+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Re: *Improving the Show*

I'm confused.

I thought the judges were doing the 2 separate scores. They did that last week.
    Yet, thi week it was back to just the 1 score.

What should it be?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3881374;
    I'm confused.

What should it be?
    Whatever it takes to keep whom they want in is my guess.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3881374;
    I'm confused.

What should it be?
    Last week's double scoring was a one time thing. Another gimmick in this season. I actually liked it, if I trusted the judges enough to actually score accordingly.

Thanks to both of you.
    Both answers make sense to me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I still haven't heard any official word of the dance off this season but I really hope they don't have it. I feel like it's going to be a huge disadvantage to either Erin, Chad, or Niecy, if they wind up in the DO against either Jake, Nicole, Evan, or Pamela, as I believe the judges would be more inclined to keep those 4 over the others. I don't even think it's a fair fight to put Nicole or Evan against anyone. That would have been like pitting Donny against Kelly last season (final 3 match up aside).

I'm not really feeling the excitement from this season's group as I have in past seasons. It remains to be seen if it was the Kate factor, but something still feels really off. It's like there's just tired tension, people aren't liking the work ethic involved, I don't know. Maybe it's the same old pro choreography and song selections, or they need new dances/a shake up in what weeks they do what. It's the same old tired pattern of editing and who they're obviously going after to stick around and who they consider dead weight. I think the show's ideal final 4 would be Nicole, Evan, Pam, and Jake. Erin hasn't done so hot, and I think from the comments/scores they aren't cutting Niecy or Chad any real breaks. I think Erin and Niecy will be the next two gone, and Chad will probably sneak into the final 4 and maybe the final 3, unless the DO returns and they send him home.

The judges need to figure out their scoring procedures and not dock certain couples for one thing but completely praise another for doing virtually the same thing. It comes off as obvious that you either have a beef with that couple or are trying to save the latter. They also need to have their scores match up better with their comments. I'm not really sure what's been going on with them the last couple of weeks. They don't like Nicole's performances, yet she gets 8s and 9s. It also seems like, in addition to Kate, this has been the Pam and Jake show co-starring Nicole and Evan. I feel like Erin and Chad have gotten minimal attention and face time in the little spots run during results show night, and if it wasn't for Niecy's loud personality, I think she'd be hiding in the background, too. When they do a themed night, they should be told gimmicks are allowed and you can't call a couple out for it or not allow them at all. Movie night was a mess. Some were cute, but Erin/Mak's jive was just like Apolo/Julianne's (I don't know if they got to pick their movie selections or not). Cute attempt, loved the choregraphy, thought it was Erin's best dancer, definitely underscored, but it was just like watching the season 4 champs all over again. And I don't get what it is about themes this season.

I'm really disappointed they're doing a marathon/scored dance next week instead of a regular group dance. It's more of an attempt for the judges to boost their couples up. Either that or they need to make the scoring not so far apart. Evan and Nicole will be the last two standing, and Nicole will win. Calling it right now. Oh, and since it can't be said enough: get new singers. You guys outdo yourselves every season with how bad you get.

FORT Fogey

I think the pros are getting burned out on the same old tired format, and the same old tired judges crazy scoring. I do not know how this show stays high in the ratings as I am starting to not even make it through my DVR recording without fastforwarding through so much of it.

I think what you are feeling is what I am feeling that the same professionals get the same types of dancers, and the same professionals are always on the show with those same types of professionals for a long tme. How many times has Maks had the fouth place girl? He gets that same place all the time. How many times does Tony get the older bad dancing lady? How many times can the judges get rid of Edyta the fastest? How many times does Derek get the best dancer. Other than Anna, this season is too predictable. That is what is wrong with the show.

The show will be better when the two scores are for technical skill and degree of difficulty.

It will also be better if there are no silly post-dance interviews. The Olympics still get viewers believe it or not when the scores come immediately after the performance without interviews. I don't believe ABC will lose any viewers who feel if Samantha/Brooke cannot do interviews, they will stop watching.

P.S. It will save time.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3885902;
    The show will be better when the two scores are for technical skill and degree of difficulty.

It will also be better if there are no silly post-dance interviews. The Olympics still get viewers believe it or not when the scores come immediately after the performance without interviews. I don't believe ABC will lose any viewers who feel if Samantha/Brooke cannot do interviews, they will stop watching.

P.S. It will save time.
    I kind of don't think they're trying to save time. In fact, often they're trying to kill time.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3883025;
    I think the pros are getting burned out on the same old tired format, and the same old tired judges crazy scoring. I do not know how this show stays high in the ratings as I am starting to not even make it through my DVR recording without fastforwarding through so much of it.

I think what you are feeling is what I am feeling that the same professionals get the same types of dancers, and the same professionals are always on the show with those same types of professionals for a long tme. How many times has Maks had the fouth place girl? He gets that same place all the time. How many times does Tony get the older bad dancing lady? How many times can the judges get rid of Edyta the fastest? How many times does Derek get the best dancer. Other than Anna, this season is too predictable. That is what is wrong with the show.

I agree with you. Could we all send your post to ABC? Maybe having the more controversial celebs on the show bring new viewers but I suspect if they don't change something, they'll be losing a number of us fans who've been watching a long time. I miss the days of watching for enjoyment, when I never gave a thought as to how the judges were scoring or why.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3885931;
    I kind of don't think they're trying to save time. In fact, often they're trying to kill time.
    Bingo. If ABC ever had to cut costs on this show, Brooke would likely be the first to go. Every other show like this I think has just one host. Tom would be fine, because no matter who's playing second, it comes off as dull, standard, and awkward. I may mute the interviews between Maks/Erin and Cheryl/Chad just because Brooke might actually ask them again about whether or not they're an item.

I have noticed that, since season 7, some of the pros just haven't been their usual selves. I mentioned earlier this season that it must be nice being Derek and Anna, as you really have that security of going nowhere soon. Tony, Edyta, Ashly all knew they were screwed. Again. I can't believe, even if they are all friends, it isn't just as frustrating to them to see the same pros luck out every single season while they continue to get the ones with attitude or who make a walrus look graceful. I remember an interview Karina gave during season 8 that asked about Cheryl getting the cream of the crop yet again, and she said she wished she knew what she did to always get the partners she did. I think the show needs to stop letting the celebs request their pros. I don't even know if their is a process of pairing them up anymore like their used to be, it's like they say who they want and that's that. I think that maybe the casual regular viewers of this show probably don't pay much attention to the judges, scoring, or editing, likely think Nicole and Evan should be in the finals because they were heads and tails better than everyone week 1, and probably are the type that don't even vote. The show is what it is to them, just a cheesy show with a bunch of D-listers that are looking to get their name in the spotlight.

I feel like it's all a strategic planning process on the show's part. I really think Derek must have something in his contract, because even Cheryl, Julianne, and Mark went out before 6th place, his lowest finishing spot ever. It could be the judges, but they'd have to show me it really has to do with his popularity as to why he always gets the ringer, or close to it. I had said before that, while I'd certainly miss my favorites, just for a season bring on pros from different versions of DWTS or just professional ballroom dancers here in the states. No one would go in having the advantage of being the favorite pro. And it might spice things up. Personally, I think there needs to be a rule in place. I don't follow every international DWTS edition, but the ones I have I've never seen so giving of 8s, 9s, and 10s, especially this early. Maybe say the judges can't give any higher than a 7 or an 8 the first few weeks, at least to try and make people work for it, and maybe make them actually have to score the really bad dancers what they earned when they don't have that wide spread. But again, it's probably just planning, because they likely think no one would be happy seeing the celebs getting 2s and 3s and rather 7s for doing your absolute worst and 10 for being the ringer.

+ Reply to Thread