+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 10/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3726556;
    May I recommend you look at a video on youtube of my friends and US Champions Bruno Collins and Luann Pulliam.

YouTube - Bruno Collins & Luann Pulliam - Bolero Dance !

When you watch this video of the Bolero, please pay close attention to the fact that these two are partners, each contributing one half of the dance. If these to aren't sexy, then I'm clueless as to what is. I think that when one sees the beauty of the Bolero, Rhumba and the Lambada, they can be well appreciated for their beauty and artistry. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Two-step.
    Peacheater:
    Would you mind providing your rankings of the 11 competitors based on their performances last night? I think we all find it interesting.
    Thank you.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726572;
    List of things to eliminate next year:
    the two step
    Michael Irvin's partner
    trips to the SPCA
    people who choreograph their own dances
    hugging the judges
    Joel Grey makeup
    crying & sobbing on a football player who scored way lower than you
    Carrie Ann's comments
    Samantha's attempts at being Tom
    overly white guys dancing shirtless
    starting with 16 stars, 9 of whom we've never heard of
    ex-Congressmen currently under indictment
    old R&B singers who want to collect that first check and go home
    swimsuit models who say f**k more than Andrew Dice Clay
    lying about the vote counts
    to be continued........
    Also add please:
    The band and singers. I would much rather they used taped versions of the original music that use the same house band and singers ever again.

Premium Member

Yes get rid of the singers, god they are worse than Musak in the elevators.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726636;
    Peacheater:
    Would you mind providing your rankings of the 11 competitors based on their performances last night? I think we all find it interesting.
    Thank you.
    To refresh my own memory, if not others, this is my ranking from last week.

1. Mya/Demitry
    2. Natalie/Alec
    3. Joanna/Derek
    4. Donny/Kym
    5. Louie/Chelsie
    5. Aaron/Karina
    5. Kellie/Louis
    8. Melissa/Mark
    8. Mark/Lacey
    10. Debi/Maks
    11. Chuck/Anna
    12. Michael/Anna D.
    13. Tom/Cheryl

And the ranking from last night’s show (which is a little different from my first reaction last night). I took the time to watch all the dances a second and third time today.

1. Mya & Demitry
    1. Joanna & Derek
    3. Donny & Kym
    4. Melissa & Mark
    4. Natalie & Alec
    6. Mark & Lacey
    6. Kelly & Louis
    8. Aaron & Karina
    9. Chuck & Anna
    10. Michael & Anna
    11. Louie & Chelsie

My rationale: Mya is an obvious pro dancer. I don’t like it, but I don’t make the rules. There was no magic between her and Dimitry, so for me, she cannot be the clear winner. I agree with the way Len is approaching her scoring.

No apologies for my scoring of Joanna. Like it or not, it was a quality technical performance and the two worked the dance together. Personally, I would have appreciated Derek wearing a sheer Latin shirt, but I only remove .5 for “bad judgment,”assuming that the producers heavily influence apparel choices.

Donny’s Charleston was technically the most difficult on the three done. I’m a little bothered that I am ranking him this high, but two of his variations on the basic four step of the Charleston were really superb (but college kids do these in musicals every year). He lost me in the absence of tempo and synchronicity when “in-line” with Kym.

Melissa did well enough, but again, the Charleston is not rocket science once one gets the steps and speed. It was pure showmanship Charleston and her best dance of the season. Overscored by Bruno who will probably one day throw himself on Liza’s grave.

I do disagree with those who said Louie walked through the Two-step last night. He didn’t walk. He shuffled, and didn’t even to that well. In past weeks, some have compared him to Giles. He is no Giles… Giles would have completely owned the Two-step.

Ger

I really like this show but Louie and Michael were really bad last night

I did enjoy Donny, Mya, Kelly and even thought Melissa was half decent

Can anyone tell me the name of the song that Natalie and Alec danced to? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3726680;
    Yes get rid of the singers, god they are worse than Musak in the elevators.
    Whew! I thought I was one of very few who can't stand the DWTS band! What's with the jeweled tiara/headband on the one female vocalist? Is that some type of ethnic thing or is she just trying to stand out?
    This show is on a slippery slope (downhill) due to the lack of real "stars" on the show, and all of the BORING acts they throw in every week just to make a one hour show into two hours.
    I can't make it through an entire program of DWTS - I just check the internet the next day to see who got eliminated. I might start following it more when it gets down to the last 3 finalists but that's going to be a challenge for me to sit through an entire 2 hours.

sdl

A few random comments:
    First, Peacheater, thank you for the analysis of the dances from last night. I found it very interesting and cannot disagree with any of your observations. No need to list them all, I just think you are right on the money. Interesting to compare your rankings with the judges' scores. Also, got a good laugh out of the reference to Bruno throwing himself on Liza's grave.
    Second, my mistake for failing to mention the band in the list of things to fix on the show. Other than the intro song, which I love, they are a huge and perplexing liability - it's not like ABC can't find decent singers, but they don't even though the problem is apparent to almost everyone watching.
    Third, I want to say something nice for a change. Tom Bergeron is one of the funniest, smoothest, and most likable guys in the entertainment business - if not number one in a class by himself. He is great at comforting the contestants, is able to banter with the judges without sounding rude as Ryan Secrest often does, and just has "it."
    Last night, Tom's one liners about Louis' makeup including false eyelashes ("Nice try talking your way out of that one, Louis.." or however it went), and the comment about "the adults are already there [in bed]" after Joanna and Derek's Lambada, were classics. But he does it every week.
    I've got a friend who has known Tom for a long time. They aren't buddies or anything but have reason to be together for varying periods of time a few times a year. It's all business related, but congenial.
    He says that Tom is exactly the same in person as he is on TV, albeit obviously more reserved - but warm, low key, smart, funny, polite and humble.
    That's a great reference.
    Finally, I have played around a lot with the numbers and I think Michael is going home tonight. I think Aaron will be the runner-up. There are polls that absolutely predict otherwise (Louie and Chuck) and maybe they're right. Anyway you slice it, it will be close, but that's my prediction.

sdl

Oh, and one last thing I forgot to mention.
    Nobody in this cast, not even Mya the ultimate pro dancer, can hold a candle to what Gilles brought on a weekly basis last season. Seeing him in the audience just reminds me what a special performer he was, and how that is missing now.
    Hope his new TV series does great.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3726800;
    Oh, and one last thing I forgot to mention.
    Nobody in this cast, not even Mya the ultimate pro dancer, can hold a candle to what Gilles brought on a weekly basis last season. Seeing him in the audience just reminds me what a special performer he was, and how that is missing now.
    Hope his new TV series does great.
    That's how I felt about Apollo. And Mel B. And Drew. Nobody had grabbed me like that this season.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread