+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 10/5 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

sdl

Re: 10/5 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

A few random observations:
    1) Tom is just gross. Don't care about the foot fractures; just go home.
    2) Can't understand why Michael is so bad. Puzzling, but I think he got the worst teacher. She needs to go.
    3) I can't remember a season when so many contestants were clustered at the bottom....which is a nice way of saying that almost everyone sucks.
    4) Donny is not dancing as well as he does in his Las Vegas show, but better than Marie.
    5) Joanna has totally faded.
    6) Some people I can't even remember....I'm pretty sure Melissa danced, maybe Mark, not sure about Debi. I only remember Maks being disgusted.
    7) Somebody told me last week that Aaron, the little hermathrodite, hooked up with Karina. I think they got it wrong. That guy is weak.
    8) The only couple with real chemistry is Louie and Chelsea - he is a total ladies man and it looks like his approach is working.
    Oh yea, and Mya is a ringer. Surprise, she's a professional choreographer. The only thing that makes it fair is that she has no fan base.
    Overall, the worst cast of DWTS ever.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3719787;
    Can someone help me with this?

Does anyone know the name of the Spanish song that Derek and Joanna danced to?

I'm studying Spanish and I'd like to look at the lyrics to see if I really did understand what the song says.

Thanks for any info.

ETA--my faves tonight--Louie, Kelly O, Natalie, and Donny. Please don't ask me to choose among them!
    I love that song too, so I replayed it using Shazam on my iPhone - which will ID songs that are recognizable to the computer. The band butchered it so bad that it could not be tagged.
    I thought it was Sergio Mendes, but really don't know.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm not ready to let Anna D. take complete blame for her and Michael not doing well. I don't think he's a good dancer to begin with, and while his personality and enthusiasm is there, something seems off. I don't think they have the best chemistry. Heck, maybe he's the celeb that talks behind people's backs, thinks he's cast with a bunch of nobodies, and is making things miserable his pro wants out. I'm not sure, but poor Anna seems like a deer caught in the headlights. She was 100x better during the pro competition, and I'm just not sure what happened. She may be the teacher, but she can only work with what he gives her. I don't think she'll be back, especially if the other half of the golden Houghs decides to put her music and movie career on hold to return. They're doing another pro contest this year, so if a female wins, she's probably out. They could always bring back Snow or Afton from last year, and of course they have Anna T., and Ashly DelGrosso who's always wanted to come back. A few comments about your post sdl:

3) I can't remember a season when so many contestants were clustered at the bottom....which is a nice way of saying that almost everyone sucks.
    I'm wondering if it's a nice way to try and keep the scores close so as not to say everybody sucks. We've always had bad dancers on this show, but this season takes the cake in terms of bias, favoritism, bad dancing, and ringer.

4) Donny is not dancing as well as he does in his Las Vegas show, but better than Marie.
    His dancing really isn't that good, but I'm still enjoying him and Kym. She looked so lost when he ran up to fake smooch Bruno. And Samantha actually made a funny: "you should have slipped him the tongue".

5) Joanna has totally faded.
    She's getting by on Derek's fanbase and the fact that judges seem to praise her for some unknown reason. Maybe it's all him. The Hough/Ballas reign has finally ended. I wonder if they'll be back next season.

6) Some people I can't even remember....I'm pretty sure Melissa danced, maybe Mark, not sure about Debi. I only remember Maks being disgusted.
    I don't remember Maks being disgusted He seemed pretty happy this week.

7) Somebody told me last week that Aaron, the little hermathrodite, hooked up with Karina. I think they got it wrong. That guy is weak.
    If they are dating, all I can say is how? Why? She might have cheated on Maks with him?!
    8) The only couple with real chemistry is Louie and Chelsea - he is a total ladies man and it looks like his approach is working.
    I love it even more because she turned Aaron down flat.

Oh yea, and Mya is a ringer. Surprise, she's a professional choreographer. The only thing that makes it fair is that she has no fan base.
    I'd love to root for these two, but it's hard. I like Dmitry but he better get a partner that makes him work next season. Lovely, lovely couple, but I can't vote for them. She's beyond being a ringer.

Overall, the worst cast of DWTS ever.
    I don't think I'll argue here. Way too many couples. Way too many bad dancers. At least with this many couples, get people with better name recognition and who can get some rhythm. But the odd numbered seasons are typically my least favorite. But heck, even season 7, which was my least favorite up until now, was worth watching.

FORT Fogey

SDL--hi and thanks so much for trying to ID that song. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell us what it was before it was murdered by the band and their "singer."

Also--you say--

"2) Can't understand why Michael is so bad. Puzzling, but I think he got the worst teacher. She needs to go."

She did him a terrible disservice. Couldn't have made him look worse if she tried to. IMO it seems more apparent week by week that she is much more interested in trying to make herself look good--regardless of how Michael looks by comparison.

She might try teaching him the basic posture for males in ballroom dance--just for starters.

IMO Chuck's partner/choreographer isn't doing him any favors either--and for the same reasons.

These guys are athletes and very attuned to their bodies. They CAN learn--if only they had real teachers......

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3719808;
    SDL--hi and thanks so much for trying to ID that song. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell us what it was before it was murdered by the band and their "singer."

Also--you say--

"2) Can't understand why Michael is so bad. Puzzling, but I think he got the worst teacher. She needs to go."

She did him a terrible disservice. Couldn't have made him look worse if she tried to. IMO it seems more apparent week by week that she is much more interested in trying to make herself look good--regardless of how Michael looks by comparison.

She might try teaching him the basic posture for males in ballroom dance--just for starters.

IMO Chuck's partner/choreographer isn't doing him any favors either--and for the same reasons.

These guys are athletes and very attuned to their bodies. They CAN learn--if only they had real teachers......
    It's called La Bomda by King Africa. Here's a link from wikipedia that lists the current season in progress. It'll list the names of the dances and songs and scores each couple had.

Dancing with the Stars (U.S. season 9) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I might have to disagree slightly, at least where Anna T. (Chuck's partner) is concerned. I think Anna is one of the best choreographers on here but has never really had a chance to show it. Watch her with Jerry Rice during season 2, or even with Albert Reed for season 5. I just don't think Chuck's a natural dancer. Some athletes have failed miserably on this show (Monica Seles and Evander Holyfield come to mind). Same with Michael. I think Anna T. is trying with Chuck, and last week with his tango showed she was trying to bring out his good and cover up his weaknesses. She tried bringing in his fighting background to try and help him with the character. I expected his samba to a disaster and I wasn't surprised. Anna D., Michael's partner, she just seem really nervous and uncomfortable.

Speaking of disasters, I hear next week are the new dances, which is probably going to shake things up a lot. I hope Joanna gets the country two step or Charleston and not some other sexy dance Derek can drag her through another week with. And Tom will probably survive this week, as country two step is his speciality So I guess so long Chuck, Debi, or Michael.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-06-2009 at 03:58 AM.

FORT Fogey

Karalott-thanks so much for the info!

Here are my thoughts on tonight's dances.

Mark and Anna - I thought Mark would have a tough time with the rumba and, sure enough, he did. His power, strength and sharp moves aren't suited for this sensual, fluid dance.

Joanna and Derek - I did not like this samba. Derek was doing most of the dancing and Joanna was kind of trying to keep up. I didn't think she captured the essence and feel of the wild abandon and booty shaking of the samba. She seemed tentative, lost the beat and made some missteps. Fortunately for her, the judges just blew them off and gave her a higher score than she deserved.

Mya and Dimitry - I am not going to discuss this whole ringer issue. The girl has dancing experience, but that will not help you with the rumba. She had some great fluid moves and lines and they captured the fluid movement and passion of this dance. There was no way she deserved that 7 from Len. Maybe it's too early to take out the 10 cards, but a 7? After Len gave Joanna an 8 for that half-baked samba? Len, you need glasses!

Melissa and Mark - Melissa is able to have fun and get into the spirit of the dance. I thought she captured the essence of the samba better than Joanne, but her footwork and timing are off. She has the enthusiasm, now she just needs the technique.

Louie and Chelsie - I didn't like Louie at first, but tonight he won me over. This guy seemed to truly embrace the rumba. He clearly enjoyed the passionate moves with Chelsie. He is fun and entertaining to watch. The technique wasn't great, but it was just a joy to see them together. They definitely captured the feeling of the dance, that's for sure. But Len doesn't like Louie, so he gave him a 5. Even with Louie's hair slicked back, it didn't help.

Debi and Maks - I was hoping that Debi could relax and just go out there and dance. But that didn't happen. She seems so tentative and nervous. I don't know why she can't just let go, but this week she could be in the bottom two again and could go home.

Donny and Kym - I don't think Donny was comfortable with the sensual aspect of this dance, but he gave it the old college try. Kym is a genius with her choreography and again showed off Donny's strengths. It had a certain charm, even if the real passion wasn't there.

Michael and Anna - I do have to say that I think Anna is in over her head. She does bear some of the responsibility for their flat samba. I think that Cheryl or Edyta or Kym could do wonders with Michael. He might never be a great dancer, but they would definitely use his size and strength and go for entertainment. This samba didn't work on a technical or an entertainment level.

Natalie and Alex - This was the breakout dance of the night for me. I have been waiting for Natalie's potential to finally come out and it sure did in their rumba. I think this was the best pure rumba of the night. Alex has somehow given Natalie belief and confidence in herself. She was much more relaxed and had some great hip action and fluid, smooth moves. She is definitely one to watch.

Chuck and Anna - Their samba was awkward and painful to watch. I appreciate the fact that Anna went for entertainment value over technical skill, realizing Chuck's dancing limitations.

Aaron and Karina - I did not like this rumba. I expected more chemistry between these two. Aaron seemed way too stiff and wooden for the smoothness and fluid moves required in the rumba. This was a step back for him, but I fully expect him to come back strong next week.

Tom and Cheryl - Could someone please make this man stop dancing? For heaven's sake, the man has stress fractures in his feet! It's just not worth it. The dance was nothing that even vaguely resembled a samba. The doctors have to step in and make him withdraw for his own good, before he can't walk anymore.

Kelly and Louis - Louis is probably the best choreographer of all the pros. He has been missing from the show and it's nice to see him back. He will do wonders with Kelly. She seemed a little tentative and nervous, but managed to do some tricky, intricate choreography very well. If she can just get her confidence level back up and then go out there and let it go, she will be fine. Louis will be able to help her get through the rough spots.

I still love this show! There are too many celebrity contestants for sure and a lot of them are mediocre, but there are always enough who end up being good to make it worthwhile to watch for me.
    Last edited by Nativenewyorker; 10-06-2009 at 04:44 AM.

I think that Len is being overly critical of Mya and Dimitry to balance her experience.

FORT Fan

My thoughts -

Mya was overscored. It's too early for 10s, and the dance didn't deserve them. Also, I can understand not downgrading for a little lift if you're giving a 7 or 8 anyway. But you CANNOT give a 10 for a dance with a lift if lifts aren't allowed. Sorry.

I thought Michael was better than last week. Not good, but better. The 14 was unnecessary.

Loved Natalie. I'm glad she overcame her nervousness and really showed us what she's got this week.

I feel bad for Kelly. She did OK, but I think she's got the potential to be a really great dancer. She's got to stop psyching herself out.

Chuck was really bad. He should have been the lowest instead of Michael.

I think Tom is cute. I admire his persistence, and how hard he tries. Obviously, he's not a good dancer, and isn't going to become one, but he's a lot better than I expected he'd be.

I love Donny. I'm a fan in general, and I thought his dance, while not sexy, was very sweet and loving. I prefer that kind of dance anyway. He really tried to put some emotion into it, and I enjoyed it a lot. I hope he'll be around for a good while.

If it was up to me, Chuck or Debi would go home this week. Their dancing is boring, and I don't really know who they are anyway, so I wouldn't miss either of them, for sure. It might be better for Tom to get voted off before he hurts himself worse, but I don't think it's going to happen this week.

FORT Fogey

Chuck is just embarrassing at this point. I could barely watch their dance.

I hope the voters put him out of his misery.

+ Reply to Thread