+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Re: *Improving the Show*

As seasons pass, it becomes more and more difficult to make the show compelling for existing audiences. Yes, each season's cast brings their own dynamic to the show, in many ways making it new and different. I, for one, enjoyed the dancing. Yes, I had my favorites, but it was still about the performances for me.

After the first few seasons, I began to notice a change. Perhaps the old formula (more dancing, less personality-dependent behind-the-scenes drama) made the show a little too predictable for those accustomed to more emotional and dynamic reality programming. IMO, the producers began to make more calculated decisions in whom they cast for the show. The more controversial the star, the better the storylines they can craft to go along with the dancing.

Not so suddenly, the whole tenor of DWTS has changed. TPTB are obviously trying to attract new viewers, but I feel they do so at the expense of their longtime, faithful viewers. Unfortunately, I don't know how much longer I can last!

It becomes even more exasperating when one considers the judges' behavior in scoring this season.
    I'd like to have Peacheater's take. Do we expect that he'll return to the board soon?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

One other thing I might suggest, and that may freshen up the choreography/routines, is getting rid of dance styles, mixing the order up a little more, and maybe adding new dances styles. Not the novelty dances like two step or rock n roll (Strictly did that last season). I don't think the show needs the tango AND Argentine Tango, the waltz and Viennese waltz. I'd rather see them bring back the salsa and mambo and get rid of the cha cha (they all look the same anymore). Having the samba the first week would be a change, and give the couples more time to practice it. I've heard that's one of the harder dance styles to master on here, so having 4+ weeks vs having a few days might do some good to the performance aspect. I did like the addition of the Charleston and Lindy Hop, even though they stray into novelty. Len had said he'd never give a jitterbug a 10, so dances like that (which is stupid of him but whatever), or dances the pros themselves aren't familiar with and have to Youtube and google I don't think should be added.

I don't think it helps that they only judge out of ten. It doesn't give them a lot of leeway and they seem to automatically penalize the earlier performances each week. Unless you come out and dance an absolutely flawless routine I think generally you stand to get a couple of points less if you dance early.
    Even so, the jduges should still have made use of the full ten points.
    I think the whold scoring system could use a re-vamp. Not only does going first sometimes guarantee a much lower score than deserved, but you get someone like Jake, who gave a pitiful samba and still got a 21, someone with an almost mediocre performance might get overscored as a result because they weren't as bad. I don't know if having a wider range to score from would be a good thing or a bad thing. Not only do I think the scoring/comments are becoming inconsistant, but there's also something calculating about it. It's becoming more obvious with the editing who the show is aiming to get through and who they want gone. I would actually like to see more about the scoring, how it works and how the votes are totaled. It'd be interesting to hear if a couple that scores a 21 with the judges, what they'd need in terms of fan votes to keep them safe.

I'm not keen on the marathons either. The placings seemed off for the swing marathon.
    The team dancers can be unfair depending on whether there are still any duds left at that point.
    A few seasons back Lacey and Lance were excellent in their team dance, but the other couples brought down the overall score.
    Most unfair when a couple of points can make all the difference.
    I think the marathons are more to boost the scores of certain couples, but really, it didn't look like much swing dancing going on out there. It looked like random people plucked from the audience just shaking their hips about and maybe doing a lift here and there. I'm glad they scaled back all the relay/team/mega mix/group dances from last season, but I feel like they all kind serve the same purpose if they get scored-just to prop someone else up and drop someone else down a few pegs. Season 7 was probably the worst in terms of team dances being lopsided. I think it helps when you at least have a strong set of pros to choreograph, even if there's one or two celebs that are weak, dance wise.

There are so many pros now that it wouldn't hurt for a few of the almost ever-present pros to take a break.
    I love Edyta, but her choreography lets her down, imo, and as much as I'd like to see her win I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon.
    I love watching Derek dance and almost always enjoy his choreography, but don't see why he and Mark were cast again this season while Dmitry wasn't, unless of course Dmitry either asked not to participate for some reason.
    I don't recall Cheryl ever taking a year off.
    I enjoy her too, but if it was to ever come down to her or Ashley Costa one season I would have no trouble with Cheryl stepping aside for Ashley.
    From what I read, Dmitry had every intention of wanting to return and was told at the last minute he wasn't included on the roster. I'm not completely against the addition of new pros, but I feel like we have a decent enough set that it surprised me they'd add Damian but not ask back Dmitry, Jonathan, or Alec to be paired with Pam. I do like Damian, and wouldn't mind seeing him again, however. There's enough regular pros, and maybe even some of the one timers, that they could almost have one set for the fall, one for the spring, and maybe add a newbie here and there to fill in any vacancies. I adore Edyta and mainly want her to stick around just so she can finally win. The pros that I most look forward to are her, Kym, Anna T., Chelsie, Maks, Tony, Louis, Jonathan, Alec, and Dmitry. Cheryl I used to be a huge fan of but something about the overall demeanor of some of the pros seems to be waning every season. I was so happy to see Ashly back this season and hope to see her again, maybe with someone that has better potential. Some of the long-term pros seem to be branching out into various entertainment venues, and Edyta has mentioned she and Alec want to have children. So I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some of them MIA in the next season or two.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Stop scoring team dances. It's totally unfair and against the grain of the show to let other dancers pull you down (or lift you up). I don't mind the idea too much, but it shouldn't affect who goes home. Have the team dances, if they must, but turn it into a weekly reward challenge for something like on Survivor. After all the hard work they do each week, it would be good to let them get some kind of reward opportunity weekly. It's easy to cross-market this, too, e.g., winner gets diamond jewelry or a new car or a shopping spree. It would be more fun, too!
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

If they're going to keep team dances, I think I'd rather see them score like they do the marathon dances and relay dances, where they rank a couple. So yeah, it still might not make an impact as the judges can boost who they want even if they don't deserve it, just to give them the higher scores, and tonight would have been pointless to rank the teams. Maybe they could do like the final 3 dance off and score them individually. I'd rather see them just perform two individual dances but if they keep the team dance, they need to find a better score solution. Tonight was probably a better idea to use the two scores for technique and entertainment. They probably would have come out even.

And hearing the latest possible rumor for season 11 (already the rumor mill is getting started), former PM Tony Blair, I really hope it's all a hoax. I have to believe it is, but I really would rather see "stars", no matter how D-list or a has been that they are, and I think they can still find a variety of genres to turn to than the former girl/boy bander and teen heartthrob. I just hope they say no to politicians. No matter how well liked they might be, I just think it's a bad choice. I used to so look forward to cast spoilers and the announcement of the cast, but now it's something I'm beginning to dread.

One host. There I said it. I don't think it's necessary for two hosts. Tom is big enough to do all hosting duties himself. He could do the interviews afterwards or they can be dropped completely and go straight to the scores. The question and answer to "How do you feel about your scores?" is a complete waste of time!!

People complained about Samantha Harris and they are complaining about Brooke Burke. Now they are talking about replacing Burke. I don't see the need to do that. Just cut the lame dead air space and give the scores! The cheesy, boring, redundant, superficial, useless chit chat by the hostess after the dances is the weakest part of a long evening.

A lot of TV shows have one host and it works perfectly. Did Tom need a partner for his other gig? Does Jeff need a partner for Survivor? Phase it out, ABC, phase it out!
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Drop Brooke, find something else to fill the time with. She's worthless, Samantha was worthless (but at least good for a laugh). You're right that asking the couples whether they have a romance or how they felt after just getting ripped by the judges and taking home a total score of 10 is pointless. Samantha at least was awkward enough to cause a laugh. Brooke is just dead weight.

Get rid of theme nights. At the very least, put everyone more on an equal playing field. No more marathon dances where the judges score (let the audience decide-at least the other couples might have a shot), keep the same dance for the team dances but get equal songs, and since it can't be said enough, the judges need to get more consistant with their comments and scores for every couple.

I'll add my vote for one host. Tom can handle all of it, much as Cat Deeley does on So You Think You Can Dance.

I also agree with more consistant and fairer scoring by the judges across the board. They are losing more and more credibility with each season. Replace Carrie Ann with a ballroom professional such as Ron Montez or Jenell Maranto.

Invite the dance troup Pilobolus to perform on the show. They are fantastic and not seen nearly enough on tv.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

A couple of things I'd be curious about-how much pull does the show have in making couples use gimmicks/props, and do they get the final say on the costume designs? I can see some minor props/gimmicks being the pros idea, but the bigger uses (the Muppets, the big Egyptian showcase for Jake/Chelsie's quick step, the table and chairs for Pam/Damian), I wonder if the show says they have to incorporate it into the routine whether they want to or not.

Doing a compare/contrast in the first 5 seasons to now, it was mainly just dancing, no props, gimmicks, fancy (or odd) entrances. Now it feels like they're trying to make an extremely off Broadway production of their 90 second routines. So I'd just let the pros go out and choreograph and forget the funky, flashy stuff in between. Len hates it, but of course that gets him criticizing, the audience booing, CA and Bruno arguing with him, and the viewing audience getting upset that he's docking points for props/gimmicks. So I guess that won't go anywhere I just want a season next time with less drama, no stunt casting, equal playing field with the pros, more consistant judging and less favoritism/OTT crap, and maybe some actual judging and not just simple 'I didn't like your ankles' and have that be the only thing Ms. Fly Girl Inaba can come up with. I'd be perfectly happy with them replacing CA. The fall season is usually when Len takes a week off because he's doing Strictly as well, but how I wish CA or even Bruno would take a week off instead. If they get a guest judge, get one that balance out those 2.

And if Brooke is there for filler purposes, I'm sure they can find something else to spend the time on. Get some pro performances on how the dances should look. I figure if they ever start cutting back on this show, the co-host position and the red room/celeb-quarium will be the first to go anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3902763;
    A couple of things I'd be curious about-how much pull does the show have in making couples use gimmicks/props, and do they get the final say on the costume designs? I can see some minor props/gimmicks being the pros idea, but the bigger uses (the Muppets, the big Egyptian showcase for Jake/Chelsie's quick step, the table and chairs for Pam/Damian), I wonder if the show says they have to incorporate it into the routine whether they want to or not.

Doing a compare/contrast in the first 5 seasons to now, it was mainly just dancing, no props, gimmicks, fancy (or odd) entrances. Now it feels like they're trying to make an extremely off Broadway production of their 90 second routines. So I'd just let the pros go out and choreograph and forget the funky, flashy stuff in between. Len hates it, but of course that gets him criticizing, the audience booing, CA and Bruno arguing with him, and the viewing audience getting upset that he's docking points for props/gimmicks. So I guess that won't go anywhere I just want a season next time with less drama, no stunt casting, equal playing field with the pros, more consistant judging and less favoritism/OTT crap, and maybe some actual judging and not just simple 'I didn't like your ankles' and have that be the only thing Ms. Fly Girl Inaba can come up with. I'd be perfectly happy with them replacing CA. The fall season is usually when Len takes a week off because he's doing Strictly as well, but how I wish CA or even Bruno would take a week off instead. If they get a guest judge, get one that balance out those 2.

And if Brooke is there for filler purposes, I'm sure they can find something else to spend the time on. Get some pro performances on how the dances should look. I figure if they ever start cutting back on this show, the co-host position and the red room/celeb-quarium will be the first to go anyway.
    Bringing up the whole "props" thing, I think it would improve the show if the judging were fair and equitable. How can you dock points for Pam and Damien using the table and chairs but not dock points for Nicole and Derek using the park bench and newspapers? Both performances were good and the props added to them. The blatant favoritism makes me angry and start considering not watching in the future. (And if I get irritated enough, I won't watch - I no longer watch the Batchelor because of their crap.)
    Say what you will about CA in her "lift police" mission, it has almost always been straight across the board in enforcement. If props are not to be used, that should also be enforced across the board. (And yes, I know it isn't a "rule" per say, but if points can be docked for some, they should be docked for ALL.)

It's odd to me that they hired Brooke for the spot. If they thought that Samantha was lacking for whatever reasons, you would think they would go with a more polished A- Lister for the spot. Brooke is a very nice and pretty woman but she is so obviously not a polished professional and it shows. I know she has done some TV as hostess but as a live co-host it seems so amateurish. Not her fault, just the truth...I still like two hosts. It was more fun to see what Samantha was wearing as Brooke seems to wear the same outfit every week only in a different fabric. She has skinny legs and those mini dresses aren't even all that flattering and do not add to the "ballroom" atmosphere. I have nothing against her at all just seems that would have a more appropriate straight man for Tom's jokes. Someone fun and vivacious naturally.

+ Reply to Thread