+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

FORT Fogey

Re: *Improving the Show*

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3729673;
    Love this thread. Thanks for starting it. Here's my 2 rupees......Please take Samantha off already. It's too painful to watch her try to banter with people Like nails on a chalkboard OK. I feel better now.

I love the idea of having a Dancing with the All-Stars edition!!! Outstanding suggestion! I think previous shows were better because there were less contestants and you got to know each one better. I can't remember who danced what with whom at the end of a 2-hour show. Less is more.

Please stick with more traditional music. I can't get into some of this off-beat music that's supposed to be a waltz, or latin dance, etc. Jeeez, the music they pick is awful sometimes. And those singers are terrible! (Gosh, am I being snarky enough???? Sorry. Maybe we should have a cat claws smiley....) Anyway, I can't remember the song last week, or the dancers (major ear trauma), but the singer was off-key throughout the majority of the song. Please. The singing is terrible.

(I just read this back and think I need to find some chocolate )
    Do you suppose that lady might consider taking that thing off her head?
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3729705;
    Do you suppose that lady might consider taking that thing off her head?
    Are you talking about the singer? If she's the one who butchered that song, then perhaps she could blame it on a too-tight headband!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Here's an article about what's gone wrong this season. Here's the link, and this is pretty much the article, but here's some points I really liked. I don't agree with everything they said, but I tend to agree that they pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of what went wrong this season (which I think is the most talked about season in terms of having the most wrong with it):

"Dancing with the Stars" Fading Glory - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

On the pros:

I started thinking about my lack of enthusiasm and what was behind it. It wasn't a matter of no longer enjoying the professional dancers do what they do best. That enthusiasm was still there, despite mourning the loss of Julianne Hough or the return of bad boys Alec Mazo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy.

I will admit to being tired of great dancers like Cheryl Burke, Edyta Swilinska, Jonathan Roberts, and Tony Dovolani being paired with celebrities that ensure them an early drop out. On the other hand, it's fun to watch "So You Think You Can Dance" alumnus Dmitry Chaplin, Chelsie Hightower, and Lacey Schwimmer strut their considerable talents on the floor.

At least, this season, viewers finally got a chance to see Kym Johnson in full action. She has moves that she's never had the chance to show off in recent cycles.

While new comer Anna Demidova appears to be a talented dancer, her choreography has been less than stellar. Anna Trebunskaya, although talented, doesn't seem to have the star power she needs to build a loyal following.

Karina Smirnoff is always a pleasure to watch on the dance floor. There is no denying that she is one of the best pros in the bunch. However, putting up with the daggers she throws the judges and the audience when things don't go her way is just too much to ask.

It could have also been a slap at her pro partner, Alec Mazo. His arrogance doesn't play well to the audiences or the judges.
    The celebs:

Focusing on the celebrities, it was easy to see this year's crop is pretty lackluster. It is chock full of so-called stars of which television viewers have never heard. Because of that, it's often hard to get invested in their successes or failures.

Case in point, singer Mya and model Joana Krupa. These girls are undeniably great dancers and probably the leaders of the competition. But who cares? Many viewers don't know enough about them to get invested and root for them.

While Aaron Carter might be well known to the younger crowd, his "look at me" arrogant attitude has obviously not played well with older DWTS' viewers. He keeps landing in the bottom two despite his excellent technique and dancing skill.

The choice to include Tom Delay in this cycle is questionable at best. While he proved to be charming in a self-effacing way, it was clearly not going to carry him very far. Plus, his dropping out of the competition denied viewers one of their favorite pro dancers (Cheryl Burke).

The backlash against Olympian, Natalie Coughlin, was likely in response to the dominance of Olympians in past competitions. I admit that I vowed never to tune in again if yet another Olympian won the competition. Enough was enough!
    And overall:

1. The loss of popular professional dancers early in the competition.
    2. New pros that don't have any punch.
    3. Return of professional dancers that haven't played well to the audience in the past.
    4. Inclusion of lackluster "stars".
    5. Celebrity dance leaders that most viewers don't know.
    6. No big name, challenged, or "naughty" celebrities like Heather Mills or Cloris Leachman.
    7. No surprises like Marie Osmond's fainting spell or John Hurley's self-proclamation as the "real" winner.
    8. The same old judges saying the same old thing and rating celebrity amateurs like they were pros.
    9. The lack of comedy beyond that provided by Bergeron.
    10. No "fun" factor. Donny and Kelly are trying to carry that all on their own.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.

If they're going to keep the team dances, here's something I think they should do: as others have said, it seems only fair that both teams do the same one. It's bad enough one side gets its self esteem completely crushed, so doing the same dance might be worse. But it just seems like the more fair thing to do to really compare and contrast. Also, they need to make the sides more balanced. It was obvious that Team Tango had better choreographers in Kym, Louis, and Derek, and all the judges favorites (aside from Mya/Dmitry) were on that side. Much like season 7's team cha cha that had Cody/Edyta, Lance/Lacey, and Susan/Tony against Warren/Kym, Maurice/Cheryl, and Brooke/Derek (and those guys had a dance Warren and Brooke had already excelled at).

I haven't been Mark's biggest fan, and I know the judges will say they can't judge his situation any differently. But I think they really needed to cut him some slack. This wasn't a pro stepping in right away or within just a few days, this was last minute, on a very tight schedule as it was, and having to learn two dances last minute. This wasn't even like last season where they judged rehearsal footage of Melissa and Steve-O because of injuries taking them out. Plus, they always hype up when a new partner steps in or when someone's injured and a will they or won't they type of deal. I guess Mark/Lacey aren't as important as Delay, Melissa R., Julianne and Derek.

And while I want their to be a restriction for the contestants not to go near the judges table before, during, or after their performance for any reason whatsoever, I think the same needs to be said about the judges. Bruno, stay in your seat, and CA, please stay off the dance floor and don't go out and spank anyone. They really need two hours for that?

FORT Fanatic

Well the latest kick in the groin is that if the combined total of score and fan vote doesn't automatically send Mark home he will be performing a KO dance with Anna. A morning practise is scheduled. Lacey at this point is still too sick to have clearance to return to the show.

Not that I think the show would care as it would provide press and controversy, but I expect a bit of a backlash if Mark goes home tomorrow. Especially in the DO. It really wasn't a fair fight for him, and as I mentioned above, his circumstances weren't exactly like others who had a pro sub or who had a celeb injured. People across the web already seem upset at the judges and really, for having such short of practice time, I actually thought his samba was a decent effort.

Maks has tweeted for people to vote for Derek/Joanna and Mark/Anna. If the show is like previous seasons with the team dances, everyone from Team Tango will be announced safe first (assuming they all are), Tom will do the 'everyone from Team Paso is in danger' bit, then the lucky party from that side is announced as safe and we have our bottom 3.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-03-2009 at 04:33 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3741959;
    If they're going to keep the team dances, here's something I think they should do: as others have said, it seems only fair that both teams do the same one. It's bad enough one side gets its self esteem completely crushed, so doing the same dance might be worse. But it just seems like the more fair thing to do to really compare and contrast. Also, they need to make the sides more balanced. It was obvious that Team Tango had better choreographers in Kym, Louis, and Derek, and all the judges favorites (aside from Mya/Dmitry) were on that side. Much like season 7's team cha cha that had Cody/Edyta, Lance/Lacey, and Susan/Tony against Warren/Kym, Maurice/Cheryl, and Brooke/Derek (and those guys had a dance Warren and Brooke had already excelled at).

snipped for space
    Forget even fair and just....comparing the same dance would give the judges a better shot at accuracy in scoring.

Next, besides choice of dance (paso is going to beat out cha-cha every time), the next most important element in any analysis would have to be the choreographers. The team could have the very best dancers, but if they have nothing to dance, it isn't going to do them no good.
    When I saw Derek and Louie who are both excellent choreographers, I felt like Team Tango (despite the fact that the Tango is less dramatic and flashy than the Paso) would prevail over the other team.
    As it was, the rehearsal clip showed that Team Paso was having trouble even getting started. They lacked the strong choreographic leadership that Derek and Louie provided.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I take it because of the luke warm reception Anna Demidova got, they cancelled the pro contest, at least for this season. She seemed to get her mojo the last couple of weeks she and Michael were there, so I wonder if she'll be back next season. Julianne has said she probably wouldn't return until the fall season, if she does at all.

I hope next season they ditch the DO in any form. If they keep it, which I'm thinking is likely, I hope it doesn't extend more than the 3 weeks planned. But the judges get their say, the audience gets there's, I don't think the judges should get the final say in who goes home. I also hope there's not as many group/team dances next season. It seems like every other week, they're dancing together in some form. I liked the relay dances they did week 1. I know the group/team dances likely aren't going anywhere. I didn't dig the competition mambo, more because of the lop sided of the scoring, plus it's just another way for the judges favoritism to come in. I would rather see the couples learn 2 individual dances.

I also wish at the start of the season, the dances were longer. It seems like it'd help the dancers to maybe learn more quickly if they had a longer routine to practice with, rather than a quick job and nothing really to judge. Some people do watch for the quality of dancing, and I think the dances have suffered by the couples having to worry about their own dances, the KO dances, and all the group/team stuff. I did like the hustle as a group dance, so I hope the days of country western and hip hop themes are over. And more than anything, I really hope Jonathan, Anna T., Edyta, and Maks get really good contenders next season that can possibly get them into the finals, or at least beyond the half way point for a change.

Give up on trying to get the young crowd and be happy for the big "older" viewership! So, do away with hip hop and other youngish type guest singers...and bring on the tappers, kids, and other classic singing stars that we all want to see!

Couldn't agree more. I doubt all the rappers, hip hop, etc., young audiance watch this type show. When the young singers (that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) come on I mute it. If I have to mute too much I switch channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3742262;
    Forget even fair and just....comparing the same dance would give the judges a better shot at accuracy in scoring.

Next, besides choice of dance (paso is going to beat out cha-cha every time), the next most important element in any analysis would have to be the choreographers. The team could have the very best dancers, but if they have nothing to dance, it isn't going to do them no good.
    When I saw Derek and Louie who are both excellent choreographers, I felt like Team Tango (despite the fact that the Tango is less dramatic and flashy than the Paso) would prevail over the other team.
    As it was, the rehearsal clip showed that Team Paso was having trouble even getting started. They lacked the strong choreographic leadership that Derek and Louie provided.
    As well as Kym helping with the choreography. She's great and has the knack for showcasing her partners strengths.
    That team of pro's was pretty saavy, too. I remember in the rehearsal footage that they had already worked out the choreography amongst themselves before meeting with their celebs to teach it. The other team didn't do so and wasted time with egos clashing and trying to put things together when they should've been practicing.

+ Reply to Thread