+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526

Thread: 10/5 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/5 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3720243;
    After watching for a second and third time last night's performances, I find myself agreeing with the judges with only three minor exceptions. Tom was scored at least one point to high and so was Mya. Johanna was scored at least one point too low. Artistic observation: Natalie's dance completely matched her body, although the technical content was on the soft side. Technical observation: Aaron's hand movement is totally boy band stage stuff, not ballroom. He may have peaked.

Irrespective of "fan favorites," here is how I see the dance pairs as I would rank them as one in a real ballroom dance competition thus far.

1. Mya/Dmitry (someone please tell me why she is not considered a pro dancer???)

(quality skip)
    2. Natalie/Alec
    3. Joanna/Derek

(quality skip)

4. Donny/Kym

(quality skip)

5. Louie/Chelsie
    5. Aaron/Karina
    5. Kellie/Louis

8. Melissa/Mark
    8. Mark/Lacey

(quality skip)

10. Debi/Maks

(large quality skip)

11. Chuck/Anna
    12. Michael/Anna D.
    13. Tom/Cheryl
    Very interesting observasions. (And I, for one, so appreciate your expertise.)
    I'm surprised that you rank Melissa and Mark at the same level. While Mark isn't one of my favorites, I thought he was miles beyond Melissa.
    Also, I have to say that in no other season has the prior experience of a contestant bothered me until Mya. I enjoy seeing her dance but someone who has choreographed is going too far and takes fun out of the competition.

FORT Fanatic

I of course do not agree with Mark being ranked so low on that scale. There has been some really fine dancing from him, particularly on the Quickstep, excellent dance position excellent speed, difficult footwork, great attack on the runs, but it just wasn't a single note... and really strong mastery of light and shade,(yes he had a trip that was attributed to his pants being too long) and I have to agree with it, because a rehearsal tape shows he was in control...and although he had some difficulties with his arms on the Rumba, he has a quality that is far beyond a tentative dancer like Melissa.
    Last edited by Andiemywestie; 10-06-2009 at 07:13 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3720173;
    I remember thinking after the first episode that Mark might win the whole thing. Now he's scoring 18 and squeezed in with Debi Mazar and Melissa Joan Hart. I don't know what happened to the guy. For one thing, he needs to at least pretend to be having fun. The talent is there.
    In my opinion, the real sleeper is Natalie. She breaks the stereotype on female Olympic champions. She's graceful, natural, nice, pretty, and has beautiful legs. She is making real progress.
    My chart says that Chuck is going home this week, but who knows. There's a lot of competition for the bottom spot.

She's at least as good as Brooke--and IMO has the potential to be a lot better--and without all the Brooke phoney-baloney.

I think she'll shine more once the terribly cluttered field gets cleared off a bit.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3720188;
    Do you ever hear so much drooling hype over someone that you are completely sick of them before you really know anything about them?
    Examples:
    Melissa Rycroft
    Jon and Kate
    Paris Hilton (invented the concept)
    please forgive me, but Reid from TB is getting dangerously close
    Terrell Owens
    Hillary Clinton
    I think it's called oversaturation. Luckily, this season's "stars", very few of whom are even interesting enough to talk about, do not have this problem.
    So we have that going for us.

Examples:

Gilles***
    Melissa Rycroft
    Jon and Kate
    Paris Hilton (invented the concept)
    please forgive me, but Reid from TB is getting dangerously close

***I know you didn't mean to leave him out!
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3720163;
    Why? He's polarizing for reasons outside of dancing. That's a lot of baggage for Cheryl to deal with, especially because she now deals with something very different than an ability to dance. She's very liberal, and more importantly those who support her are at the far left of the spectrum. The woman has had I'm sure a lot of sleepless nights trying to 'pitch the choreography' in the most palatable way possible.

She couldn't sleep worrying about Gilles dances. This must be far more challenging.
    I don't vote for the pros, I vote for the "stars" (such as they are ). But I would hope that anyone who seriously supports Cheryl would not be dissuaded from voting for her because of that. After all, she hasn't changed, and she doesn't get to choose her partner.

With Gilles, Cheryl had to figure that she had a good chance to win the whole thing, and rightfully so. Clearly that isn't going to happen with Tom, so I would think she could relax and not worry too much about the dances, knowing she'll be gone in a few weeks (at the latest) no matter what.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3720243;
    After watching for a second and third time last night's performances, I find myself agreeing with the judges with only three minor exceptions. Tom was scored at least one point to high and so was Mya. Johanna was scored at least one point too low. Artistic observation: Natalie's dance completely matched her body, although the technical content was on the soft side. Technical observation: Aaron's hand movement is totally boy band stage stuff, not ballroom. He may have peaked.

Irrespective of "fan favorites," here is how I see the dance pairs as I would rank them as one in a real ballroom dance competition thus far.

1. Mya/Dmitry (someone please tell me why she is not considered a pro dancer???)

(quality skip)
    2. Natalie/Alec
    3. Joanna/Derek

(quality skip)

4. Donny/Kym

(quality skip)

5. Louie/Chelsie
    5. Aaron/Karina
    5. Kellie/Louis

8. Melissa/Mark
    8. Mark/Lacey

(quality skip)

10. Debi/Maks

(large quality skip)

11. Chuck/Anna
    12. Michael/Anna D.
    13. Tom/Cheryl

Very interesting list! I'm surprised you put Joanna so high - she just doesn't seem that good to me. Of course, I never heard of her before the show, so that doesn't help my opinion of her either.

Mya is a beautiful dancer, but I don't think she'll win. I'm afraid she'll either get voted off early because of the backlash from her dancing experience, or she'll last until the end but fail to impress enough to win just because she's been so good all along (a la Gilles). Which is why I tend to favor the stars who are not that great at the beginning and have plenty of room for improvement. I'd love to see someone like Kelly win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3720250;
    Very interesting observasions. (And I, for one, so appreciate your expertise.)
    I'm surprised that you rank Melissa and Mark at the same level. While Mark isn't one of my favorites, I thought he was miles beyond Melissa.
    Also, I have to say that in no other season has the prior experience of a contestant bothered me until Mya. I enjoy seeing her dance but someone who has choreographed is going too far and takes fun out of the competition.
    Mark could easily be just below Donny on my list. I have only two points separating places 5-9, so moving Louie/Chelsie, Aaron/Karina, Kellie/Louis, Melissa/Mark, or Mark/Lacey in any order would cause me no consternation. Perhaps my only issue with Mark is that I expected him to be a better technical dancer than he has thus far shown. Melissa did a few technical things very very well which the judges didn't mention, but I would not expect her to improve significantly in the weeks ahead, while Mark may find himself.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3720318;
    Very interesting list! I'm surprised you put Joanna so high - she just doesn't seem that good to me. Of course, I never heard of her before the show, so that doesn't help my opinion of her either.
    I am aware of some of the criticism of Joanna. I give it zero consideration in my evaluation of her among the dance pairs. It is not relevant to ballroom dance scoring.

Clearly she benefits some from her pairing with Derek, but I see considerable potential in her. I wish I could spend an hour with her in the studio to correct a couple of things Derek has allowed her to do with detract from the fluidity of her movement and her body extension coming out of "hold." (I do not expect she will win, but I understand why Len, in particular, has had positive things to say about her.)

FYI, to those who are unaware. I don't have favorites. I'm not a fan of the show. I've just spent four decades of my life in the ballroom and look at the dancers from that perspective.
    Last edited by Peacheater; 10-06-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added an FYI as a caveat.

+ Reply to Thread