+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

sdl

Re: 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3723002;
    I came across this today.
    Seems the show, while still being strong, is facing a weekly decline in the ratings, so this is kind of interesting.

Does DeLay's Departure Leave 'Dancing' Even More Desperate for Ratings? - Dancing with the Stars - AOL Television
    Thank you for posting this link. It was very interesting insofar as the ratings this season being the lowest ever. Surprise, the cast is the worst ever.
    But I agree with MFW that the rest of the AOL "story," to the extent there was a story, was inconsistent and hard to follow.
    The tag line is essentially, "now that Tom D and his bad foot controversy have been eliminated, will anyone tune in to watch?" But they go on to say that everyone was sick of Tom and the producers must have been glad to get rid of him. So which is it?
    In all of the threads on this board, I can remember only one person posting that they liked Tom. Ok, I'm sure there must have been a few more but I've forgotten because of the avalanche of posts wishing that he would just go away, pull his pants down from his armpits, serve his jail time, and stop trying to dance.
    I feel very secure that Tom "the Hammer" DeLay was not carrying this show. Far from it. The real question, which I think the AOL writer was groping at, is who is carrying the show?
    I've said this before, but it is one of the great mysteries of the universe -----
    Why did they increase the size of the cast and not inject any greater quality?
    Adding a few more mules to your barn does not make it a racing stable.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3723002;
    I came across this today.
    Seems the show, while still being strong, is facing a weekly decline in the ratings, so this is kind of interesting.

Does DeLay's Departure Leave 'Dancing' Even More Desperate for Ratings? - Dancing with the Stars - AOL Television
    What I want to know is why AOL (or its content) is still relevant to anything. I was looking for the author so I could Google him/her and I discover that the article is written by the "DTWS Blog Staff." I dare say that any three randomly selected regular FORT contributors to this thread could write better, more interesting copy.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3723133;
    Thank you for posting this link. It was very interesting insofar as the ratings this season being the lowest ever. Surprise, the cast is the worst ever.
    But I agree with MFW that the rest of the AOL "story," to the extent there was a story, was inconsistent and hard to follow.
    The tag line is essentially, "now that Tom D and his bad foot controversy have been eliminated, will anyone tune in to watch?" But they go on to say that everyone was sick of Tom and the producers must have been glad to get rid of him. So which is it?
    In all of the threads on this board, I can remember only one person posting that they liked Tom. Ok, I'm sure there must have been a few more but I've forgotten because of the avalanche of posts wishing that he would just go away, pull his pants down from his armpits, serve his jail time, and stop trying to dance.
    I feel very secure that Tom "the Hammer" DeLay was not carrying this show. Far from it. The real question, which I think the AOL writer was groping at, is who is carrying the show?
    I've said this before, but it is one of the great mysteries of the universe -----
    Why did they increase the size of the cast and not inject any greater quality?
    Adding a few more mules to your barn does not make it a racing stable.
    Even though ratings are down, I'm sure it's not enough for the DWTS producers to get upset. They may make some adjustments for season 10, but I'm not sure I have confidence they'll be the right changes. I think they might have expected bigger buzz over Tom Delay (an embattled politican), Donny Osmond ('nuff said), Kelly Osbourne, potentially Aaron Carter, Ashley Hamilton following in dad's footsteps, Joanna's tirade from Superstars. But the media hasn't seemed to care as they have in past seasons. I don't really see this cast getting as much press as even last season. Lack of injuries and last minute replacements and will they or won't they dance before going into a show? I don't know. As I've said, I think there's a ton of things they could change and revamp. Hopefully next season they at least scale back the number of couples, even though that likely means some of my favorite pros wouldn't be back Also, what competition does DWTS have? I know it goes up against House on Mondays now, which has been drawing big ratings. I don't think SYTYCD will be a factor on Tuesdays.

But you have a fantastic point about the number of couples-why not get a better known cast or at least one that isn't as bad?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3723133;
    I am probably the one person who said I liked Tom. But for sure, I was not watching the show because of him. And although there may be some out there who enjoyed the controversy or felt bad for TD, I doubt there are very many who were only watching for him. OTOH, there may be quite a few who refused to START watching until he was gone. Although I think that's rather silly, I can only assume that, if anything, his departure will improve ratings.

I love your last question, and there really isn't a good answer. I wonder if they have these "stars" try to dance at all before casting them? I mean, we expect there to be a couple who are stiff and awful and just there for laughs. But this is such a big cast, and although there are some with potential, most of the stars (except for Mya) simply don't stand out. I love the story of the underdog who improves, and I will keep watching hoping to see it happen. But this season would be a lot more interesting, imo, if there was a bit more talent, or star-power, or both.

+ Reply to Thread