+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Re: *Improving the Show*

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3877740;
    I remember the year TB won the Daytime Emmy over Regis Philbin for Game Show Host. It was supposed to be a lock for RP for "Who wants to be a MIllionaire" and the reaction was apparent - TB deserved it - although I cant' remember what he won it for.
    I had no idea, but I looked it up.

Hollywood Squares.
    I never saw the show with him, but I imagine with his quick wit, he was a terrific host.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3877740;
    I remember the year TB won the Daytime Emmy over Regis Philbin for Game Show Host. It was supposed to be a lock for RP for "Who wants to be a MIllionaire" and the reaction was apparent - TB deserved it - although I cant' remember what he won it for.
    Wasn't it Hollywod Squares?

ETA - I see norealityhere beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3877792;
    Wasn't it Hollywod Squares?

ETA - I see norealityhere beat me to it!
    Great minds are on the same wavelength!!
    Or, in my case, they're googling it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I realized I got caught up in the moment of typing saying Brooke was leaving on maternity leave; I guess it was the thought of Samantha finding a way to grasp her way back on the show. Though maybe the joke will be on Brooke Anyway, still hoping Brooke will not be a 1 host wonder but I can't believe she would be.

I think the show is better with fewer couples. I do miss some of the pros and hope we will continue to see them in feature numbers. To be honest, many of them are better dancers than choreographers, and their skills are better showcased on the dance floor in the exhibition numbers.
    I have noticed that, for the knocks some of the pros get for being poor teachers/choreographers, they are fantastic to watch in a pro number. That's their element. It's why it's unfortuante you get people that are dragged across the dance floor like Kate and Buzz that seem to hinder what the pros can really do. I did forget to mention that having fewer couples is so much better. I hope they learned to never go above 13 again, though I think 12 is the ideal number, but 11 is plenty.

I disagree about recycling the songs. I would much prefer a recycled song that appropriately conveys the mood and rhythm of the dance than a song that has been poorly morphed into a ballroom piece. When that happens you stop focusing on the dance and start looking for someplace to hurl.
    I know there's a process getting songs approved in the first place, and from what I read about pros selecting the songs used, their list usually gets chopped in half right away because they can't get permission to use it (with these singers, I can't blame the original artists). It's possible they are asking to use repeats from previous seasons, but of all the songs out there, I just wish they'd try and refrain from using tunes they already had, especially if they've been used in more than one season. Besides, it's hard not to compare the new dance to the original couple who danced to the exact same song, maybe even the same dance style. I hope no one ever comes out and paso's to "Free Your Mind" or a freestyle to "Bust a Move".

I don't like the addition of the celebuquarium. It just seems to emulate the "swaybot pit" on AI and I dislike that, as well. In the case of DWTS's aquarium, it just seems to dissociate the cast from the viewers.
    There are way too many attempts at backstage theatrics these days. It's all staged and it's done way too cheesy. I thought the show sunk to new levels last season when they tried to pimp Joanna out as an animal lover and overall "warm" person. It didn't work then and it's not working now.
    I do love that the show has such a variety of people on it. It ensures an appeal to every demographic, etc. and that's a very good thing.
    I also like that the producers of the show do give us plenty of face time with Tom B. He's one of the best hosts on any TV show. Great acerbic wit. He's got just enough of the snark factor going to remind us that this is, first and foremost, a cheesy entertainment show!
    Between the themes and the glass house, it does seem like they gave up trying to turn this show into SYTYCD the 2nd, and are trying to appeal to the Idol viewers. Idol does the whole theme nights and has the couches/sky box. Never liked it on that show and don't like it here. Chad's romancing of Cheryl, fake or real, has gotten beyond old. I remember last season with Joanna and also Mya (can't remember what charitable thing they had her do) but thought it was interesting the two who were the blandest in personality and one who had a not so nice reputation coming into the show got the pimp spots for being in the running for Miss Charity 2009. Who would have ever thought Joanna was the foul mouthed sore loser self centered diva when she's sitting there holding a cute little puppy? With the exception of casting reality show personalities, I did like the addition of Buzz. He was something different on this show and a different demographic to hit on. Same with the Woz. I'd have to hear who the reality show personality is; I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Jeff Probst or Phil Keoghan, but as for actual contestants or people like Kate? I'll pass.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-15-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Karalott,
    Are you saying Brooke is pregnant again?
    Did I misunderstand, or is she trying to emulate Kate?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3877888;
    Karalott,
    Are you saying Brooke is pregnant again?
    Did I misunderstand, or is she trying to emulate Kate?
    Brooke said she was, but then came out and said it was an April Fool's joke. Actually, I read it was a joke first and elsewhere people were running with it, and somehow it got lost in translation that one of the female pros might be pregnant (way to go, Brooke) Which is why I said maybe the joke will be on her. Probably a good thing she's not, as Kate would drag her into her spin of working moms and justifying why she's doing what she's doing for a living

Thanks for clarifying.
    If memory serves, her last 2 kids are with David Charvet.
    So, if they have a 3rd one together, I hope they decide to get married.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 04-16-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Since they seem to be determined to bring on "stars" with a very wide range of dance backgrounds, I suggest that they either:

1. Split the couples into two pools--Pool A will the be ringers like Nicole and Evan. Pool B will be all the others. Both pools will be the same size so at the end we'll have one winner from each that will be the finalists. Maybe have 3 pools instead of 2. It may seem like a forgone conclusion that the Pool A "star" will win, but this approach would actually give a talented (but inexperienced) dancer the chance to improve over the weeks, so this might actually be competitive.

2. Use a "handicap" scoring system like used in golf. (The judges are sort of doing this informally now by scoring the experienced couples stricter than the novices, but maybe this could be formalized.)

We're talking about improving the show again? OK - please get rid of the singers. Please, oh puhleeze! They are distracting. Simply horrible. And while they're at it, please use some good songs for these dances! We've all talked about it in the past, but I don't want to take precious time away trying to figure out how THAT (fill in the blank) could be construed as a tango, rumba, waltz, etc. They're just not thinking. Or maybe they're thinking they're being artistic or creative. Um, not really.

Thank you for getting rid of Samantha. Brooke is trying and she'll eventually fit in, but I'll stand by my previous rant and say that I would take anyone over Samantha.

That celeb-aquarium is weird. What is it, really? It seems to me that they're just trying to introduce new things to keep our interest. Is this show in the process of jumping the shark? Hmmmmmm.

And let's leave the ringers at home, shall we? I don't think anyone likes the introduction of these celebrities who've had professional dance experience, or who use dance in their careers. Oh, and how about giving the pros an even chance of getting a clunker celebrity. Mr. Hough should have been assigned the dreaded Kate. Now, if he could have worked a miracle with someone like that, then I'd feel differently about him. I'd like to see a metamorphasis, like Chelsie and Ty or Louie and Kelly.

About the judges - maybe having the 2 scores is a good thing, because I don't know what they're scoring sometimes! I still don't know how Bruno could have knocked Derek's QS and then given them a score of 9! How could that be? (That just appeals to my conspiracy theory that Derek has very unflattering videotape of the judges and producers at the alphabet channel! )

FORT Fogey

Get rid of Carrie Ann and Bruno. Len is kind of all over the place, but he makes sense and is on track for the most part. Bruno is an idiot period. He is way too over the top, and Carrie Ann is just annoying. Have Len with two guest judges a week so that we get a more fair representation of scores instead of block scoring like we get now.

I am in the minority, but I like some of the theme weeks. I liked the movie theme because it puts a new twist on the dancing. I hate the group dances though as whomever gets the dud, gets the low score, and Derek always seems to be in the group that does not.

Let the dances not be so critical to have arm, head, posture, leads, etc be so important. If this stuff was easy to learn, than we would have a lot more professional dancers. Let the dances be a little more fun and entertaining. I don't know about all the viewers, but I have no clue what a good dance looks like, but I know when I am entertained and tired of the critiques being so harsh.

Realizing that not everyone has rhythm. You cannot teach it. Kate should not be on the show because she has no rhythm at all period. Test these stars a little better, and make sure they are not going to look completely foolish like Master P, Kate, and Kenny Mayne. I am sorry but I do not find it funny to watch the humiliation.

People over seventy if going to be on need to get a little more respect for the effort. The judges were so harsh on Buzz it made me sick. The man is eighty years old and not a dancer, wht do they expect. Can't it just be fun to watch without all the cutdowns.

Give Derek someone without experience. He should have gotten Kate period. I cannot think of another professional that has not had it bad but him. Maks is getting close, but he had Debi and Denise which were pretty bad. Tony needs someone with some ability as does Edyta. They are good people and have fans.

Have a show with pros dancing with pros. I would love to see Edyta/Alec, Johnathon/Ana, Mark/Chelsie, and the others paired up and dancing against each other for our votes. Than the judges could critique harsher. These pros are getting to be bigger stars than some of the actual stars, lets showcase them and see some real dancing.

+ Reply to Thread