level, and it's not fair. The producers may think it's cute to get people like Louie and Ty who can't dance, which it is, but it's not fair to them or their partners (especially those who continually get duds-and I doubt they'll give Dmitry one next season even though he's got a ringer teaching him this season) to have to compete with someone who's got better dance training. Will anyone be surprised if Mya wins? If she and Dmitry are in the final 2, it's like Kristi all over again. Will anyone be surprised to see her get a perfect 30 next week? It's more enjoyable for me to watch Kelly, Natalie, Louie, and Mark because they're completely out of their comfort zone and learning a new skill and it's still obvious all 4 weeks in they have a ways to go.

There's a lot of things I think the show is doing to alienate their audience, new and old. Unfortuantely, they won't look at it as their fault, but find some other way to tweak it and probably make it worse.

FORT Fanatic

The show has lost sight of what worked. It was full out Ballroom, not a bunch of filler dances, a cast capped at 12, and and a group of people where there could be contenders, not everyone looking at Mya's backside every week.

If some of the non-dancers can break out with a legitimate high score, not an overflated one for MJH, then we've got a contest. I'm hopeful there will be a few that can get there.

It's funny how Mr. Variety show, Donny Osmond seems to not get the "ringer" slant thrown his way. Donny has performed on a stage and danced on The Donny and Marie show as well as in Stage plays,What's the difference? Ringer only seems to slip out of mouths for some people. There is no such thing as a ringer on a show like this. The most popular is the one that always ends up winning.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3728963;
    It's funny how Mr. Variety show, Donny Osmond seems to not get the "ringer" slant thrown his way. Donny has performed on a stage and danced on The Donny and Marie show as well as in Stage plays,What's the difference? Ringer only seems to slip out of mouths for some people. There is no such thing as a ringer on a show like this. The most popular is the one that always ends up winning.
    Yet it doesn't show in Donny's dancing, at least not for me. And many will say Marie was one of the worst dancers to ever make it to the final 3. Donny tends to rely more on theatrics for his routines. He's not a bad dancer, but no way is he up to Mya levels.

I don't know Donny has been on tv dancing in the Osmond brothers since 1962. The year I was born. The Donny & Marie show was half skits and Dance routines with Donny and Marie. If we are going to split hairs he also performed as a backup dancer in a Weird Al Yankovic video and has also been on stage with Michael Jackson. Donny has decades more time dancing than Mya has on this earth. I don't see either as a ringer.

let not forget Donny's answer to Latoya Jacksons question

"Rumor has it that you've been rehearsing for a year with a private trainer in Utah. Is that true?"

No, that's not true," Donny initially replied.

Donny:

"I will clarify because I have been taking dancing lessons to learn ballroom for the dances that we do in Vegas," he continued, referring to his Las Vegas show with sister Marie, who previously competed on the show. "That's part of the choreography, but it's a whole different thing than what we're doing here."

this sounds like a candidate for the "ringer" to me
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 10-16-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread