+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

*Improving the Show*

There's been a discussion about what's gone wrong with this season, potentially making it the worst ever (at least imo). So maybe this deserves its own thread, but what do you think the show needs to do to revamp itself? I know some of my suggestions will never happen (like scaling the results show back to 1/2 an hour) but what the heck.

My first suggestion: scale back the number of couples. I think sixteen even with an A-list cast would be too many. I think 12 was just enough. Maybe they're doing it because of the amount of injuries and contestants having to drop out in the past 2 seasons, but regardless, I have yet to find one person who thinks having 16 couples was a good idea. The only downside is it'll probably mean some of my favorite pros wouldn't return (namely Alec, Louis, and Anna T.). I would prefer 12 over the odd numbered 13 that they started with in season 7.

On that same note, make the routines a little longer. It's like you blink and they're done. Even with 16 couples and 2 hours, the routines seem so short that you really don't get a sense of their dancing ability. The other downside to 16 couples is we never really get to know any of these contestants. I can't remember who said it in another thread, but since the show loves story lines, there's more they could have worked with this season than Kelly's transformation. But because of too many couples and too little time, it seems like what's the point. Also, no more stunt casting like with Tom Delay. Bless his heart, but it seemed to have backfired, especially since he ended up having to drop out due to an injury. If he was out there to generate buzz and press I don't think people were tuning in in huge numbers because of their curiousity. More like the opposite.

In regards to the judges, I suppose sacking CA is out of the question (but Len, don't ever leave us!) I'd like the judges to stop interrupting, namely Len, because he's the only one who knows what he's talking about and because they don't agree. Maybe they need to get schooled in technique rather than just handing out 10's because one routine entertains them, yet dock another couple because they didn't stick to the basics and say there was nothing about ballroom to it. I wish CA would zip it about her lifts, unless the show realizes how annoying it is for everyone and makes her bring it up. But no one cares, and she proved last week what a hypocrite she is when it comes to the lifts. Now I question all the times she's claimed there were lifts if there were. She was too mezmerized by Mya, was she too bored with someone else? I like the fact that they're scoring low this season, rather than starting off everyone with the usual 7's and 8's. I don't agree with all the scores, but maybe we'll actually see a 1 paddle. I like the fact that they're also pretty stiff with the criticism. But again, favoritisim and bias rears it's ugly head, and some couples are obviously getting a pass because the judges have their crushes. I would also suggest the judges table be off limits for anything and everyone (Donny's smooch with Bruno brought back all that Cloris horror).

Mya has certainly caused a bit of a stink with her experience this season and the fact the show seems to be hiding it. So while I don't object to people with experience, I'd rather see everyone on equal footing, and not at that level. The clunkers are cute, but unless they can show improvement like Louie Vito, I'd rather see people who have a chance to improve. I don't think it's fair to the pros, especially those who continually get the duds. I know the show plays favorites and wants the younger audience, so they give the younger pros with the flashy choreography the celebs that will likely last longer. In regards to dancing, can they have a normal group dance for a change? I'd rather see that sacked all together because I think the last few seasons have been the pits. I hope they've done away with team dances, though I liked that relay dance off they added this season. I would also, in the finale, prefer they don't do the dance off against the others in the final 3. I'd rather just see them do their own dances and their freestyle. I liked the addition of the Argentine Tango and Salsa, but if they're going to add new dances, can they add some that aren't going to be a complete disaster and not for one person's benefit (looking at the WCS and Two Step here). They added the two step for Tom and he's not even around long enough to dance it!

So back the getting younger viewers, I don't think TPTB are going to win that demo if they haven't already, no matter how many screaming Disney tweens they get to appear on the results show, no matter how many younger pros they recruit, and no matter how many former tween stars they cast. I know when I was that age, once the person I liked was gone, so was I. Heck, I'm still sometimes like that.

That's all I can think of for now, besides scaling back the actual episode time of 2 hours, not doing a 3 night premiere with men vs women and sending one of each home. And of course getting rid of Samantha

Re: *Improving the Show*

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3725407;
    And of course getting rid of Samantha
    I know you are serious (and I agree), but that was great.

Hopefully Tom will be a keeper, despite whatever changes are made. He carries the show.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Who is John Galt?

Yeah I agree too about Samantha. She is the worst "host" or "spokes model" on TV. She stutter-steps through interviews, cannot ad lib at all, and has basically "no personality". Tom is so much her opposite (witty, quick to ad-lib, always funny) that he makes her look even worse. I fast forward through her interviews as well as the commercials. She is actually cringe-worthy sometimes.

Len and Bruno are great personalities, knowledgeable, and good foils for each other. Carrie-Ann plays favorites a lot, but she doesn't bother me too much.

They should have more petite girls each season so we can have Louis more often as a pro (he's the greatest). However, I love the eye candy this year - Maks, Dimitry, Alex, and Tony - yummy!

New Anna was a poor choice as an additional pro - she is way too tall for most male "stars", her choreography is pretty basic, and her personality is just "pleasant". But, guess she was the chosen one by the viewers - so be it. But that means casting more of those big, tall guys who can rarely dance.

I definitely agree re scaling back the amount of couples and getting rid of Samantha.
    There were just too many couples this season. I see no need to have more than 10, 12 at the absolute most.
    The show has a srong fanbase, no need to cast polarizing figures either, imo.

Samantha ugh, I don't think I can add much to what's been said over the years.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Samantha doesn't bother me. CA, stop playing favorites, Len too.

Have all the celebrities dancing with an even amount of experience or at least as close as possible. I am really turned off/tuning out by Mya's experience aka Kristi Yamaguchi.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I can't believe I forgot the most obvious one-get a new band! Or at least new singers, I don't know if the band is really that bad. Switch to instrumentals if you have to. And I still don't get, what's with repeating songs? Or artists afraid to allow the show to use their music because of how bad our "best band in all the business" transforms their tunes?

Yes, new singers, please. The one that is particularly grating is the female who does the talking-style songs (can't call it rap). It's not that those songs bother me, it's just her voice and interpretation doing them. I'd mention a recent example, but I have already successfully blanked it out of my brain (yay!).

And the show never (rarely?) shows the singers singing either, they just show them standing there smiling when Tom is giving them accolades.

The only recent song that I recall where the band and singers all did well together was this season's opener "The Boys Are Back In Town".
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I think that shuffling the pairs up would help a little. It is so unfair that someone gets duds every single season. Have them draw names out of a hat like SYTYCD does. Why not every week have the pairs switch it up. When a celebrity gets eliminated, whatever pro they are with goes that week.

Samantha has got to go. I have no idea why this woman is still on the show. She is absolutely the worst excuse for a hostess ever. She even looks like she is in pain when she smiles.

The judges should be replaced one at a time weekly with a fill in. Have Len take a week off, than Carrie, than Bruno. The three of them are getting stale together. My favorite week this season was when Len had the fill in judge. He added something new.

I would love to see a season with the professionals paired with professionals having a competition. I would love to see them all with equals showing us their skills. I would love to see Edyta and Alec dancing together every week, and the endless pairings would be fun to watch.

sdl

This is a great thread, and I like all of the suggestions.
    Unfortunately, I didn't know about this an hour ago when I posted my 10 or 12 things that need to be eliminated next season on the thread for last night's show, and I don't know how to move things between threads.
    I'm still working on the list, though, and will post the updated version here soon.
    For now, I'd simply be happy to never again see Aaron crying, Mya choreographing her own dances, Louis in Joel Grey makeup, Tom DeLay anywhere, Joanna rehabbing her be@tch image at the SPCA, Carrie Ann yelling "wooohoooo!!", Samantha trying to be funny, Michael's partner screwing anyone else up, or the band playing any number other than the intro song.

The singers destroyed that LeAnn Rimes song last night, I cringed when I heard them trying to sing it.

I agree re Samantha. She's the worst co-host that I've ever seen, and I don't get why she's still there. I'm sure many a fan has written in to ABC and stated their displeasure. She especially stands out so badly because Tom is such a wonderful comic and comes up with ad lib and one-liners in the blink of an eye. She can't compete, and bumbles and mumbles and stutters her way through. She can't seem to get a coherent sentence out either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast